We are live and streaming! Come join us for a final farewell to Kritika Online, as we share stories, watch clips, and hang out with you all in Watchtower. src="https://player.twitch.tv/?channel=enmasseentertainment&autoplay=false"
height="360"
width="640"
frameborder="0"
scrolling="no"
autoplay="false"
allowfullscreen="true"
>

Steamcharts look really bad. Where do we go from here?

edited February 13 in General Discussion

The game really feels dead. Looking at my guild list I see like 1-2 people a day log in at most. Most people haven't logged in in months. This is a real mess. Let's look at the steamchart:
https://steamcharts.com/app/439350

Average players the last 30 days is 167 players. While steamcharts isnt 100% accurate since you can log without it, that it really ugly considering the steamcharts show a 20% decrease in pop over just the last month. Like seriously, we are about to hit double digit numbers for players.

Maybe time to lighten up on the RNG and oneshot BS. People play dungeon grinders to mow through monsters, not get oneshot constantly. People HATE the insane low drop rate on EVERYTHING. I cant even get Eerie costume 9/9. I have done Bella on 2-3 alts a day for months and I am at 4/9 pieces. Gear is even worse, like WAY worse. Top that off by the insane gearwall everyone faces because for some reason our version is totally overtuned to hell and back (even after they lost 1/2 the population of the game when they screwed with Starhenge and broke it early on in the game by adding shield, speed hacking monsters and insane amounts of HP on monsters). Add on all of this the fact that upgrading costs a ludicrous amount of money now, you end up with like 10 people still playing the game.

I love this game, for better or worse. Been playing since open beta, but jesus, its time to lighten up on stuff. No one is having fun anymore, even the whales. Best thing you did for them was add a new dungeon that is just the old awful dungeons all piled into one with even more shield and HP. With the quest gear(1.2 million cr, 65k sr) I could not even kill the first boss after hours of trying. I wont even talk about class imbalance, where I can mow through stage 1 challenge mode on my 550k CR/ 45k SR Catpaw in under 1-2 minutes, yet took me 12 minutes and about 5 tries to even kill it on my 900k CR/ 55k SRArtifex.

Letting bugs persist, but continuing to add Kritoken garbage, this game moves more and more to P2W. What happened to Smorcerer and Bearshoes. Where is the EME interaction? It honestly just feels like they have given up. I have seen this before. This is what it looked like when they gave up and shut down ZMR (which had more players than this game does right now). Even Closers they still seem to care about, merging their servers and communicating with the players. Here all we get is radio silence.

Comments

• NopiNopi Member ✭✭✭

Maybe everyone just gave up and we are waiting for the closure announcement already. As we all know, the whole MMO genre is far past it's glory days (and I'd dare say gaming as a whole has shifted after mobile became a thing), and most MMOs out there are either closed, closing, or total ghost towns while everyone plays the next FPS pvp game, or give the next new MMO five minutes only to leave it behind because it's turned into yet another cash grab. Many companies have damaged the genre's image nearly beyond repair. Perhaps more MMOs should have stayed pay to play, but once you open the f2p+in your face cash shop scheme, there's no going back. And I say this about the genre in general. EME's games may be among the least guilty, but still not without sin in the matter.

I think EME's case is more about overestimating their capabilities and overstretching their resources. Other mistakes have happened, but all companies do those. So really, in simple words, I believe Kritika is not being taken care of as it needs because there may not be as much coming from EME available for the task. Back when ZMR was shut down, EME was juggling only three games. Now they are trying to handle about double of that. But even then, I still don't think this game would be in a much better standing if the resources and time were poured in. The genre is just too tarnished already to make anything save near perfection work for it.

It's a shame, really, I'd like to finish Kritika's main story. It's the only reason I can come back to these games.

• GGYKEX7DHXGGYKEX7DHX Member

This is Yoishio. I've been playing for like 9 weeks total. Since coming back since open beta, I can tell you that I'm already much further ahead than you on multiple characters. Stop making excuses. I also changed my main like three times during the period that my friends complained about it. I'm currently 1.8m cr and cleared 69 last night. The game isn't dead either. All M controls what we get as well stop blaming the company.

• AlisterLeonAlisterLeon Member, KOL

This shit isn't pay to play. Theres dudes that spend over 100 a month on this game and still don't have good standing. You need to play the game to be good and know what you're doing. If you don't want a grind, don't play an RPG. It's really not that hard to grasp that. And steamcharts don't account for the people that play off of the launcher or in other regions, so it's always going to be a small number. This is a super dumb comment to make about the game. You should feel bad.

• ForgetMercyForgetMercy Member, KOL ✭✭

@AlisterLeon said:
    This shit isn't pay to play. Theres dudes that spend over 100 a month on this game and still don't have good standing. You need to play the game to be good and know what you're doing. If you don't want a grind, don't play an RPG. It's really not that hard to grasp that. And steamcharts don't account for the people that play off of the launcher or in other regions, so it's always going to be a small number. This is a super dumb comment to make about the game. You should feel bad.

Can agree on that one.

• ReiatzuReiatzu Member, KOL ✭✭✭

I'll just post on a few reasons why steam charts probably isn't reflective of the player base instead of going into everything else you said.

1) Not everyone plays on steam. More people probably play from launcher due to PTS.
    2) People don't have to fish for gold kritium crystals anymore, you get 50 per character a day. No more leaving PC overnight so less players afk'd.
    3) It's always dry in between patches. Players usually play a week or so on patch release depending on content, and then go back to spend minimal time doing dailies till the next patch. Last patch was really dry so no real reason to log in.

• NopiNopi Member ✭✭✭

Well, regarding Steam charts, it's very true that in games like this, a lot of people don't use Steam to play them since unless you are wanting to use something only Steam can give (like Steam controller support) people shouldn't bother to play the Steam version. The standard version of the game is the exact same thing and you don't need Steam lingering on your system for it.

Still does not mean the game has loads of people playing. I myself have seen a numbers decline mainly on the new character sector. Now I'm saying this based on what I see when I log daily and not from any official data. It is indeed normal that numbers dwindle after the excitement of a new patch is over, and will be reignited when new content comes. Still, while what thread starter said may not be viewed by others as the full truth, I do feel the game could use a bit more love from the dev and the publisher. There are still plenty of bugs being dragged from the early days ("Goblins rule!" anyone?), and while any character over a certain CR can flatten most any content, not everyone is at such CR, so balance issues become more visible the less CR one has. It's like some of the characters were tuned for team play, but this game is already 99% solo.

Regardless, and as I said before, I would like this game to prosper again. But for that, we'd need a bit more commitment from the publisher and from the dev.

• J6FMCKRXXYJ6FMCKRXXY Member, KOL

Please, please, please... stop using the 'not everyone plays on steam' strawman. Yes, a good portion of people play without steam; but what EVERY other game that also has a private launcher shows is that the % gain / loss shown on steam matches the non-steam players (the first few months of steam launch are outliers ofc). If steam is showing a 20% loss then that will correlate to non-steam players as well so his concerns are valid.

The fact that people are STILL whiteknighting so hard and corporate dry humping is disheartening and it seems they will not wakeup until it's too late and there's a sunset notice.

• NopiNopi Member ✭✭✭

@J6FMCKRXXY said:
    Please, please, please... stop using the 'not everyone plays on steam' strawman. Yes, a good portion of people play without steam; but what EVERY other game that also has a private launcher shows is that the % gain / loss shown on steam matches the non-steam players (the first few months of steam launch are outliers ofc). If steam is showing a 20% loss then that will correlate to non-steam players as well so his concerns are valid.

The fact that people are STILL whiteknighting so hard and corporate dry humping is disheartening and it seems they will not wakeup until it's too late and there's a sunset notice.

I personally have no data to prove your statement true, and I would love to see such data. Not to continue with an argument, but to actually learn something. In fact, it's the first time I've ever heard a claim such as yours. As for the whiteknighting or whatever, people are free to defend whatever they like. Those who want change should use other methods that do not involve ill wording to convince others onto their side, IF, they do indeed want others to see things as they see them. If not, it's just arguing for the sake of arguing. So in short, telling someone he's dry humping EME will simply cause them to dry hump them even more. And if that accelerates their "blindness to the truth", so be it.

But back to the initial statement, where can I see data that proves Steam game population reacts the same as the same game out of Steam? I personally have an example of the opposite in the game Dragon Nest Europe. While that game isn't an example of a thriving community, it's Steam version has very low population, simply because the Steam launcher doesn't work properly, and people have to either launch the game from a non Steam related launcher, or just download the non Steam variant. Like this, it's a known issue that several games ported to Steam have extra problems related to the integration of the Steam front end, and some people have already learned to avoid games on Steam they can find somewhere else.

Anyway. I'm not here to start a fight. I just want to see things and learn stuff to make better informed statements later.

The fact is no one knows how many people play this game. They don't share the player count this is pointless speculation and does nothing for helping the game these topics on forums and if anything actually hurts the game and discourages people form playing it. Also if your correct and the game shutdown no one that actually likes the game will be happy. how about is stead of random complaints and talk about how the game needs to advertise more. Also the lack of information and 3rd party websites that people are used to having for other games does not exist mainly because of the fact it is a small game everyone knows that but the core players are what keep them alive. Honestly i'm impressed by the master guide that was made and very thankful of it.

• ReiatzuReiatzu Member, KOL ✭✭✭

@J6FMCKRXXY said:

You should re-read what people wrote. People aren't "whiteknighting" the company. No one said the population was good or explicitly defended EME/Allm. They just think that steam charts are not accurate measurements.

The 3rd post LITERALLY says 'stop blaming the company'. Full Stop.

@J6FMCKRXXY said:
    The 3rd post LITERALLY says 'stop blaming the company'. Full Stop.

I directly talking about eme has to wait to receive patchs or content form all m.

• No one will deny that the game has it's problems but you don't speak for everyone in your post. Yes the low RNG can be annoying, but at the same time it gives people something to work for, something that encourages you to grind for. Also just because you like to play dungeon crawlers to mow down things, that doesn't mean everyone else does as some people really like the challenge and to be feel like they've improved with their class. If ult zones were easy, then what would even be the point to gearing your character? Yes in some cases, Ult zones might be overtuned a bit which is in those cases, it's important to test them in PTS when they're there to see how it is and let EME know before it hits live.

There has been many things you can get nowadays that took a very long time to get back in the past, mainly being hammers and badges which was needed ofc. Also if you are having trouble with one shots, then maybe work a bit on your SR or maybe you just aren't strong enough to do that dungeon/ult zone. Like how you mentioned you couldn't beat the first boss of Ult Memories, you also said your CR/SR was 1.2m/65k and Ult Memories was a 2.5m CR Recommended on normal from what I rem, so it's no surprise you are struggling on doing it with less than half rec CR.

And about the "Whiteknighting" them...EME can only do so much by themselves. They can't decide what is going to be in what patch, or how fast we get content, all of that is decided by Allm. Even things like bug fixes depend on Allm's help as well. The only thing you can really "blame" EME for is lack of advertisements, and for what they add in their cash shop. You prob could also blame EME for maybe not pushing Allm harder for some of these quicker content or bug fixes but for all we know maybe they do bother Allm a lot about it and get ignored.

Tldr: Not everyone agrees with you, some people are generally fine with how hard some of the content is (even if at times it might need tiny adjustments) and lack of content or bug fixes is not always on EME as some require assistance from Allm which decides what we get and how fast we get content/fixes.

• SpooklesSpookles Member, KOL ✭✭✭
    edited February 16

I wasnt saying the steamchart numbers are how many people are playing the game. Obviously a lot of people dont launch through steam (including me). What I am saying is the trend it shows of us losing over 20% of the players in the past month is probably pretty accurate.

I never said I dont like the grind, all I said is they might could ease up and make the drop rates slightly higher. I am all for a good grind, but when you go weeks without getting even a fraction of what you are targeting, it stops being a fun grind and starts to feel pointless. They have to find a sweet spot between soulcrushing grind and too easy. Right now things are way to low drop rates. Black Market I am convinced doesnt actually drop anything on hard, it feels like back in the day trying to farm Starhenge for gear on Easy.

Sure, hammers/whetstones are in much higher supply now, but things are also no longer tooled around +15 gear and going past 15 requires a lot of those 2 things; beyond 19 is an insane amount. Gold is also not as hard to come by anymore since you can do Abe/Titan on alts and sell signas, but aside from that, I am not sure how they expect people to have the 100s of millions of gold required for high Evos and stuff.

Classes are WAY out of whack right now, this is something they need to prioritize. A lot of classes really need some help. Classes like the mages, artifex, etc all need major adjustments. These things need to happen sooner then later. They need to focus on tweaking the classes a bit more than the cash shop. Some classes are not even close to where they need to be. Its not like they need a little tweak or 2, they need major improvements.

The game is obviously not in great shape if you look at the trends (not the numbers) on the steamchart. Sure people always come back for patches/new classes and then leave shortly after, but it feels like each patch less and less people are coming back. I know a lot of my old guild is long gone and the ones I kept in touch with all say the same thing "Kritika is fun to play, but just not worth the effort".

• MajorThorMajorThor Member ✭✭

@Reiatzu said:
    I'll just post on a few reasons why steam charts probably isn't reflective of the player base instead of going into everything else you said.

1) Not everyone plays on steam. More people probably play from launcher due to PTS.
    2) People don't have to fish for gold kritium crystals anymore, you get 50 per character a day. No more leaving PC overnight so less players afk'd.
    3) It's always dry in between patches. Players usually play a week or so on patch release depending on content, and then go back to spend minimal time doing dailies till the next patch. Last patch was really dry so no real reason to log in.

ded gaem m8

Hey to all you people that debated us... guess who's laughing now - NONE OF US! You whteknighted a dying game that could have been saved, congrats you smug pricks your refusal to see the truth doomed the game, I hope you are happy.