[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Patience with newer/ unskilled players

Comments

• Haggard86Haggard86 ✭✭✭✭
    It would be an impossible challenge for my brawler as it still has some starfall gear on it :x
  • Brawler has less aggro gen than lancer yeah, should still be able to hold aggro glyphing Growing fury aggro and using 1 threatening though
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    Brawler has less aggro gen than lancer
    This is why lancer is best tank IMO
  • YitharYithar ✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »
    @TankyHealer can confirm everything. Made a Lancer for some actual tanking not just DPSing front (sorry Brawlers just had to poke a bit, don't take it seriously), and yes it's a whole different perspective.

I usually do new dungeons 1st on DPS, then heal last tank. The 3 perspectives are completely different, and really change how you see each task.
    I would even say that tanking is harder than healing, but this is partially because of my quite big experience as both a PVP and PVE healer, and pretty low experience as a tanker. So that's not so much of a point.

I'll also tanking is the hardest due to it being the most engaging out of the 3. Basically you need the know the boss well to time your blocks correctly. I started out tanking with my static and they didn't care I was bad so I learned fights starting with tank and I'd switch to DPS or healer later on.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haggard86 wrote: »
    It would be an impossible challenge for my brawler as it still has some starfall gear on it :x

I actually tripped over a SF brawler in VH NM. Guy tanked so good, I almost followed him home.
  • kknaexkknaex ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Join a guild that can help u, u play MMO not single player games, MMO exists for a reason.
  • MinazukiMinazuki ✭✭✭
    Ignore them, only people who lack of self confidence would criticize other a lot. They are trying to find some confidence form it = =
    Find the class POV of the dungeon you trying to learn help better than find a random one. If no could ask in general chat or forums, some nice people answer you.

When you play MMO you need to learn ignore some people. They are not here for fun, there are here for work, every min or even sec is... important to them = =
  • Minazuki wrote: »
    Ignore them, only people who lack of self confidence would criticize other a lot. They are trying to find some confidence form it = =
    Find the class POV of the dungeon you trying to learn help better than find a random one. If no could ask in general chat or forums, some nice people answer you.

When you play MMO you need to learn ignore some people. They are not here for fun, there are here for work, every min or even sec is... important to them = =

most people do not have the time or patience for people that are new or unskilled that and a huge number of noobs do not listen to advice at all and are complete jerks about it. this is coming for someone who has played for 3 years
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan0487 wrote: »
    Minazuki wrote: »

most people do not have the time or patience for people that are new or unskilled that and a huge number of noobs do not listen to advice at all and are complete jerks about it. this is coming for someone who has played for 3 years

This part of the community is what we're telling him to avoid and how to do so. Have come across a number of both types, the noobs who just literally troll you or are rude idiots when you tell them anything or ask anything, and the ones that think they're supreme gods of the game that were born knowing all.
    A big part of the community is still receptive of newcomers.

This coming from someone who has player for 3 years too.
  • BabitBabit ✭✭
    Just dont say anything at the statt of a dungeon and you will probably have better results. I just went through what you described having started playing almost 4 months ago and now im one of the better zerks on my server. When you start a dungeon off by saying how bad you are everyone is going to focus on your mistakes and be much more agitated than if you were just another br that cant speak english. If someone says something about your performance thats when you tell then youre still learning and youre sorry
  • HaloistHaloist ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Babit wrote: »
    Just dont say anything at the statt of a dungeon and you will probably have better results. I just went through what you described having started playing almost 4 months ago and now im one of the better zerks on my server. When you start a dungeon off by saying how bad you are everyone is going to focus on your mistakes and be much more agitated than if you were just another br that cant speak english. If someone says something about your performance thats when you tell then youre still learning and youre sorry

You may have had a different experience, but this isn't what you should do really. Everyone thinks differently, sure, but you should always be prepared for the worst case scenario, which is that everyone else in the party expects you to be able to pull your own weight.
    With this in mind, which of these two scenarios would your party members focus more on your mistakes: when you tell them you're bad, or when you don't tell them? It should be a no-brainer that they're more likely to focus on your mistakes if you DON'T tell them that you're bad, since they're EXPECTING you to be able to carry your own weight, and when you start messing up a lot, doubts will start forming in their heads. However, if you tell them you're bad at the beginning, they could just go like "It's just another newbie, moving on". Not to mention you will just sound like a sarcastic troll if you only tell them you're still learning when they start questioning you.

If you still can't understand, then let me use a real-life example. Imagine you're a newbie consultant at a professional firm, and you just got assigned to a client. Expectations are high since your firm is well known, so you know you have a standard to uphold, but you also know that you're a newbie and will be prone to mistakes.
    What do you do then? Keep quiet first, and then when things go south, tell your client you're new and expect them to not be pissed and not nitpick at every minor detail? Or be honest with your client, so that they know what to EXPECT from you, and when you make mistakes, they'll be more likely to empathise and understand. This is just basic psychology.

Moral of the story: Everyone has expectations when queuing for dungeons through IMS, regardless of what YOU think they should expect. Make it clear that you're new at the beginning so that their expectations are lowered, and thus less likely to nitpick on your mistakes.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @Haloist just did BRNM on Lancer, after quite a long time without playing lancer. Entered an LFG (so not random queue) asking before entering if it was OK with an unexperienced tank, albeit I know the dungeon well enough. Sure enough, expectations were as I set, 1st and 3rd boss went better than I expected myself (and party), and second was horrible in my opinion but party nevertheless went OK with it. Great run, all nice.

In other hand ran TSNM from LFG this morning, no one said they were new or anything, some potato rushed into the 3rd ball when we were attacking 1st one, mobs spawned, people scattered, still taking damage over hits on 1st ball, I was heal, managed to hold this complete BS of a 1st boss (ye, spheres are 1st boss in Timescape, honestly) for like 5 minutes until couldn't avoid mobs while healing and it all went south with a wipe - on spheres.
    Easily avoided if that creature were to say "Hey I'm new". I would have just told the mechanics in a snap like I always friggin do when people say they're new in Timescape or any dungeon I know, and no kicks no [filtered] no nothing. BUT he just had to hide it, and then complain that it ended like that. Really.

Edit: really, eme, change this stupid filter. I mean plural of ball is locked???? "HURR DURR MEN HAVE 2 OF THEM" yeah, look, I just mentioned the part that you wanted to hide. But had to edit it in text when I just meant the friggin spheres in Timescape.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babit wrote: »

And this is the fastest way to get kicked out of any party I'm in.
  • Tera should create a more expansive catalog of written resources to help new players with end game dungeons
  • Tera should create a more expansive catalog of written resources to help new players with end game dungeons

While that would be helpful, the real problem is the massive skill level difference from leveling dungeons, 2 Star > 3 Star, I feel like Tera loses a very large number of newer players with this jump. Even though the jump from 3 > 4 or 5 may be as large and difficult, people are much more prepared for those jumps and the difficulties with the learning curve they are soon to experience.

Currently :

2 Star = You need to know nothing about your class, at all. Show up and get lewts.

3 Star = You need to know what a I frame is and Yes your class has one. You need to know your dps rotation and have semi ok rolls on your gear. You need to know mechs at least somewhat. GASP, you may need to communicate at some point in this dungeon as well. In other words you cannot be a complete shtlord. For the casual player, the jump is so massive from 2 to 3 star that they simply have no chance without being in a guild or very determined.

Currently: Create Character > Faceroll Dungeons for a day or two depending on class > Quests / Bams / 2 star instances for Guile. At no point has a casual needed to look at a guide or read a tool tip.

Then casual new Tera player queues up for 3 star instance. Finally after 33 mins the queue pops, shortly after entering he / she is booted. Because our newb casual has no clue of what is really going on in many cases he or she just thinks that the game bugged (because ONE thing is for damn sure they have encountered bugs while leveling), so innocently he or she queues up again. This time they begin the dungeon and wipe on the first boss. Everyone is now yelling at them asking why they did not heal !! "But I threw red [filtered] and I dropped a totem, what more do you want I am not a priest." New player is booted for not knowing his or her class or the instance.

How many more times does new player x try this before they either:

Find a guild to teach them
    Discover Essential Mana
    Give up on 3 Star and above instances because they are for "pros".
    Rage quit

Progression should be a lot smoother starting with the level 60 glyph dungeons and steadily increasing in difficulty to make the transition from 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 as smooth as possible.

Once you are consistently good at a 2 star dungeon you should be prepared to make the jump to 3 star, but a new player in many cases simply is not. In other words this game goes from being no challenge at all to even the weakest of players to a seemingly insurmountable challenge to average / new / lazy players.

* My suggestion is increased difficulty for Glyph dungeons and 2 star dungeons to create a more seamless progression for newer players.

DO NOT JUST BUFF HP POOLS.