General Questions Thread for new players to Closers (FAQ)

edited August 2017 in General Discussion

I thought it'd be around the good time to throw this out.
I've wrote answers to some questions I've been seeing below, but as I'll say at the end, feel free to ask any unanswered questions you may have about the game.
Before you read this, keep in mind that this is coming from a single player and it isn't the "definite" answer.

1. Is this game close to certain other games? (e.g. Elsword, Soul Worker, etc.)

Though it may be much easier just looking at the game play video to find this out, the core mechanic doesn't change that it's a side belt-scroll type action RPG. While various other games listed in the examples are similar, of course, Closers has its own unique game play. If I really have to compare it to an other game, I'd say it's closest to being a 3D DFO just in terms of game play mechanics, as you will hardly use the basic attack commands as you level up.

2. Which character is the strongest?/How strong is XXX?/What's character balance like?

This is most certainly the most frequently asked question about the game for the newcomers ever since Closers KR got released and NA was still in the works.
I'm just going to say this out front:

There are no characters in this game that's severely disadvantageous compared to other characters. (In PVE)

This is because characters only need to fill two conditions to be viable in Closers PVE:
1. Have an invulnerability/damage reduction skill you can use to eat through boss mechanics
2. Not deal zero damage

...Which all of the characters quite easily have.
Even if you divide the characters into tiers, there won't be great difference in clear times for the strongest character and the weakest character given you have the gear. And gears can all be farmed given enough time.

Overall, I would recommend looking at videos/just trying out the character yourself to decide who you want to play most. Since the story is actually translated out into English now, go get a grip on actual characteristics of each character and pick out your favorite one.

Now, in PVP, this changes due to the fact that amount of changes that was done to PVP in Closers KR since its release was so little that you could technically count on your fingers. All of the PVE skills are mostly the same in PVP with very minor limitations. Unless AOS makes its return in Closers NA(which I doubt) the only form of PVP available will be either 1v1 or 3v3. There's certain characters which are clearly superior in PVP for Closers. I won't go discuss on who's OP and whatnot on that regard, as admittedly I haven't played PVP enough since its release to talk too much about it.

3. Is this game P2W?

This is strictly based on how much En Masse decides to change the items being sold in Cash Shop.
In Closers KR? It's debatable. But most of your "specs" come from your gear and the costumes add on a bonus to your stat which doesn't account for too much compared to how much gear matters more. In terms of enhancing items sold in cash shop- they are very frequently obtainable in places outside of cash shop, but this again is dependent on how giving the events will be for Closers NA.

Using up a lot of cash definitely won't boost you through dungeons, though they could make it a little faster. In terms of PVP, all your stats get reduced to a certain threshold regardless of your gear(except certain stats), so it isn't "too" impactful.

Overall, all players have to go through the farming process that isn't sped up a whole lot with cash.

4. Stamina?

Also dependent on En Masse.

5. How does the job system work?

All of the characters "advance jobs" up to 3 times currently in Korean server. It will most likely be limited to first advance on release for Closers NA, and second advance coming soon after.

I wouldn't call it a new "job" as we are all used to with other similar games. There is no branching point for one character. You just get new skills along with your advancement.

At first, all of the characters are "Trainee"(name TBC in official release), which they get 4 skills. Then "Intern"(name TBC) which you get 4 more skills + 1 skill which can be unlocked through collecting daily tokens. And then Official Agent, 4 more skills...

Each time you get those 4 skills, 3 of those skills are normal skills and 1 of those skills are what we currently call "Finishing Moves" which are like ultimate attacks which have a longer cooldown.

I'm not going to discuss Special Agent here as it will get too long, but just know that all characters technically advance the same way and there isn't a "job" unique to certain characters or such. They just all stay the same and unlock new skills as they level and enter a new "stage". That's probably an easier way to think of it.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them below and I'll be happy to answer. I can't answer questions that only EME staff will know, though.
I'll write up another in-game tips guide later closer to Beta release.

Comments

• EmulEmul Member

Nice write up. I would refer to the jobs as what the game calls it to as Promotions, thats all.

• I'm kinda surprised they didn't release any Wolfdog characters such as Nata... they're only focusing on Blank Lamb.
    I'm still new to the game since I didn't play the korean version that much but what do you think the cap would be in beta?

• @LostAnxiety said:
    I'm kinda surprised they didn't release any Wolfdog characters such as Nata... they're only focusing on Blank Lamb.
    I'm still new to the game since I didn't play the korean version that much but what do you think the cap would be in beta?

back then in KR we had a lvl 30 cap but we had only 3 chars, Seha, Seu, and yuri. So for NA we might expect lvl 30-50 cap is what im assuming for beta imo.

• JochiraJochira Member
    edited August 2017

well, guess I'll be lurking around here, since I enjoy helping others owo/

and also, i'm not a new player but I haven't been following on KR contents too keenly, but Nata was released at start of Season 2 (after Airport was added) at KR, right? just so I get the general idea, since the other server I played at had all chars (up to Levia) at launch

• @Jochira said:

and also, i'm not a new player but I haven't been following on KR contents too keenly, but Nata was released at start of Season 2 (after Airport was added) at KR, right? just so I get the general idea, since the other server I played at had all chars (up to Levia) at launch

Pretty sure ye thats correct could be wrong tho its been 2 years since his release. xD, most likely EmE wants to start from scratch and build up to the KR client(since they update actively) tho so we "might" not be caught up to them but faster than the PS(hopefully) lol.

• @Akeida said:

@Jochira said:

Pretty sure ye thats correct could be wrong tho its been 2 years since his release. xD, most likely EmE wants to start from scratch and build up to the KR client(since they update actively) tho so we "might" not be caught up to them but faster than the PS(hopefully) lol.

well, all I want is Nata and then i'm happy XD

• It totally make sense that they bring only 5 chars atm. This way they have less work to do to start the game (and earlier they start, bigger community they get, since Soul Worker is coming and many ppl are hyped about both of these titles) ans also they will be able to give us constant stream of updates even if original version would slow down (I don't know how often korean version gets content updates).

• @AoiRyuu said:
    It totally make sense that they bring only 5 chars atm. This way they have less work to do to start the game (and earlier they start, bigger community they get, since Soul Worker is coming and many ppl are hyped about both of these titles) ans also they will be able to give us constant stream of updates even if original version would slow down (I don't know how often korean version gets content updates).

Usually monthly, if you refer to http://closershq.com/ where all the patch notes are listed and noted in. I dont think theyll slow down at all , speaking how JP, nor IND,CN, TW did either theyre catching up in their own way, tho NA can be a different story who knows.

• How hard is the game? Going solo is challenging or just takes time to finish it?

• @Pirukyto said:
    How hard is the game? Going solo is challenging or just takes time to finish it?

Early game is rather easy, once you reach plane gate - tia sides/raids is where you dont play BRAINDED at all (raids are mostly for partys but u can solo if u time things right, and such), hope that helps, i would say solo normal dungs then later look for partys for what i said above im assuming were getting a discord like they did with other games, but i guess not yet / unannunced(to make it easier to find friends, parties etc.)

• @Farnir said:
    Is this game similar to Elsword?

One thing I've heard a few times already is that, unlike Elsword, you don't rely on normal attacks for combos or something like that. Apparently they use the skills more than normal attacks here? I'm not too sure tho :x

• @IsThisElsword said:

@Farnir said:

One thing I've heard a few times already is that, unlike Elsword, you don't rely on normal attacks for combos or something like that. Apparently they use the skills more than normal attacks here? I'm not too sure tho :x

Skills are basically "your so called combos" you rely on them the most tho you can get mana fast with z / x (normal attack commands if using default settings).

@Farnir said:

Somewhat ye Naddic was the orginal dev team of els and made closers, so you may see some similar aspect / gameplay through chars. Other than that the grinding is more comfortable than elswords imo.

• EmulEmul Member

@IsThisElsword said:

@Farnir said:

I would describe it as basically Dungeon Fighter Online with actual aerial combat.

• @Pirukyto said:
    How hard is the game? Going solo is challenging or just takes time to finish it?

Every content is soloable as long as you gear up at the right time. Raid bosses that come out later may be more difficult earlier on to solo, but is also soloable when you get the gear from them.

Solo isn't really challenging until you get to raid bosses.

@Farnir said:

As I said on #1, it's more close to DFO than Elsword. Yes, it is made by the "ex" KoG members(though at this point I think the original members are gone) but I think the only similarity is that it's a belt scroll action game.

For example, while basic attack combo are important in Elsword PVP, you will hardly use them in Closers. You can use them in PVE to recover mana earlier on, but you'll soon find yourself just drinking mana potions and that usually is enough to spam skills without mana problems.

Even the character that is supposedly most focused on basic attack, Violet, mostly works on doing enhanced dash attacks and then using other skills to reset the count for it. In this game, it's more important to learn how to link each skills effectively since baaic attack is quite useless.

It also differs in the fact that while Elsword has very limited aerial combat- Closers is very much focused on aerial combat with the exception of Tina and Violet of Wolfdogs. You will stay in the air most of the time since it also gives a bonus in your damage.

Overall, if you go to detail, no, I don't think it'a close to Elsword in terms of gameplay. But I would play it out for yourself to find out how Closers plays out.

• edited August 2017

The main similarities to that which must not be named..... Elsword, is that the Naddic team who worked on Elsword (Up until Velder.) and left KOG are reusing their own ideas.

Seha: Base Elbrat with some Rune Slayer. (Including the old Sword Fire. The sexy and awesome one. Not that newer lame one.) He also has other similarities. Like how he was flat out the best of the original three when the game first came out only to fall behind later on. (But at least Seha still has his own perks even if his raw damage is the lowest. He'll end up doing higher damage against raid bosses than other characters in similar gear.) Also, there's the fact that they are both related to the greatest warrior in all the land. (I swear Naddic, if you ever release Alpha Queen as a playable character.....)

Sylvi: Code Empress but she performs her own slashing and electrical attacks instead of summoning. (Fun fact: Sylvi has the same Korean voice actress as Eve.)

Yuri: Blade Master with a touch of Rena.

J: Although he is completely different in terms of gameplay and has nothing common with any Elsword character, he does have some design and backstory similarities to Reckless Fist Raven. (Like being the veteran of the group and hair going white because of his powers.)

Levia: Void Princess (Complete with the proper implementation of their original idea for DM/VP to be a melee mage. Remember when she used to have those Physical Attack passives?)

Harpy: Wind Sneaker

Tina: Gameplaywise her closest match is the character rented from DFO that the Korean playerbase loves so very much. But in terms of design and overall demeanor, she's the closest to Eve. Namely Code Nemesis. (Rocket launcher, OC outfit has some CN design influences.)

Violet: Lord Knight with Empress style butler summons.

Hecatoncheires: King Nasod

Irina: Chloe

Vites: Design fairly similar to Berthe's. Some similar attacks. (But Berthe is ice elemental while Vites is wind elemental.)

Misteltein is completely unique (Design similarities to Chung aside.) and Nata doesn't really have much in common with anyone other than dual wielding in common with Infinity Sword. But that's where the similarities end.

Wolfgang..... is actually pretty similar to Ain, to be quite honest. (Complete with magically conjuring swords for Z attacks.) Which is odd because Naddic only seemed interested in reusing the first five characters and their first two job paths. (We're still missing EM and GA expies. Assuming Naddic considers J their RF.)

• @ActuallyEndgame said:
    the character rented from DFO that the Korean playerbase loves so very much.

But Korea hates Rose...

• JochiraJochira Member
    edited August 2017

@Pirukyto said:

I would say that for season 1 so will the gears you get from drops and while questing be enough for soloing, but starting from PG and LBK so will you need to work on your gear if you wanna solo properly, and you will often wanna solo while questing cuz some quests can only be done solo cuz it alters the dung

@ActuallyEndgame said:
    snip

you forgot Nata and Mist

• edited August 2017

@EternalDreamVG said:

@ActuallyEndgame said:
    the character rented from DFO that the Korean playerbase loves so very much.

But Korea hates Rose...

That's the joke.

@Jochira said:

@ActuallyEndgame said:
    snip

you forgot Nata and Mist

No I didn't. I talked about them towards the end.

• Does this game have longer maps, raid-like maybe? Or all maps are like 5-10 minutes long?

• @AoiRyuu said:
    Does this game have longer maps, raid-like maybe? Or all maps are like 5-10 minutes long?

depends what u mean like to travel from or just to kill a boss(reg dungs are like 1-2:50 mins for me, but raids are like 5-20mins(depending how gear wise and how you clear efficently or not) like i said before raids are no place to play brainded, esp if u only have plane gate / jester gear.

• How many ppl can play the raids? 20? 40?
    Does monsters have some unique and interesting mechanics or they just hit hard?

• AkeidaAkeida Member
    edited August 2017

@AoiRyuu said:
    How many ppl can play the raids? 20? 40?

4, is the max you can have in a party, you can eithe queue or gather ppl. The monster aka "Raid Boss" all have unique patterns" but the one youll mostly be fighting to get "hollow gear" it really depends we ight get her before Nerf or after nerf, before nerf she hits hard(which is wise to get a pt) and theres some moves she does for example: all ur team members must stay still in one spot other wise you all die, or normally you would use the "/escape" fuction to go to one area, so you all stand still in one area. Though i think its highly advsed ask other vets or watch vids so you have more knowledge what youre going against or simply jsu wait and see how it goes on ur first experience. (if Na gets the patch after obt does hopefullly)

• @AoiRyuu said:
    Does this game have longer maps, raid-like maybe? Or all maps are like 5-10 minutes long?

If you have appropriate gear, all normal dungeons should take no more than 2 to 3 minutes. Some longer ones will take 5 minutes(such as Boss Rush dungeons called Training Programs), but most times it's easy to be geared enough to blast through normal dungeons.

As for raids, it really is dependent on how much gear you have equipped. If you fall below, it will take somewhat less than 20 minutes to clear the dungeon. If you party up with people that are somewhat geared and you are somewhat geared as well, you will clear in ~8 minutes. Fully geared with the gear that comes from that raid, ~5 minutes.

Most dungeons here are fast paced, and it can be sped up by your own skills, but what's more important is your gear so it doesn't fall behind the fight.

@AoiRyuu said:
    How many ppl can play the raids? 20? 40?

There are no dungeons/missions currently that allows more than 4 players.

Every boss has at least one unique mechanic to itself, and most of them you will actually have to co-operate with your teammates or you have a chance to kill off your own teammate from not doing the mechanics. If you go to raid fights, everything hits hard. There's very few insta-death moments if you do the mechanics, though.

• Well I wouldn't call them raids really, seems like normal dungeons to me :O.
    But anyway - how many times can you reset your skills etc.?

• @AoiRyuu said:
    Well I wouldn't call them raids really, seems like normal dungeons to me :O.
    But anyway - how many times can you reset your skills etc.?

Well, they are labelled raids in-game and is significantly more difficult than other dungeons.
    There's no limit to resetting your skills as long as you have the credits(in-game money) required for it, which doesn't even cost that much.

There's also a VIP-item which was frequently distributed in KR through events which allows you to reset your skills without any credit cost, but it wasn't too significant.

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member
    edited September 2017

I've been following Closers since it first went into development back in 2011, or it may have been earlier then that, but that was the year i saw the game announcement for Closers at.. Gstar i think? It was one of those game conventions that announcement new Korean MMO/online game development plans and releases.

So in retrospect to how long Closers has been in the conscious-mind of the industry and it's audience; Soul Worker to me felt like a copy/pasta of Closers.

I don't know if people recall or even remember when Closers was first announced, but it was stated that Closers was/is a spiritual successor to a long running South Korean action rpg game, and for the life of me i can't remember the name now. (runs to dig around for old news Articles)

• @Neoyoshi said:
    I've been following Closers since it first went into development back in 2011, or it may have been earlier then that, but that was the year i saw the game announcement for Closers at.. Gstar i think? It was one of those game conventions that announcement new Korean MMO/online game development plans and releases.

So in retrospect to how long Closers has been in the conscious-mind of the industry and it's audience; Soul Worker to me felt like a copy/pasta of Closers.

I don't know if people recall or even remember when Closers was first announced, but it was stated that Closers was/is a spiritual successor to a long running South Korean action rpg game, and for the life of me i can't remember the name now. (runs to dig around for old news Articles)

Either Elsword or DFO

• Do u guys know what might be the level cap on release?

• @Pirukyto said:
    Do u guys know what might be the level cap on release?

After having gone to the community hangout, I can tell you that the initial cap will be 60 with Plane Gate available.