Harrowhold patch Notes for the most recent update

Hey everyone,

I want to talk a little bit about the most recent patch notes. I've noted on the forums that there's been a fair bit of roasting going on about the EME Harrowhold patch notes vs the Gameforge patch notes. If you aren't aware of the difference, the TL;DR is that our notes were "Harrowhold was made more difficult", and the Gameforge notes were very specific about what was changing in each phase, and by how much.

I want to talk a little about my thought process around that, because I had all of that information to hand, and I consciously chose to not include that level of specificity in the notes. Different game companies (and different games) handle patch notes differently. Some games come out indicating that a particular world boss or raid dungeon has been changed, but without saying exactly how. From my perspective, that's a key part of playing a game and putting raids on farm. So in my view of patch notes, giving away all the specific info on what was tuned is removing the exploration and understanding aspect of raiding. I know in the past the patch notes might have been extremely detailed, but my preference is to allow some mystery and discovery to happen for our players.

So that's the thought process that went into that particular note. I know that at least some guilds and premades have continued downing Harrowhold, and even that some have gone from a 6 hour clear to a 1.5 hour clear of the raid since the patch. I like to believe that re-learning curve is part of the challenge and fun of playing games like TERA. Hopefully this gives a little insight into what's going on behind the scenes, and why our patch notes have the tone and style they do.

Comments

• I hope Lunar Dancer doesn't get such treatment

New Class:Lunar Dancer

Go figure stuff out yourself!
  • StarSpriteStarSprite ✭✭✭✭
    I hope Lunar Dancer doesn't get such treatment

I wouldn't mind a vague description when it was released and then more information posted after it's been out for a few days.
  • streetdogstreetdog ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There's no exploration at all. Everything that comes to us, has already been in Ktera and people who have cleared HH so far, read and prepare themselves according to that. If you don't explain properly in the patch notes, it only creates frustration and annoyance...

Also, just for the protocol, yesterday we had 50 min clear which is probably the fastest post buff clear in NA so far :p
  • SwollenPopoSwollenPopo ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    StarSprite wrote: »

I wouldn't mind a vague description when it was released and then more information posted after it's been out for a few days.

Yeah or EME could just add details in hidden form. You press + and more stuff pops up!
  • XR6GREJ4WD wrote: »
    For example, my friend was THIS CLOSE to making Ambush weapon and to +15 it. But after seeing KTERA's next patch where the mid-tier weapon is BETTER than Ambush +15, he decided against it thus saving LOTS of gold in the process. In the end, it was beneficial to know this information ahead of time.

Why people keep spreading wrong information omg...

• StarSpriteStarSprite ✭✭✭✭
    StarSprite wrote: »

Yeah or EME could just add details in hidden form. You press + and more stuff pops up!

Yeah it's not a bad idea. Maybe add a spoiler page or something.

The thing is in the past players have complained that our region is easier because we know what to expect well ahead of time. Fan sites do a really good job translating the ktera patch notes which can prepare us for future updates in our own region. The downside is players can be too prepared and get bored of new content a lot faster. Would as many groups been able to clear Harold Hold the first week if they didn't know the mechanics from the start? The expectation to run with those groups is that you're already familiar with the dungeon by reading the guides and watching the videos before it's even released.

It's not really a bad thing. I liked being able to clear quickly but it does remove part of the challenge, I think.

BHS would need to release content in multiple regions at the same time to make it something players would have to experience themselves to learn. I don't think it's possible but it'd be a solution.

I don't think EmE was trying to have negative intentions or be lazy. They were trying to make it a challenge for the groups that already have HH on farm. The problem is what's already been mentioned in this thread so it's seen as pointless.
  • Noesis wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I want to talk a little bit about the most recent patch notes. I've noted on the forums that there's been a fair bit of roasting going on about the EME Harrowhold patch notes vs the Gameforge patch notes. If you aren't aware of the difference, the TL;DR is that our notes were "Harrowhold was made more difficult", and the Gameforge notes were very specific about what was changing in each phase, and by how much.

I want to talk a little about my thought process around that, because I had all of that information to hand, and I consciously chose to not include that level of specificity in the notes. Different game companies (and different games) handle patch notes differently. Some games come out indicating that a particular world boss or raid dungeon has been changed, but without saying exactly how. From my perspective, that's a key part of playing a game and putting raids on farm. So in my view of patch notes, giving away all the specific info on what was tuned is removing the exploration and understanding aspect of raiding. I know in the past the patch notes might have been extremely detailed, but my preference is to allow some mystery and discovery to happen for our players.

So that's the thought process that went into that particular note. I know that at least some guilds and premades have continued downing Harrowhold, and even that some have gone from a 6 hour clear to a 1.5 hour clear of the raid since the patch. I like to believe that re-learning curve is part of the challenge and fun of playing games like TERA. Hopefully this gives a little insight into what's going on behind the scenes, and why our patch notes have the tone and style they do.

So you guys are taken the FromSoftware approach on patch notes, i don´t know how that would work on a mmorpg.
  • KetothKetoth ✭✭✭✭
    Plz dont tell me "... allow some mystery and discovery to happen for our players..." apply to crit chance equation TT_TT
    Hey everyone,

It's amazing how your strategy exactly matches the course of action that minimises how much work you have to do.

Hey everyone,

I agree. When I play a game. Generally I find it more interesting and appealing in discovering things for myself and what works.. True it is nice that players make "Guides" this comes from exploration to begin with and sharing once experience in what actually would work best. I myself can side with Noesis on this preferential view on note announcements.
    The player base in general is toxic in communication as it is. Even when fully announced notes where taking place. People still through out their toxic opinions. I am glad for this particular change.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noesis wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

It's amazing how your strategy exactly matches the course of action that minimises how much work you have to do.

Seems there would be less work if they had the detailed notes at this point, so I don't think that's what it was.
  • Yamazuki wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Seems there would be less work if they had the detailed notes at this point, so I don't think that's what it was.

I do not believe that the developer would provide EME with excellently worded patch notes ready for publication.
    I mean seriously, does that sound like BHS to you? My guess is that it arrives barely even readable and I'm basing this on how long EME usually take to get the patch notes out and how frequently there are errors.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I do not believe that the developer would provide EME with excellently worded patch notes ready for publication.
    I mean seriously, does that sound like BHS to you? My guess is that it arrives barely even readable and I'm basing this on how long EME usually take to get the patch notes out and how frequently there are errors.

Patch notes are translated into English when Korea gets them voluntarily. They could be lazy and copy/paste the translated notes. One of Gameforge's patch notes had been worded exactly to what Yosha's translated notes were.
  • We already know that everything said here is just a lie to hide the mistakes and inability of BHS make something decent with quality. In KTera they very often get mistaken/incomplete patch notes, why a localized version would get it better?
    As someone already said, there is no mystery when we can go and check out KTera notes for these changes. Nice try EME, next time you guys might try a better argument (lie).
  • 66ECX7NAN766ECX7NAN7 ✭✭✭✭
    So if you already had the information why get upset about not receiving it a second time?