[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Regarding the Lag

Hey guys, I know this is a done and dusted topic here on the TERA forums: What is EME doing about the server lag? I know I know. We all know the servers are laggy. But stop and think about that for a second. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but maybe we're being too lenient with EME about what they're doing with lag. In my opinion, lag shouldn't be something you expect every time you log in to play the game. And it's been here for a long time, although it's more prevalent and noticeable now with the Valkyrie release patch upon us. Ridiculous delays from hundreds of players. I'll attach a clip here that a player made in a Harrowhold phase 2 (ballista phase) that really illustrates the play-ability (or lack thereof) of this game in it's current state.

I think this clip clearly demonstrates the amount of lag we were experiencing lately. I know many of you can attest to this. Should it be this way? Should we have to resign ourselves to saying "I hope it's not TOO laggy to play today,"? Now, granted, I'm sure EME have their hands full with all the support tickets and patch releases and localization and so forth, however, we're coming up on another large event just next weekend. And I'm sure all of you who've taken part in an event like this, the triple drop and dungeon jackpot events, will groan to yourselves and hope that it just won't lag too much, that the lag will be tolerable and allow you to farm and to take advantage of the rewards. Is that enough though? Rumors abound that some servers are laggier than others, as well, and is it because of population? Is it because of hardware differences? We just don't know, because we aren't privy to that information. I think it's time that we get some transparency from EME about what is being done about the lag, not the generic response to posts asking us what server we're on, where we're playing from, if anyone else was lagging during that time. Because maybe that's a good set of questions when lag is uncommon, when it's a blip in the system, but on this large of a scale when the entire playerbase is lagging to almost unplayable (or sometimes completely unplayable) levels, I think maybe we need to be asking a different set of questions.

Discuss.

Comments

• canikizucanikizu ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's pretty disheartening to log in day after day, knowing server will be laggy (server side, not client side, since a lot of people got the spikes at same time). Whenever you run dungeons, you hope that you are lucky and play at "downtime" of the lag. With upcoming Double/Triple drop event, you know it's gonna be lag, because historically in TR, there were never an double drop event that wasn't lag.

Sad thing is, this matter has been around since RMNM patch, and it got worse with Valkyrie patch. Why does this have to be the norm, and normal stable server is the rare thing?
  • FaunBaitFaunBait ✭✭✭
    fix the lag please
  • My friend just posted this in our guild discord chat :
  • I usually play with around 25-40 ping: when tanking rmhm last boss on lancer, few times this week I got hit by her swipe because the game didn't want to respond when I tried to iframe. I've had moments where I know I pressed that button! or when trying to chain skills (such as debilitate into spring attack) but debilitate didn't go through! but ah there is just no explanation to this madness. Sometimes I'm expecting the boss to do something and it's like she goes 2 seconds into the future and do something else. I'm like what? Can't even attempt high score runs because of this lag. Carrying runs are even more difficult. Also during the weekend everyone in the harrowhold raid had the same problem of delay, so it's not just one person.

It's definitely frustrating to experience these lag problems on a consistent basis. What bothers me is that why we as players have to always worry about lag, checking our ISP or things like checking Traceroutes to Tera. I say this because when playing a game, any game that is, we should not have to resent to things like this. When most games have issues occur, they take immediate action and even bring down the game if need be and then compensate the players. The question is why the server lag issues have not been addressed or at least some word of communication that this is being looked into? I don't know how much as we as the playerbase have to keep communicating on the forums to have EME to look into or say something about this problem.
  • WhaleWhale wrote: »
    My friend just posted this in our guild discord chat

I totally get that kind of standstill lag too. Normally I'm not killing anything too dangerous though. Haven't died from it yet but it's still a nuisance.
  • OmnomberryOmnomberry ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Raid wiped to P3 laser, Vergos prepares laser, waiting on laser to dodge, everyone dies, see laser finishing on other side.

Same for tanking Lache. See her using 1st right hand, game standstill, next moment I get a frontswipe in my face.

With medium population on HW I cant even finish a Brawler rotation without lag.
    All started with valk patch sigh.

And its not just me, I can hear over Discord that everyone else lagged the same moment.

All in TR
  • As a player who purchased Tera when it first came out and has left and come back several times over the years, what worries me most is the sheer lack of acknowledgment or communication from the dev. team or CM on the matter. Either they really just don't care or they really are that short staffed and haven't gotten through higher priority objectives. As much as I want to believe it's the latter, it's becoming increasingly difficult to have faith when there are so many things falling apart and very little or nothing is being done about any of it. I just reinstalled Tera a week ago, leveled a berserker from 1 - 65, failed miserably with some emp loot boxes (opened 66, no costume) and now have been procrastinating not only whether or not I want to spend any more of my hard earned money within Tera but also if I even want to play at all. Reading forums is so discouraging, there is so much negativity, so many complaints, but the saddest part is that they're almost all justified threads and there's no support being shown for any of it. I submitted a support ticket on April 10th, today is April 17th. My ticket is still pending with no response, is anyone there? Hello?? Yes, I understand you are experiencing higher than normal ticket volumes. I am trying to patient, but there is a point when a person can no longer pretend everything is fine. I truly hope something purposeful and significant changes within the support and developer teams for Tera, it would be such a shame for the game to lose any more valuable players than it has already. And yes, the lag is real, no it's not client side.

I play on Tempest Reach
    I live in British Columbia, Canada
    I experience lag in dungeons and open world
    My network speeds are 150mb/s down, 25mb/s up
    I have no lag in other games such as LoL, BDO, D3, lots more
  • KillstyleKillstyle ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Since Valkyrie launched I've only been able to do one dungeon and that I would consider lucky for me. I won't even attempt dungeons right now cause of the sketchy server lag, dodge not working, stuttering skills, and skills dealing no damage. I hope that the 5th anniversary includes better servers. I would most definitely remember that!
  • AngelineAngeline ✭✭✭
    It's 9:00am EME; you should be in your offices. What are you doing about this lag?
  • I mean we all know the servers are lagging, what we want to know is why, what's being done about it. Some of us pay for a subscription to this game, some of us spend hundreds in the cash shop on costumes, consumables, mounts. I think we deserve to know why the service you're offering us is all but unusable.
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭
    Just came back to the game a few days ago after ~5 months of not playing. The main reason I quit was the lagspikes we were having constantly. My guild tells me it's mostly since Valk now, and was gone for a while, but it's pretty irritating to come back to something that's still a lagfest.

Even more irritating when I'm trying to re-learn mechanics and we end up wiping to really stupid things because my heals won't go off. Or because I rubberband into an aoe that I just dodged out of. When we're not getting massive lagspikes, I'm still spiking from 40 to 150 every few seconds, which makes timing things pretty unstable. I'm dying to or getting hit by things I know the dodge timing of still, like the back of my hand, because the timing keeps shifting from the small spikes. And the big spikes are just RIP.
  • MuggslyMuggsly ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    IronCloud wrote: »

Just for the record because I see this get posted a lot but bandwidth and latency are separate things so your up and down speeds have no bearing on your latency. Latency is the delay that exists for a packet to reach you while your bandwidth is just the size of the pipe entering your home.

Now whether any of these issues are latency issues or if they are more server overload issues remains to be seen since they are affecting everyone equally at the same time in a dungeon.
  • Catorii wrote: »
    When we're not getting massive lagspikes, I'm still spiking from 40 to 150 every few seconds, which makes timing things pretty unstable. I'm dying to or getting hit by things I know the dodge timing of still, like the back of my hand, because the timing keeps shifting from the small spikes. And the big spikes are just RIP.
    This is an important note to make, in a game that is as action-oriented as you can get in an MMO like TERA is, the latency and spiking issues are completely unacceptable in terms of play-ability. EME, you're offering us a service, which many of us pay for, but the service is faulty if we can't actually play the game.

• IronCloudIronCloud
    edited April 2017
    Muggsly wrote: »
    IronCloud wrote: »

Just for the record because I see this get posted a lot but bandwidth and latency are separate things so your up and down speeds have no bearing on your latency. Latency is the delay that exists for a packet to reach you while your bandwidth is just the size of the pipe entering your home.

Now whether any of these issues are latency issues or if they are more server overload issues remains to be seen since they are affecting everyone equally at the same time in a dungeon.

Yes, you are correct. My point was to rule out the possibility that I am running some ridiculously slow/outdated network connection.

Tera's servers are in Chicago, so here's a ping test from my home to Chicago Illinois and I definitely don't get 60 ping in game.

Uwav8lR.png
  • MuggslyMuggsly ✭✭✭
    Again you are testing to a different server that you are not sure the route. If you want to properly test do a pathping to the tera gameservers and you will get a more accurate picture. A speedtest to a comcast server in chicago is not telling you anything.