Name-Selling Discussion

2»

Comments

• @DarkLightning said:
    Wow. Just wow. When I first read this topic I thought name selling was being listed off site or something but I didn't even realize this was directly on EME's own forums. Many games don't specifically don't have a rule stating name selling isn't allowed but it's heavily implied doing so could get you banned and even if they do allow it at their own risk, they would never allow it to happen on their own property (i.e. the forum's marketplace). That's a huge red flag imo and a big turn off to new potential players if they go looking around our forums and discover this. It makes the publisher look unprofessional and makes it feel more like a private server than an official server.

10/10 I don't think anybody could've said it better. I really hope EME takes this statement to heart.

• counterpointcounterpoint Member, Player Moderators
    edited February 2019

@DarkLightning said:
    When I first read this topic I thought name selling was being listed off site or something but I didn't even realize this was directly on EME's own forums.

Well, this may actually be a separate but related issue. In TERA PC in the past, they had a policy that name selling was not permitted on the official forum, but it was not forbidden if you arranged it elsewhere (including the official Discord) for in-game currency only. The fact that the TERA PC forum had a different policy about this is one of the reasons this entire question came up.

So basically, there might be multiple tiers of questions:

1) Should it be allowed or not in general (assuming it's for in-game currency only)?
    2) Assuming it's allowed in general, should it be allowed in official EME channels? (Forums, Official Discord, etc.)
    3) Assuming it's allowed on the Official Forum, should it all be required to be confined to a single designated thread, or allowed anywhere?

This particular thread is focused mostly on the first issue (should it even be allowed at all), but based on that decision the other questions would either follow or not.

It sounds like your stance on the first question is more like it should be "begrudgingly tolerated, but not at all encouraged," and so that would drive the policy on the follow-up questions.

• @counterpoint said:

This particular thread is focused mostly on the first issue (should it even be allowed at all), but based on that decision the other questions would either follow or not.

This thread focuses on the players opinion regarding the topic in general, if they like it/dislike it and to what extend they feel comfortable/uncomfortable with it. Everyone can give their opinion on name selling, there really aren't any "tiers of questions".

• Basically what it boils down to, yes. Apparently players with too much time on their hands can just flip out a name list / dictionary, create accounts full of characters with common names from there, then charge whatever they please in case someone wanted to actually use it.
    Don't ask how new players will get the "ingame" currency to pay for names that got taken hostage.

• counterpointcounterpoint Member, Player Moderators

@Shinoru said:

@counterpoint said:

This thread focuses on the players opinion regarding the topic in general, if they like it/dislike it and to what extend they feel comfortable/uncomfortable with it. Everyone can give their opinion on name selling, there really aren't any "tiers of questions".

I wasn't trying to imply at all that people couldn't have or give opinions about all the questions at all, but I was just trying to organize it. If everyone thinks it's outright bad 100% of the time, then the question of whether it should go on the forum or not is obvious. If people only say that it's bad for it to show up on the forum, but don't think that EME should ban everyone who does it, it's a slightly different point and EME's "takeaway" might be different. I'm just trying to distinguish between these points so that it's more clear.

• KH379J6FH4KH379J6FH4 Member
    edited March 2019

You can use the Mail feature in game to verify which names are taken, it also displays their character and level.
    There's an endless amount of names taken by level 1 Seha characters.

Finishing the tutorial leaves your character at level 10, so all these level 1 characters were created with the sole purpose of keeping the names from other players that would have actually used them. At the very least a measure to reset the names that were never used would be nice.It won't happen.

• Eh. Most MMOs ban this for a reason. It's just downright unfair since more often than not it's not somebody selling their old name, but rather just hoarding names to profit off of. Especially when it comes at the cost of EU player losing their names, it's basically staff approved cheating - you can profit easily by stealing somebody's username, then giving it back to them (after they've grinded out credits and you've done nothing, of course.)

It's just morally wrong and I think even the idea of supporting it currently reflects back on the company badly. It wouldn't be so bad if EU players didn't have their usernames basically stolen and old accounts purged, but as of right now.. I'd say put a ban on it, even if just temporarily until a solution can be thought of. Otherwise, you're supporting a handful of players who have the time to create mule accounts, hoard tons of usernames, and then just... be rewarded for it? Seems iffy.

• ShinoruShinoru Member
    edited March 2019

@Viinea said:
    It's just morally wrong and I think even the idea of supporting it currently reflects back on the company badly.

It's sad, really. When Closers was released for EU/NA and a long time afterwards I really liked the way EME handled the game. We had a lot of good events and there wasn't really anything to complain about. But somewhere along the way it just flipped and then the messed up merge came along and now this stuff with the Name-Selling. I hope EME can recover from this and somehow get back on track because I don't feel like the community is happy the way things are at the moment.

• I don't understand why EME decides to please those 1 or 2 players that are selling names while upsetting a big portion of the community, discouraging new players from playing the game and existing players to leave due to allowing and promoting name selling.

• It is quite laughable this topic has been here for a month without any sort of movement from the people in charge.
    Even the nameseller himself doesn't even try to hide that his shop's a questionable practice.
    Is this some twisted sense of kinship between businessmen out to make a profit without caring for customer satisfaction?
    I would love to see a response on what the benefits are of officially approving toll gates on character creation, because I sure don't see them.

• @Hadasy said:

I would love to see a response

I'm sorry to disappoint you but all we are writing here is merely feedback and will be handled internally by EME, there won't be an official statement or anything of sorts because that is not what they will ever do. If they make a decision u will just notice the changes afterwards.

• @Shinoru said:
    I'm sorry to disappoint you but all we are writing here is merely feedback and will be handled internally by EME, there won't be an official statement or anything of sorts because that is not what they will ever do. If they make a decision u will just notice the changes afterwards.

That would be the best possible result. Words are just hot air if no actions follow.

• HimeHime Member
    edited March 2019

There aren't currently any updates to give as it's still being internally discussed within EME. However, there isn't a decision yet for a simple "Yes/No", but to answer questions - Yes, as spoken about in the opening post, they have been sent this thread for review and further talks. Yes, they see both positive and negative factors on each side of this discussion. No, they currently haven't reached a final decision for them to comment on their own.

I'm personally on the side of I don't believe it should be allowed on the forums as it doesn't bring a good look, however, it's not possible to enforce rules when it's again, allowed. If there is a change regarding Name-selling, especially on the forums, then EME will be the one to comment.

• @Hime said:
    There aren't currently any updates to give as it's still being internally discussed within EME. However, there isn't a decision yet for a simple "Yes/No", but to answer questions - Yes, as spoken about in the opening post, they have been sent this thread for review and further talks. Yes, they see both positive and negative factors on each side of this discussion. No, they currently haven't reached a final decision for them to comment on their own.

I'm personally on the side of I don't believe it should be allowed on the forums as it doesn't bring a good look, however, it's not possible to enforce rules when it's again, allowed. If there is a change regarding Name-selling, especially on the forums, then EME will be the one to comment.

So in short, blowing hot air up our asses and letting moderators put up a show. Making them look as if they care about the community. Not nice!

• HimeHime Member
    edited March 2019

@RCmachine said:

@Hime said:

So in short, blowing hot air up our asses and letting moderators put up a show. Making them look as if they care about the community. Not nice!

The topic of Name-selling overall was bought up by a fellow Moderator, not by EME themselves - because we, the Volunteer Moderators - not just including Closers Forum Moderators - alongside parts of the community, would like to see change. As such, a thread was made in order to gauge both sides reactions and feelings so we can direct them to EME so they can then discuss it internally. And, as one could expect, there was a lot, and still is, much for the community to discuss regarding this topic. Again, while the answer is understandably disappointing, the only answer to give at this point is that "It's still being discussed".

We can try to answer any additional questions that come, but apologies, there simply isn't an answer to give by EME themselves at this time. I sincerely hope, as we push on this topic frequently, that an answer does come in a timely manner as I do agree that the community is deserving of one.

• @Hime said:
    there was a lot, and still is, much for the community to discuss regarding this topic.

A simple poll would help:
    For
    Against
    Indifferent

• hmmm.... Having read some of the newer posts in this thread, I still don't think the act of selling names should be disallowed for the following reasons:
    1. People are still going to do it, even if it's against the rules. It will just happen out of the public eye.
    2. The end result of banning accounts that are clearly name-hoarding is actually the same - in the end, no one gets to use the name. If a banned account has their names cleared out, there's no saying that the same person will create a new account to take back the same names.

However, I do agree with other posters in that I believe that name-selling should not be allowed on the official forum, as - like others have said, it makes EME look bad.

Furthermore, I've mentioned this in another post in some other thread, but I do believe the EU players who lost their names to griefers who took their names deserve a chance to get back their names. Those griefers took the names of EU players will full malicious intent, and that's just not cool in any way, shape or form.

Anyway, back on the main topic, there's really no one solution that would solve everything. A naming system overhaul is likely impossible unless Naddic decides to do something. The next best thing is probably to have a name purge every now and then, which is what I believe a number of MMOs do nowadays.

• JinyoJinyo Member
    edited March 2019

Funny thing - as far as i got it all my more known "whales" or more rich friends got their names taken and me and other more f2p friendly/pure f2p still have their names. Those probably got 100% taken on purpose and should be banned asap.

Everyone that can connect the 2 things should be on my site on this. Especially since they were all on EU's TCP ranking they probably even got targeted - since only their char name got stolen.

Name clearing with certain time intervalls depending on the level of the char has been always been in good games. Even max level char's should loose their name after 2 years on inactivity. Also putting it in a more illegal way will ban some and stop some. It's close to gold selling.