[PC] We will be entering into maintenance on 7/23 at 7am PDT, and have an expected downtime of approx. 4 hours. For details, visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/2Ocm9O4

What EME is doing to reduce lag in TERA [Updated 5/18]

Comments

• JasonLucasJasonLucas ✭✭✭
    a3e3287f7ecdd4761b232a4d30fa3d3e.png
    0ms, i could just watch the fat kumas spank my [filtered] in the floor
  • There was a 20 second lag on Tempest Reach. Can we get an idea of what's going on over here? The lack of updates from you guys is kind of unprofessional and absurd.
  • JasonLucasJasonLucas ✭✭✭
    @Spacecats hi, TR is ded
  • TR is down
  • CCR5NWPMCDCCR5NWPMCD ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yeah had a 20-30 sec lag in one wipe VHNM 1st boss, then wiped twice with more 20-sec-ish lag on 2nd boss, then non-stop lag on last boss until server crashed. Every person in the raid felt it and typed it in chat, Global chat has been going on and on for who knows how long about the spikes today. This is NOT the fault of client side stuff. Fix your [filtered], EME.
  • Legend says EME is fixing it.
  • Tech is a pain in the as for us all, thats why im understanding about it specially when it is really hard to identify what is causing it , I remember having highly usage of disk thanks to the mighty Microsoft and their awesome updates, I could monitor and I would find ways to fix it , first time was the Avg resident shield once disabled would work fine till some other day skype and chrome had conflict raising my disk and cpu usage once solved that in a few weeks some updates would mess up again making me disable windows defender causing conflicts betwen other processes again eating my disk ,today all works fine but i expect new upcoming issues of course
    Lag in here in my opinion is similar at larger scales of course and other reasons but specially adding new content gets more complicated , it is a constant war with the tech ,search identify and fix till some other thing pops up causing trouble and conflicts, it happens in most games specially the oldest ones with more content or expansions those who claim new MMORPGS work perfectly give them some time tech will hit back it always does, it is never easy but they'll fix it at least for a while till they find another issues and so on.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @Geletron I have played both the Valkyrie and Velik's Fate patch during release weeks on both TERA NA and EU and the contrast in the experience was very clear. For Valkyrie release:
    - Gameforge: The Mystel Server coped fine with the number of people all levelling Valks as fast as they could to 65. They had 20 Channels live on Stepstone when the patch went live so to prevent Channel Flooding. And most importantly, there was no lag, no stutter, nothing. As far as gameplay goes, it was just another day, so normal that (aside from the number of Valkyries running around levelling) you wouldn't even realise there was an event.
    - EME: Mount Tyrannas was okay for about half an hour, whilst people were fiddling around with appearance changers, costumes and chest changers. Then boom, you knew that something was up with the lag and it only got worse. Here, as far as I'm aware, the number of channels was being dynamically increased. I managed to log into Channel 4 when there were 5, but by the time I got to the first town after killing your first BAM, I was forcibly moved to Channel 13 of 14 just from the sheer number of people that were loading in. And I'm aware that the Channel count got way higher than that. And then we know what happened for the next 24 hours or so, because it was lag central, quite literally. Chained Skill were barely working. Multi-hit-single-cast skills just flat out failed to cast at all and people were dying like this despie playing mechanics correctly all over the stop.

For Velik's Fate:
    - Gameforge: Performance-wise, the Mystel Server just operated like it was another day, aside from that people were taking on new dungeons. No lag in dungeons and no lag in Open World. I can quite happily make my Lancer tear its way quite happily through most content without a care in the world for lag. Amusingly enough, the biggest threat to the gaming experience and general performance came from players spamming Anniversary Fireworks that have only a 1 second cooldown, which would make your game crash from either not being able to draw everything or overload the RAM. Yeah.
    - EME: I don't need to say anything. It is literally playing itself out on the forums as we speak.

EDIT: Oh yeah, on EU, I am aware of 0 servers going down in the first 24 hours of the Velik's Fate patch. Over here? MT went down 2 times, FF and AV once each and the log-in server failed for an extended period of at least 5 hours. And we can add TR going down once to the 48 hours of the patch victimes as well

To think that 18 months ago, we, the NA community, used to really bash Gameforge for making the game unplayeable by restricting a lot of the important enchanting materials to the cash shop, and now we, the same NA community, can bash EME for the current games lack of playability due to lag to the point where Gameforge look quite good right now, even if it is harder to get materials on EU compared to NA. Something seriously wrong has happened in those 18 months for this to happen.

Now, I appreciate that it is generally believed that the TERA EU is smaller than the TERA NA, but IF I were a new player to TERA now looking for a smooth gaming experience today based on experience from the Valkyrie release to today, I would be going Gameforge because everything just works. In fact, if I didn't have the friends I currently have on TERA NA, I'd be long gone.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point, looking at EU, them playing with absolutely no lag or ping spikes, and i normally would not say this, but there is a limit on how cheap you can be when it comes to performance.

I implore you guys at EME, stop ignoring this topic, stop trying to change the topic like you guys are trying to do with this thread, just simply stop trying to say that there is an error with the ISP we use, or routing, etc. Just stop.

Your players, the community, what this great game runs on, is bleeding because of this constant lag and random spikes that make the game unplayable, for the past 7 months. Stop trying to act like there is nothing wrong with the servers, CAUSE THERE IS!

Invest on a new server. That is all i ask.
  • edited May 2017
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    I implore you guys at EME, stop ignoring this topic, stop trying to change the topic like you guys are trying to do with this thread, just simply stop trying to say that there is an error with the ISP we use, or routing, etc. Just stop.

Your players, the community, what this great game runs on, is bleeding because of this constant lag and random spikes that make the game unplayable, for the past 7 months. Stop trying to act like there is nothing wrong with the servers, CAUSE THERE IS!

I just don't understand why you're saying this in the one thread they've created that is specifically addressing the fact that there are problems are on their end. I mean, I understand the meme that they blame everything on ISPs and routing, but that is the exact opposite of what this thread is saying. They even explain why they say that as a first step.

I mean, like, I get it -- but the very point you're talking about is what the OP is all about.

• canikizucanikizu ✭✭✭
    It's fine. EME will start another witch hunt and ban 3rd party programs again to diverse people from the real issue.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @Geletron I have played both the Valkyrie and Velik's Fate patch during release weeks on both TERA NA and EU and the contrast in the experience was very clear. For Valkyrie release:
    - Gameforge: The Mystel Server coped fine with the number of people all levelling Valks as fast as they could to 65. They had 20 Channels live on Stepstone when the patch went live so to prevent Channel Flooding. And most importantly, there was no lag, no stutter, nothing. As far as gameplay goes, it was just another day, so normal that (aside from the number of Valkyries running around levelling) you wouldn't even realise there was an event.
    - EME: Mount Tyrannas was okay for about half an hour, whilst people were fiddling around with appearance changers, costumes and chest changers. Then boom, you knew that something was up with the lag and it only got worse. Here, as far as I'm aware, the number of channels was being dynamically increased. I managed to log into Channel 4 when there were 5, but by the time I got to the first town after killing your first BAM, I was forcibly moved to Channel 13 of 14 just from the sheer number of people that were loading in. And I'm aware that the Channel count got way higher than that. And then we know what happened for the next 24 hours or so, because it was lag central, quite literally. Chained Skill were barely working. Multi-hit-single-cast skills just flat out failed to cast at all and people were dying like this despie playing mechanics correctly all over the stop.

For Velik's Fate:
    - Gameforge: Performance-wise, the Mystel Server just operated like it was another day, aside from that people were taking on new dungeons. No lag in dungeons and no lag in Open World. I can quite happily make my Lancer tear its way quite happily through most content without a care in the world for lag. Amusingly enough, the biggest threat to the gaming experience and general performance came from players spamming Anniversary Fireworks that have only a 1 second cooldown, which would make your game crash from either not being able to draw everything or overload the RAM. Yeah.
    - EME: I don't need to say anything. It is literally playing itself out on the forums as we speak.

EDIT: Oh yeah, on EU, I am aware of 0 servers going down in the first 24 hours of the Velik's Fate patch. Over here? MT went down 2 times, FF and AV once each and the log-in server failed for an extended period of at least 5 hours.

To think that 18 months ago, we, the NA community, used to really bash Gameforge for making the game unplayeable by restricting a lot of the important enchanting materials to the cash shop, and now we, the same NA community, can bash EME for the current games lack of playability due to lag to the point where Gameforge look quite good right now, even if it is harder to get materials on EU compared to NA. Something seriously wrong has happened in those 18 months for this to happen.

Now, I appreciate that it is generally believed that the TERA EU is smaller than the TERA NA, but IF I were a new player to TERA now looking for a smooth gaming experience today based on experience from the Valkyrie release to today, I would be going Gameforge because everything just works. In fact, if I didn't have the friends I currently have on TERA NA, I'd be long gone.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't understand why you're saying this in the one thread they've created that is specifically addressing the fact that there are problems are on their end. I mean, I understand the meme that they blame everything on ISPs and routing, but that is the exact opposite of what this thread is saying. They even explain why they say that as a first step.

I mean, like, I get it -- but the very point you're talking about is what the OP is all about.

Understandable, and i get that keeping the topic civil and composed is important, but i cannot just ignore the past 6-7 months where EME never gave a statement on what was going on with the lag, latency and ping spikes. To think that when this problems started, they had the gal to say that their servers were in better shape than before, just adds to the pile.

Gathering all the feedback in this one thread i agree on, but by now i do believe there is a common consensus the players have reached to, and that is that EME should invest on a new server, rather than figuring out what is going on, which may take days, weeks, when getting a brand new server could maybe fix a majority of the issues at hand.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically from what I've seen, my theory about the server hardware being separate per task, and hence getting overloaded with hit processing requests, thus making a massive delay on all players, seems spot on.

EME team, may I callout ya @Spacecats @Geletron , I wonder if it would be possible to do the load balancing in a different way: instead of ISP changes, do hardware server balancing. As in: each server could process any dungeon or open world at any given time. So any free server can offload other servers, and no server peaks CPU usage, killing off the massive dungeon jams that happen recently on the most popular content.

More on my theory here: https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/comment/142824/#Comment_142824

Would be quite nice to have an insight on this, if I'm right on the workings of things and if this would be a viable work around for the lag issue.
    You never know, sometimes these suggestions might help a lot
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    clfarron4 wrote: »
    @Geletron Apparently comments disappear if you edit them too much. So have a screenshot of what I originally said.

http://i.imgur.com/0WbuFQM.png

Alternative, you can use the Forum archive. Same happened to my post, where i just wanted to edit a small grammar mistake, and then it just poofed, but here it is again:

Understandable, and i get that keeping the topic civil and composed is important, but i cannot just ignore the past 6-7 months where EME never gave a statement on what was going on with the lag, latency and ping spikes. To think that when this problems started, they had the gal to say that their servers were in better shape than before, just adds to the pile.

Gathering all the feedback in this one thread i agree on, but by now i do believe there is a common consensus the players have reached to, and that is that EME should invest on a new server, rather than foguring out what is going on, which may take days, weeks, when getting a brand new server could maybe fix a majority of the issues at hand.