PSA to every1 saying that we will have heavy ping issues after the merge

edited January 2019 in General Discussion

now, I know lots of ppl will still assume this despite my post but I still wanna try to help clear it up.

ok... so, I've seen lots of ppl complaining about heavy pings (most of them are from NA players, obviously) and I just wanna ask you guys: have you ever played together with EU players at an MMO or at least tried out an EU MMO server? and if you're an complaining EU player, have you ever played together with NA players at an MMO or at least tried out an NA MMO server?

now, I can already predict that the answer will be "No". For those of you that actually answered with my predicted answer: read further. if not, you can either stop reading or just read for good knowledge.

ok, so the distance between EU and NA is actually quite small in the cyber world, so the distance issues are almost non-existent. cuz of that, the ping will actually be quite low. I can assure you that you will hardly feel a difference (especially if you're NA). now, I don't PvP, but I at least have some knowledge, so at PvP so might it become a small issue cuz it works more peer 2 peer. PvE isn't peer 2 peer, so there the ping will be quite normal.

I admit that i'm an EU player that plays at EU, but hear me out. I've played at NA servers too (namely at Elsword, but there are a few other MMO too, including global servers) and I can confirm that the ping, lag and such i'm experiencing at both EU and NA servers and with only EU players, only NA players and mixed have been the same 90% of the time. the 10% it haven't been so have it always been cuz the player in question got a real bad connection, which means that high ping might be cuz of the player in question and not necessarily distance. of cuz, others have confirmed that they've been able to play smoothly even while i'm hosting.

Comments

• we will see everything soon

• I am a NA player that only lives one state away from the NA server. recently I tried playing on the EU servers a few times just for fun and didn't get any lag at all.

• Also keep in mind that while is true that a big distance between continents may give you more ping. One of the main things that gives people lag is bad routing. You could legit be on the same city that the server is, but if your ISP trolls you and route your connection to another Nation, or even another state in the US, you would have same or worse connection than some one who is in Europe but routed in a more efficient way.
    Also this particual Issue have no relation with your connection speed: You could have a gigabit connection, but if your isp decides to send your data packages from USA to Spain, then to France, then to Brazil and then back to the server in USA, youll get a lot of hops there and most likely a lot of lag, this even if you are near the server.

I know this for a fact 'cause on another mmo I played in the past, I knew their server's domain name, so I was able to traceroute my connection to their server. Many times when I was laging it was neither my local connection nor it was the Server. The problem was my internet provider or maybe some dns server being reseted and then changing my route from an average of 8 - 12 hops to 20 or even more. Many times it sent the data to nodes in Europe or even Asia to finally reach the server that was in the US. Of course most of the times ISPs will route your data in a decent way, but there are times when you may get trolled.

• I play on NA from EU and it's alright, if anything happens it's on my end anyways.
    I honestly just fear for the PvP side of things as it's p2p.

• @Jochira said:
    now, I know lots of ppl will still assume this despite my post but I still wanna try to help clear it up.

I just wanna ask you guys: have you ever played together with EU players at an MMO or at least tried out an EU MMO server? and if you're an complaining EU player, have you ever played together with NA players at an MMO or at least tried out an NA MMO server?

Yes many times and it's has been horrible. Most recent experience? Blade & Soul.
    I was in a guild with many european players and they had horrible ping (>200ms), I don't even have to mention PvP which it's the core of this game and it was completely awful for them so yeah basically unplayable. Meanwhile me playing in EU with 150, 180, 220ms was a terrible idea too at least I understood their pain.

As for Closers, nah. It's bearable. At least until they tried PvP which was unplayable but that thing regardless of the ping it's unplayable anyways. I don't think they are going to lag when the merge happens.