[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Network Outages Compensation

13»

Comments

• You might be right Counterpoint, but I'll tell you what I do know, I play a number of MMORPGs as I am sure many of us do and I have watched EME have consistently unstable servers since beta. Sure form time-to-time it gets a bit better but this is the only game where I am constantly dying due to lag of all the games I play. Plenty of other companies seem to be able to provide a decent, lag free experience, why can't EME do the same for Tera. Either they aren't doing what needs to be done or they are incompetent. I would like to think it isn't the latter in this case.
    Obviously each person's experiences will vary. Generally speaking, I've been fortunate to have a good path to the server personally and haven't had that many problems over the years (I often was lucky to bypass Zayo completely), but it totally depends on your ISP, where you live, and when you play. TERA's combat system makes it a fair bit more lag-dependent than a lot of other MMOs as well. And, lag is one of those things that you notice most when it happens to you, and obviously only people who have the problems complain. There definitely are some problems that are global/game-wide, but a lot of the problems are not.

It doesn't help that TERA also has general problems with client-side performance and serious framerate drops, and these kinds of hiccups can also easily get you killed. When people talk about "lag" on the forum, that's often a point people conflate. In addition, this version of TERA is sort of serving as a hub for the entire world, including many players from Europe, Asia, Australia, and so on. There are so many variables in those connections that contribute to the perception.

So I'm not saying there aren't problems, but I'm not sure that "what needs to be done" to create a lag-free experience for everyone is actually possible. The best way would be if they could have various servers in all the different major areas of the world where they have players, but TERA isn't that big of a game. So long as everyone worldwide all has to filter through Chicago (or, really, any one location), we'll have problems.
  • DocWinterDocWinter ✭✭
    edited December 2016

So I'm not saying there aren't problems, but I'm not sure that "what needs to be done" to create a lag-free experience for everyone is actually possible. The best way would be if they could have various servers in all the different major areas of the world where they have players, but TERA isn't that big of a game. So long as everyone worldwide all has to filter through Chicago (or, really, any one location), we'll have problems.

@counterpoint --what you are saying makes a great deal of sense. My issue is not the creation of a lag-free experience. I just want it back where it was a few months ago. Prior to some recent point in time (often asserted to coincide with the Spellbound patch, but I personally could not swear to that), the primary experiences I had with lag were tied to short-lived, special circumstances--i.e., the early Nexus runs, new class releases, triple-drop weekends, and the like--and dc's were rare for me unless the server or my ISP actually went down. Since that turning point, I have experienced regular, almost daily, episodes of freezing, frequent dc's, and dreadful skill lag (hit the key, count 2, 3, 5, as much as 20 sec, then the skill, and any others I might have hit thinking it had not registered, goes off--meanwhile, the mobs had been moving (not hit) and hitting me the whole time).

Could be a lot of things causing this. But only one thing really matters. If you expect that the game you are playing is going to, at some random time in the next 30 min or so, seriously compromise your ability to play the game as it was intended (or as well as you can play), you change the way you play, you change the parts of the game you participate in, you dramatically reduce the satisfaction of playing that game. And, while you are saying that there is NO solution to problems that many players, including myself, have been experiencing beginning in just the last few months, if I hear that from EME then this game becomes dead to me. I often tell my guildies in the game, "If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong." If EME gives up on finding a solution to these problems, then there will be no hope for me to have fun playing with such a broken experience, and it would be wrong to continue.
  • edited December 2016
    DocWinter wrote: »
    And, while you are saying that there is NO solution to problems that many players, including myself, have been experiencing beginning in just the last few months, if I hear that from EME then this game becomes dead to me. I often tell my guildies in the game, "If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong." If EME gives up on finding a solution to these problems, then there will be no hope for me to have fun playing with such a broken experience, and it would be wrong to continue.

I understand what you're saying, and can't blame you. If you're not having fun, you stop, obviously. I'm not trying to diminish the negative impact these issues are having on you and everyone else who is most affected by these problems.

The thing that's happened to the Internet over the last few months (since all this started) is that a massive botnet of IoT devices ("Mirai") became more-or-less open/accessible for anyone to use whenever they want. So massive DDoS attacks are happening constantly now, and a lot of the infrastructure companies just weren't ready. If this is going to be the new reality, obviously these companies are going to have to figure something out or else latency-dependent applications (like TERA, but also VoIP, etc.) are going to be screwed. My guess is that they'll gradually find ways, but it'll be a bumpy ride. On EME's side, they can try to put mitigating measures for cases where they themselves are under attack, and better detection systems to understand what's going on -- which is basically what they're doing. And they can always try shopping around for service providers just in case some are addressing this faster than others. I expect these will have some impact, but it's a much wider issue.

In any event, I don't think they will stop trying. Their entire business depends on people being able to stay connected to their games. Even though the problems may not have started with anything EME was or was not doing, they have to find a way to work with the cards they're dealt.

(If anyone's interested, just search for "mirai botnet" to read stories about this whole debacle. It's honestly pretty interesting, even if it's causing tons of problems for everyone.)
  • DocWinter wrote: »
    And, while you are saying that there is NO solution to problems that many players, including myself, have been experiencing beginning in just the last few months, if I hear that from EME then this game becomes dead to me. I often tell my guildies in the game, "If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong." If EME gives up on finding a solution to these problems, then there will be no hope for me to have fun playing with such a broken experience, and it would be wrong to continue.

I understand what you're saying, and can't blame you. If you're not having fun, you stop, obviously. I'm not trying to diminish the negative impact these issues are having on you and everyone else who is most affected by these problems.

The thing that's happened to the Internet over the last few months (since all this started) is that a massive botnet of IoT devices ("Mirai") became more-or-less open/accessible for anyone to use whenever they want. So massive DDoS attacks are happening constantly now, and a lot of the infrastructure companies just weren't ready. If this is going to be the new reality, obviously these companies are going to have to figure something out or else latency-dependent applications (like TERA, but also VoIP, etc.) are going to be screwed. My guess is that they'll gradually find ways, but it'll be a bumpy ride. On EME's side, they can try to put mitigating measures for cases where they themselves are under attack, and better detection systems to understand what's going on -- which is basically what they're doing. And they can always try shopping around for service providers just in case some are addressing this faster than others. I expect these will have some impact, but it's a much wider issue.

In any event, I don't think they will stop trying. Their entire business depends on people being able to stay connected to their games. Even though the problems may not have started with anything EME was or was not doing, they have to find a way to work with the cards they're dealt.

(If anyone's interested, just search for "mirai botnet" to read stories about this whole debacle. It's honestly pretty interesting, even if it's causing tons of problems for everyone.)

So in short. It's a case of "Laggy until further notice" due to unforeseen events and a swift disruption of the internet due to the DDoS attacks?/
  • The game is stable, the problem that this route change screwed with my latency, I'm in the south of Brazil, before playing with 168ms now with 220ms leaving impossible to play, even using programs like noping and wtfast I am over 200ms.
  • The same problem i have @DBED, but actually i felt this way since the server merge, my internet connection is not that stable, but i could get like 150-170ms, after the server merge everytime i log in i get like 180-500ms, which is insane.
  • ElyannElyann ✭✭✭
    My ping keeps being unstable nowadays and I didn't have any problems until the servers got upgraded.
    Try to fix the issue whatever it is , please
  • So ever since Eme decide to switch servers or whatever I been getting constantly DC every day I play, so whats the point of receiving free elite when I can't even stay on for 2 minutes without getting Disconnected?
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    I really can't side with other Europeans who complain about bad ping while playing on the american servers. Whatever changes EME did with their servers didn't really affect my ping or ability to connect to game at all here in Finland. From my own experience I haven't even noticed any good reason to receive these compensations.
  • GlacGlac ✭✭
    Any head way on figuring out the constant sever site/routing lag spikes Tera has had and continue to get worse? This new patch is going to be awful if you guys can't figure this out since BH has went almost entirely to I-frame mechs for Hardmodes. Don't want compensation as a resolution, just a real fix. Always "investigating" but it seems the investigators are sleeping! (Posted on this old post intentionally)