Is this player's advice outdated?

I play Luna and leveled up from 1-85 solo. All of my gear was obtained from quest rewards and event boxes for returning players, save for the Bolt which I think I either crafted or found somewhere along the way.

Currently I have:
+11 Shieldmaiden's Drees Booster V
+11 Shieldmaiden's Drees Engine V
+12 Shieldmaiden's Purified Prison Ring V
+12 Shieldmaiden's Purified Prison Necklace V
+10 Shieldmaiden's Purified Prison Crest V
+12 Ludwig's Agile Core V
+12 Ludwig's Booster
+11 Ludwig's Ring
+11 Ludwig's Necklace
+11 Ludwig's Crest
+11 Ideal Disaster Bolt V

With these pieces of gear, plus my PNA and costume, I have 541,654 Total Combat Power.
I met a player in game and asked for advice on how to get better gear and was told to do the Irina and David Lane training programs. This would give me bug lumps to craft the Judge Core, Booster and Bolt, and the Resistant Ring, Necklace and Badge which would be better than what I have and hold me over until I can get better gear.

So after three days of this player helping me clear Irina and David Lane, I crafted these six pieces, enhanced them to +12, tuned them to have physical properties and lubricated them to be Superior quality. I didn't bother installing chips since my current gear doesn't have any and I wanted to compare stats first. The player who had been helping me told me to replace my Shieldmaiden's accessories, so after equipping the set, I noticed my Total Combat Power was 375,824 (-165,830). I replaced my three Ludwig accessories with the Shieldmaiden's accessories I was told to replace and my combat power was 492,397 (-49,257). Re-equipping everything I had on originally, I tried mixing and matching different sets and found that of the six pieces I crafted, equipping just the Judge Bolt raised my Total Combat Power to 593,976 (+52,322).

I told this to the player who told me to craft these and they didn't understand how or why this could be the case. They asked if I enhanced the pieces, tuned them and chipped them, I told them I enhanced and tuned but didn't install chips. They told me to install chips, I told them that's stupid because this gear is obviously worse so why would I bother putting chips in it? According to this player, these pieces should have raised my TCP close to 1M and this always works for them, so they think I did something wrong.

What I'd like to know is: is the Irina and David Lane equipment now outdated and crafting them is a waste of materials, or are these pieces actually better than what I have despite them lowering my Total Combat Power by 49-165k?

tl;dr: Read last sentence.

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer

@Brighton said:
    What I'd like to know is: is the Irina and David Lane equipment now outdated and crafting them is a waste of materials, or are these pieces actually better than what I have despite them lowering my Total Combat Power by 49-165k?

tl;dr: Read last sentence.

Short answer: Yes those are a waste of materials and time nowadays.

Long answer:
    Not sure what Drees modules are, but purification gear is better than David and Irina's ones. Ludwing gear is similar to david and Irina gear and way more easy to get since is quest based, so in your case is not worth to get Irina/David except for the amp in my opinion.

You usually would aim for extreme gear + david and irina, or extreme + ludwing, then with that farm purification. In the case of the amp (bolt) David one is a bit better than Disaster's.

In you particular case, since you already got one of the puri trinket set what you can do is with the set you currently have try to do purification bosses in order to get first stage purification Weapon and modules, or you can even craft them in the crafting machine in the purification gear section. Save that in your bank and farm the materials to transcend them, mats can be get from the same bosses.
    Also save materials for the other purification trinket set(raptor) + thunderbird crest, even if you don't like it, you will need to get Pilgrim set with contamination hell material a bit later.
    Once your puri weapon and modules are transcended to stage 3 you can replace Ludwig core and the modules for the ones you transcend. Keep in mind that in the case of the modules I am not sure what are those drees modules you mention there so I would at least save them in bank before salvage. You should also get Nitocris amp from purification.

With puri weapon s3 + the puri mod set s3 + whatever else you have, you should have from 700k to +1 mill tcp depending on enhancement level, tunes, pna, etc.

What I would do after that is start farming Wolfgang and Hoffman Training programs in order to get the Demon's night set, and with that replace the ludwing stuff, heck you can even get the released version of the set with parasols from one of the events (you need 150 parasols)

Once you have Demon's night Cosmic set your tcp should increase even more and you should be able to do contamination hell with other people. Some people may tell you: do contamination Hell stuff before doing wolfgang and Hoffman, but in my opinion hell is a bit harder and less forgiving than wolf and hoff raids. You can easily do Wolf raid in normal mode with a mill tcp or even less solo, or even faster with other people, Hoffman may take a bit longer soloing.

I don't play Luna, but I am actually just in the state you should be in her, this in order to farm demon's night.
    My Luna with extreme set (Planar gate lvl 75) + puri prison set + puri weapon s3 + puri mods s2 + David amp have more than 870 k tcp and that is considered very low nowadays.

Answers

• What I'd like to know is: is the Irina and David Lane equipment now outdated and crafting them is a waste of materials, or are these pieces actually better than what I have despite them lowering my Total Combat Power by 49-165k?

They're kinda useful for when you're gonna get Purification gear, once you get the trinkets, amps and modules you can salvage them