**** compulsive name hoarders

Every single reasonable name to ever exist is taken and yet you never actually see any of those in-game. I hope they do what they did in Tera some time ago and just purge them all for doing absolutely nothing with them.

Comments

• GenmGenm Member

its possible saving name for future characters or time zone difference from other people lol

• It sounds like you need to be more creative with your names. I was able to get all of the names I wanted and they are one word names without numbers or weird characters injected in the middle.

• nyxonnyxon Member

I just name my character based on simple things like colours, numbers, or meals...or types of economic system like ...imperialism or communism or capitalism lmao

• HadasyHadasy Member
    edited March 2018

Alts are a pretty big deal in this game, so even with a comparatively small playerbase, every player is going to occupy 5-15 names each, in just 2 servers. Had to be camping the login page during CBT release if you're going for the common high demand names.

Good luck finding a new name, stay creative.

• If you name characters after common words and terms, you're gonna run out of options quite easily, especially with the alts we need to have and level up to max our stats... That said, I managed to get every name I wanted for my characters so far... It's just a matter of being creative and not going for things that are too common.

• This always comes up in MMOs after people get frustrated with all of the "good" names being taken. Just wasn't expecting this to come up so soon for Closers lol.

I'll say the same thing I say to everyone that brings it up. There are tons of great names that are not taken, you just have to be a bit more creative than trying to get common one word names like Shadow, Death, Fate, Wrath, etc., because even without name saving, names like that are usually taken on day 1. I don't know the character limit for Closers, but assuming it's around the common 12-13 characters, there are literally millions of two word combinations that can be used that still make sense. Like ProudWolf, CruelStreak, VelvetFox, MindlessHusk, etc. Or combine the common words to make names like CrimsonFury, DeathKnight, etc.

• there's alot of good names still floating around up for grabs i didnt get my names i wanted but i dealt with it

• I don't see a problem at all, unless some unique nick you used forever is taken. Characters already have a name, and there will be a lot of alts and does anybody really care about nicks of fellow players anyway? Is it really such a big deal?

• @Yexele said:
    Is it really such a big deal?

Yes. I'm allergic to numbers or "names" that don't even sound like names. Contrary to popular belief, more X's doesn't add style. Luckily several of my usual nicknames are pretty rare.

• inb4 it's just another 'Kirito' person lul

• Honestly wish it was like Phantasy Star Online 2 or hell even PC overwatch has it, you can name yourself anything you want even if it's taken but you have an ID. And if someone adds you as a friend and such with this ID that is what will show up in the friend's list. In PSO2 it shows your ID and the name of the character they are on. Wish more games would be like that. I should have place held some names when i was in the Closed beta though. I wanted those Monogatari names. Rip

Only got one of them

• @Tsukihi said:
    Honestly wish it was like Phantasy Star Online 2 or hell even PC overwatch has it, you can name yourself anything you want even if it's taken but you have an ID.

I don't get why they didn't do this, really. The architecture's there already. Crew and friend list already shows both the character and account names too.

• @Hadasy said:

@Tsukihi said:
    Honestly wish it was like Phantasy Star Online 2 or hell even PC overwatch has it, you can name yourself anything you want even if it's taken but you have an ID.

I don't get why they didn't do this, really. The architecture's there already. Crew and friend list already shows both the character and account names too.

I thought at first that's what they were going to do but I guess I just got my hopes up

• @Tsukihi said:
    Honestly wish it was like Phantasy Star Online 2 or hell even PC overwatch has it, you can name yourself anything you want even if it's taken but you have an ID. And if someone adds you as a friend and such with this ID that is what will show up in the friend's list. In PSO2 it shows your ID and the name of the character they are on. Wish more games would be like that. I should have place held some names when i was in the Closed beta though. I wanted those Monogatari names. Rip

Only got one of them

What name did you get. might have been the one I wanted. Shinobu or Kiss Shot Acerola HeartUnderBlade. my fave from monogatari. you're lucky to even get one of those names. its a popular anime.

• i mean if you're trying to name your characters after real words/names you're a bit late lol

• yep which is why i have a lot of anime based names for myself since i was there CBT

• @MesheraAlpha I'm curious what names you were trying to get though.

• @Tsukihi said:
    Honestly wish it was like Phantasy Star Online 2 or hell even PC overwatch has it, you can name yourself anything you want even if it's taken but you have an ID. And if someone adds you as a friend and such with this ID that is what will show up in the friend's list. In PSO2 it shows your ID and the name of the character they are on. Wish more games would be like that. I should have place held some names when i was in the Closed beta though. I wanted those Monogatari names. Rip

Only got one of them

At one point its good idea becouse you can have your beloved name (everyone can), but on the other its not. At PSO2 i met 3 (THREE) players which used same nick as me, and 2 of them were vulgar, rude and rly offensive toward every player with lower lvl than theyr (not like they have high, becouse one have 41/30, and 2nd one have 40/33). I known they were new at server becouse soon after that i got my reputation ruined and ppl look at me like on this two. Why? Becouse when i met someone rude i dont boother to check ID. I remember his character/nick and thats all. Its good when you have friends with good reputation which can save yours after it got destroyed by some ppl (thanks god i had them), but not everyone have, so its not so good idea.
    Why everyone this days must be "Kirito", "Monomga" or "Tatsuya"? Its not even so cool, becouse this names already so mainstream, and copied so many times. Lets be honest: in this days even name "Shadow" or "Death" isnt so awsome. Think about something new. You love Kirito so much? Then make nick like him. Take 1st part of of your surname and fuse it with last part of your name (or opposite). If you dont belive read novel or look: KIRIgaya kazuTO.

• Oh i forgot to say about most terrible thing in multiplayer game i met: namespoof at Warcraft3. You have your nick, someone wanna have same, and use this program. Then he can have it and totaly ruin your reputation. He can even go to your game and start to accuse YOU use namespoof. He can destroy almost destroy your clan by his behavior (clan members gonna leave becouse they think you act like this), or make you be trow out of clan. Nice? I dont think so. Just think about new nicks instead of crying you cant be "Kirito". There is even funny movie at YT which show how Kirito struggle how to get new nick becouse his "kirito" is already used.

• whats compulsive name hoarders? xD I feel like thts dumb question lol

• @ItsJogee said:
    whats compulsive name hoarders? xD I feel like thts dumb question lol

Its just a thing where people think of names they will use later so they make characters with the name so they dont get taken

I can see the problem with same names though but honestly that is what IDs would be for. If people just immediately assume "This must that one jerk who is doing this and that everywhere" are just dumb. I'm not saying i want to be part of the Kirito hype (which i still don't understand, he is a horrible character), I would just like simple character names that don't have numbers or i's replacing L's

• BunnyBunny Member, Player Moderators, Player Council

What name were you trying to get?

• @Tsukihi said:

@ItsJogee said:
    whats compulsive name hoarders? xD I feel like thts dumb question lol

Its just a thing where people think of names they will use later so they make characters with the name so they dont get taken

I can see the problem with same names though but honestly that is what IDs would be for. If people just immediately assume "This must that one jerk who is doing this and that everywhere" are just dumb. I'm not saying i want to be part of the Kirito hype (which i still don't understand, he is a horrible character), I would just like simple character names that don't have numbers or i's replacing L's

Look the "Names" are just way to tell one PLAYER from another THATS IT. Seha is Seha not whenever you write as agent id that you call "name". So if someone implemented IDs of players they can just as well drop whole names thing and show id instead. Because your ID will be way to tell you from other guy.

• TsukihiTsukihi Member
    edited March 2018

@TaigaUsagi said:

@Tsukihi said:

Only got one of them

What name did you get. might have been the one I wanted. Shinobu or Kiss Shot Acerola HeartUnderBlade. my fave from monogatari. you're lucky to even get one of those names. its a popular anime.

I should have saved Tsukihi or Yotsugi/Ononoki and probably shinobu but I got Sodachi (who I find to be pretty underrated in the series) I loved her story. It's weird, I actually pretty much love all the characters in the show but if I had to say a favorite it might be Mayoi, Senjou, Nadeko or Tsukihi. I'd have to rewatch the show a few hundred times before I come to a decision

The name thing won't make me quit playing a game though. Overall I just think it's a simple feature that could be implemented like PSO2 but people seem to have problems with this aspect. The reasons are okay but I never had that happen to me before so I don't know how bad that is. Plus I'm just not the type to care if someone wants to waste their time going around to try and make you look like trash.

• read more books.

• DicersDicers Member
    edited March 2018

to OP: I can give you an original/one-worded IGN but most of the IGNs that I've taken are science/astronomy words.
    I do have a couple of usernames like Secret though.

• @Yexele said:
    I don't see a problem at all, unless some unique nick you used forever is taken.

I'm pretty miffed because because that happened to a pair of names I came up with that I've used over the years no issue, but somehow they already exist here. I think I got plagiarized lol
    That aside, I can understand single word names being taken, but this game has that problem already with two word ones despite not being that active, at least not yet.

@FoSizzle said:
    inb4 it's just another 'Kirito' person lul

Yuck.

@Areseno said:
    read more books.

I actually got one from a stage play I like just now, thanks for the suggestion.

@Dicers said:
    to OP: I can give you an original/one-worded IGN but most of the IGNs that I've taken are science/astronomy words.
    I do have a couple of usernames like Secret though.

Eh it's fine thanks, I do hope you are going to use them one day and not just let them rot in your account though.

• I can give you a one word anime name. i got 2 i don't need to be honest and 1 Random 4 letter original name. i don't need.

• To OP: You'd probably hate me for saying this but I play KR more than NA
    so all the usernames I reserved are probably rotting away.. if you want one don't hesitate to ask and I'll give you a list of usernames that I have.