We are live and streaming! Come join us for a final farewell to Kritika Online, as we share stories, watch clips, and hang out with you all in Watchtower. src="https://player.twitch.tv/?channel=enmasseentertainment&autoplay=false"
height="360"
width="640"
frameborder="0"
scrolling="no"
autoplay="false"
allowfullscreen="true"
>

Thoughts on the Fractured Memories rework?

The changes to FM this patch are supposed to improve performance and reduce mob RNG. After running several hundred times, I can safely say that it made the RNG much worse for certain classes. The performance boost isn't very noticeable for me either, and it feels exactly the same while in parties.

Playing vamp for example, there are a lot of rooms now that I can't mob when it was really easy to do in the old FM. The new mobs are extremely passive, move slow, and some of them even run pretty far away. In addition to every elite mob having modifiers, it makes it more unpredictable without a good mobbing skill. You can't tell half the mobs are unmovable until you throw a blood rush at it. Snipers like to be solo heroes in the corners of the map. Mobs standing next to each other are far enough to use up 2 blood tie claws, but far enough to not get pulled together in 1 claw. Then there's the occasional tiny spider or beetle in some dark corner. I've also noticed that all the really small rooms that require no grouping have next to no mobs so they aren't even worth attempting. All of these factors reduce the pool of "good" rooms down to a smaller fraction than the old FM.

On the other hand, playing artifex feels easy as hell. All the mobs are good and everything still gets pulled by EX tesla. They never had a problem mobbing and now I don't even have to fish for good rooms because even the worst ones are decent. Good FM class now has it easier.

Good classes with mobbing skills worry about these RNG factors:
-High mob density with gold mobs
-Rooms that can be pulled cleanly in 1 skill
-Squishy boss
-Other small factors based on the class (chains or blue shields)

Bad classes with limited mobbing skills worry about these RNG factors:
-High mob density with gold mobs
-Small rooms that can be pulled quickly (this and high mob density doesn't go together)
-No snipers in the corner
-No more than 1 unmovable mob (surprisingly rare)
-No mobs that like to run (basically any ranged mob)
-Squishy boss
-Other small factors based on the class (chains or blue shields)

In the old FM, there weren't nearly as many bad mob types which made the RNG factors about the same for classes. My suggestion would be to remove all the RNG factors that make the limited mobbing classes worse. Green mobs shouldn't have any modifiers, blue mobs only having 1 or 2, and legendaries staying the same. I'm guessing no one likes the kritium golem either but they're pretty rare. What are your experiences for FM and what would you like improved?

Comments

• J6FMCKRXXYJ6FMCKRXXY Member, KOL

It seems like they added a bunch of terrible rooms that weren't the the pool before. Some of the xanadu-based rooms are so huge that depending on where a mob spawns the run might be ruined right there.

• IceIce Member, Player Moderators mod

@J6FMCKRXXY said:
    It seems like they added a bunch of terrible rooms that weren't the the pool before. Some of the xanadu-based rooms are so huge that depending on where a mob spawns the run might be ruined right there.

If you're referring to the long hallways from xanadu, they have always been there. Otherwise, I don't think the pool of maps has changed.

• In my opinion, I feel like this rework made it worse with little to no performance improvements. Since only elite or higher mobs spawns now, clearing a room just got more tedious and longer when you constantly get walled on. And I'm pretty sure they didn't spawn before the rework but those yellow named mini bosses from windhome dungeons are pretty annoying too since they practically one shot you.

• MorrigainMorrigain Member ✭✭

Another Problem with the new floor 220 is the success chances for upgrading. From lvl 170 to 200 you can only get 10% chance of success. 201 it jumps up to over 20% if u clear floor 220. That makes the process of lvl something up from the ground up extremely unsatisfying since the 30 lvls you only get 10% are a rly slow and frustrating. would be nice to smooth the curve out a bit.

• J6FMCKRXXYJ6FMCKRXXY Member, KOL

@RyceCream said:

If you're referring to the long hallways from xanadu, they have always been there. Otherwise, I don't think the pool of maps has changed.

I've done a lot of FM and I never remember seeing layouts/instances from deathguard / SH dungeons but now I seem to get them quite often- the most annoying being that curved hallway that had the shields before Apu. It takes forever to either kill the reeeeeally spread out enemies basically a few at a time or herd then together.

• IceIce Member, Player Moderators mod

@Morrigain said:
    Another Problem with the new floor 220 is the success chances for upgrading. From lvl 170 to 200 you can only get 10% chance of success. 201 it jumps up to over 20% if u clear floor 220. That makes the process of lvl something up from the ground up extremely unsatisfying since the 30 lvls you only get 10% are a rly slow and frustrating. would be nice to smooth the curve out a bit.

10% success rate starts when the ability hits 150 (don't remember the exact level). This is the first FM expansion where the success rate goes back up, which I actually like. Making it more linear for lower levels sounds good too, but 201+ might suffer from slightly reduced rates.

@J6FMCKRXXY said:

@RyceCream said:

I've done a lot of FM and I never remember seeing layouts/instances from deathguard / SH dungeons but now I seem to get them quite often- the most annoying being that curved hallway that had the shields before Apu. It takes forever to either kill the reeeeeally spread out enemies basically a few at a time or herd then together.

I haven't seen a single SH map or DG dungeon map in any of my runs. If you come across it again, take a screenshot of the map.

• RomanHolidayRomanHoliday Member, Player Moderators mod
    edited October 2018

Thanks for taking the time to make this @RyceCream I'll share my thoughts on the matter as well after having been through an entire season and ranking all my characters. I like a lot of what they are trying to accomplish with this reworked Fractured Memories. While the optimization is still a big problem for this game mode, it was lessened with this update; I used to crash every other run on Frost Mage but now I only crash rarely and my frame rate is slightly better. That being said, there are plenty of problems.

Competition

Competition is an area that can be addressed in Fractured, players have a lot of RNG hoops to run through, death abuse is encouraged, and lots of players I have spoken to feel like the rewards are very top heavy.

RNG in runs

In order to achieve a perfect run you need to have quite a few things line up in order for you to get a great time. Here are the factors you have to look for:

• Compact rooms / class appropriate rooms (no large empty hallways and close together mobs for bad grouping classes)
    • High mob density (You need three rooms for great runs not four)
    • Easily groupable mobs (no unmovable or walls)
    • Low health room bosses (Muglarp is head to town territory while WH bosses are goldmines)
    • No beetles or snipers in corners
    • Human/Fey boss that is squishy and doesn't add 6+ seconds when dying

All of these things lead to a very erratic and frustrating experience when competing. You can go for 4 hours and not get a single better time than your last even though you can see that a better time is possible if only things lined up.

A suggestion I'd like to offer is a rotating set of dungeons that are the same for two weeks that you can select, like a competitive mode, instead of the normal RNG heavy entrance that you use to level points. This would split up the two modes and the competitive variant would consist of the same enemies and rooms in order but would change every ranking season. This would allow for you to encounter a challenge and solve it every two weeks and would even the competition playing field so that everyone would have the same good/bad rooms.

Death abuse (Cooldown resets)

While this is seen as a lesser problem by most I've talked to, it's always bothered me tremendously. I feel that resurrection stones should be a means to bring you back to life in the event of a mistake. Instead, these res stones are being used as a resource to reset your cooldowns and fill your EX gauge in order to get a fast time. It's not like you can decide not to do this if you are trying to compete as you must take every advantage possible in order to compete on an even level. I would like to suggest sort of discouragement towards death through a time penalty or something that moves us away from dying and reviving over and over for the best times.

Rewards

In order to receive the most desired reward, kred, from FM you need to rank in the top 10 or the 11th to 10% category. Some classes don't have a lot of competition and you can easily rank in the top 10 for rewards if you're moderately geared while other classes are quite competitive. This kind of difference is certainly acceptable but rewards should be more aimed at the middle of the road, not the top 10 players. Even receiving 50 or 120 kred every two weeks could make a big difference in a player progressing and feeling like their entrance into FM mattered. Having a healthy competitive scene is a good thing but at the same time we shouldn't ignore those who are behind and looking to participate and share in some rewards.

Mob types / widening of class disparities

There are very large class gaps when it comes to Fractured Memory. I believe this is mainly caused by certain enemy units like sniper, beetles, and unmovable prefix/suffix on enemies. While it's understandable to be strong in some things and weak in others, things like unmovable mobs makes it very hard for classes that have poor grouping, especially when the enemy is a sniper and refuses to walk towards you. This update made the gap between the classes much larger and I think that some modifiers like walls and unmovable should be looked at.

Closing thoughts

There are certainly some goods and bads with the update to FM but I feel it leans mostly on the side of positive. It shows that they are listening and trying to get something that is more appropriate for players to play and experience to further their enjoyment of the game. Some things I'd like to see would be: continued work on the optimization, discourage res stone spam, lessen the requirement for kred rewards, changed around enemy modifiers, and implement some more consistent form of competition. The direction that ALLM is going with this is good. We aren't at the point where no one is complaining because it's perfect but I think the constructive criticism will lead Fractured Memory in a positive direction.

• OOLuigiOoOOLuigiOo Member, KOL

Spiders are an eyesore...