We're having maintenance Tuesday, November 20 from 8 - 11 am PDT (three hours).

What exactly can you do for us the community?

Comments

• Sadly words are not the same as action. Maybe you guys have daily meetings with BHS to talk about nyan cat or something, which is why none of the important issues had ever been addressed.
  • FaytEsteemFaytEsteem ✭✭✭
    Now all that's needed...is for EME to address the recent lag instead of eme going on a witch hunt and banning people for using third party programs.
  • JasonLucasJasonLucas ✭✭✭
    @Denommenator @Halrath @Noesis
    Could you guys say if there will be or not a optimization patch coming with the console release? BHS don't want to talk about it and I don't think they are planning a surprise for us.
  • Geletron wrote: »

5. I've worked on a few publisher-driven events while at En Masse. Kira's potion shack, the golden gift boxes, Bamkiller, Skyring Slam, and Canyon Clash were all events that were created and developed at En Masse. We told Bluehole about these events before we started them and we reported to them on how they performed.

Hope that helps answer a few questions.

How about making Skyring Slam and Canyon Clash (Hopefully with Non-equalized gear) a thing again? Now that PvP has been brutally murdered, this would make the PvP community semi-happy for a while. @Geletron @Spacecats

• TankyHealerTankyHealer ✭✭✭
    Spacecats wrote: »
    Noesis and Halrath are the current Product Managers for TERA, and they communicate most with Bluehole, both through daily e-mails on a variety of subjects and a weekly late night phone call (to account for the time difference). Primarily their job is to make sure updates are implemented in a timely manner, in-game events are planned/maintained, items are properly added to the game & store. They keep track of each build and work closely with Writing and QA to assure they arrive on time. They also coordinate with Creative and Marketing to make sure announcements go accordingly.

Would like to know what you guys would consider was "timely manner". Sorcerer rework patch along with new dungeons and gears were live on October 25th 2016. EUTera has already announced the info on next major patch, revealing that it will be here in May and also Velik Sanctuary Hard Mode won't be out until later on in the patch.

From October to May, that is 7 months. IMO I don't think that would be considered as "timely".

- Community team has multiple tasks as well, including community contests, Twitch streams, feedback collection (that includes a lot of things), social media (also a lot), event planning (in conjunction with Product Management), announcements, and advising other En Masse teams on what the current community concerns are.

I would also like to suggest one thing: have somebody (or a couple people) on the Community Team to play the game like a normal player.

Not using your GM powers, not given anything, start from scratch, level and get into the end game, try to get gears & enchant them, and play the end game like everybody else. Do RMHM everyday, do HH every week, farm for gold and materials, be involved with the broker.

Why? Because in order to represent the community, you have to be part of the community. No matter how many tests you run to debug, no matter how perfect everything looks, you guys are GM and that is a complete different perspective compared to players. Because we play this game hours everyday, we spot things that needs to be fixed so easily, and these are issues that you guys never even thought of.

Just to pull out some examples:
    - IoD bams are literally the only way to "show loyalty" for the loyalty reward system, which doesn't make any sense.
    - Friendship points should be the friendship between accounts rather than characters, because your friends are still your friends regardless what character they or you are on.

Things like this, they are too small to be noticed by you guys but it affects us players on a regular basis. Like I said before, to represent the community, you have to be part of the community.

@Spacecats
  • KillstyleKillstyle ✭✭✭
    @Killstyle This is how forum posts should be. Thank you for being a part of the community.

I appreciate the kind words. I think most players who use the forum are as I am but they, and I sometimes, get frustrated by what they are communicating and what is actually being done or not done. BHS has the final say and EME can only try to convey what we as NA players would like to see. And don't forget that it is EME's job to come up with ways to market and add in-game events to keep Tera alive so they have their own ideas of how to run Tera. We need a middle ground. We as community and EME should find a way that doesn't make either one feel like not a single discussion was glanced over or not even heard. If I can help bring about a rebirth of Tera I will do it. I love Tera but have not agreed with a lot of what BHS has done with the game. As long as we the community can discuss these topics without getting our flame on or witch hunting I think the forum moderators would be more willing to respond. Seriously, who wants to walk into a burning room?
    aeee98 wrote: »
    To be honest, it is only made possible because there wasn't any passive aggressive behaviour in his post at all. No need to defend when there is nothing to lol.

If only the community can sometimes make less bashy statements.

Or maybe I am actually sleeping and I am still dreaming. I don't know at this point.

I think you're sleeping, lol. But I agree that the community needs to calm down a little. If we can keep calm, and I know it's hard to at times, we can slowly get through a lot of the problems we, as players, find in-game. Ever notice how posts get closed cause everyone or most everyone is aggressive, angry and pointing fingers. Keep it civilized and I think we can do great things to help Tera slowly come back.
    Haggard86 wrote: »
    Thank you to the staff for the responses, I know we as the community can be unreasonable with our requests for answers at times, knowing that from the business side you guys are bound to contracts and probably non-disclosure clauses and everything. If I could request something, I would ask that you sticky this thread for awhile, just so forum users can have an easy place to go to see what you guys do and get a feel for how the staff works.

Agreed but only because I couldn't find a post like this in search and I know I've wanted to know for a while.
    EpicCookie wrote: »
    Geletron wrote: »

5. I've worked on a few publisher-driven events while at En Masse. Kira's potion shack, the golden gift boxes, Bamkiller, Skyring Slam, and Canyon Clash were all events that were created and developed at En Masse. We told Bluehole about these events before we started them and we reported to them on how they performed.

How about making Skyring Slam and Canyon Clash (Hopefully with Non-equalized gear) a thing again? Now that PvP has been brutally murdered, this would make the PvP community semi-happy for a while. @Geletron @Spacecats

That's the way to think. Great suggestion! I've never played any of those but if you've PvP'd before and think this will help then we need that kind of suggestion. Keep them coming.
  • EpicCookie wrote: »

I knew the second Geletron mentioned Skyring Slam and Canyon Clash that there would be a request for it! I'm shooting him an evil look, but he's behind several people and now Denommenator thinks I'm looking at him weird.

It comes up every once in a while, and I know those are really awesome events that the community enjoyed in the past. One of the players we met up with at PAX East even grilled me about it ;D

I'll try to basically repeat what I told him - there is quite a lot of work, expectation, and overall baggage surrounding Canyon Clash and Skyring Slam. Since I started at EME roughly a year ago, there have been multiple times where I intended to start planning one but quickly hit a brick wall. I'll keep trying. Here are some of the difficulties I'm referring to....
    • Streaming. The past events were giant multi-hour streams with commentary. They were also weekend streams. I'm not sure players would go for a variation that didn't include streaming the whole tournament, or at least the finals.
    • Server setup. Both need a separate event server to be spun up, with characters created and items set up to allow some kind of character customization and gear. Otherwise we would have to choose one of the five TERA servers to hold the event, excluding PvPers from the other servers.
    • DDoS attacks. They plagued the final Canyon Clash, and made for a generally unfun experience for those involved. There's a risk that would happen again and all our efforts would be wasted.
    • Bandwidth. When Tonka ran Skyring Slam and Canyon Clash, the community team was bigger and he was able to focus solely on planning them for weeks. Minea handled forums and Harmonia handled socials and a bunch of other things. At the moment I'm the sole Community Manager for TERA. I feel like I would have to sacrifice time towards other community projects in order to make it happen. The temptation is still there but I'd hate to forego an in-game event like invasion or Mongo, a community contest, preview stream, or anything else. I would also not accept a 1/2 effort Canyon Clash. I'd want to do it right with my full effort towards making it excellent.

• EpicCookieEpicCookie ✭✭
    edited May 2017

I knew the second Geletron mentioned Skyring Slam and Canyon Clash that there would be a request for it! I'm shooting him an evil look, but he's behind several people and now Denommenator thinks I'm looking at him weird.

It comes up every once in a while, and I know those are really awesome events that the community enjoyed in the past. One of the players we met up with at PAX East even grilled me about it ;D

I'll try to basically repeat what I told him - there is quite a lot of work, expectation, and overall baggage surrounding Canyon Clash and Skyring Slam. Since I started at EME roughly a year ago, there have been multiple times where I intended to start planning one but quickly hit a brick wall. I'll keep trying. Here are some of the difficulties I'm referring to....
    • Streaming. The past events were giant multi-hour streams with commentary. They were also weekend streams. I'm not sure players would go for a variation that didn't include streaming the whole tournament, or at least the finals.
    • Server setup. Both need a separate event server to be spun up, with characters created and items set up to allow some kind of character customization and gear. Otherwise we would have to choose one of the five TERA servers to hold the event, excluding PvPers from the other servers.
    • DDoS attacks. They plagued the final Canyon Clash, and made for a generally unfun experience for those involved. There's a risk that would happen again and all our efforts would be wasted.
    • Bandwidth. When Tonka ran Skyring Slam and Canyon Clash, the community team was bigger and he was able to focus solely on planning them for weeks. Minea handled forums and Harmonia handled socials and a bunch of other things. At the moment I'm the sole Community Manager for TERA. I feel like I would have to sacrifice time towards other community projects in order to make it happen. The temptation is still there but I'd hate to forego an in-game event like invasion or Mongo, a community contest, preview stream, or anything else. I would also not accept a 1/2 effort Canyon Clash. I'd want to do it right with my full effort towards making it excellent.

@Spacecats Thanks for taking the time and letting not only me, but the community know, why events like these are hard to set up ( I believe this is the first time such reasons have been expressed in such a clear manner or any manner at all). Even though I understand the complexity behind events like these, it would be nice for EME to address the lack of PvP content (you can come up with your own events if you want that involve PvP, or ask the player base what they suggest). The Player Council has a few old PvP players like Kamizuma, I'm sure he could give some pointers.
  • Spacecats wrote: »

my 2cents

1. Streaming - Lot of the players in the tournament will stream it themselves. Just stream the semi + finals or even just the finals from EME's end.
    2. Use the WH server for hosting the tourney.
    3. DDoS was a problem, but thats on the players, not EME's fault. Nothing EME can do about it. It's the player's fault for having their IP's revealed and getting DDoSed individually.
    4. Ultimately its up to u, even if planning it takes months, as long as it happens ppl will be happy. Try getting denominator involved, or any of the veteran tera staffs that were around for the tournaments in the past to help out.
  • GlitchyTrashGlitchyTrash ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @Spacecats @Geletron I completely understand that events such as Canyon Clash and Skying Slam would take up a majority of your time but when you first became the Community Manager you made a lot of PvPers excited because you said you also wanted to experience the PvP of Tera and help its community. Sadly though the only PvP event I remember you doing was on CH server, a none PvP server :/ that's not exactly helping the already hurting PvP community. In the last year that you have been here you have hosted several events such as invasions, half a dozen mongo events and other really awesome stuff that brought a lot of players together. But the fact that you gave an evil look to someone for suggesting a single PvP event does not make us feel any better in hopes of some kind of improvement.

I really hope this changes because while the PvP community is dearly hurting, we are trying our best to do what we enjoy in this game. We have recently set up a 3s discord to aid in the rebirth of solo q(Since the power hour day for it is atrocious for only getting 1 day). I'm sure the 3s community would really appreciate it if you could even just promote this discord with a shout out during a stream in the future to help spread the word that it is there to help people get into more PvP.

Thank you and good luck on future events c:

Edit: I just wanted to throw a suggestion out about events as well. In the last year there have been several community driven PvP competitions and while some had their issues, overall they ran relatively smoothly for having no support from EME. I suggest maybe getting with one of your council members and seeing what they can do to help set up an EME supported community driven event. I was in all of these events outside of the 1v1 tournaments on Fey Forest and would give as much insight as I possibly could to help improve any events, as well as I am sure there are a lot of players in the PvP community who would love to help in setting something up that we could all enjoy :) Thanks!
  • FernetDobleFernetDoble ✭✭✭

This is the first time ive ever seen Eme (or in this case you) explaining why there are no more pvp events like the ones u mentioned. THIS is what we want, you to explain why things ppl been asking for months (and some cases years) are not getting done. It might seem obvious, but by just explaining things in this way, you are doing way more than u imagine. This is the spacecats we want, just be honest to us. Most ppl will either offer sugestions or just say "oh, thats a bummer, thanks anyway". And its way better than "eme doesnt care" feel.
    On the other side, i dont know if you know but a while ago Kamisuma hosted a Corsair tournament. Altough he is a well known player, he is just a player, so maybe u check what did he do to make it work and maybe (just maybe) work something up with that.
  • KillstyleKillstyle ✭✭✭

Thank you for the clarification. That is some major info I never knew about. I don't PvP in Tera but it always sounds like the PvP community is always looking for something more. Is it possible to maybe start with a smaller PvP event? Maybe give each server a day instead of trying to get all the servers in one day. Could even spread the days out so you are able to handle it better. Start small and get bigger. Learn from the little ones to make the bigger ones better. I'm sure if you asked the PvPers for some advice they would happily give you some suggestions. Thanks again.
  • This is the first time ive ever seen Eme (or in this case you) explaining why there are no more pvp events like the ones u mentioned. THIS is what we want, you to explain why things ppl been asking for months (and some cases years) are not getting done. It might seem obvious, but by just explaining things in this way, you are doing way more than u imagine. This is the spacecats we want, just be honest to us.

This is what every gaming community wants.

I have always wanted to play a game where members of the company that made a mistake that affected me in game would come to the forums and acknowledge it.

Example:

Hey guys, I am Bob and I work with coding for EME. Today I made a pretty drastic mistake while attempting to clean up some animations for the Elin race. When you log in game you will notice all Elins are now bald, head to toe and that is my fault (opps), I have worked around the clock to fix my error and the patch is ready to go for the upcoming maintenance. Noeisis decided to make the best out of my situation, he figured since Elins were small in stature and now more aerodynamic (my bad) he would temporarily increase all Elins out of combat speed by 280 until the upcoming maintenance.

While my example is silly it still illustrates the point that putting a human touch on a mistake can be very endearing to people.

• A95K5X4LDY wrote: »

my 2cents

1. Streaming - Lot of the players in the tournament will stream it themselves. Just stream the semi + finals or even just the finals from EME's end.
    2. Use the WH server for hosting the tourney.
    3. DDoS was a problem, but thats on the players, not EME's fault. Nothing EME can do about it. It's the player's fault for having their IP's revealed and getting DDoSed individually.
    4. Ultimately its up to u, even if planning it takes months, as long as it happens ppl will be happy. Try getting denominator involved, or any of the veteran tera staffs that were around for the tournaments in the past to help out.

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of encouraging the players to stream it, and I've even thought about bringing in community shoutcasters for something like this.

WH server no longer exists. It was a short term test environment. RIP.

DDoS might be the fault of players, but it's still a potential problem. It's not the blame I'm worried about. More like I'd hate to set everyone up for disappointment just because a few jerks want to ruin the good times. From what I've heard, the concern might not be as great as I think it is on this point (some things have changed from before regarding the way people's IPs were exposed.) It's still on my mind though.

It would totally take multiple people from the EME office. Even with months of planning I couldn't hope to achieve it myself. There have even been times were I was super ready to begin, and it turned out other departments were slammed (heh) with work. It will need to happen at the right moment.
  • when you first became the Community Manager you made a lot of PvPers excited because you said you also wanted to experience the PvP of Tera and help its community. Sadly though the only PvP event I remember you doing was on CH server, a none PvP server :/ that's not exactly helping the already hurting PvP community.

I think about that a lot. There have been some small events on other servers but nothing like I originally wanted. I'm very much open to supporting player-organized PvP events. Please message me if you're interested in running something for your server!