This game is so easy... (Beware, rant here)

13»

Comments

• NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I explained on another thread, I believe the level up game can be made a little bit harder, but also shorter and streamlined. Now when I say a bit harder I don't mean Nintendo hard or Dark Souls. Just, make things not die in one shot. Make level up dungeons relevant again. I know that with the right difficulty, casuals will enjoy the challenge and even some hardcores might like it, even if it would still be easy for them.

I say this because right now the level up game is almost akin to..
    atarioneswitch.jpg
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    sestina wrote: »
    6YaoKcU.jpg

dat necro.

Blergh! Fell for it.
  • Ive been saying the same thing. [filtered] is too easy, no team work game. Loting system is awkward. I dont want to complain to much cause apparently tou get banned around here for making suggestions or pointing out flaws. Forums is place where you cant express you opinion and if you do people get butt hurt ibstead of having a big boy discussion and admitting the flaws.

Good luck trying to fix TERA.
  • Too easy or just not as hard? Exactly why would anyone want to enchanting to be more difficult? What is the point in that? The last thing any game should be is tedious and frustrating.
  • edited June 2016
    I'm glad I found this thread. I am normally never a part of the forums for this game, but this issue has become so outrageous to me, that I had to post something. I took at least two years off and came back a few months ago. I created a new character and was VERY excited about the new intro solo story line. I thought, "Wow, if this is a sign of what they have done with the game, it will be AWESOME!" The story was engaging, the missions were fun and challenging (but not overly so), and the video sequences were great! And then it all fell apart . . .

After the first intro sequence on the island (forget the name), it went back to the same old running all over God's creation to deliver messages and say hello to a million NPCs. Then, when I do actually get to fight, it feels like driving a driverless Google car on auto-pilot. I'm just sitting there for the ride making sure nothing goes wrong. But what can go wrong? I level so fast and get such good gear so easily that finishing a quest against a boss (or worse, mobs!), is all the fun of watching paint dry!

Shouldn't same level mobs be challenging but somewhat easy? Shouldn't mobs 1-2 levels above me be challenging (but doable with decent skill) and shouldn't mobs 3+ levels above me be very challenging to next to impossible solo? As it is, I can take on mobs 3+ (and usually 5+ levels) above me without batting an eye. I mean, it's so bad that I NEVER have to use HP potions, and don't get me started on MP potions. Even magic users don't use enough MP to ever have to suck down a bottle of blue potion!

I want to feel like I'm actually accomplishing something for the alliance (federation or whatever you call it) -like I'm a part of the story. You read the text from the NPC and it sounds like this BIG, huge task. You go to the boss and lop off his head WITH 1 HIT! Good grief almighty, what in the freak?! It just all seems pointless now.

Now some constructive feedback (after soapbox rant . . . sorry).

1. Enmasse needs to "right-size" the mob levels to character levels. If you're level 20, level 20 mobs should be somewhat easy but be a little careful. Level 21 - 22 mobs should be challenging (have a bottle of red potion or bandages ready), but you can get through it with some skill. Level 23+ mobs should be very challenging and probably require a party. Level 20 bosses should be challenging but doable and maybe require an HP bottle or two. Level 21 bosses should put the hurt on you. Level 22+ bosses should ROFL-stomp you (solo)!!

2. Super-awesome equipment (avatar weapon + crystal-laden armor) should not be so easy to get. This type of equipment should be a part of a major story-line and feel like a great accomplishment to get. As it is, gear is just thrown at you -so much so that when I follow red story line quests (only) and they promise all this really nice equip, I say "whooped-di-doo!!" I've already got better equipment. This only exacerbates the issue in point 1. I love enchanting equipment, but this should be a fun, story-line based undertaking.

3. The game doles out too much XP. Right now I follow only red (main) story line quests. I no longer have any reason to take yellow (secondary) quests. In fact, so much XP is given out that my character out-levels the story pace! I hit level 15 quests and my character is already level 17+ and/or has so much awesome equipment, that I might as well be level 20!! I ROFL-stomp anything in my path, and it's soooo boring. I remember when I played the game a couple years ago that I usually had to take yellow quests to catch my character up to the red quest story line. This seemed about right (maybe a bit too grindy, but better than current iteration!).

4. The game needs new, well written, fun, engaging solo stories like the first one (and like the ones that pull you into a separate channel like protecting the supply train wagon and defending that scientist/sorcerer from the mob attack -sorry, don't remember the names of the quests). This would engage players more and make it seem like you're a part of the story. These points in the story would be great places to give out very nice equipment and make the player feel like he or she accomplished something.

Many, many, MANY years ago, I played Shaiya (is that a curse word here?). The quests were (generally) fun and challenging. In fact, most were so challenging that you almost had to party up with people to get through them. People were engaged with other players, very cooperative (everyone was in the same boat), and willing to help. In fact, I made quite a few "friends" with whom I would party with often and move through the stories together. It was fun and engaging. I'm not saying that is the direction Tera needs to go (most people would probably hate this), but it sure would be more interesting than what we have now.

Now, you could say "don't play if you don't like it". Here's the thing: Tera is SOOO beautiful and has SOOO much going for it. It CAN be a great game, and I want it to be! Enmasse simply needs to find the right balance. It may take a lot of work, but I think it would be worth it.

Thanks!
  • MinazukiMinazuki ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Tera is easy since 2012 release = =
    The only hard thing is find a group that know WTH they doing to do end game dungeon lol

What they nerf is health and damage while buff players gear.
    Tera is 2011 old game... old game often nerf the leveling part to get more player to try out end game.

But... I really wish there a game company willing make a game that leveling is as hard/fun as end game.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I think I've said it somewhere around this thread, and numerous times outside of it.

This game needs to have a meaningful level up game. In MY opinion, such thing can be achieved by a streamlined story, without so many NPCs to visit. The current 1-20 story and the 60-65 areas are very efficient. If only the rest of the level up game can be like that.

Harder level up enemies and meaningful dungeons. Ok. I get it, casuals are more numerous than other kind of player now in the gaming industry, but I believe even casuals would get bored of one shot-ing enemies. Avatar weapons and the overall nerfing of certain aspects of level up pve have achieved that ease. But, the level up game was rendered so useless in that regard that it created the mentality that this game "starts at level 65", and that's something no game should aspire to. So by adding a streamlined experience, we could also add meaningful enemies and dungeons. See, I really liked the progression from 60 to 65 because enemies didn't die in one shot. Easy, yes, but not one shot, so the difficulty is right for even the most casual of casuals. Because no matter our own level of skill, we must always remember that the devs want that a game be accessible for gamers of various skill levels, including much lower than you.

Dungeons fall on the same boat. The only semi meaningful dungeons in the level up game are Sabex and Macelarious, and level 65s can queue into them because of glyphs so depending on who you play with they can be either snorefests or an actual challenge. Another dungeon I found surprisingly meaningful, though still on the easy side, was Golden Labyrinth. I saw more people die there to mechanics and boss damage than in KC, CW and ABNM combined. I think that one easy way to up the meaning of level up dungeons is to upgrade mob and boss defenses to accommodate avatar weapons. People who go to fr example, BoL, still go with more or less the same blue and green armor from tera's first days, so in that regard, all the dungeons need is improved defenses. Lastly, end game 2 star dungeons could be a little harder too. ABNM is the biggest offender here, being easier than many level up dungeons. KC isn't that bad but could be a bit more fierce here and there. And CW is more of a boring dps check.

I say this because things really spike up on DFNM. Yes, those who are super pros at playing will tell me that DFNM is faceroll easy, but bear with me, I'm talking about casuals here trying(hopefully) to get better at the game, and I doubt many would disagree with me in that the difficulty does spike GREATLY when coming from stuff like ABNM. So not wanting DFNM to be nerfed, the only other alternative is to make whatever comes before it harder to prepare people to learn their class and game mechanics.

Anyway. TL;DR: Make the whole level up game as efficient and with a similar difficulty to the current 60-65 progress. And starter end game a bit more difficult to prepare new players for higher tier end game better.

And yeah. This might have been a necro, but I feel it's a relevant enough issue.
  • i'll add to this thread i guess. i feel as tho that the actual game of tera is at 65. having max leveled a zerker & reaper & brawler & priest & ninja (at launch in 16 hours straight would of been shorter without server outages) and i've only been playing since February. if its taking you a while to level or gear urself i just plainly think you are approaching something incorrectly and doing it wrong. this opinion is very harsh, mainly because i have VERY little patience for lollygagging types. if i CARED about the play styles of the other classes (i'm working on a gunner right now) i prob could max those too.

whats the most annoying thing to see in a 65 dungeon when you queue? for me its a priest who has no idea how to priest. because of the popularity of power leveling, and well, the way the storyline works, most classes dont actually get trained in how to play the correct way during their adventure to endgame.

i TRY my hardest being nice and helpful to new 65s... but my patience only goes too far. it might be easy to level but all those levels that you just went thru really never did anything to teach you. maybe when the game launched all those levels were meaningful, but now its just a barrier of some sort to SLIGHTLY filter out people who maybe just shouldn't be at max level... but then i had this issue when i played counter strike global offensive. people play interactive entertainment (video games) for different reasons. some want to relax. some are VERY competitive. when you mix these two you end up getting an emulsion, and its not a tasty one.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    navjack27 wrote: »
    i'll add to this thread i guess. i feel as tho that the actual game of tera is at 65. having max leveled a zerker & reaper & brawler & priest & ninja (at launch in 16 hours straight would of been shorter without server outages) and i've only been playing since February. if its taking you a while to level or gear urself i just plainly think you are approaching something incorrectly and doing it wrong. this opinion is very harsh, mainly because i have VERY little patience for lollygagging types. if i CARED about the play styles of the other classes (i'm working on a gunner right now) i prob could max those too.

whats the most annoying thing to see in a 65 dungeon when you queue? for me its a priest who has no idea how to priest. because of the popularity of power leveling, and well, the way the storyline works, most classes dont actually get trained in how to play the correct way during their adventure to endgame.

i TRY my hardest being nice and helpful to new 65s... but my patience only goes too far. it might be easy to level but all those levels that you just went thru really never did anything to teach you. maybe when the game launched all those levels were meaningful, but now its just a barrier of some sort to SLIGHTLY filter out people who maybe just shouldn't be at max level... but then i had this issue when i played counter strike global offensive. people play interactive entertainment (video games) for different reasons. some want to relax. some are VERY competitive. when you mix these two you end up getting an emulsion, and its not a tasty one.

Back then, leveling was long and tedious, but aside from some dungeons that gave more headaches than promoting teamwork and all the bams people wanted others to fight for them(I fought quite a bunch for others while seriously undergeared myself. >.<), people weren't too forced to learn their class other than how to grind with it. There were no big dps checks back then. Not many shield phases(or none at all?). Only stuff to dodge or block. And I mean when Labyrinth of Terror and Ebon Tower were "end game". This proves that just more time consuming and harder doesn't really mean that players will learn everything.

THOUGH, people reached end game with a bit more sense about their classes than now. Many entered end game knowing that the red flash on a boss' eye meant hurt, so they did their best to avoid it. That puddles were bad for their health, and that common mobs in large numbers could overwhelm by zerg's law. And I really met very few who would say the game was hard. Most agreed that it was grindy, but not Nintendo Hard. And people enjoyed themselves, and all dungeons, from BoL and up, had their share of fun.
  • I didn't realize the game had been designed to accommodate a "Level 65 end game experience" or whatever. It's a shame because the game really does have so much to offer for casual gamers like me who like to pop on for an hour or so in the evening to relax and have some fun with engaging story lines and a pseudo challenge. Hmm, maybe I need to find another MMORPG . . .
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinastria wrote: »
    I think they just took the power creep thing on new stuff to glue players to the game too seriously.

It's fine to have new classes a bit stronger than previous ones for a while, and then nerf them a little, but bhs just make super good new classes and don't nerf them later.

I mean, if i play my sorceress is fun and actually challenging, but when i pick up my brawler games looks way easier. And ninja looks way more powerful than brawl.

By the way i keep leveling stuff spamming IM, i play with people and have more fun.

THIS. Ninja has so many evasives that it amazes me when anyone dies on one. They make every dungeon easy because they have, like, five iframes. Then I switch to zerk and I have two, but they share a cooldown so practically speaking I have one. One iframe, in a patch where all the dangerous mechanics are unblockable. Or I'll go on my priest and I just have backstep, which has such a short iframe that sometimes I still die even when my timing seems perfect. I can't stand it when ninjas call dungeons easy. Anything is easy when you're playing a mickey mouse class. When you play ninja, you are playing the game on easy mode.

BHS really needs to do something about this. You can't just release a class full of iframes in the same patch where dungeons have nothing but iframe mechanics and expect anyone but those classes to truly excel at it. The only classes I see new people making nowadays are ninjas and occasionally reapers, because they have such a [filtered]-easy time avoiding everything. I never see sorcs, or zerks, or slayers, or archers, or hell even warriors. It's just ninjas, and occasionally reapers, and then maybe there'll be a lancer tanking and always a mystic healing since priests got shafted in this patch as well.

Honestly I'd say fix your class balance before worrying about how easy the game might be to some people.
  • I'd love for leveling dungeons to be harder, also you level up way too fast now. If they halved the experience gain once you hit 20 and can do dungeons then there would be 3 choices: do quests, run dungeons, do a mix of both.

Gaining FOUR levels in 1 run of the first dungeons is waaay too much (no elite) , and if you have elite it's even faster. Speaking of which, let elite players turn off their experience boost if they want. getting a third to half your exp bar per run of a dungeon is still meaningful but not too fast. It also give you time to try and get the gear from the dungeon aka new armour.

Also who at bhs decided autorolling everything even for low level dungeons was a good idea (BoP items aside)? Yes rolling on loot takes time but autorolling on it is not the solution. I've seen one person win all 3 cloth chests that way (granted nothing to stop them from rolling all 3 but they clearly do not NEED all 3)
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    Also who at bhs decided autorolling everything even for low level dungeons was a good idea (BoP items aside)? Yes rolling on loot takes time but autorolling on it is not the solution. I've seen one person win all 3 cloth chests that way (granted nothing to stop them from rolling all 3 but they clearly do not NEED all 3)

I don't have an issue with this personally. While I find myself sometimes at Golden Labyrinth with lvl 10-20 accessories or something it doesn't hinder me at all in there. I'm sort of glad I don't have to wait 5 minutes rolling for gear, because new people are so lazy when rolling sometimes.
  • I'd love for leveling dungeons to be harder, also you level up way too fast now. If they halved the experience gain once you hit 20 and can do dungeons then there would be 3 choices: do quests, run dungeons, do a mix of both.

Gaining FOUR levels in 1 run of the first dungeons is waaay too much (no elite) , and if you have elite it's even faster. Speaking of which, let elite players turn off their experience boost if they want. getting a third to half your exp bar per run of a dungeon is still meaningful but not too fast. It also give you time to try and get the gear from the dungeon aka new armour.

Precisely, FaerieStorm.