[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

From girl gamers...

Comments

• Venpai wrote: »

if you think words are JUST words in some cases then. well. your privilege is showing. speaking to real life for a moment, emotional abuse and mental abuse are real things. and some of that abuse is """just words""" so if you want to like, invalidate some abuse victims with saying words are "just words" then sure have fun :+1:

and yes before you say anything OBVIOUSLY some words are just words. your heals suck, you are bad at the game, etc etc are just words. you know what i mean.

Aren't you the one who's comments are the most agressive and filtred here ?
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    Kaidun wrote: »
    Venpai wrote: »

if you think words are JUST words in some cases then. well. your privilege is showing. speaking to real life for a moment, emotional abuse and mental abuse are real things. and some of that abuse is """just words""" so if you want to like, invalidate some abuse victims with saying words are "just words" then sure have fun :+1:

and yes before you say anything OBVIOUSLY some words are just words. your heals suck, you are bad at the game, etc etc are just words. you know what i mean.

Aren't you the one who's comments are the most agressive and filtred here ?

j erk and b utt and d amn are being filtered.

seriously, most of what i've been saying is j erk and b utt. it's the censors being weird.
  • KertainKertain ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    i was speaking in general, not just online.

Well then you're going off-topic because this topic is about a letter adressed to men gamers by woman gamers, the moment you exit the game you go off-topic, if you want to deny examples such as slavery and racism that was brought up before you shouldn't be giving examples from outside game either.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Kertain wrote: »
    i was speaking in general, not just online.

Well then you're going off-line because this topic is about a letter adressed to men gamers by woman gamers, the moment you exit the game you go off-topic, if you want to deny examples such as slavery and racism that was brought up before you can't be giving examples from outside game.

i say it as general because it applies online but also offline. so it's general? still on topic. it's not nearly as off topic as SLAVERY and STARVING CHILDREN IN AFRICA.

also it was easier for them to understand, or at least i was trying for it to be. (not saying they didn't understand it or they aren't smart enough or whatever. it was to be easily understood.)
  • KertainKertain ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    And I though it was easier to understand using another example of discrimination such as racism, both are discrimination, same way as bacon and sausages have different names but both are pig meat, racism and sexism are both discrimination, so to me it's not going off-topic.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    And I though it was easier to understand using another example of discrimination such as racism, both are discrimination, same way as bacon and sausages have different names but both are pig meat, racism and sexism are both discrimination, so to me it's not going off-topic.

see, that's fine and all. genuinely. but the problem is they compared it to something that couldn't even have a parallel drawn to it. like starving kids in africa is excuse for being mean online because bads things happen deal with it. ?????

• KertainKertain ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Well if you don't deal with it one way (ignoring) or another (protesting) you'll just stay the same. And although i admit that is going off-topic and something people with low argumentative capabilities would use, I do have to admit if someone put a bunch of problems in front of me and said: "Which one would you solve first?" I will be honest and say it wouldn't be girls in gaming, specially not the one who opened the topic, and also because other girls here already proved women are capable to show by themselves what they are worth without the need of complaining in the forums.

I will give an ingame example, back in the times of MCHM I instance matched for MCNM (which is a BIG MISTAKE) and i got carried by a couple (warr tank male and priest female), the other 3 (us 3 DPS) just lay dead most of the time, so yeah that girl was a much better player than me and she could prove it by herself without any need to resort to forums.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    Well if you don't deal with it one way (ignoring) or another (protesting) you'll just stay the same. And although i admit that is going off-topic and something people with low argumentative capabilities would use, I do have to admit if someone put a bunch of problems in front of me and said: "Which one would you solve first?" I will be honest and say it wouldn't be girls in gaming, specially not the one who opened the topic, and also because other girls here already proved women are capable to show by themselves what they are worth without the need of complaining in the forums.

I will give an ingame example, back in the times of MCHM I instance matched for MCNM (which is a BIG MISTAKE) and i got carried by a couple (warr tank male and priest female), the other 3 (us 3 DPS) just lay dead most of the time, so yeah that girl was a much better player than me and she could prove it by herself without any need to resort to forums.

see, that's the beauty of being human. you can focus your attention on more than one issue at a time. you don't need to hyper focus on one issue and ONLY one. like, as a hastily put together example because i'm pulling an all nigher and it's 4 am, you can actively try to stop racism and ALSO stop people from being toxic to others on the internet. (and hell with this being the internet, you're pretty much doing both at the same time. :angry:)

also, this is not complaining? this is discussing experiences. complaining would be ew eugh men suck they need to die. and yes we're like uhg guys doing this suck, but we're also talking about why it sucks and what can be done differently.
  • KertainKertain ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Well at least where I live this is complaining, nothing wrong with complaining though, thats what sindicates do all the time and it's for the best of the associated workers (at least in theory).

And about "men suck they need to die", if I haven't seen that written here yet, it's got pretty close to it. One more thing, although I agree with the "verbal abuse is also abuse" and "women suffer a lot in games and rl", well a fact is if RL had a "block button" and a "leave guild button" you wouldn't be so exposed to so many problems.

My point here is in games it's much easyer to deal with harrassment than real life, by no means am I saying it should be allowed, thats why there's also a "report button", which is the closest to "calling the police". There will always be criminals, we can at most reduce their number in the future by example their penalties now.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    Well at least where I live this is complaining, nothing wrong with complaining though, thats what sindicates do all the time and it's for the best of the associated workers (at least in theory).

And about "men suck they need to die", if I haven't seen that written here yet, it's got pretty close to it. One more thing, although I agree with the "verbal abuse is also abuse" and "women suffer a lot in games and rl", well a fact is if RL had a "block button" and a "leave guild button" you wouldn't be so exposed to so many problems.

My point here is in games it's much easyer to deal with harrassment than real life, by no means am I saying it should be allowed, thats why there's also a "report button", which is the closest to "calling the police". There will always be criminals, we can at most reduce their number in the future by example their penalties now.

if you're seeing posts close to ew men should die then i must be blind. o.O

and yeah i know it's a little easier to deal with the harassment, but it still isn't an excuse to ignore that it's happening actively and the like. that's hat i'm getting at.
  • SinastriaSinastria ✭✭✭
    The point is that weakling cowards just say wathever 'cause a monitor cannot punch you back.

In online communities you can mantain order in two ways:

-Ban is a thing, so you try to behave.
    -There are game machanics that allow you to ruin another player, so if you don't behave you can have that couple of guilds ready to loot you.

Thick skin or not people should not be allowed to be [filtered].

I can have a pair big as Jupiter and Saturnus, people starve in Africa but still this cannot legitimate players to act as jerks.
  • SinastriaSinastria ✭✭✭
    Not saying it's the best possible thing, but it works when you need in game justice :awesome:
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    i was speaking in general, not just online. but if you think some people stop at just "mean words" on the internet, then you're delusional. doxxing, stalking, etc.

Please, tell me more about the guy from the other end of the world who's stalking you online and how horrible that must be for you.

I wish I were privileged enough to think words can hurt me. But I guess somebody who's never gone through real, life-threatening abuse would need something to get that victim status and "mean words on the internet" is a good place to start.
    Disclaimer: Don't forget were are talking online, not about a parent verbally abusing their child(though even in that case I can tell you the belt hurts more than the words).

All words are just words. Words can't punch you, words can't make you coffee, words can pay the pills. The only power words have is the power you give to them. If you choose to make them a big deal and let them ruin your life, that's on you, not the words.
  • SinastriaSinastria ✭✭✭
    Yep, in a world as shallow as a 5 bucks note words aren't worth that much.
  • FalsifierFalsifier ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    All words are just words. Words can't punch you, words can't make you coffee, words can pay the pills. The only power words have is the power you give to them. If you choose to make them a big deal and let them ruin your life, that's on you, not the words.

Psychological pain is worse than physical .

If someone punches me in the face it will obviously be painful ,probably I will bleed but i can endure it and payback

if someone stabs me in the leg it will hurt , I will beed at first and not walk for several months but then problem is gone .

If someone I love slaps me in the face and and tells me to go to hell , it's not gonna hurt but it will destroy me inside .
    Everyone can have a hard stone body , it takes nothing to endure the aches but it's way harder to stand against the stress , fear and discomfort .

sure , getting hurt by one random person on the internet insulting you is nothing and crying for that is pathetic , but what if it's more than one ?

This discussion has been closed.