[TERA PC] Summersilk season is here! Pick up Summersilk Robes in the TERA store until August 3. Plus, earn a free Summersilk Robe in our leveling event: https://bit.ly/TERA_summersilk
[TERA Console] To celebrate the launch of the Awakening update, participate in the Awakening Leveling Event! Plus, get free items upon your first post-update log-in. Details: https://bit.ly/awkn_events
[TERA Console] The Awakening update (v84) is now live on all console servers! Read the patch notes here: https://bit.ly/v84notes

The 3rd Party Thread

Comments

• TeekzTeekz ✭✭✭
    JasonTERA wrote: »
    So far, the only OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT about what EME will do for any 3rd party program is here

694c53045b.png
    - by Noesis
    7d6b45cee0.png
    - by Spacecats

And during last 2-3 weeks, lots of players got banned for 3rd party program-related issue. However, Some people got permanently banned, but some others got banned for 2 weeks ~ 4 weeks(1 month). This seems like EME does not fulfill their official announcement. I kinda understand that Permanent ban for any kind of issue related to 3rd party program is quite harsh. But then, we need to (and deserve to) know the actual regulation for this issue. @Spacecats @CobaltDragon , please clarify this issue.

In the meanwhile, I would like to categorize some issue that against ToS and listen other's opinion.

# Possible issues that EME will take an action.

1. Using a 3rd party program for general purpose.

- I know that use of any 3rd party program gives any kind of advantage to player. However, some players really need it in order to play "normally". Also, some players prefer to use a 3rd party program/MOD in order to make their TERA more enjoyable. These kinds of 3rd party programs do not affect player's gameplay directly. So I would say it is "use of 3rd party program for general purpose". However, it is definitely against ToS so that there must be a punishment if EME find them.
    - Also, even for now, some people who used a 3rd party program for general purpose got banned, but not permanently. So I guess EME is a bit generous (compared to permanent ban) for this issue.

2. Using a 3rd party program for exploit purpose.

- There have been lots of issues about this in both PVP and PVE, something like one shot, getting through the gate, etc. And I guess EME permanently banned those players already. This kind of exploit directly affects player's gameplay and gives too much advantage than ordinary gameplay. So this issue should be considered to give top tier punishment.

3. Modifying ini file.

- As most people already knew, there is a plain text file for TERA settings. And by adding/editing those files, people can self-optimize their TERA and/or extent FOV. This does not affect directly player's gameplay so that it is also kind of "for general purpose". And some people argue that it is intended by TERA since it is just a plain text file.
    People are debating whether this is against ToS or not. So we need to be confirmed by GMs.

4. People who are associated with exploiters.

- There have been lots of people that did not exploit with a 3rd party program, but have been associated with the exploiters by being in the same party/raid. I heard that EME already took an action for them, but they changed their action (permanent to temporary ban). The associated people might be completely innocent, but there is still a chance to be aware of it before the exploiters starts exploiting. It is quite hard to figure out how innocent those people are, but the fact is they got some advantages by the exploiters so that it is quite reasonable to punish those associated people with minor punishment.

Again, the only announcement about the regulations for 3rd party program and modifying TERA client is "permanent ban" which is very unclear.

Spacecats also use a 3rd party program in order to stream his TERA on every Friday.

This seems a joke, but actually it is not a joke according to EME's announcement. Therefore, EME should clarify about this issue and what "accordingly" means for the action they are going to take.

Streaming is a lot different than running a proxy.
    3rd party programs for the game are against ToS.

• Teekz wrote: »

I definitely agree with you. However, my real question is..why does EME not take action according to what they announced?
  • MidokuPastaMidokuPasta ✭✭✭✭
    Teekz wrote: »

I definitely agree with you. However, my real question is..why does EME not take action according to what they announced?

I'm not calling you stupid or anything but...

They are talking about using 3rd party programs to cheat in Tera IE the memeslash injectors. Anything directly linked to running Tera is a 3rd party program, even my build in graphics card program is considered 3rd party.

Stream is not, in anyway shape or form used to directly run Tera. Actually read what they are talking about for christ sakes.
  • JasonTERA wrote: »

They are talking about using 3rd party programs to cheat in Tera IE the memeslash injectors. Anything directly linked to running Tera is a 3rd party program, even my build in graphics card program is considered 3rd party.

Stream is not, in anyway shape or form used to directly run Tera. Actually read what they are talking about for christ sakes.

Oh, I was not talking about stream anymore in that comment.

Lots of people got banned for 3rd party program issue, but some people got just temp banned, and some others got perma ban. that is my question
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of people got banned for 3rd party program issue, but some people got just temp banned, and some others got perma ban. that is my question

Some ppl got banned for having memeslash on their parties and stayed there for loots and stuff, maybe it was the case, not sure tho, just heard from some players.
  • Let me clarify my question here again.

1. GM said any 3rd party program which affect TERA gamepley (i'm not talking about stream) is not allowed
    2. GM said cheating with 3rd party program = permanent ban
    3. Some people who was using the 3rd party program that has been issued got permanently banned, but some people got only temporarily banned.

Therefore, people who got temporary ban was not cheating? I know it sounds like stupid, but this is why I am asking GMs to clarify their regulations.
    Why did those people got only temporary ban even if they obviously used 3rd party program?
  • JasonTERA wrote: »
    Let me clarify my question here again.

1. GM said any 3rd party program which affect TERA gamepley (i'm not talking about stream) is not allowed
    2. GM said cheating with 3rd party program = permanent ban
    3. Some people who was using the 3rd party program that has been issued got permanently banned, but some people got only temporarily banned.

Therefore, people who got temporary ban was not cheating? I know it sounds like stupid, but this is why I am asking GMs to clarify their regulations.
    Why did those people got only temporary ban even if they obviously used 3rd party program?

I think you have reasonable questions but I don't think you will be getting any response from the GMs about them. However, you might want to join the official EME discord and perhaps you can find your answer there.

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/come-together-with-eme-s-new-discord-server
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ginjitsu wrote: »
    DPS meters aren't really needed and players did just fine without it for years, even class changes have been made do to player feedback before it was meters were introduced.

Just because you didn't have it, doesn't mean it didn't exist.
  • BeomBeom ✭✭
    > @TWMagimay said:
    > Just because you didn't have it, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Well, that is not true. Spacecats and Noesis said "no assumption on ToS" and they also sais "cheating = permanent ban"

So, what @JasonTERA said makes sense. EME should have perma banned all players identified to use injector. But EME gave some of them only 2 weeks ban or maybe 30 days.

@TWMagimay what you said is just an assumtion, and what GM said clearly means permanant ban for all cheaters.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Beom wrote: »
    > @TWMagimay said:
    > Just because you didn't have it, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Well, that is not true. Spacecats and Noesis said "no assumption on ToS" and they also sais "cheating = permanent ban"

So, what @JasonTERA said makes sense. EME should have perma banned all players identified to use injector. But EME gave some of them only 2 weeks ban or maybe 30 days.

@TWMagimay what you said is just an assumtion, and what GM said clearly means permanant ban for all cheaters.

What you are saying makes exactly 0 sense. What I said is not an assumption and it also has nothing to do with GMs or bans.
  • JasonTERAJasonTERA ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    - deleted-
    sorry, misnderstood what you said lol..
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    LesbianVi wrote: »

Some ppl got banned for having memeslash on their parties and stayed there for loots and stuff, maybe it was the case, not sure tho, just heard from some players.

how would you know if someone was using memeslash in your party to begin with? I honestly wouldn't know if someone was using it or not. I hear about it in forums, but how do you know if they are or not? are they one shot killing bosses or something?
  • StarkhoeStarkhoe ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Therefore, people who got temporary ban was not cheating? I know it sounds like stupid, but this is why I am asking GMs to clarify their regulations. Why did those people got only temporary ban even if they obviously used 3rd party program?

You are trying to "bait" a publishing company into an open public argument as a single individual, under the argument that they're bans appear to be circumstantial or based on various levels of severity for each case. What you are proposing is essentially an absolute enforcement of policy to its upmost extent, regardless of any technicalities or implications which might be involved in the process. I hope you understand that's not going to happen. Especially not like this.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say that EME had the manpower and ability to address any and all cases as one, in a single day. Lets say that they banned everyone that used third party software, and even found a way to prevent people from being able to use them at all. Lets say that happened. Erasing all those people, as if they were letters on a blackboard. Just like that. Poof. Magic. What happens next? will we be seeing a tranquil and utopian society where all problems are fixed? or will we perhaps witness a lose of a very large and dedicated playerbase? or better yet, do you suppose it would be in a company's interest to act strictly on policy, and set themselves up by creating a public image of a tyrant?

I get what you're saying. But, no offense, if I was a company, even I wouldn't listen to you. I`m not an expert, but (imo) it would be much more profitable to capitalize, exploit, maybe even employ, and explore player-made improvements favorably, and maybe find a way to officially incorporate them into the game. At this point in time, I think that the software can`t be killed, without killing off the game. Perhaps a better argument would be, that if BHS optimized the game experience in the first place, then this situation might have been mediated, or at least downsized.
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    LesbianVi wrote: »

how would you know if someone was using memeslash in your party to begin with? I honestly wouldn't know if someone was using it or not. I hear about it in forums, but how do you know if they are or not? are they one shot killing bosses or something?

They were one-shoting stuff, and some players took advantage to gear themselves with Oblit/DW, some got perma banned, some got week banned, again I am not sure. also we gotta let this die lol
  • 66ECX7NAN766ECX7NAN7 ✭✭✭✭
    Did they ever clarify whether they will ban you for changing your .ini settings?