We will be entering into maintenance on 12/09 at 3pm PST, and have an expected downtime of 2 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/closersmaintenance
Dimensional Gels will expire on 12/9 at 3pm PST, as soon as maintenance begins. Be sure to use your gels now!

Eme banning people without even giving a warning

I know that my crewmate Jews have it comming with his jews joke as his character names but at least give him a proper warning to change his name like what other games do and not banning people on the spot

Comments

• That is harsh just because of character name - I mean it is technically possible that could be your friend misspelling Jaws.

• We knew he was meming about his name. But for them to permanently ban him without answers nor explanations nor a chance to redeem himself is unacceptable. Is this how they usually give "Discilipinary Actions"? They'll just ban you without warning? Talk about bein injustice. Shouldn't they give him like a week or month suspension first with an explanation as to why he got suspended? Because that's how it is in most games. That's how you discipline a person. You just don't take away all of their hardwork because you were offended by a name. You give them a chance, if they really want to change then they'l' do. But if they don't, then that's when you permanent ban someone.

• A warning and change name provided by company, and any company does, is weird that EME staff don't .

• No offence but your friend had it coming. It’s called “taking responsibility for your actions” and if he’s not cool with it then move on to another game.

What other game does this? I know Runescape perma bans players on the spot.

• a warning? lmao,chooses to make an offensive name and then cries about getting banned? take responsibility for ur actions.
    misspelling jaws? must be some serious stupidity or fat ass fingers?
    injustice? why did u not warn urself before making such a name? yes injustice for eme, not from eme. they did the right thing
    dumb ass had the chance to change the name from the time they created the character.

• HimeHime Member, Player Moderators, Player Council
    edited November 2018

It looks like it depends on the severity of the name. With a name like "JewsDid911", it was pretty obvious the worse would happen. He's pretty much generalizing Jewish people and on a serious past event as 9/11, so that's pretty banworthy to me. Though, there are some names I think wouldn't deserve a ban (and would deserve a name change) which are names that aren't nearly as offensive as your friends, E.G "EMESucks", some lewd name, etc etc you get the idea.

From the ToS:

"Therefore, if En Masse finds a username to be offensive or improper, it may, in its sole and absolute discretion, change or ask you to change the username, block such user registration, remove the username from all aspects of the Game and Service, and/or suspend or terminate your Account. "

https://closers.enmasse.com/legal/terms-of-service

If your friend truly wanted to change his name he had many times to over MONTHS, as there is a name change item in the Cash Shop.

• Does it mean my IGN: Horny" For harpy gets me banned too? :monkas:

@Azette said:
    Does it mean my IGN: Horny" For harpy gets me banned too? :monkas:

Wow Azzy reporting. :^( Come back to Closers

But seriously I highly doubt it. I'm just quoting what the ToS for the game says, but I'd imagine no since it's not offensive at all. At the best it's improper. You can't even begin to compare the ign "Horny" to the ign "JewsDid911".

• @xHime said:

@Azette said:

But seriously I highly doubt it. I'm just quoting what the ToS for the game says, but I'd imagine no since it's not offensive at all. At the best it's improper. You can't even begin to compare the ign "Horny" to the ign "JewsDid911".

Or a name for mistel as ButtTrap or a name for yuri as BigBoobs lol

edited November 2018

@Melonchan said:

@xHime said:

@Azette said:

Or a name for mistel as ButtTrap or a name for yuri as BigBoobs lol

Yeah exactly. Those two don't offend people at all. Might make people raise a brow at but it's not in any way offending someone and/or a group of people. Those are the types of names I'd be surprised if they were banned. I fail to see how others can be surprised that "JewsDid911" got banned when they have such a name. The person had so much time to change their name with the EMP change name item. Even if they weren't able to buy EMP themselves they could've asked one of their "friends" to gift them it in return for credits or even ask EME Support to change their name for them manually. I know that isn't a recent name because I recall seeing that name during Tiamat's release, which was a few months ago.

The person had more than enough time to reconsider their name and they didn't, because they thought it was "funny". Take responsibility, simple.

• LustifyLustify Member
    edited November 2018

Orr if you don't want to spend moneys delete and recreate, and with that username definitely ban worthy

• I probably would not perma ban a person for using an offensive name if I was in charge, I would just force them to change the name. However at same time I can understand eme removing the person, keep in mind that we are on a generation of hyper sensitive and easily offended people. I would even dare to say that there is people on the internet for which being offended about almost anything is a job, so is no wonder that companies try to avoid problematic individuals who use racist names, even if it is a joke.
    If we also add to that the fact that many of the gaming mainstream media seems to hate on gamers and game companies, It should be not surprise that most game companies will try to be as most politically correct as they can.

I would be careful to not use any sort of name that may offend anyone, even if it is something funny as some of the ones mentioned by other people in here.

Just as example: people here mention names as "ButtTrap" or "BigBoobs" as some funny example that for must of us would be just something funny and a bit edgy. Problem is that there are a few people that can say that they feel offended about it, Specialy considering that some people use "trap" in a derogative way towards trans people.

In the case of BigBoobs you may find an extreme feminist that feel that is a misogynist way to refer towards females. Yeah, I know it may sounds dumb for many people, but there really is people that complain about that kind of stuff and usually they are the loudest.

So as rule of thumb: Avoid names that sound racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, politically incorrect in any way or even partisan if you are into politics.
    Also avoid saying anything that may sound related to the mentioned above, after all people can always screen shot you and report you for being racist, sexist, or whatever they feel offended about.

• salubri84salubri84 Member
    edited November 2018

i have seen worst names ingame and they are still not banned, in my 20y+ of playing is the first time i see a company perma banning a user for a name withouth a previous warning, funny thing i dfound some of the eme support/staff names pretty offensive in a context and i dont see them banning them, so i guess i souldnt be surprised by this action

• I have never seen that name IG before but with the recent shooting at a Jewish Temple in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania (TL;DR Guy went into the Jewish Temple and then proceeded to shoot and kill 10+ people in there his reason was he blamed Jews for helping the Immigrant Carrivan) and with the devastation of that horrific date in time (reffering to 9/11 where Hundreds lost their loved ones) I don't blame EME in the slightest for that person being Banned and I agree with @xHime on that he had MORE than enough time to get his name changed.

• @salubri84: Lol why would EME staff ban themselves? -.- That’s like saying rich people have more money than me so they should give me some so it’s equal.

Sadly, those who make the rules are the ones in power and will remain in it. If you can’t follow em, be prepared to face the consequences. You’re wasting time questioning the “injustice” when it was ALREADY stated clearly in the TOS.

• funny thing and im not being paranoid i havent been able to log into the client since i made that comment