[PC] We will be entering into maintenance on 03/25 (Wed) at 8:00 am PST, and will have an estimated downtime of approximately 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance

Healers, how do you keep your sanity?

Comments

• TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did we take from this lesson? If someone is being a [filtered] to you, remember healers, you're god in the party. Without you, the party wipes.

Or they get a better healer.
  • edited November 2017
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    What did we take from this lesson? If someone is being a [filtered] to you, remember healers, you're god in the party. Without you, the party wipes.

Or they get a better healer.

That is true too. But that's if they have the patience to queue up for another healer.
  • I've been mostly playing as a level 42 Priest. I feel your pain. I've only been playing for a few days, and have had at least two people in Cultists Revenge being mean. I'm glad I can understand, but it sucks all the same. They always cuss me out for some reason. (And I know they would have died a whole lot more if I hadn't been spamming healing.) But most of the time, I'm the only healer on the whole team. I can't heal people if they aren't close enough, or heal them all the time if I have about five more people to worry about. It's like I'm never good enough honestly. And it's super hard to get them in the crosshairs sometimes if they keep moving. We can only do our best, but I feel like a healer-hater will always be somewhere.
  • TewiiTewii ✭✭✭
    I just want to say I legit hate healers who feel its their right to play god with the party. Heal your group. That is your job.
  • Tewii wrote: »
    I just want to say I legit hate healers who feel its their right to play god with the party. Heal your group. That is your job.

• FaytEsteem wrote: »
    When dealing with other dps/tanks who don't block or dodge and get hit by every attack and constantly yell at you to heal/cleanse them when your trying to res another party member and what not.....how do you manage to stay sane here?

I do my job and thank them internally for taking damage. I dont know why you think a healer just wants to stand around and check their text messages rather than play the game. If the dps takes minor boss hits for a gain in dps, then they are doing their jobs. However taking a high damage attack is on them as a dead dps is not dpsing and a healer thats got to res is not debuffing or healing the not dead people.

What pisses me off are the healers that dont debuff, dont heal mana and think its their job to just stand around and top people off. Those guys are worthless.
  • phantazum wrote: »
    FaytEsteem wrote: »
    When dealing with other dps/tanks who don't block or dodge and get hit by every attack and constantly yell at you to heal/cleanse them when your trying to res another party member and what not.....how do you manage to stay sane here?

I do my job and thank them internally for taking damage. I dont know why you think a healer just wants to stand around and check their text messages rather than play the game. If the dps takes minor boss hits for a gain in dps, then they are doing their jobs. However taking a high damage attack is on them as a dead dps is not dpsing and a healer thats got to res is not debuffing or healing the not dead people.

What pisses me off are the healers that dont debuff, dont heal mana and think its their job to just stand around and top people off. Those guys are worthless.

Did I say anywhere that "a healer just wants to stand around and check their text messages rather than play the game." I don't think I did, I asked how do healers keep sane in either a PvP or a PvE situation, when ppl don't take damage yeah it gets boring. I do my job and heal, but when they constantly take damage and blame you for what you're doing I now tend to just get a bucket of ice cream and chow down on the salt coming towards me.
  • As a healer main who has been constantly clearing Hard mode dungeons (meaning I have some experience), I can tell you this:

Most of the time, if ppl take damage, even if they do it constantly - you can save them. And if you can save them - it's your job to do it. Being a healer is doing everything you possibly can to save a group and give them opportunity to deal damage. The only thing you can't save ppl from is one-shots, if you are having a hard time healing people when they get hit a lot - just get better. There is almost always something you could've done to save them. Analyze your actions and improve. Also, ask for advice from more experienced players about how to approach certain situations.

You might say, "hey, how can I outheal a tank that does not block?". And if you have a tank like that in a harder dungeon - maybe you can't always save them. However, here goes my second advice: do not use instance matching if you don't want to get players like that.
    If you use LFG, you will mostly be getting skilled people who are good with the basics. In the last year I've had only one bad experience when I couldn't save my party. They were really bad, yes, and they blamed me, but I was just new to the patch and didn't know the best way to deal with the boss. But even that party could've been carried by a healer - it was just a matter of being skilled enough. But other than that nobody ever said to me I was a bad healer or told me to kill ms.

So it boils down to this: run dungeons with your friends/skilled ppl with adequate gear, and if you happen to play with a particularly bad player - just don't run with them again. After you made sure you are running with skilled players - keep getting better at the game. You goal is to be confidently keeping ppl alive even if they get hit by every non-one-shot attack. And it is very possible, I assure you.

Cheers.
  • I just let them lay there for awhile and think about it. But there are times you just wanna pull your hair out and go for coffee.
  • Most times I'll ignore them.
    There have been a few occasions where the players have been exceptionally rude (threatening GvG, telling me to kms, accusing me of things), at which point I leash them into wipe mechanics and stop healing. They can die on the floor like they deserve.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    CornishRex wrote: »
    Healing is probably one of the easiest things in tera so idk when people insult your skills (even if they're rude) I'd take a good look at myself and think:

Considering most people are aware of the importance of a healer and have seen at least one of the "never my fault" forum discussions with a dash of "I just stop healing them/Kill them on purpose".

Siderant: Why is it that healers only gather on forums to talk about being underpowered and to collectively pat themselves on the heads? When anyone makes a tips-and-tricks topic, that dies on the first page. But when it's about "all those baddies who are being rude to me even though I'm a literal god and play flawlessly", we always get all the healers to show up and tell each other "dw, boo, u iz purrrfect, dey just baaad". /end

One should really ask themselves: How badly is the healer doing for anyone to decide they don't care any more? I've done that exactly one time and it was because I knew, at that point, it didn't matter whether we had that healer or not. He went afk to show me(the tank) who's boss. Nobody even noticed. Most people will tolerate bad healers as long as they are at least doing something worth keeping. I sometimes let my pocket tank go with other healers just so I can get more cookies during the next run. No matter how miserable he gets, he won't say anything to them(even though he could [filtered] them off, flex his tank status and get them replaced by me) unless they are quite literally doing nothing. The other day he got into a fight with a priest after the run because he was convinced that priest was killing him on purpose and he -still- waited till the run was over to get hissy about it.
    On the other hand, being flat out insulted without me picking a fight(because I found people tend to get very defensive when you open your mouth and call them bad) has happened to me exactly 2 times in 5 years of playing Tera. The first time it was a guy who demanded a mana mote not realising I was spamming heal-cleanse just to keep him alive. So, I walked over to him, dropped the mote, got out of harm's way and that was all the time he needed to get flattened by the boss. I just said "you wanted mana *shrug*". Didn't even have to initiate a kick, the party did it for me. The second time I knew I was underperforming so when the guy started yelling at me, I quietly accepted that I deserve it and attempted to try harder. Which didn't quite work. And the carry dps did not appreciate my growing levels of misery at all so, after telling the guy to get good and learn to dodge, a kick was promptly initiated.

At the end of the day, if you get yelled at more than you get praised(and somebody adding you to their fl after a run counts as praise), you are not nearly as good as you think you are. There is no wide-spread "always blame the healer" mentality among players and using that to protect your feelings is preventing you from getting better. Also, you are not a god. Tera is so full of healers right now, you are the most replaceable class there is. DDs have more power than you do. If you wanna be irreplaceable, get off your high horse and become the type of healer who does such a great job, the party wants to keep them, no matter what.
  • ArdireArdire ✭✭✭✭✭
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    Siderant: Why is it that healers only gather on forums to talk about being underpowered and to collectively pat themselves on the heads? When anyone makes a tips-and-tricks topic, that dies on the first page. But when it's about "all those baddies who are being rude to me even though I'm a literal god and play flawlessly", we always get all the healers to show up and tell each other "dw, boo, u iz purrrfect, dey just baaad". /end

probably because a huge majority of healers are played by women (not that the majority of women are playing healers, plenty are dps mains, etc, but you know) and most women aren't used to the mmo mentality of 'tough love' in the form of advice from such, like tera compared to any online fps is woefully soft when it comes to the sort of verbal abuse you see

and before anyone walks in like OMG NOT ALL WOMEN!!!! yeah that's why i said majority and "most"
  • I've never been yelled at for my healing, and I quite enjoy healing trap runs.
  • @TWMagimay *applause*
    Said wonderful.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Don't forget to hug any priests you see. Times are tough. Been seeing more and more "mystic only" LFGs, even when the majority of the party consists of DPS who benefit from power and have a low crit cap.

I healed an LFG Sky Cruiser on my priest where a gunner of all people seemed upset that I wasn't a mystic. A gunner, upset that someone else isn't ditching their main to play the more optimal class that literally plays itself. Okay. While we're at it, why don't you drop your gunner and make a valk, if being optimal is so important to you. Meanwhile, the tank's a brawler and no one's voicing their opinions about that, even though it's the second worst tank in the game right now with almost no party utility to speak of. Exasperated with hearing this [filtered] at the start of the dungeon, I invited them to find a mystic if it mattered so much to them (the LFG had not specified a preference; usually I steer clear of people who are friendless enough to LFG a team from scratch but still want to be picky about who opts to heal their ragtag team of potential traps) and immediately left to go do something else.

Someone must have realized they were being jerks, because they reinvited me, I rejoined, and sure enough they played so poorly in the Darkan fight that I honestly don't think the kinds of bandwagon mystic alts I've seen lately in LFG would have been able to carry them through it. I've seen a lot of hard-to-heal teams in my three years of playing this game, but that was one of the more intense Darkan fights I've been in, which is saying something since it's [filtered] normal mode Darkan who's easy af right now. People would drop puddles in the center of the room and then stand in them afterwards taking massive hits each second, people would dps in the slow moving one-shot cage mechanics and then die, multiple people took every swipe, and would then scatter like chickens with the bleed, the tank couldn't keep aggro (even though the fight dragged on for so long that I began to wonder what the DPS were even doing) so the boss kept turning which exacerbated the swiping problem, one guy kept taking bleeds and then running to the corner of the arena, literally 100+ meters away from everyone, like he was contagious. Even the gunner who complained I wasn't a mystic at the start would have died to a one-shot if not for his gunner passive. The whole thing was one long slog (though quite enjoyable to heal, as I usually fall asleep during darkan with competent teams), which was quite ironic after all the huffing and puffing about me not being a mystic, since multiple times my priest kit was what saved them from dying when they were literally losing chunks of health every second. It honestly seemed like most of them had never been to SC before, which begs the question -- why care who heals your trap team in this regard? Just be glad someone's willing to do it tbh. Whoever said LFG had competent players really made me laugh with that one. On CH I feel like it's almost the same as just IMSing, which would be fine if these same really terrible players could get off their high horses and stop begging for mystics as if a mystic will suddenly correct their playing style and triple their damage output. Sick of people who can't even play the [filtered] game demanding mystics as if priests are the problem with their abysmal damage and their inability to stay alive against one-shot mechanics.

Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest. My other main is a lancer, and I've never cared about who heals me as long as they keep my mana up during a.rush and perform their basic roles within the group. I'm not gonna lie, I used to get excited when I had a mystic in my group because of the possibility for increased crits, but for some reason or another it's rarely made a big difference for me and my top scoring runs tend to have priests as the healer instead, though the difference is often negligible. On my archer too, who's in stormcry now and has done every piece of content the patch has to offer, I just change up my jewelry depending on which healer I go with and things are fine. I'm sure it's just RNG, and I'm not gonna sit here and act like BHS didn't totally hand mystics the healing game on a silver platter this patch, I'm just trying to underscore why I can't be bothered to care who heals me as long as they do their job right. And like, I'm not garbage either; I know what I'm doing on these classes and play them well, and if I happen to do poorly I'll look over what I could have done differently rather than blame the priest for being a priest and not a mystic. I wish there were an in game dps meter so I could go into more depth about this without being permabanned but TL;DR I'm a crit-dependent lancer and I don't care which healer I get, but every time I switch to my priest for a bit I have to watch DPS who do less damage than my tank acting like a mystic would make the difference for them when their rotation's off and they're doing all kinds of stupid [filtered]. It's laughable on a good day and highly frustrating on a bad one.