[PC] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 12/10 at 8am PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance

Paragon -> Valkyrie Wins [Updated]

1101113151629

Comments

  • WitchyGirlWitchyGirl ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    nevermind .....
  • This is silly.
  • MorganPhoenixMorganPhoenix ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    KnightFalz wrote: »
    Valkyrie have no relation to high elves in mythology whatsoever.

    From an aesthetic sense, Valkyries and High Elves are extremely related when you transpose Norse mythology onto the mythology of Tera (which is what you are doing by suggesting this name is appropriate).

    Both Valkyrie and High Elves are "light-type" white warriors with shining armor and advanced "tech" (i.e. flying horses) who live in heavenly regal splendor (Asgard in Norse mythology). Castanics on the other hand are archetypal dark elves who live next to a volcano (Muspell, a fiery layer of hades, in Norse Mythology).

    So Castanics are the polar opposite of Valkyries in terms of their visual aesthetics and thematic identity.

    That's why Valkyrie is not a good choice.

    KnightFalz wrote: »
    Spears are a polearm. They are a pole.... with a blade on the end. That is the very essence of a polearm.

    If we are going to define things strictly, then what this new proposed class has is a glaive (cutting weapon). Valkyries are almost always depicted historically with spears (stabbing weapon) or swords. Not glaives.
  • You people are scary posting so many weapons I'll just pretend my new class is a cute and harmless Papori
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    KnightFalz wrote: »
    Valkyrie have no relation to high elves in mythology whatsoever.

    From an aesthetic sense, Valkyries and High Elves are extremely related when you transpose Norse mythology onto the mythology of Tera (which is what you are doing by suggesting this name is appropriate).

    Both Valkyrie and High Elves are "light-type" white warriors with shining armor and advanced "tech" (i.e. flying horses) who live in heavenly regal splendor (Asgard in Norse mythology). Castanics on the other hand are archetypal dark elves who live next to a volcano (Muspell, a fiery layer of hades, in Norse Mythology).

    So Castanics are the polar opposite of Valkyries in terms of their visual aesthetics and thematic identity.

    That's why Valkyrie is not a good choice.

    KnightFalz wrote: »
    Spears are a polearm. They are a pole.... with a blade on the end. That is the very essence of a polearm.

    If we are going to define things strictly, then what this new proposed class has is a glaive (cutting weapon). Valkyries are almost always depicted historically with spears (stabbing weapon) or swords. Not glaives.

    Since you wish to bring that up. Here is an image of historically accurate designs from image descriptions of Elven Weaponry.
    elven_weapons___silmarillion_by_atohas-d5hbyl4.jpg
    Elven weapons always had a slight elegance to them although, the design pales in comparison to Asian weaponry of fiction designs. The Elven Polearm would most closely relate to the Naginata or Guandao.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm not saying you are wrong. However let's be more accurate shall we?

    You are not being more accurate, simply more specific.

    However, that specificity wouldn't necessarily be helpful if extended to the class name. In particular, there will be a variety of skins for her weapon, and the history of the game shows it is not atypical for some skins to differ from those normally used by a class.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    WitchyGirl wrote: »
    dont know if anyone has said this yet, but how about the name "BLADEDANCER"
    :)

    To bad she doesn't sing while she attacks. Then I would say Bladesinger

    spellsinger :3
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    KnightFalz wrote: »
    I'm not saying you are wrong. However let's be more accurate shall we?

    You are not being more accurate, simply more specific.

    However, that specificity wouldn't necessarily be helpful if extended to the class name. In particular, there will be a variety of skins for her weapon, and the history of the game shows it is not atypical for some skins to differ from those normally used by a class.

    Yes skins will very. Even more so the design of the weapon itself is not necessarily a rule extended to decide on what a class should be called. However, If we are to be looking at such technicalities. The weapon design elements have a more favorable crescent design to them. As we can obviously see. Which still shows similarity to the design of real world accuracy which still proves it is not a glaive. So yes I am being more accurate in reality.

    If we are going to extend the weapon to the reason for the class name the by obvious design it would be Moondancer. Weapon Designs. Skill names used. KTera's translation of them anyway. Thanks for Idi0ticGenius for providing that information.

    What I am pointing out to you and trying to get you to see is that "it's not a glaive." The design is not a glaive. Nor does it resemble one.
  • MorganPhoenixMorganPhoenix ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The Elven Polearm would most closely relate to the Naginata or Guandao.
    Some neat drawings I found:
    aa72072a69dc1c287767afd43979efa4.jpg
    34bb3f91cce03e707eeb9182f695b7a6.jpg

    Glaive, Guandao or Naginata are all the most accurate terms for this class's weapon I think. I prefer glaive because it's short and sweet and is the closest original English/Latin word for this type of weapon.
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    vkobe wrote: »
    WitchyGirl wrote: »
    dont know if anyone has said this yet, but how about the name "BLADEDANCER"
    :)

    To bad she doesn't sing while she attacks. Then I would say Bladesinger

    spellsinger :3

    That would be nice if she cast spells and the blade itself could sing.
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    The Elven Polearm would most closely relate to the Naginata or Guandao.
    Some neat drawings I found:
    aa72072a69dc1c287767afd43979efa4.jpg
    34bb3f91cce03e707eeb9182f695b7a6.jpg

    Now see I like that different designs of "pole-arms" with their design name. I tried to find one. And it's more accurate to real history. From which all fiction is derived for its weapons.
  • I already have the true Moondancer glaivedancer Paragon or whataver you wanna call it in action . Exclusive news
    pizap_com14884349115451.jpg
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    natia wrote: »
    idk man... this was one of the images that came up after a quick google search of 'paragon'

    1632918-mens-sandals-colour-beige-brown-paragon.jpg

    That looks uncomfy as hell too O.o
  • What I am pointing out to you and trying to get you to see is that "it's not a glaive." The design is not a glaive. Nor does it resemble one.

    I was trying to figure out what you were going on about here, as I was focusing on my point that any pole with a blade on it was a polearm. Then I looked back and saw that I said Glaiver would work as well as Gunner, so this is more the issue you were more addressing it seems.

    Well, it doesn't really matter within the game, as it is going to be referred to as glaive despite that, so Glaiver would work as a functional title for the class. That this isn't precisely accurate probably isn't going to be a huge concern to many that play, certainly not to the extent it would be if Tera was a historical simulation of ancient warfare or some such.

    Interesting and abundant info though. I shall consider myself booked openly.
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    KnightFalz wrote: »
    What I am pointing out to you and trying to get you to see is that "it's not a glaive." The design is not a glaive. Nor does it resemble one.

    I was trying to figure out what you were going on about here, as I was focusing on my point that any pole with a blade on it was a polearm. Then I looked back and saw that I said Glaiver would work as well as Gunner, so this is more the issue you were more addressing it seems.

    Well, it doesn't really matter within the game, as it is going to be referred to as glaive despite that, so Glaiver would work as a functional title for the class. That this isn't precisely accurate probably isn't going to be a huge concern to many that play, certainly not to the extent it would be if Tera was a historical simulation of ancient warfare or some such.

    Interesting and abundant info though. I shall consider myself booked openly.

    And how do you know it's going to be referred to as a Gliave? I"m just saying it would be inaccurate to be calling it that. Especially when the design is not a glaive at all. In your opinion it would be a functioning title. However the facts of everything being layed out at present dictates that it would not be a functioning title. Glaiver is a European title. It does not fit.
This discussion has been closed.