[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

If a new healer class was made, what unique skills that will set it apart...

124»

Comments

• I want to see the self sacrifice skill, first you use a skill to revive your self after you die and when you self sacrifice you resurrect and fully heal all party members. Also a new heal system, no more lock heals cause very few ppl think of positioning themselves for healers easy lock.
  • apparently this is a waste of time discussion as theres not gonna be any new healer
  • one that's a tank (or something like) connected to a god. the connection would disipate was damage from melee )or something like) skill of "sweat hut" to restore connection to god. crafting herbs and minerals to make potions. I like it. Reminds me of Native Americans. Yea baby!
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meliriel wrote: »
    How about an alchemist? Something fast like a ninja but a healer. Throws potions at short range. The range and speed make it different from the other two healers.

A variety of potions like healing, regen, short duration buffs, debuffs, sleep and that sort of things. Small aoe.

sounds a whole lot like..... mystic and their motes and totem
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheDarkWan wrote: »
    I want to see the self sacrifice skill, first you use a skill to revive your self after you die and when you self sacrifice you resurrect and fully heal all party members. Also a new heal system, no more lock heals cause very few ppl think of positioning themselves for healers easy lock.

Why not just a full heal/res for the party? Cut out the middle man. I mean, you're suggesting a full party heal at no cost (since you'd first use a skill to auto revive).
  • a healer who utilized aoe bomb with healing effects.
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭
    Rather than a new healer class, I'd love to see HoTs buffed up a bit. RC for priest is next to useless with how little it heals - after patch upon patch of damage creep, I no longer use it regularly. I pretty much only use it if everything's on CD and I literally have nothing to do because no one's taking substantial damage. It would be nice to see it heal a useful amount.

Same with Warding Totem for mystic. That HoT is better, but it's still lackluster when compared to incoming damage. The skill's still good, but it could be better.

I don't think they could add a new healer without unbalancing our current ones. They've already had to buff or nerf healers endlessly over the years, and now they've got a semblance of balance. Given BHS' history with shiny new classes, there's absolutely no chance that they'd be able to release a healer that didn't make priest and mystic useless.
  • SaphirKanzakiSaphirKanzaki ✭✭✭✭
    Priestess main here. I also think that we don't need a third generic healer.

I was also playing a WoW Paladin and in my opinion, Tera should not go down that hybrid route.

Instead, the "healer" could be a support class that allows to combine with a full healer (mystic, priest) or run/heal solo with experienced players. This would basically be like a zerker tank. You can use zerker tanks alone if the player is good.

So, this new class would look like e.g. a bard. Playing songs makes Prima run away (because no one offtanks Prima). Or turn her into a sheep ("Don't touch my sheep!!" *good old WoW times). The class would have e.g. a skill to reset the iframe CD of the group. Or transfer HP from one member to another/have a skill where all group members take a fifth of all incoming damage. Have aggro management - e.g. a skill that directs 30s all generated aggro to the tank. Or a skill that stops the annoying turning of the boss (yeah, I know we're not in the tank'n'spank era anymore).
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    What will set it different?

It will be substantially op to the point where priests and mystics are neglected and healer queues will take forever because of the lack of DPS running it.
  • sshadessshades
    edited April 2017
    TERA has a party system built around 5 members where each party needs (at least) one healer. That means that for optimal party creation queues, about 1 out of 5 characters should be a healer. Some classes are more popular than others, but making 1 out of 5 classes a healer makes sense. Currently 2/13 classes are healers which is less than 1/5, so there is certainly room for another healing class.

TERA handled this on tank classes by making two "dedicated" tanks (Brawler and Lancer) and one hybrid Tank/DPS that can swap roles (Warrior). A similar option could work on healers. Note that they could even turn Mystic into the hybrid: nerf their base healing ability and then make them choose between two mutually exclusive summons with two sets of buffs tied to them (or some of the main healing skills could even be grayed out unless the appropriate summon skill is used). Mystic might then work as an off-heal + DPS option *OR* as a pure-heal option. But not both at the same time. That adds flexibility to party creation since one character could fill two roles but not both at the same time.

Common heal types (that I've seen in other games) that don't exist in TERA:
    (1) HOT based. Healing is less twitchy and more strategical. You have to make sure that you're keeping up the stack of several HOTs because if you fall behind your healing is reduced for a significant period of time until you are able to catch up. However, it would allow low ping players to be proficient healers because even if you don't manage to get a heal out within a second, the HOTs will take care of the damage.
    (2) Battle Mage. Melee physical damage with an arsenal of self-buffs for damage and defense. Heals that tend to be instant and usable during combat. Generally very few targeted heals. I've seen something like the Slayer's mechanic where casting heals requires building up your MP pool (or "rage" in some games) by dealing out damage.
    (3) Something more defensive. This might be a Paladin-like hybrid, but I've also seen pure priest classes with a highly defensive wand and shield setup.

I've seen other healing types out there, but many seem very gimmicky. Like a Chemist/Physician class with an odd Poison DoT + magic summoner + mobility + healing skillset.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    sshades wrote: »
    TERA has a party system built around 5 members where each party needs (at least) one healer. That means that for optimal party creation queues, about 1 out of 5 characters should be a healer. Some classes are more popular than others, but making 1 out of 5 classes a healer makes sense. Currently 2/13 classes are healers which is less than 1/5, so there is certainly room for another healing class.

TERA handled this on tank classes by making two "dedicated" tanks (Brawler and Lancer) and one hybrid Tank/DPS that can swap roles (Warrior). A similar option could work on healers. Note that they could even turn Mystic into the hybrid: nerf their base healing ability and then make them choose between two mutually exclusive summons with two sets of buffs tied to them (or some of the main healing skills could even be grayed out unless the appropriate summon skill is used). Mystic might then work as an off-heal + DPS option *OR* as a pure-heal option. But not both at the same time. That adds flexibility to party creation since one character could fill two roles but not both at the same time.

(1) HOT based. Healing is less twitchy and more strategical. You have to make sure that you're keeping up the stack of several HOTs because if you fall behind your healing is reduced for a significant period of time until you are able to catch up. However, it would allow low ping players to be proficient healers because even if you don't manage to get a heal out within a second, the HOTs will take care of the damage.
    (2) Battle Mage. Melee physical damage with an arsenal of self-buffs for damage and defense. Heals that tend to be instant and usable during combat. Generally very few targeted heals. I've seen something like the Slayer's mechanic where casting heals requires building up your MP pool (or "rage" in some games) by dealing out damage.
    (3) Something more defensive. This might be a Paladin-like hybrid, but I've also seen pure priest classes with a highly defensive wand and shield setup.

I've seen other healing types out there, but many seem very gimmicky. Like a Chemist/Physician class with an odd Poison DoT + magic summoner + mobility + healing skillset.
    Warrior isn't a hyrbid. They are either a dps, or they are a tank. Other than a single ability, dps Warriors can not block, and are squishier than a Warrior dedicated to tanking. Any healer that can dps would have to lose their ability to heal, cleanse, buff, and debuff entirely just like how a dps Warrior loses their ability to actually tank as a dps; which would defeat the purpose of others justifying the idea of a dps that can cleanse and heal "a little".
  • SaphirKanzakiSaphirKanzaki ✭✭✭✭
    I've once written a healing guide in WoW and you can't get very far with HoTs. Every MMO has hard-hitters or mechanics alike. This is what makes healing interesting at all. No MMO would get far with healing shamans who put down their totems and spam chain-healing.

If we look at our past classes, BHS showed a lot of work, being put into. The Valkyrie has moon points, the warrior has edge points, the brawler builds up rage, the gunner also collects willpower and so on.
    lGC5dkb.jpg
  • Yamazuki wrote: »

Warrior isn't a hyrbid. They are either a dps, or they are a tank. Other than a single ability, dps Warriors can not block, and are squishier than a Warrior dedicated to tanking. Any healer that can dps would have to lose their ability to heal, cleanse, buff, and debuff entirely just like how a dps Warrior loses their ability to actually tank as a dps; which would defeat the purpose of others justifying the idea of a dps that can cleanse and heal "a little".

Warrior is literally the definition of a hybrid. You can run as either a DPS or a tank. Not both.

If Mystic had a similar hybrid setup, it might have: (1) DPS build with a 1 or 2 target heal plus motes ONLY; combined with some sort of buff to their damage (similar to what Warrior gets in assault stance), boomerang heal/attack converted to a boosted pure attack skill (no heal component), and possibly one more high damage ranged attack to boost their DPS; (2) healing skills the same as now with perhaps even lower damage than in their current setup (for example, boomerang heal/attack converted to heal only with no damage component). They'd never be able to heal a party in their DPS build, but they also wouldn't have to have their DPS boosted all the way up to 3+ million to be viable because parties would still take them in addition to a Priest for the additional support/buffs/off-healing.

If you think about it, a lot of parties go dual healer, and something like this might be really popular.

@HOT comments

The example I thought of was a Runes of Magic class that if I remember correctly had 3 main single target HOT spells plus one large AOE HOT. One of the 3 HOTs had the ability to be triple-stacked. There was also a regular heal spell for emergencies. However, with that many stacks, it was along the lines of getting a full heal every few seconds or so. The problem was that obviously it takes some time to stack that many spells, so it could never be allowed to lapse. I doubt the class works the same way it used to.

My understanding is that at various points in their history both WoW and FF have had viable HOT-based healers as well.
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭

@HOT comments

The example I thought of was a Runes of Magic class that if I remember correctly had 3 main single target HOT spells plus one large AOE HOT. One of the 3 HOTs had the ability to be triple-stacked. There was also a regular heal spell for emergencies. However, with that many stacks, it was along the lines of getting a full heal every few seconds or so. The problem was that obviously it takes some time to stack that many spells, so it could never be allowed to lapse. I doubt the class works the same way it used to.

I mained that class in RoM. It was incredibly fun to heal mostly through HoTs, and there was a bulk heal for aoe healing that you could toss out. Wasn't as strong as the other healer's AoE heals, since they had bulk heals, not HoTs, but it was a nice mix.

There was another game that flopped called Prius Online. There was a class called the Oracle there, and it played very similarly to Druid from RoM. I loved both classes, and tried mystic first when I came here in the hopes that the "HoT" healer I'd heard about was similar, but it wasn't at all. I miss that playstyle a lot.

RIFT also successfully has at least one HoT healer (and one not-so-successful HoT healer that wasn't viable). People seem to prefer bulk heal classes in a lot of games, but I've always had a soft spot for HoT healing. I'd love to be able to go back to that with this game, but I don't trust BHS to not make a new healer ridiculously unbalanced...like every new class has been.
  • Not a "healer" but a support class that put a Debuff on Boss/monsters, every player who hit the boss will be healed for % of the damage.