Fun community event ideas!

edited September 2017 in General Discussion

Hey Closers!

We've been wracking our brains and talking with some of you in private about cool community events you'd like to see in the game. We've considered a lot of stuff, from PvP tournaments to fan art (and fan fiction) contests, character appreciation weeks, dungeon high score challenges, Twitch stream collaborations, to more in-game-centric events like double XP weekends and login reward events.

After thinking about it more, I decided it would be fun to open up the discussion and get EVERYBODY'S ideas. What kinds of things would you love to see in NA/EU that other regions have done in the past? How about things other games have done that you think would work well with Closers?

Community events are always about having as much fun as possible within the community... why not let you guys in on it? If you have a fun idea, tell us as much as you can about it. What would the event look like from a player point of view, how would people participate, and what would the rewards be like? (Don't worry too much about the logistics).

Comments

• Free cash. Break the game. Much fun.

• Looking at the whole character appreciation thing, maybe one day out of each month could give you some sort of bonus depending on chars you play or party with or maybe you'd complete a quest based on playing as or with that char. Party with a Misteltein and gain increased exp or something, or maybe his stats gets a temp buff during dungeons; and you'd have one for each char. As we get more chars, we'd get more days.

• edited September 2017

Something out of the ordinary, such as event dungeon BUT instead of just smacking monsters and move onward, be restricted to features that aren't used in the game, such as:

1. Tower defense mode (Already had a similar event like it in KR but we can make it more complicated than that).
    2. Support NPC only : Cannot use your character for anything, instead you will have to pick the right support NPC for the situation (Remember that we have items to temporarily summon NPCs and turrets and even bosses).
    3. Labyrinth: Talking about area 3 (high school)'s special dungeon, few people know about the treasure room, I think the whole concept of that dungeon is really good and can be re-used in a more complex way.
    4. Scavenger Hunt (Oh boy people hate those) : Drop codes into the game, either NPC dialog, graphics or things to figure out together and let the players find them out by using hints provided by the event managers.

BONUS: Bring back AOS for events only.

• @JustAPersonWithAMeme said:
    4. Scavenger Hunt (Oh boy people hate those) : Drop codes into the game, either NPC dialog, graphics or things to figure out together and let the players find them out by using hints provided by the event managers.

That one sounds pretty interesting to me. Maybe a clue to the next thing would be based on something near where you found the current clue or just random places hinted at in the beginning?

• Brain juices still trying to pump in between this and finishing up my final assignment for my current class before Friday's due date

Maybe we could have an event where bosses could be replaced by people on our friend lists? Special rewards for taking them out and such. (for those without friends, it'd just be a random player or GM's character) Y'know, like some dark version of them or whatnot.

• GraaanGraaan Member
    edited September 2017

Since this is about community events, I will aim to suggest in-game events with the point of playing with others and not being a lone wolf.

Breack Havoc in Dungeons event. During one week, some skill are given a small chance to proc an insta kill on non-bosses monsters (or maybe bosses too, but out of the end game ones, like plane gate, tiamat and the likes), and everytime it procs, a huge text would come out with something like "OVERKILL" or a certain sound, as to not make the proc just look like "oh, the mob died, it must've proc'ed". Or, have the skill's size ridiculously increased(for ex. Tina's laser beam), or some other changes to the skills that won't make them too game-breaking but would give a "OMG, WTF is happening???!!1" vibe to the players, and then after the week is done, the skills turn back to normal. (pretty sure this will trigger the need of many to stream it or at least record it and upload it later, and if they are in a party, while in discord or skype, pretty sure it would be a lot more enjoyable.)

Certain dungeons bonus/buffs would be good too, something around the lines of "Every dungeon in Plane Gate has increased drop rate of 200%" "All G Tower Rooftop Dungeons have 200% exp bonus" "Except Plane Gate, every dungeon has a small chance for X mob to appear, this mob has a 100% chance to drop this X rare event item, with it you can craft this cool thingy y'know" (the more people in your party, the higher the chance for the mob to show up.)

New character event, make a character, get it to max level before the event runs out, and get free (maybe account shareable) stuff, maybe a title, and maybe it also serves as a ticket to enter a lottery between all the characters created and capped during the event, and 10 or so random players will get additional prizes. (obviously, the number of players starting a new character should be great, making it more possible to both veterans and new players, to get to know each other and party and stuff)

Party bonus event, play with more people, the more players in your party, the better the rewards, buffs like Exp x(0.75 x number of people in the party. note: if only one, exp remains the same, at 100%)/ All damage related stats + (5*number of people in the party)%/etc.

Regarding the dungeon score event, there can also be a Speed or Timeattack kind of event, one dungeon is chosen weekly, and the PARTY with the shortest time clearing that dungeon, wins.

If you read this, and feel that some idead can be improved(or are worthless or whatever), be my guest and quote this post and say what would you modify, I believe the more we think of this, the better the result may be.

• I play Closers Indonesia and the ONLY event that brings players to the serve is the special ones like the winter dungeon event or the summer dungeon event. These special events have a unique dungeon with a limit of runs of 4 to 5 and they bring people because the normal maps are just too boring and they aren't fun to play them if you already clear them levaing only PvP and Raid Bosses and that brings just a few folks.

My sugestion is doing what the Closers Korea is doing keep updating the game with new content or events all the time so that way you can keep the player base on the game unlike on Closers Indonesia that only updates the game after 30 to 40 days making the serves a desert if the content isn't fun.

For exemple right now on Closers Indonesia they put the Seha and Nata 3 promotion event but the problem is thats all they did so if you don't play these characters there is noting you can do there besides normal content and they will only bring new content 35 days later since the event goes 7/9 to 12/10.

Another good ideia is give special rewards even for normal maps to players in a event like for example the Airport Training Map easy and cheat event could be finish this map 300 times alone or in a party and recive Irina Wings Effect Item a very expensive item that drops on that map with a very low drop rate that would keep players interest on playing a content.

• @Shereshevski said:
    Free cash. Break the game. Much fun.

Your post seems to be lacking an important ingridiant, let me fix it. http://www.dogedoor.net/wp-content/uploads/shibe-in-moneypool.jpg
    There, that's better.

• Although I haven't got any new ideas that haven't already been stated, I would like to state somewhat of a precaution. I would think it would be a good idea not to have "SOMETHING" going on at all times, (Even if that something is just a super simple, "Kill a bunch of monsters for XX consumables a day"). Speaking from my experience in Elsword, people get board of those kinds of "filler" events happening all the time. And when you get someone who's easily addicted when there are time-limited stuff going on, then you have a problem where people aren't getting all of their real world activities finished. Like Homework or sleeping. (Another reason to keep stamina by the way (Though I guess occasion unlimited stamina events could be a thing, for the more hardcore players.)

Although I just gave it a little more thought, and what about some kind of... Story driven event? Like, not something where you actually make a story/fanfiction, but something that's like, a mini-story available for a limited time.. in that mini "event story" it could cause you to do anything from run around and talking to people (for whatever reason the story entails for that) to doing actual fighting in dungeons, or just collecting stuff. Some sections could even require the usage of a party for a specific dungeon. Exact reasoning can vary based on the character your playing as of course, and that would cause people who play for the story to participate on multiple different characters even if the reward was somewhat on the lack luster side. The final reward should remain hidden though. Everyone likes surprises. :smile:

• I would like to see a dress-up-your-character fashionista event contest~ Well, of course when we have plenty of costumes in the future♥

• This game is going to breed a lot of Fan Art and you gotta capitalize on that. Have seasonal fan art contests with the winners getting some nice loot and getting their work posted on the loading screens or random Billboards in the game!

• Question with the pvp events. pvp even viewable as a spectator? Will that be implemented later? Otherwise, it'd be hard xD to show the pvp. I didn't find anyway during alpha so just curious.

• I actually like the idea of character appreciation (and I like @Orenglaive 's idea too) and dungeon high score challenge

another idea I got in mind are 2 various sorts of Hide-and-Seek

1. (this will sorta be more of a Discord community event) a GM will hide in a random spot at town/area and all players gotta find the GM and the 1st 1 to find the GM, take a pic next to him and post it at Discord will win.
    2. (this will be possible w/o Discord, making this 1 a better choice imo) this is based upon a community event from Code: Closers that I liked, but sadly died. the GM will pick a random dung to queue at, but before queueing so will the GM give 1 hint that's related to the dung (eg. "This place is full of dolls.", "This is where you encountered Hana." and such, making it a test of knowledge too). the winner will be the 3 players that ends up at same party as the GM while queueing.
  • BONUS: Bring back AOS for events only.

YES PLEASE

• EniesEnies Member
    edited September 2017

Since it is about community event, maybe we could have event that everybody in the whole server attends. Like for example "Clear 10,000 - 50,000 dungeons and get rewards for every tier the server passes".

• @Enies said:
    Since it is about community event, maybe we could have event that everybody in the whole server attends. Like for example "Clear 10,000 - 50,000 dungeons and get rewards for every tier the server passes".

That could be really cool! We could figure out how many dungeons all players have beaten - or even set specific dungeons/bosses to beat the crap out of. The higher the count, the better the rewards for all players.

There's some awesome ideas in this thread so far. Keep it up! I'm also interested in out-of-game events, even just little games we can play in the forums, Discord, or during the weekly Closers Twitch stream (which we'll be starting this Thursday ;D).

• @Azark said:
    This game is going to breed a lot of Fan Art and you gotta capitalize on that. Have seasonal fan art contests with the winners getting some nice loot and getting their work posted on the loading screens or random Billboards in the game!

Getting our art chosen to be on the loading screen and winning prizes sounds so cool

• JochiraJochira Member
    edited September 2017

@Spacecats said:

@Enies said:

That could be really cool! We could figure out how many dungeons all players have beaten - or even set specific dungeons/bosses to beat the crap out of. The higher the count, the better the rewards for all players.

There's some awesome ideas in this thread so far. Keep it up! I'm also interested in out-of-game events, even just little games we can play in the forums, Discord, or during the weekly Closers Twitch stream (which we'll be starting this Thursday ;D).

there are plenty in that case... if outside of forum: Town of Salem, 100% Orange Juice, Board Game Online or Cards Against Humanity are my top picks... though maybe scratch the later 2, they're not really for every1, unlike Salem and OJ

idk about Twitch since I almost never watches live streams in general

• Get those Tunes:
    Basically you encourage players to get 3 specific (or not so specific) lines for an item tuning.
    Ex. Psi Critical Chance | Physical Penetration | Aerial Damage
    Ex2: Rank A | Rank C | Rank S
    Doesn't matter what % they get as long as they have all 3 on an items tunes. Maybe even make it item exclusive so like a low level item that craftable for the events. That way they can either get lucky on the crafting of the item or lucky on the tuning. First one to chat link the item with the proper tuning wins.
    Things that would have to be manipulated: Crafting Cost | Sell Value | Item Base Stats | Tuning Cost. All of which are possible to do.

• I think an event with the fastest dungeon runs would be pretty neat. They can be per character too(eg. Week 1 Seha, Week 2 Sylvi, etc.). There's an in-game function to see the fastest times on said dungeon, so maybe that can be used too?

• @Enies said:

Adding to this idea, 'pseudo construction' where players can donate in game currency/items/materials to build something. The finished product could be say a cardboard npc that just stands there and looks fabulous and completely out of place, anything really. Something that will stand out for the NA server compared with the others.
    Individual players will receive rewards at specified thresholds and will cap per character/account along with dungeon clears. Community will receive rewards at different thresholds.

• This suggestion comes from a mobile game that brings out the competitive side of players.
    What this suggestion consists of is Number of Dungeons done/Done a certain dungeon task.

But instead of being all players together to finish the quest it will be focused in each char.
    E.g:
    This week challenge is to finish dungeons of our choice. All players will participate but will only count for the char they are using.
    Since right now we have 5 chars, there will be 5 places, the char on the highest place will grant those players the best prize and the second place a slightly lower prize all the way down to the 5th place.

This suggestion comes from a mobile game called KHUX where every Party ( Guild/Clan ) works for LUX which we get from defeating enemies, there are 5 unions, and each union competes with each other every week, the best Union gets the best prizes while the lower one does not. Prizes consists in Premium currency ( A small amount ) and medals to help evolve your setup.
    I think this would be the best event to put out there when there isn't any other event going on, making players play the game even more.

• Thinking about dungeon events (dunno if someone has suggested this or not, if they have, consider this more support for it), how about a boss gauntlet? Set all bosses at the player's level and just have the player go through it continuously until either a time limit runs out or (if no HP restores or anything like that) the player runs out of HP and falls in battle. The player's high score could be weighed against others of either the same level or the same character (or both). This could be done weekly or so.

• BunnyBunny Member, Player Moderators, Player Council

Definitely future costume contest events! I also think it would be really fun and creative for real life cosplay contest events specifically during anime conventions like the recent PAX and Anime Expo. I assume this will be possible since Enmasse did hold a booth at PAX and they can do the same for AX when the game officially releases.

• 1.Seems the weekend boost is just a common thing for all the other servers existing as a attraction for those who cant play much in the working days, and too much boost may make the players mis-calculate their exact fire power, one-blow-kill is also a ridiculous idea, when and what skill would be blowing may end up with solos, solos, and more solos, thinking more about reasonable dungeons for party or even expedition (thats how they call them in Maplestory) with great require of teamwork is a way.
    2. For character appreciation, a level-up appointment may be good, even with a same-to-unlimited stamina bar, for farming a character as fast we you can to lv67, the 3rd promo line, is just exhausting. Such events shall be open regularly (but a long time between), for the permanent special costumes and the lv up rewards is attracting enough for the following newcomers.
    You could also hold events like design competitions, like what Sega once a year in PSO2, the main topic of which of course, is costumes(But before that, fix those heart-breaking problems like Harpys Broad face and Levias obvious fatness than whats shown in her avatar,no more "fatvia",the nickname we call in the other severs, please, EM,Please), then set up for votes from the players, making the leading designs to get into the shop and reward for the winners(But another, Please.EM.Please. for not ruining the players designation when it comes to the game, just like what PSO2 did.)
    3. Dungeon TA, this would always cause meaningless high-grade blowing or more meaning less arms race for a wrong dungeon(expect the Dragon`s palace)
    4. TD is way too much a OOC design for what we know is withour phase ESPs, the other forces like the SWAT is too weak to deal with the monsters with their own setups. This may also cause experience unfair: once again, just like in PSO2, when the TD quests first come into being, the Forces, or Fos, with long range AOEs was dominating for the show, hard enough to balance in this way.
    5. Make all events to be with phase stones (the green one for shop items)as rewards, that would be a good inspiration for further recharging(important)