There will be no TERA maintenance on 8/22. Maintenance will take place on Wednesday, 8/23.

[STUDY] Tera Pro's & Con's

Hello folks,

I am doing a study about online MMORPG's for a project and I'd like to know if you could share with me your PRO's and CON's about Tera Online.
I know this was already been asked in the community but the posts I found about it were fairly old, reason why I am starting this new thread.

Please, be kind and share your thoughts with me :)

Thank you!

Comments

• MuggslyMuggsly ✭✭
    This was asked on reddit and I posted this there

If I had to put my thoughts on tera into 1 sentence:
    Tera is a game with an amazing combat system and interesting dungeon mechanics, built on an old engine, with a publisher that doesn't seem to care.
  • cuzcuz ✭✭
    Pros: it's so purty

Cons: I never got a hello kitty costume and I'm still bitter about it :<
  • Muggsly wrote: »
    This was asked on reddit and I posted this there

If I had to put my thoughts on tera into 1 sentence:
    Tera is a game with an amazing combat system and interesting dungeon mechanics, built on an old engine, with a publisher that doesn't seem to care.

Understood.

But still, could you be a little more specific when you say "publisher that doesn't care"? I am building a MMORPG project and I am researching what people think about Tera to apply in my project.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts tho! :)
  • cuz wrote: »
    Pros: it's so purty

Cons: I never got a hello kitty costume and I'm still bitter about it :<

Thank you for sharing, but could you expand a little bit your thoughts?

:)
  • DelusoDeluso ✭✭✭
    If you wanna know what's the Pro's can Con's about Tera, please play it for at least a week.
    Leveling with community, learn the game and try to make some comparison with other MMORPG. In that way, you can understand what's the Tera is all about 1st hand.
    Also, you don't just ask players about Pro's and Con's without actually trying it 1st. I believe we got few review on Youtube too.
  • Deluso wrote: »
    If you wanna know what's the Pro's can Con's about Tera, please play it for at least a week.
    Leveling with community, learn the game and try to make some comparison with other MMORPG. In that way, you can understand what's the Tera is all about 1st hand.
    Also, you don't just ask players about Pro's and Con's without actually trying it 1st. I believe we got few review on Youtube too.

Deluso,

Thank you for sharing.

Although, I have my concerns already, I have 5 characters level 65 and I personally play Tera since 2014.
    I want to know, besides my thoughts, what people think.

Understood? :)

By the way, share yours if you can! :)
  • Pros: Beatiful game, excelent gameplay

Cons: Bad optimization, Producer and Publisher think with their [filtered], Massive Grindfest, Massive RNGfest, no Elin Valkyrie
  • AkariReap wrote: »
    Pros: Beatiful game, excelent gameplay

Cons: Bad optimization, Producer and Publisher think with their [filtered], Massive Grindfest, Massive RNGfest, no Elin Valkyrie

Thank you for sharing!

Anything else you'd like to add?
    When you say "Massive RNGfest", what exactly you mean?

Thank you again! :)
  • KoikoiKoikoi ✭✭✭
    edited April 21
    Pros:
    - amazing fluid combat
    - beautiful open world

Con
    - Small community. player base has been shrinking for quite some time and is going downhill quite fast.
    - open world has zero use what so ever.
    - lack of pve content. 6mo cycle of gear grind in recycled dungeons/bosses
    - lack of Pvp content as a whole.
    - battlegrounds have all been equalized with the worst gear imaginable.
    - Korean Game developer seems to rarely take into account what NA would like in the game.
    - game publisher one word "yikes"
    - Lag/ping spikes. Since October 2016 NA Tera feels to be running on a potato servers.

There's honestly a lot of cons but there's the jist.
  • BaldurdashBaldurdash ✭✭✭
    4EXT7MPAYE wrote: »
    AkariReap wrote: »

Thank you for sharing!

Compared to other korean developed games, Tera is actually quite tame in regards to RNG. What they mean by RNG is the amount of luck it takes to progress/get cosmetics. If you want a more hardcore example take a look at Archeage where there is no protection for upgrading items to the equivalent of +15. (Divine, Epic, Legendary, Mythical). These items have a very high chance to break.

In Tera you can waste a lot of resources upgrading as a newbie but eventually you'll get to a point where feedstock/mwa don't matter.
  • 4EXT7MPAYE wrote: »

Thank you for sharing!

RNG means random number generator, basically something that is randomized so you have a chance to it, in Tera if you want to enchant your gear you're attached to RNG, if you're lucky you will enchant it quickly, if you're not it will take lots of time and effort and will dry your money, most of the good costumes/accesories or even innerwears come from RNG boxes, you have to open them and if you're lucky you'll get what you want in the first box, if you're not you'll open 100 and dont get anything
  • Pros: Great combat, beautiful looks.

Cons: The grind (when you don't have a lot of time to play), the RNG.
  • XandervbXandervb ✭✭✭
    Pros: combat system (only thing keeping game alive), still looks good despite time.

Cons: insanely random-based gear progression system, bad optimization, bugs not being fixed for a long time (feels like playing on private server) devs seem to not play their own game much.
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    The real pros:

-One of the only MMOs which isn't the boring tab-target kind. This is way more immersive than the former imo.
    -The only MMO that used to have actual playable pvp that isn't just press one button to win.
    -One of the few MMOs that doesn't lock you out of content just because you don't spend money. Look at some games where it is impossible to advance one step into end-game unless you grind 3 months non-stop or spend a truckload of money.
    -One of the few MMOs that is a nearly bot free server (NA). I haven't seen a f2p MMORPG that can do this on their official servers.
    -One of the MMOs that emphasize on teamwork and individual skill, so much that battles feel more like a dance than random mashing of buttons.

Cons:
    -RNG (This is honestly a minor con imo, all RPGs need some form of RNG to keep the game in check)
    -Publishers have no focus on any region other than their home region. if you set up an MMO designed for multiple regions, take note that every region has their market, country law, style of playing. You can't just cater only to one server and ignore the rest, that is tactical [filtered].
    -Just not enough content.
    -PvP is not encouraged enough (subjective, I know, but TERA doesn't disappoint in their battlegrounds, so addictive even if credits are not awarded).
    -Game is way too punishing to players who are still learning and can't keep up. Losing crystals just because of a single death? (Note not all servers have easy access to complete crystalbind) Rip your credits and gold.
    -Not enough side content for good distractions.
  • AkariReap wrote: »
    4EXT7MPAYE wrote: »

Thank you for sharing!

RNG means random number generator, basically something that is randomized so you have a chance to it, in Tera if you want to enchant your gear you're attached to RNG, if you're lucky you will enchant it quickly, if you're not it will take lots of time and effort and will dry your money, most of the good costumes/accesories or even innerwears come from RNG boxes, you have to open them and if you're lucky you'll get what you want in the first box, if you're not you'll open 100 and dont get anything

Thank you for your explanation!
    Pros: Great combat, beautiful looks.

Cons: The grind (when you don't have a lot of time to play), the RNG.

Thank you for sharing!

Xandervb wrote: »
    Pros: combat system (only thing keeping game alive), still looks good despite time.

Cons: insanely random-based gear progression system, bad optimization, bugs not being fixed for a long time (feels like playing on private server) devs seem to not play their own game much.

Yeah, looks like you guys hate the RNG! haha