[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Assuming Direct Control(ler) 2: The Phantom Director

Hi, how are you? My name is Sage and I'm just a simple man who likes video games.

A few weeks ago, I made a very short video series detailing how one can play TERA with a controller (made in direct response to many woes that were hot on the heels of TERA's console port announcement). Long and short: while nowhere near as versatile as a mouse and keyboard, it's easier to use than many people think it is.

But there have been some new "developments" recently, or rather a lack thereof. Starting with the Honorbound patch, there was an odd issue where the "Set Skill Direction" options behaved almost exactly the same. While annoying, it wasn't a big deal (for most people). I'm sure there were many others who hoped this would be resolved with the Anniversary(?) patch.

But alas, it was not. In fact, I would argue that the situation was made worse. This is not due to the issue not being resolved, but rather the "Set Skill Direction" option was removed completely. Don't believe me? Check out this sh***y little picture I made just scant minutes before making this thread:

5KBesyD.png

I already explained a while back that I lack the dexterity to use a traditional K&M setup (and no, I'm not getting an MMO mouse), so I play with a controller. At the risk of sounding like I'm blowing myself, I'm still able to slay, lance, priest, arch, so and so on with the best of them despite the obvious disadvantages. Ergo, to log on and see this was more than a little distressing. Sadness! :scream:

Is there anything someone on the EME staff can do to resolve this? Even some simple information would be most welcome. Thank you, and may the Force be with you!

Comments

• edited May 2017
    why solve the issue when you can just remove it from the game? g [filtered] g (seriously guys, please just bring this back to the way it was pre-honorbound.
    [Removing Forum Violation]
  • Nice.
    BHS
    "Should we fix.it?"
    "Nah just delete the option. Theyll forget it was ever there."
    Lol
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not make this topic go into that stupid "you can't play with a controller" bull manure again, but rather only discuss the issue with controller support changes.

To be fair, I don't understand the issue that has been going on with the whole camera/character direction skills, I've not felt difference other than the predicted one like Priest Backstep now being character directional (I LOVED THIS!!!), but heard a lot of complains about it not working.

Are these skill direction issues class dependent, or had problems with any class? The only issue I've had before was that out of the blue the setting would change from camera direction to character direction, so on my Archer I would end up pushing back while facing boss and then press backstep and it would move TOWARDS the boss annoyingly and make me screw up a mechanic. But this haven't happened since some months ago, and things have been going smoothly for me.

I'll check if I got this sort of issue here, but... never had so I don't understand the problem. Not saying there is NOT a problem, just that I haven't felt. Maybe i just thought it was a patch change like the backstep direction.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    See?? THIS is what I'm talking about!

@Spacecats @Halrath please explain to us why they REMOVED the option if they didn't FIX it!

I woulda expected it to be fixed if the option is removed...

This is BS! I am NOT a happy elin!
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I know Spacecats said that it's not intended and is a bug
  • edited May 2017
    Andsoitis wrote: »
    Nice.
    BHS
    "Should we fix.it?"
    "Nah just delete the option. Theyll forget it was ever there."
    Lol

Well, more like "if it's not going to work anyway, let's not have an option that implies it does." Most likely the person who was told to do this had nothing to do with the people who could actually fix this issue. But yeah... I definitely agree that it's frustrating, and doesn't really solve the problem that people were upset about (that the functionality was lost).

(That said, I still have the controller memory leak bug that has been going on for 3+ years, so...)
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeep checked and the toggle on menu is completely removed. Tho I'm not familiar with what issues it had before, maybe the way I set is what it reverts/bugs into so I never felt.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »
    Yeep checked and the toggle on menu is completely removed. Tho I'm not familiar with what issues it had before, maybe the way I set is what it reverts/bugs into so I never felt.

If you ticked the "Camera direction", your character would do their skills in the direction of the camera, like it is now

The "Character direction" is what I used to us, I can't speak for everyone, and it's been bugged ever since Honorbound

I woulda been fine without the new dgs, just fix this, then I'll be happy again
  • Why remove something that wasnt broken?
  • 5H96Y49G6D5H96Y49G6D ✭✭✭
    Knew it sort of confirms this was intentional and not every skill camera direction

Anyway its not hard play the 3hrs get used to it + its better anyway ur gameplay will improve due to increased accuracy
  • 5H96Y49G6D wrote: »
    Knew it sort of confirms this was intentional and not every skill camera direction

Anyway its not hard play the 3hrs get used to it + its better anyway ur gameplay will improve due to increased accuracy

try to do 360 or side blocks in pvp then u tell me...
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    5H96Y49G6D wrote: »

@Spacecats said himself that the whole camera direction thing was a bug and not intentional

Also just telling someone to learn to play with keyboard/mouse sometimes isn't the answer. Some people can't play with a keyboard/mouse with all the skills you have in Tera.

>> try to do 360 or side blocks in pvp then u tell me...

Well said. I personally wouldn't be able to do pvp with a mouse. (Not good anyway..)
  • I wonder how many gamepad users there are out there right now in this game?
    Will the console version operate like this?
    Can we get an official response on this even if that response is there arent enough of you to care?
  • Theories:
    1- They are really fixing it; or bringing it back when consoles release or sometime...
    2- They legit removed it because of some weird coding issue...???
    3- They don't want to code upcoming classes to work with this so they scrapped it.
    4- -INTERNAL SCREAMING-

I can't imagine console users not complaining about this aswell.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vithroil wrote: »
    Why remove something that wasnt broken?

it was, that's why they removed it huehue

Hope they are fixing it tho, since I can imagine for sure it would bother a heck lot of people. Same reason I just can't get used to playing TERA on keyboard and mouse, I can imagine it being frustrating for who has it set against their normal. I had that happen sometimes on patches, specially chain key rests to standard (which I HATE), and I can really feel how it was when it changed itself to character direction.

Regarding console users: they aren't gonna complain about a change they never felt, they can however complain about the lack of something they would find useful.
    I've seen the console beta's menu screenshots and it seems perfectly optimized for the directional keys and selection keys, so I would bet that this is on the fixing list. I wouldn't believe they are not caring if they need the controller support good for console
This discussion has been closed.