There will be no TERA maintenance on 8/22. Maintenance will take place on Wednesday, 8/23.

Best tanks at the moment?

I haven't played since the first few months of the launch a tera and deciding to get back up. My character is a Lancer, from what I have seen there are other tanks now and I was wondering how well is the lancer now compared to the others? Would I be able to pick it back up and continue on or would I need to start my character over?

Best Answer

• admonituadmonitu ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Best at what?

I will compare lancer and brawler since they are primarily used as tanks.

In terms of survival, I would say lancer. Lancer's backstep with no cooldown allows them to avoid potential 1-shot attacks that boss may throw in succession

In terms of personal DPS, brawler beats lancer. Lancers with good gear can do decent damage, but the best brawler will always do more damage than lancer.

In terms of mob control, brawler beats lancer. Easily.

Now, the most important question is whether lancer or brawler contributes more to the party. Can brawlers make up for the lack of party buffs with their own personal DPS? Or does lancer's party buff make up for lancer's relatively low DPS? I think this depends on a number of factors.
    1. Brawler's ability to keep Growing Fury and this depends on the type of boss as well
    2. Are the DPS in lancer's party actually skilled and experienced enough to take advantage of lancer's Adrenaline Rush and Guardian Shout when they are up? Do they even know when the AD and GS are up so they pop their own buffs and burn the boss?
    3. Is the lancer correctly timing Adrenaline Rush/Guardian Shout? Is he/she using AD/GS when the boss is enraged for maximum DPS?

I have no data, but I would say that on average good brawler's high DPS makes up for the lack of party buffs. Lancer's AD/GS have rather long cooldown.
    If the fight is short because of the high party DPS, then lancer can use AD/GS only once or twice (The boss will be dead after that).
    If the fight last long enough that lancer can use AD/GS 4+ times, the party DPS is too low to take advantage of AD/GS anyways.

Many DPS have dps meter and they like to see high personal DPS, so many of them prefer lancer over brawler.

Hope this helped.

Answers

• ophis1ophis1
    edited February 10
    Probably should of been clearer,sorry about that. I haven't played in a while so I don't even know if my class is the same as it was in the beginning(stack aggro crystals make sure to keep enough mana to block.etc). Was wondering if the class is any better in terms of group utility and and overall success of the run compared to the other tanks.

The second question is would it be possible for me to just jump back into the game on my lancer(think it was in the last 30s early 40s).
  • admonituadmonitu ✭✭✭
    You can jump back into the game on your lancer. Lancer is a good class. You no longer have to stack aggro crystals because you can only equip one aggro crystal. Make sure you stack DPS crystals and stats. Your aggro will come from your DPS now.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lancer is superior in every way possible anyways, so don't worry about that. You only use 1 threatening crystal on your weapon if you need to, otherwise just pretend you're a dps that sits in the front and block attacks that can be blocked, otherwise iframe or move out like dps do since not all attacks can be blocked.
  • Yamazuki wrote: »
    Lancer is superior in every way possible anyways, so don't worry about that. You only use 1 threatening crystal on your weapon if you need to, otherwise just pretend you're a dps that sits in the front and block attacks that can be blocked, otherwise iframe or move out like dps do since not all attacks can be blocked.

I agree completely, I've only ever experienced horrid tanking from bad Brawlers. I admit, if you're good at the class, then you will more likely succeed as a Brawler, BUT I don't see many geared nor skillful ones nowadays sadly. But I admit Lancers outshine Brawlers in most instances.
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    ophis1 wrote: »
    I haven't played since the first few months of the launch a tera and deciding to get back up. My character is a Lancer, from what I have seen there are other tanks now and I was wondering how well is the lancer now compared to the others? Would I be able to pick it back up and continue on or would I need to start my character over?

I have a lancer. I find it to be a good class. Not all players will have the same playing style and hand coordination on a keyboard. I myself prefer a lancer over the brawler any day. For me its a lot easier to play with.

I've taken advice from other players to switch out crit power. for Attack and crit factor atleast. I've noticed a significant change. Plus the skills the lancer has is more manageable IF you are not in a tremendous hurry.
  • admonituadmonitu ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how you started out with crit power. Multiple tests proved that crit power is not as useful as power/crit factor way back in WHHM days. I would look up a guide on lancer before you roll stats on your gear since changing stats costs a lot of gold in this game.

If you are rich and want to do your own tests, kudos to you.
  • TipanniTipanni
    edited February 11
    Lancers are usually prefered because they position the boss better for the dps team to fight, brawlers have to fight non-stop to keep their glowing furry while lancers will usually re-positon themself when the boss turns around instead of waiting 3-5 secs and waiting for boss to turn back to them.
  • Overall Brawler

You'll run into more gud brawlers than lancers on TR so that says sumtin
    How I judge a class is based on the whole package and what the avg Joe can relate to

Not the 1% b/c using standards like that is idiotic

I can't use Brawler for [filtered], but the overall consensus is that they are easier/ RMHM and HH are not the only dungeons in game.
  • ophis1 wrote: »
    Probably should of been clearer,sorry about that. I haven't played in a while so I don't even know if my class is the same as it was in the beginning(stack aggro crystals make sure to keep enough mana to block.etc). Was wondering if the class is any better in terms of group utility and and overall success of the run compared to the other tanks.

The second question is would it be possible for me to just jump back into the game on my lancer(think it was in the last 30s early 40s).

Now this is just my personal opinion, but I took about a year away from TERA and things were a little overwhelming when I came back. What I did was roll a new character of my main class and level them to 65 (or close enough). It helped me to re-familiarize myself with all the skills/rotations/etc so that when I jumped back on my geared character it was less to take in all at once.

YMMV.

• Lancer is the best tank class. Zerk tank was only made to counter the release of gunners and massive flow of DPS in queue and offer nothing to their party. Brawler brings nothing but DPS to a fight, so calling them a tank, especially when they needed to change the aggro system of the game to make them viable, is a misinterpretation. Warrior tank is an overstatement, at one point they thought an evasion tank was pretty cool and then realized it [filtered] up the DPS to have the guy holding aggro constantly jumping around and moving/turning the boss, so they gave them a block. Unfortunately, they're in leather armor and are a DPS class so they're not meant to be a tank just because they have a tanking stance (Similar to the Berserker).

Want to tank but also support your party with decent DPS and strong party buffs? Play Lancer.
    Want to tank but also contribute nothing but high DPS by rolling your face on the keyboard? Play Brawler.
    Want to tank but also do little DPS and hold aggro sometimes? Play Berserker (Intimidation stance).
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭
    Gaalrak wrote: »
    Lancer is the best tank class. Zerk tank was only made to counter the release of gunners and massive flow of DPS in queue and offer nothing to their party. Brawler brings nothing but DPS to a fight, so calling them a tank, especially when they needed to change the aggro system of the game to make them viable, is a misinterpretation. Warrior tank is an overstatement, at one point they thought an evasion tank was pretty cool and then realized it [filtered] up the DPS to have the guy holding aggro constantly jumping around and moving/turning the boss, so they gave them a block. Unfortunately, they're in leather armor and are a DPS class so they're not meant to be a tank just because they have a tanking stance (Similar to the Berserker).

Want to tank but also support your party with decent DPS and strong party buffs? Play Lancer.
    Want to tank but also contribute nothing but high DPS by rolling your face on the keyboard? Play Brawler.
    Want to tank but also do little DPS and hold aggro sometimes? Play Berserker (Intimidation stance).

but brawler was able to stole aggro from lancer and shine like a supernova and sent all the lancers in the side line B)
  • AyiAyi ✭✭✭
    vkobe wrote: »
    Lancer is the best tank class. Zerk tank was only made to counter the release of gunners and massive flow of DPS in queue and offer nothing to their party. Brawler brings nothing but DPS to a fight, so calling them a tank, especially when they needed to change the aggro system of the game to make them viable, is a misinterpretation. Warrior tank is an overstatement, at one point they thought an evasion tank was pretty cool and then realized it [filtered] up the DPS to have the guy holding aggro constantly jumping around and moving/turning the boss, so they gave them a block. Unfortunately, they're in leather armor and are a DPS class so they're not meant to be a tank just because they have a tanking stance (Similar to the Berserker).

but brawler was able to stole aggro from lancer and shine like a supernova and sent all the lancers in the side line B)
    Really? I remember tanking on my lancer for brawlers to get their back crit DPS all the time. :^)
  • Note that ping is very important factor too. Lancers are better with lower ping while brawlers are more friendly to higher ping as well. Best tank depends on what u want. As both lancer and brawler u won't have trouble getting into parties. Specially if ur good ppl will look for u. If u want score runs then lancer for sure. It's exactly like admonitu said. Also lancer has more endurance overall and higher survival rate. Note that brawlers are able to carry DPS a party on most dungeons and bosses while Lancers are stuck with the DPS level of their derp party members. I'm not talking about the top Lancers that ofc can pull insane numbers too but those are like 1%.
    War tanks will be over fast once the FOTM dies out. And most only play DPS anyway tanking is just when they don't find tank. Zerk tanks are a myth. They offer nothing but a body to get hit.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    vkobe wrote: »

It's impossible for a Brawler of equal skill and gear to take aggro from a Lancer without using shout or a death. Even before their damage nerfs all the high damage Brawlers played as a dps, and not a tank with a Lancer tanking.