Kritika servers are back up, and you should be able to freely enter the game. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

End of July Update, Starhenge Gear Explanation, and Designers Intent

Thank you for your patience, and your overwhelming feedback in the past few days. We have been working with the designers to get answers to your questions, but it will help to begin by looking at the future of Kritika Online and changes coming in the next update. We hope this information will provide more clarity, and open further dialog for feedback. It is a lot of information (with cool diagrams, even), so take your time, read through, and reply away!

Regarding the Recent Change to Starhenge Gear:

With our latest update, v153, we made Starhenge gear tradeable on the Auction House for Kred. Like we said in the patch notes, gear in Kritika Online will be ever-evolving and we wanted to get the current gear into more player’s hands. You asked for, and rightly deserve, more information—so here is what I was able to track down in my discussions with the dev team.

To start, we believe this diagram best explains our intent for the three types of end game gear:

(Quest Reward Gear is also included in the "low-tier" category.)
Please Note: The "100% guarantee" for medium-tier gear is guaranteed based off average play from between 10-30 days. If the item doesn't drop during that time period outright, you will have enough materials to make it craftable.

As you can see, we are only in the middle phase of Starhenge gear currently. By the end of July we will be moving on to the top-end Starhenge gear, which will be Bind on Account—not tradeable. In general, we expect players to fall into these three categories, based on their playtime. We want Low gear to be readily accessible, Middle gear to require effort and allow players to be competitive, and for the High gear to be for the most hardcore of players.

We believe that collecting gear is one of the best parts of an RPG. Previously, we felt we were lacking in this category because you are unable to trade most of the items you obtain, and it does not feel good when you get the same legendary item repeatedly. Therefore, we made the decision to change the Middle gear to be tradeable and allow players to earn in-game currency from the duplicates, starting in August.

This approach also has its flaws—for example, supply is outpacing demand right now. Due to this, we will add the ability to use these same items for enhancements.

A much simpler diagram with our intent for repeatable obtained items after the August update:

We will continue to monitor the supply and demand and ensure that pricing is stable and that players are having a rewarding experience regardless of how much time or money they are spending in Kritika Online.

Upcoming Auction House Changes

The Auction House is getting updated at the end of July. The biggest change is that we are vastly expanding what can be traded for gold on the Auction House. In-fact most items from the EMP Store will be available to sell on the Auction House for gold.

Crafting items, and dropped items will remain tradeable via Kred on the Auction House as bind on equip. This includes the current Starhenge items that we recently changed (see the above explanation).

In addition, the Auction House will have a minimum and maximum sales price of either gold or Kred. This price is determined by the data we have collected and we totally expect to get a few of these values wrong at first. However, we have plans to update these values in real time as we see the need. Fortunately, we built tools to allow us to do this in real time (versus in a patch).

That being said, we recognize that some of you have put certain items up for sale on the Auction House with prices outside these ranges. So with the end-of-July update, we will be returning your unsold items to you, and if you’d still like to put them on the Auction House (within the new prices ranges), you’ll be able to relist them.
We are going to continue to work to provide a safe and fun social economy for you, so please keep providing feedback and we will continue to listen and do our best to improve.

For reference, here is what items bind, and what trade types will look like at the end of July update:

Free Players—Design Intent

Kred is a unique currency in the En Masse version of Kritika Online. It was designed specifically for us to help prevent the game from becoming “pay-to-win,” because not only is it a paid resource, but it is also tradeable between non-paying players. We have been monitoring your progression—how fast you are gearing up, what you are wearing, and how much money you spent along the way. Our discovery was that free players were keeping pace with paying players. In fact, some of the highest-ranked players never spent any money.

It is our intent for free players to be able to compete with paying players. We believe we are on pace to match our intent, but we need to constantly monitor the situation. We love hearing your feedback and we always calculate and weigh each decision we make. Kritika Online does need to generate revenue so that we can continue to maintain and support the game and community, and finding this balance can be difficult—so please continue to provide feedback and call us out when we stray too far, one way or the other.

Money Circulation after the End of July Update

We want to improve the value of the money you earn, be it Kred, EMP, or gold. Giving more ways to utilize this money is one such way. With the end of July update we hope to diversify the creation, circulation, and spending of money. In the case of gold, enhancement was by far the biggest usage. Aside from crafting and merging, there weren’t many other ways to spend it. This is one of the driving factors in allowing many of the EMP Store items to be sold for gold on the Auction House. We fully expect this to accelerate gold usage, stimulate circulation between players, and overall drive more urgency to obtain gold.

The ability to do more with gold is important because gold is earned in game with time and effort, which we believe greatly benefits the free player. Of course, with this change we also need to closely watch the black market (gold farmers) and make sure that we continue to provide safer more efficient methods for the community.
We have been pleased with Kred circulation before level 65; it has worked as intended for trading gear. Unfortunately, at 65 there was not much gear in circulation. This was a reason for the update to allow Starhenge gear to be tradeable for Kred. Players can spend the time playing the market to earn Kred to cobble together their gear, as opposed to playing Starhenge over and over. We hope that this provides alternate ways of gearing up so you can start to experience more of our upcoming content—such as the updated Arena system rolling out soon.

Wrap-Up

This is a lot of information to digest. I hope you all realize that both Allm and EME are listening and taking your feedback seriously. It takes time to analyze the data and adjust to your feedback. We want to make smart decisions that improve the game for the community at large. We know every change won’t be for everyone, but we do hope that you engage us with constructive feedback and give us time to make adjustments. We are here to service a game we believe can be a ton of fun and we aren’t going to be able to do that without your support.

Comments

• WarFaceSystemXWarFaceSystemX Member, Pre-CBT Tester

Hmm, seems like it might work, will have to see how it works.

• UtsaUtsa Member

Will the new Starhenge gear be the same tier as our current "medium" Starhenge? If so, does that mean we will be forced to re-enhance the new Starhenge from +0? I think unless it is a huge upgrade from our current Starhenge, it would not be worth it to re-enhance the new Starhenge from +0 all the way to +15. Hammers are expensive (especially since you've removed the free to play player's easiest method of making KRED by making Artifacts bind on pickup) in the cash shop and will take hundreds and hundreds of normal hammers to reach +15. The free to play players have already used all their quest reward hammers on their current Starhenge gear and leaves no incentive for any of them to farm and obtain the new Starhenge.

• knoxxerknoxxer Member, Administrator, Moderator, EME Staff, Pre-CBT Tester admin

@WarFaceSystemX said:
    Hmm, seems like it might work, will have to see how it works.

Thanks! We think it will, but if it doesn't we will work to improve it further.

• ElysuuElysuu Member

@Utsa said:
    Will the new Starhenge gear be the same tier as our current "medium" Starhenge? If so, does that mean we will be forced to re-enhance the new Starhenge from +0? I think unless it is a huge upgrade from our current Starhenge, it would not be worth it to re-enhance the new Starhenge from +0 all the way to +15. Hammers are expensive (especially since you've removed the free to play player's easiest method of making KRED by making Artifacts bind on pickup) in the cash shop and will take hundreds and hundreds of normal hammers to reach +15. The free to play players have already used all their quest reward hammers on their current Starhenge gear and leaves no incentive for any of them to farm and obtain the new Starhenge.

It mentions in the announcement that they're adding a way to use legendary drops to enhance our gear, so it depends on how this is going to be implemented.

• GrievuuzGrievuuz Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Interesting.

:o

• wait you gonna make costumes bind on equip?...i was using my founder costume on 2 chars...this suck

• ElysuuElysuu Member

@Mazikeen said:
    wait you gonna make costumes bind on equip?...i was using my founder costume on 2 chars...this suck

I think that only applies to costumes from Kagerfeld's box and from the EMP shop, and maybe the ones that rarely drop from intruders. Founder costumes are probably the exception.

• @Mazikeen said:
    wait you gonna make costumes bind on equip?...i was using my founder costume on 2 chars...this suck

No our founders will stay Bind on Account, just from here on out the costumes we get or are getting now through stuff like Invasions will be Bind on equip, but sold through Auction for gold.

• ElysuuElysuu Member
    edited July 2017

@noctred said:
    Do you guys actually play your own game?

Drop rates for the current tier of Starhenge gear are so abysmal that even burning through RP bars on multiple alts every day will generally not yield anything of value for extended periods of time. Combine this with the huge loot table in every Starhenge DZ and no guarantee that a given drop will be for your class (or the correct variant of a given item if it is for your class) means that relying on drops for gear is, in a word, unreliable. Luckily, you have the option to craft it. Or had the option to craft it, since apparently the highest tear of gear will now come only from drops. Maybe there are some details missing from your post, like... idk... "We've increased Starhenge drop rates tenfold" or "We've narrowed the loot tables to something a little more sane". Otherwise, this change makes no sense in context. Arena ladder is probably going to be a bigger mess than ever. People without an army of alts will probably be as as screwed as they are currently, if not more so.

Also, in what world are people going to have duplicate Starhenge items to use as enhance fodder? Duplicate? For real? What tier is the new Starhenge gear anyway? Still T7? Enhance transfers available or no?

Artifacts and cores going BoP is questionable.

Allowing cash shop items to be sold for gold? Just call it what it is I guess - sponsored RMT.

--

All in all, I'm mostly just confused by the gear progression decisions here. Assuming nothing changes with drop rates or loot tables or smart loot, it just... makes no sense.

There's always the option to craft "duplicate" Starhenge gear as enhance fodder for those who have a full set of what they want already. The current craftable Starhenge system remains the same, nothing changes. They are simply adding a new roster of Starhenge legendary gear that will be better than the ones available in the current patch and they will be obtainable only through drops. This means that little to no one will have them including all the whales and the best way to get them is to have a full account of level 65s investing their RP into Starhenge in full parties with elite drop potion and hope you get lucky to find what you want. Hence, "for the most hardcore of players [that also get lucky as hell]". Only those who really invest time into the game and actually play the game will get the new BiS gear. Not sure why this is a big deal anyway when the current gear is enough to cheese through everything in the game, and when 70 expansion comes we will probably get craftable 70 gear.

• GrievuuzGrievuuz Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

@knoxxer How happy is the team with the amount of progress that has been made by the players over the last two weeks? Personally I'm ~1500 SH Extreme runs deep with 0 legendary drops to show for it, isn't that a little weak?

Like you said: "We believe that collecting gear is one of the best parts of an RPG"

I just made my 2nd piece of starhenge gear through keystones, and it's honestly disheartening that in over 1.000 runs there hasn't been any surprises, no "WOW COOL" moments at all, just fragments and boss souls.

It also completely kills any motivation to keep playing on a character after the RP runs out, dailies are done etc.

Can you also explain why the droprates are so misleading? 1000% at purple bar, 500% at blue, 100% at green - yet in 20 runs at purple I'll see at least 25-30 fragments drop, while at green I can easily go 20 without even one. The chances might be the same, but the loot "slots" on the bosses are also lowered, on purple its a very high chance to get 2-3, but on green it's 0-1, meaning the rate is not 10:1, but closer to 30:1 if even that.

Same goes for everything else, blue/green items, crafting materials, stabilizing hammers, everything.

It might be "technically correct", but still super dishonest and bad business practice to trick your playerbase like this. Please shed some light on these issues.

Also are you aware that the alembics crafted in Deeprock are MUCH CHEAPER to make than in any other zone? The auction house is flooded with artifacts and charms because of this :p

• @Elysuu said:
    There's always the option to craft "duplicate" Starhenge gear as enhance fodder for those who have a full set of what they want already. The current craftable Starhenge system remains the same, nothing changes. They are simply adding a new roster of Starhenge legendary gear that will be better than the ones available in the current patch and they will be obtainable only through drops. This means that little to no one will have them including all the whales and the best way to get them is to have a full account of level 65s investing their RP into Starhenge in full parties with elite drop potion and hope you get lucky to find what you want. Hence, "for the most hardcore of players [that also get lucky as hell]". Only those who really invest time into the game and actually play the game will get the new BiS gear. Not sure why this is a big deal anyway when the current gear is enough to cheese through everything in the game, and when 70 expansion comes we will probably get craftable 70 gear.

Uh... yeah, that's basically what I said? Anybody without a full roster of alts and a static to carry those alts through their RP bars every day will be SOL even more so than they are now (this is not a good thing btw). I'm not sure how much RP you burn across your account every day but the idea that a hardcore player, burning through multiple RP bars every day, can accumulate a full set of [appropriate] Starhenge gear strictly through drops in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time with the current DZ loot distribution scheme and drop rates is literally batshit retarded. An exclusively rando drop-based system with the current numbers is not a viable form of progression for any audience, hardcore or otherwise.

Being able to craft duplicate legacy Starhenge gear is irrelevant in the context of the new tier of gear if legacy gear cannot be used as enhance fodder for the new tier - and the verbiage implies that it cannot be. After all, we are talking about acquisition/enhancement of the new tier, which is what's going to be on the radar for people once it's released.

As for why it's a big deal? Because these are precursor changes which display a disconnect between how EME thinks the game plays and how the game actually plays. Unless there are supporting changes coming which were omitted from Smoreceror's post, you should be worried about this. Who's to say the same progression scheme won't exist at 70? Not sure I even want to get into what this does to arena or anything else with a leaderboard.

• Why are power cores being made bind on pick up? I use different elements on different characters so being able to port them over was really convenient. The change doesn't really seem necessary to me.

Likewise with artifacts.

Furthermore, could we have confirmation that the founders costumes will remain bind on account?

• No word on increasing the drop rate? Then I feel like none of this concerns me as Ive never seen a Starhenge drop in my time of spending purple and blue RP in Starhenge everyday since day 3 of OBT.

• ElysuuElysuu Member

@noctred said:
    Uh... yeah, that's basically what I said? Anybody without a full roster of alts and a static to carry those alts through their RP bars every day will be SOL even more so than they are now (this is not a good thing btw). I'm not sure how much RP you burn across your account every day but the idea that a hardcore player, burning through multiple RP bars every day, can accumulate a full set of [appropriate] Starhenge gear strictly through drops in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time with the current DZ loot distribution scheme and drop rates is literally batshit retarded. An exclusively rando drop-based system with the current numbers is not a viable form of progression for any audience, hardcore or otherwise.

Being able to craft duplicate legacy Starhenge gear is irrelevant in the context of the new tier of gear if legacy gear cannot be used as enhance fodder for the new tier - and the verbiage implies that it cannot be. After all, we are talking about acquisition/enhancement of the new tier, which is what's going to be on the radar for people once it's released.

As for why it's a big deal? Because these are precursor changes which display a disconnect between how EME thinks the game plays and how the game actually plays. Unless there are supporting changes coming which were omitted from Smoreceror's post, you should be worried about this. Who's to say the same progression scheme won't exist at 70? Not sure I even want to get into what this does to arena or anything else with a leaderboard.

I'll rephrase it. The new gear will change nothing until we get a content expansion because everyone is already killing everything instantly with the current gear. What is better gear going to do? Let everyone kill everything faster than instantly? Anything that we can't instantly kill with the current gear would probably be in the 70 expansion, at which point there's going to be level 70 gear anyway. Based on the gear progression plan they described, that means we will have a low/mid/high tier at 70 as well, which also means we will have craftable 70 gear which will be similar to our current gear now and we will also have absolute BiS 70 gear obtainable only from drops. But guess what? The craftable 70 gear will probably still be more than enough for any content in the game at that point.

Regarding enhancement, they said they're adding a way to use undesirable legendary gear as enhancement fodder. This may or may not have anything to do with enhancement transfer, but if they say they're adding the ability to do so then it at least implies it will be a different system because we already have enhancement transfer. We just have to wait and see what the system is, but what makes the most sense based on what they're saying is that we will have the choice between selling undesirable legendaries for Kred or using them as fodder to enhance our own gear (which only makes sense if it's not tier dependent). Easy examples could be letting us sacrifice trash legendaries for a free +1 to our current gear, or sacrifice them to add some amount of enhancement blessing.

Regarding the whole new drops-only BiS gear and hardcore players, as you said yourself the drop rates are abysmal on top of being mixed in with every other category of gear and lower tier gear, so how long do you think it would take even people who grind full accounts to get those? The answer is they probably won't even finish a full set by the time level 70 comes around and then it becomes obsolete anyway. What if they get lucky you ask? Why does it matter when the current gear is practically just as good as the new coming gear anyway? The answer is that it doesn't matter. "But it's going to affect arena" you say. Not when everyone is already one-shotting them with the current gear. They also said they're updating the arena system so we have to wait for those. "But it's going to affect PvP" you say. Doubtful when all the damage and special effects are mitigated to negligible amounts anyway.

I'm guessing you haven't played a certain other 2D dungeon (hint) crawler game where the end-game is exactly the same as how this is going to work and the game is more popular than this and people have no problem with it over there. In fact, it's even worse in the other game because you have to spend a ton of additional time to farm entry items to even be allowed to farm for the purely RNG-based BiS items where the drops aren't even locked to your own class and there are literally about 4 times or more classes in that game than this has. This system costs you nothing but RP. Are you asking for higher drop rates because you don't plan or want to try grinding the new BiS gear for more than a month? Because in that "other game" I'm talking about, players know they can grind for several months trying to get their sets and still don't expect to finish by then, but they still grind for it. This "other game" is also a Korean MMO which has been localized to the west and is largely still successful both in the west and overseas.

• grinding 10-30 days for 1 item seems pretty hardcore to me.

high end gear drop only so basicly the guy that has bots running grinding out purple rp bars will get these items because droprates are already below 1% on med gear

• ExpedExped Member

What's the solution to the gold buyers that are running amok in Kritika already with enormously amounts of gold.

Not ONLY the gold buyers, but the gold that that the gold buyers have gotten and buying stupid high items in AH for 100m+. Now that seller has crazy amounts of gold with items.

I haven't read any solution to this, are you guys tracking down people and banning those who are gold buying and destroying our market. I'm talking about charms, that's completely destroyed 2 weeks into the game.

I love wht you guys are doing with the game, but as someone who grinds for there own gold, and then gets discourages by selling how low gold is being sold for. Then you sort've think is gold even worrth even grinding.

There's tons of people that have charms that aren't being bought for 250m+ I don't even know how that 1 player makes that much money, when the economy isn't even at that threshold yet. There was even charms being bought for 700m.

Getting out of hand.

• NguyenLegendsNguyenLegends Member
    edited July 2017

I think they will allow use to use trash legendary's of the same level and tier to repair stability. Getting hammers is a huge pain. Their data is is messed up because of all the free hammers the free to player population have been dependent on for gearing up.

• SpireaSpirea Member ✭✭✭

@Exped said:
    What's the solution to the gold buyers that are running amok in Kritika already with enormously amounts of gold.

Not ONLY the gold buyers, but the gold that that the gold buyers have gotten and buying stupid high items in AH for 100m+. Now that seller has crazy amounts of gold with items.

I haven't read any solution to this, are you guys tracking down people and banning those who are gold buying and destroying our market. I'm talking about charms, that's completely destroyed 2 weeks into the game.

I love wht you guys are doing with the game, but as someone who grinds for there own gold, and then gets discourages by selling how low gold is being sold for. Then you sort've think is gold even worrth even grinding.

There's tons of people that have charms that aren't being bought for 250m+ I don't even know how that 1 player makes that much money, when the economy isn't even at that threshold yet. There was even charms being bought for 700m.

Getting out of hand.

Seconded.

• MuphetMuphet Member

when there is gold drop at first starhenge you run but random idio player uses up all res and you cannot pick up your loot at the end. feelsbadman
    please allow res after dungeon has been cleared for extreme ~

• BunnyBerserkBunnyBerserk Member
    edited July 2017

All good, all good but i am still having 8 fps in party of 4 ... so can't even farm xD. I hope you can fix the UI lag with the upcomming patches.

• @Sendaltul said:
    Instead of droppoing items let it drop a coin, that you can exchange for a piece of gear. so no matter how big the loot table is, the coin is as rare as the legendary drop, so basically we will never going to see it anyways. But if you ever come across the coin drop. you know for sure you can get WHAT YOU WANT. So that will be the BIG BOOM we wanted. I am like ohhhh a coin. I can get that HIGH END GEAR PIECE I was looking on the coin gear trader for so long time.

Can't agree more, it could be so frustrating to see a legendary SH gear (hey lucky you, you got one) and it isn't even for you, just a crap one

• @Sendaltul said:
    Instead of droppoing items let it drop a coin, that you can exchange for a piece of gear. so no matter how big the loot table is, the coin is as rare as the legendary drop, so basically we will never going to see it anyways. But if you ever come across the coin drop. you know for sure you can get WHAT YOU WANT. So that will be the BIG BOOM we wanted. I am like ohhhh a coin. I can get that HIGH END GEAR PIECE I was looking on the coin gear trader for so long time.

that would actually be nice...i like this idea

• @Elysuu said:
    Are you asking for higher drop rates because you don't plan or want to try grinding the new BiS gear for more than a month? Because in that "other game" I'm talking about, players know they can grind for several months trying to get their sets and still don't expect to finish by then, but they still grind for it.

The last time I played DFO people were just as salty about the (paywalled) RNG hell grind as people are salty about what's happening here. Maybe something has changed there in the last year or two but to my memory the hell grind was always bullshit. People most definitely had a problem with it - constant complaints about drop variance and the endless suffering that was OV and Grandine. Even Korea knew it was bullshit because they kept tweaking it on KDnF.

Don't mistake doing something because you have no other choice with doing something because it's actually worthwhile and/or enjoyable. I'll grind for as long as it takes because that's all this game is - I wouldn't be playing it if I wasn't willing to grind. But there are different ways to implement this kind of grind, particularly in games with competitive speed running aspects involved.

Full on RNG with no failsafe mechanism isn't the way to go. Even DFO came to that realization eventually.

• @Smoreceror

I'm glad to see that the top tier is not tradeable thank you so much. Once the next BiS is released however it should become tradeable that way there's no entire loss from gear that has no use and can be passed on to up coming players.

• New starhenge gear really?
    So in order to fix your mistake, you gonna add new gear that doesnt exist in the first place?
    i see you just gonna milk starhenge for another 3 months.....

I see some positive changes but making new gear just to milk the content for longer is a bad idea you're already losing players.

• NatoriousNatorious Member, Pre-CBT Tester ✭✭✭

i think we talking the ghost knight gear? the 3 piece set? oh god Starhenge drop rate is utter shit now i cant even imagine how that gear will drop

• @Exped said:

Getting out of hand.

think there are a few options.

1. A total no life that has like 20 alts grinding purple RP on them every day for gold.
    2. bought gold from seller
    3. selling hammer scrolls wetstones ect ect and lucky drops.
    4. A bot user that has a few accounts running 24/7 that feed into his main.

Also for Emas Free players keeping up with the spenders you all know thats Horse Sh**t you removed a big portion of boosting items from the cashshop before OB release like Sigils and costume upgrading. there are so little 65 T7 dropping there is hardly anything to buy in the AH even afther the patch and only the 1% big whale spender will buy T7 that do drop for 10-15k kret.

So for now Free spenders with major luck are keeping up soon that will end. 1 major hardwall will be the 700+scrolls you need to reroll your stats when you almost got the perfect set. Then it will take you a few weeks to get enough of the other scrolls to RNG raise the stats.

• DanteWDanteW Member

Weapons for Kred wow, "best idea" I've seen in all MMORPGs I've played so far (sarcasm). And maybe you could also do smth about Rest points, for example ... remove them