From girl gamers...

Comments

• Mobius1Mobius1 ✭✭✭
    Well, technically, those statistics about female gamers include phone games, etc.. Play Candy Crush? Technically that counts you as a gamer.

But in MMOs, there ARE far less girls, which is partly why guys are so weird toward them.
  • I thought the recent study didn't include mobile and social media games? Either way I just enjoy games and if someone doesn't think I really do that is on them and not me. Ya know?
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    just because there aren't as many of us playing games as there are guys, doesn't mean they should act weird towards us or disrespect us. if you use the argument of us being minorities as an excuse for why people treat others weird or disrespectful, then I guess these guys are the same ones that will act bad towards people that isn't the same race as them, or handicapped, and so on. this is the 2010s, not the 1950s. us girls are allowed to allowed to go to work and outside all by ourselves lol. I hope the people that mistreat others in game will stop and think about their actions when they are in the real world.
  • Funny enough, I've been thought of as a female gamer before, it's probably my personality mixed with other things... But it's not like I do it on purpose, and usually try to let people know before things get too odd. As for the topic, its still hard to beleive that people still act this way. Personally I enjoy talking to others in-game, even more so if they are female (dont read this wrong, I just like having friends to talk to, as I have no female friends at all close by). Guys and girls tend to see things differently and play differently (not always, I know), so its nice to see both sides of it. Not to mention a few of the female gamers I know (as few as they are) are some of my closest friends. So why people follow this stereotype and belittle female gamers like that is just wrong.
  • BrofessorXBrofessorX ✭✭✭
    you need to find quality men to play with, not boys .
    i appreciate the hell out of good girl gamers, they make the game more lively and add something unique.
    i've always had a girl sidekick or vice versa and without one you find yourself missing out on something great.
    im currently solo but would love to find a quality friend on here.
  • BrofessorX wrote: »
    you need to find quality men to play with, not boys .
    i appreciate the hell out of good girl gamers, they make the game more lively and add something unique.
    i've always had a girl sidekick or vice versa and without one you find yourself missing out on something great.
    im currently solo but would love to find a quality friend on here.

That's because really good friends are hard to come by nowadays. It's really unfortunate, to be honest.
    edited May 2016
    good things are hard to find. i agree.
    id rather play with more girl gamers, it's more dynamic.
  • TheCatalystTheCatalyst ✭✭✭
    One thing that I hate about this stuff...

Is that it makes us female gamer looks like we need special treatment...

For me, its the internet. Everybody get trolled and/or harassed.
    Regardless of the gender.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    not looking for special treatment, just looking to be treated like a human being. citing that its the internet, doesn't make it right for mistreatment of people in general. I know there are so many keyboard cowboys out there that use the internet to make themselves feel like a big boy, but common courtesy and respect should be used in games and online. if you look at it from just a gaming point of view, then they could at least have good sportsmanship, like in real sports or other competitive situations. so no, " its just the internet " is not an excuse for being a [filtered]. it is a selfish mentality that people have and it spills out into the real world.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoltariel wrote: »
    I thought the recent study didn't include mobile and social media games? Either way I just enjoy games and if someone doesn't think I really do that is on them and not me. Ya know?

They mostly do include mobile games due to the popularity and profit from them, and they are well... games. There wouldn't be much to say if you didn't include them anyways. PC/Console has, and will be for a while, dominated by males. This type of gaming had been labeled as "masculine", and for the longest time from a social perspective it was something only lazy/unproductive/irresponsible people participated in which made it less likely for females to even try them, let alone actually get into it. There are a lot of females that don't like games and a fair amount of them never tried it, they hate it because they think it's irresponsible and is a distraction from the "important" things based on what they've been told.
  • FalsifierFalsifier ✭✭✭
    In Global Chat Nobody really thinks what they say , they just do it to troll others and have fun .

But then , why do you even care what gender people think you are ?
    One thing that I hate about this stuff...

Is that it makes us female gamer looks like we need special treatment...

For me, its the internet. Everybody get trolled and/or harassed.
    Regardless of the gender.

yeah but in Tera there's way too much "trolling" . it's so lame
  • TheCatalystTheCatalyst ✭✭✭
    not looking for special treatment, just looking to be treated like a human being. citing that its the internet, doesn't make it right for mistreatment of people in general. I know there are so many keyboard cowboys out there that use the internet to make themselves feel like a big boy, but common courtesy and respect should be used in games and online. if you look at it from just a gaming point of view, then they could at least have good sportsmanship, like in real sports or other competitive situations. so no, " its just the internet " is not an excuse for being a [filtered]. it is a selfish mentality that people have and it spills out into the real world.

I never said its alright to mistreat people and/or being a [filtered], just because its the internet.
    Don't put words into my mouth.

I don't know what agenda that you're trying to push here, but it is what it is.

Its the internet.

There are jerks and trolls, and there are good and sporting people.
    Regardless of gender.

You think female gamer generalization is bad?
    Do you know what's the generalization on the male gamer?
    Fat, useless lazy bum, who live in their parent's basement, [filtered] off to sexualized cartoon characters.

So, no. No to gender marginalization.
    If I am to be given common courtesy and respect, I prefer it to be because I'm a human being.
    Not as a female gamer.
  • Mobius1Mobius1 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    EDIT - Please stay on topic and don't give credit to negative stereotypes.
  • LatzaLatza ✭✭
    KishaSen wrote: »
    1) THERE IS NO FEMALE GAMER...THERE IS ONLY "ATTENTION WH*RE"!

Let me elaborate on this from female gamer to female gamer. The whole reason this has started up is because of basically the picture you posted at the end. There have been a lot of females that try and cob attention in console gaming in that way (and it works lol). Where the men are faulty on this is that actual female gamers are nothing like that. We just want to play the games, get our characters leveled, and get into some good PvE or PvP just like they do.

Now to add my own opinion, there is actually a very good balance of male to female gamers IN PC GAMING/MMOS. In console gaming the male population is far larger than female. And a lot of the cancer you've brought up in your initial post has to do with things in console gaming. Having played MMOs since I was 7 (yeup, me Dad let me play WoW that young!), I honestly have not run into very many sexist arseholes or serious offenses of sexual harassment, and that's coming from someone who is a boy magnet.

I just never really understood the fuss when it comes to PC gaming or MMOs, but I can definitely tell a lot of this would apply to console gaming. /shrug
This discussion has been closed.