We are live and streaming! Come join us for a final farewell to Kritika Online, as we share stories, watch clips, and hang out with you all in Watchtower. src="https://player.twitch.tv/?channel=enmasseentertainment&autoplay=false"
height="360"
width="640"
frameborder="0"
scrolling="no"
autoplay="false"
allowfullscreen="true"
>

Volunteer for the Kritika Online Player Council!

Hi everyone,

In an effort to maintain a close connection with players and their top concerns, we’re forming a Kritika Online Player Council!

As part of the Kritika Player Council, you’ll act as a volunteer voice for your fellow players and help make the Kritika community as awesome as it can be. Here are the main things we’re looking for assistance on from council members:

• Shine a spotlight in positive player activity and cool events. That means respond to, encourage, and raise awareness around well-constructed player feedback, suggestions, events, cosplay, artwork and other awesome things your fellow players do around the community.
  • Be our experts. We play a lot of Kritika in-office but we’re pretty casual compared to a lot of you out there. We know there are subject experts on PvP, economy, end-game progression, and more – and we’ll often look to you when an internal question arises over a specific topic.
  • Answer player questions in the community. Just as the Kritika crew will have questions, so will other players. When new players find Kritika for the first time and begin playing, a lot of questions can come up. Having someone friendly and knowledgeable at hand is a huge boon for the community.
  • Help spread news & event details. Not all Kritika players stay plugged in to places like the forums, the @KritikaGame twitter account, or news posts. Player Council members can help communicate news on important announcements when they go out simply by being active in their own player communities.

We want to work with you to make Kritika Online the best game it can be, so I hope folks will decide to volunteer. If you’re interested, please fill out the survey at the URL below. We’ll be accepting applications through the week and reviewing/contacting folks next week.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bocpVGlkOtqJlqSuryJoCDlQ4bbzml-qqiGuSo8f9hA

Comments

• NopiNopi Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

While I won't apply, since I know I'm not good at these things, I'll still help when I can and while I'm around. Not gonna go anywhere for now.
    Anyway, like in Tera, this is always a good opportunity to really connect with the player base.

• JasonflyJasonfly Member ✭✭

Could help with the second point, but got no time for everything else. Still, good luck finding people, just make sure you pick the correct people - the ones that actually knows what's up.

• NopiNopi Member ✭✭✭

@Jasonfly said:
    Could help with the second point, but got no time for everything else. Still, good luck finding people, just make sure you pick the correct people - the ones that actually knows what's up.

And most important, the ones who don't get it over their heads.

• JasonflyJasonfly Member ✭✭

Also wanted to add one more thing - I think for the aoplication you guys should also focus on people's overall experience in playing MMO's. Since you need experts in PvP, economy, end-game progression, and more, you should look for people that have been around MMO's for some time, people that experienced what others have done well, and what others have failed.

A few examples of questions you could make would be - how long have you been playing MMO's for, which ones have you played, which feature have you seen in other MMO's that would you suggest as being a good way to keep players playing the game - things like that.

• TwilightPandaTwilightPanda Member ✭✭✭

@PhoenixShi said:
    When I first saw the title, I thought you were looking for something like an expert group of players to help with game related matters like I've seen other games do, since players always seem to find ways to break things, devs/publishers never even thought of, as players can know the game better than they do. Although when looking at the requirements, feels more like you're looking for cheerleaders, people to push the game in social media, and player helpers.

Yes, this, I can collect and organize people's opinions, and give my own opinions, but I'm not really interested in being the in-game equivalent, of the wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man for EME

• MorgianaSenpaiMorgianaSenpai Member ✭✭✭

Oh man, looks like I gotta make myself some social media mumbo-jumbo if I did apply. haha

• SmorecerorSmoreceror Member, Administrator, EME Staff admin
    edited August 2017

@PhoenixShi said:
    When I first saw the title, I thought you were looking for something like an expert group of players to help with game related matters like I've seen other games do, since players always seem to find ways to break things, devs/publishers never even thought of, as players can know the game better than they do. Although when looking at the requirements, feels more like you're looking for cheerleaders, people to push the game in social media, and player helpers.

I'm not sure how what you're referring to is different than this point:

"Be our experts. We play a lot of Kritika in-office but we’re pretty casual compared to a lot of you out there. We know there are subject experts on PvP, economy, end-game progression, and more – and we’ll often look to you when an internal question arises over a specific topic."

What made you feel like we're looking for "cheerleaders, people to push the game in social media, and player helpers" because that's definitely not what's most valuable to us. If you want to, sure, that's totally fine. It certainly won't be a requirement, though.

Are you focusing on the "Answer player questions in the community" and "Help spread news & event details" points? As a part of the player council, you'll be talking with us often and have a lot more insight than most players into why we might be running certain events, the reasoning for certain game changes, etc. We just ask that you share public information and context when you're in a situation that players are confused. We're not asking that you set up a designated Q&A time or anything like that.

If it's this section: "Shine a spotlight in positive player activity and cool events. That means respond to, encourage, and raise awareness around well-constructed player feedback, suggestions, events, cosplay, artwork and other awesome things your fellow players do around the community." I can provide some context there, too. Suppose you hear that someone is organizing a PvP tournament, or working on cosplay, or something else that you personally think is cool and Kritika-related. Our hope here is just that you'll let us know if we don't already. We don't want to miss cool things that people in the community are doing and we hope that our eventual player council will share an interest in the Kritika Online community as well.

• @Smoreceror what about adding a "enviromental test channel" which is treated like a new Server, where u can let Players playtest your Patches for their function, like many other mmos do it, a plain testserver, wehre everyplayer who got a 65 character can receive an Invitation to join, and playtest everything? This would be more needed than an actual Feedback roundtable, which can only act after the damage has been done?

@Tuerkante said:
    @Smoreceror what about adding a "enviromental test channel" which is treated like a new Server, where u can let Players playtest your Patches for their function, like many other mmos do it, a plain testserver, wehre everyplayer who got a 65 character can receive an Invitation to join, and playtest everything? This would be more needed than an actual Feedback roundtable, which can only act after the damage has been done?

This is something we're looking into, but don't have any ETA or news on right now.

• TuerkanteTuerkante Member
    edited August 2017

This is something we're looking into, but don't have any ETA or news on right now.

Just an Idea, which can be possible would be a Scenario like that:

Reaching 65 one gets the Invitation to join the test Server, which could be accessed in the menu where the delivery box is.
    When clicking that button it is like changing character but onto a new fresh 65 named testchar xyz which can only Access lets say channel 9 TestChannel01
    In this testchannel everyone gets gear from vendors new items costumes and what not u want to test, like when adding xanadu extreme mode checking loottables etc. to see if it Needs adjustement or anything else. like this no Need to run a seperate Server just a new channel which is seperate from the mainchannels.
    Works similarly like clockwheel and nightmare Tower works, a new enviremont

just an idea how you could implement it

and about the trading System why not activate the trade function for Players being 65 and or guildmates AND friends ingame, so at least endgame stuff can be exchanged between People playing together without ripping em of kred

• @TwilightPanda said:

@PhoenixShi said:

Yes, this, I can collect and organize people's opinions, and give my own opinions, but I'm not really interested in being the in-game equivalent, of the wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man for EME

realistically they can't expect players to do it all. So what i think is they will look for people for the seperate subjects they talked about. What you guys most likely want to apply for is souly point 2. As it seems that is simply giving your oppinion without any form of PR or new player help. Just a thought though.

• PhoenixShiPhoenixShi Member
    edited August 2017

@Smoreceror said:

@PhoenixShi said:

"Be our experts. We play a lot of Kritika in-office but we’re pretty casual compared to a lot of you out there. We know there are subject experts on PvP, economy, end-game progression, and more – and we’ll often look to you when an internal question arises over a specific topic."

I'll put it in relation to the order of requirements you listed.

• Cheerleader.
    • The only thing I was expecting this to be about.
    • Player helper.
    • Push the game on social media.

When I first saw the title, I figured this WHOLE thing was a damage control measure in response to the player backlash you've been getting. You put in a player council, similar to the council Warframe at least used to have, they get to discuss things with the people in charge, provide feedback, and vote on changes. Such a thing would be to make players feel like they are being heard, and what they say matters, so they may hang around a while longer, rather than continue to rush out the door. Instead, most of what you're looking for is a bunch of other stuff that is a combination of the player helper group, and Twitch player partner group other games have. There's going to be people that want to help make the game better (point #2), but have no interest in the rest.

I used to play Anarchy Online, a LOT, and they had an ARK system where players assist GMs. They start as greeters that show up to, well, greet new players, and help explain things, since that game is far more complicated than this is. As they move through the system they will answer player help requests, or move the issues up to GMs if it's more technical. They can help GMs/devs out on the test server in different ways, and some have even moved so far up, they became key members of the game development team. What you're proposing here, is nothing like that, even as a publisher variation.

• SaitanaSaitana Member
    edited August 2017

@PhoenixShi said:

@Smoreceror said:

@PhoenixShi said:

• Cheerleader.
    • Player helper.

When I first saw the title, I figured this WHOLE thing was a damage control measure in response to the player backlash you've been getting. You put in a player council, similar to the council Warframe at least used to have, they get to discuss things with the people in charge, provide feedback, and vote on changes. Such a thing would be to make players feel like they are being heard, and what they say matters, so they may hang around a while longer, rather than continue to rush out the door. Instead, most of what you're looking for is a bunch of other stuff that is a combination of the player helper group, and Twitch player partner group other games have. There's going to be people that want to help make the game better (point #2), but have no interest in the rest.

I used to play Anarchy Online, a LOT, and they had an ARK system where players assist GMs. They start as greeters that show up to, well, greet new players, and help explain things, since that game is far more complicated than this is. As they move through the system they will answer player help requests, or move the issues up to GMs if it's more technical. They can help GMs/devs out on the test server in different ways, and some have even moved so far up, they became key members of the game development team. What you're proposing here, is nothing like that, even as a publisher variation.

To be honest, I respect where you are coming from on that. To me I literally thought none of that at all when reading this.

@Smoreceror said:

@PhoenixShi said:

What made you feel like we're looking for "cheerleaders, people to push the game in social media, and player helpers" because that's definitely not what's most valuable to us. If you want to, sure, that's totally fine. It certainly won't be a requirement, though.

Are you focusing on the "Answer player questions in the community" and "Help spread news & event details" points? As a part of the player council, you'll be talking with us often and have a lot more insight than most players into why we might be running certain events, the reasoning for certain game changes, etc. We just ask that you share public information and context when you're in a situation that players are confused. We're not asking that you set up a designated Q&A time or anything like that.

If it's this section: "Shine a spotlight in positive player activity and cool events. That means respond to, encourage, and raise awareness around well-constructed player feedback, suggestions, events, cosplay, artwork and other awesome things your fellow players do around the community." I can provide some context there, too. Suppose you hear that someone is organizing a PvP tournament, or working on cosplay, or something else that you personally think is cool and Kritika-related. Our hope here is just that you'll let us know if we don't already. We don't want to miss cool things that people in the community are doing and we hope that our eventual player council will share an interest in the Kritika Online community as well.

This is what came to my mind to be fair.

• IceIce Member, Player Moderators mod

@PhoenixShi said:

@Smoreceror said:

@PhoenixShi said:

• Cheerleader.
    • Player helper.

They also have a player council over at TERA, this isn't a damage control thing.

• PhoenixShiPhoenixShi Member

@RyceCream said:
    They also have a player council over at TERA, this isn't a damage control thing.

Most every online game with a social system has some kind of player assistant program these days. But given the timing, what I described was the kind of thing I was thinking was going on. He asked me to clarify, so I did.

• RyxaRyxa Member

What does streaming on Twitch have to do with the ability to formulate rational opinions about changes to the gameplay and state of the game?

• Kinda feels like you read my PM there @Smoreceror :)

Good stuff! Hopefully we'll get some actual solid content soon so that CBT players can recuperate interest.

Curious to see the road we're going down.

• @Smoreceror said:

@PhoenixShi said:

@Smoreceror

Be gentle, we are a community of shut-ins who play mmo's. Being Anonymous in game and helpful is totally different than putting things on social media; especially considering some of us might have careers and such. Nobody wants their boss checking out reaper costumes ;D.

@ Everyone
    I think a better way to word it would be, "Be respectful on forums and in game because if you get accepted you're a representative of kritika online and its community and moderators"

• Just sounds to me like you are looking for people to be on the forums help people... and basically do your job for nothing. Which a lot of people do already... this would just put your names behind the names of the people that try to help and would only make you look better...

edited August 2017

@PCYGCLGRFE said:

@Smoreceror

Be gentle, we are a community of shut-ins who play mmo's. Being Anonymous in game and helpful is totally different than putting things on social media; especially considering some of us might have careers and such. Nobody wants their boss checking out reaper costumes ;D.

@ Everyone
    I think a better way to word it would be, "Be respectful on forums and in game because if you get accepted you're a representative of kritika online and its community and moderators"

No harshness was intended. Apologies if it came across that way! I don't want people to get the wrong idea about this program. At its heart, this is about finding people who care about Kritika and its community and working with them.

I swear, no social media required ;) That point is referring to the hope that the player council will be in the know on our latest announcements - more so than the average player might be. If questions or misinformation arise on an event or game change in a council member's community (their guild, discord, or even this forum), they'll have more details to share than most.

• @Smoreceror When can we hear back once we submit the form?

• @XRDAXK6RGP

@Smoreceror said:
    We’ll be accepting applications through the week and reviewing/contacting folks next week.

• I would love to do this, I main a 170CR Zerker, and have 4 alts, and working on the rest of the classes, but I was denied to be a streamer for this game, prob b/c i am very small and a new streamer, so guessing i will get denied for this as well for a reason.

edited August 2017

Thanks for all of the applications so far, everyone! I've started the review process and will leave applications open through WEDNESDAY, August 16. After that, I'll be shutting applications down to make sure that we have time to review everyone's submissions.

EDIT: On second thought, I'll keep apps open through Thursday in case we get last-minute applicants who are finding out through today's Stream.

• LordTorsteinLordTorstein Member
    edited August 2017

I think the Player Council is a good idea; I suspect the criteria for candidate selection and expected functions of the position could use some refinement. Internal promotion of positive player activity is a good thing, but an official position in that regard comes off to me as an obnoxious High School Glee club--it's the equivalent of handing out glitter stickers to the homeless. That all said, I'm already seeing some members of the community take on that function; if Smorec wants to effectively deputize these individuals as unpaid PR staff, I'm not going to raise a fuss about it.

Bringing in people to identify problems and promote the best suggested solutions is smart, but it's no substitute for a steady roster of testers with regular access to a test realm; the more trusted eyes you have looking for issues, the more likely you're going to be able to catch and resolve them in a timely fashion, before they get out of hand. Basically, any "gameplay experts" EME takes on will need to have access to this test realm. At that point, it's essentially unpaid QA intern work in perpetuity (can I put that on a resume?).

Having people acting as help desk concierges, while useful, is no substitute for better tooltips, Help menu topics, and tutorials. More often than not, the best answer anyone in this position can give is "check the wiki/forum/help menu", because these are consolidated repositories of information established and maintained specifically to address common inquiries. Perhaps what EME should really be looking for is a stable of dedicated contributors to a Kritika NA wiki.

As to spreading information about Kritika news and events... we have a splash page that pops up after character selection when logging in; a splash page that can be brought up from the ESC menu. That combined with system notices when something relevant--such as an official twitch stream cracks off--is more than sufficient notification.

The real question I have goes to long-term consideration: how often will this application process re-open? The problem with this approach is that it's using the comparatively inefficient and dubiously reliable participation of people as substitute for better in-game infrastructure. People quit, burn out, or have life otherwise get in the way of game; replacing members could become more problematic than beneficial.

Ultimately, a Player Council ought to act as an effective human-element supplement to solid infrastructure and communication channels, and not as a replacement for these things.

Running off of what @LordTorstein said in his post, having a player counsel at best is great for the community yes, however as Torstein mentioned, there are issues with having people in the counsel that could have issues swung at them via life, outside-of-game activities. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't talk to my friends much anymore, I sit in my room and play video games all day while trying to get a real job. Having players in the player counsel when life decides to say screw them and take them away from their duty, it's best to see to a replacement. If no replacements are going to be made, simply relying on these "cadets" to filter language for you--EME--won't be great in the long run.

Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents.

@MorgianaSenpai said:
    Running off of what @LordTorstein said in his post, having a player counsel at best is great for the community yes, however as Torstein mentioned, there are issues with having people in the counsel that could have issues swung at them via life, outside-of-game activities. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't talk to my friends much anymore, I sit in my room and play video games all day while trying to get a real job. Having players in the player counsel when life decides to say screw them and take them away from their duty, it's best to see to a replacement. If no replacements are going to be made, simply relying on these "cadets" to filter language for you--EME--won't be great in the long run.

Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents.

It'll be totally fine if people need to leave the council. In other EME games, council members often take time away for school or other life obligations and we take the opportunity to recruit more folks to join the team.

Also, I deleted a bunch of posts that have nothing to do with the Player Council. Please keep it on topic!

@Smoreceror Alright, that cleared up my concerns haha.

• AistAist Member, KOL ✭✭✭

I am not about to jump on this, but I will at least give the staff of EME advice on a player council since I have actually worked in the game industry (AAA MMORPG to be exact). Was years back, but we also made a player council, it consisted of nothing but top end players and min/max players. The game suffered horribly due to it.

What I am saying is this, pick who you will, but my advice is to not just pick the top end, best of the best players, but also pick players of all skill levels that show a passion for the game. If you just get opinions from nothing but one subset group of players, you end up with a VERY lopsided game that very few will enjoy.

This discussion has been closed.