[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

No Name Selling/Trading Allowed

Because this is a policy that hasn't been expressly stated or enforced in the past, no warnings will be issued to people that have posted name selling threads in the past. That said, any name selling/trading posts after this point will be considered a violation of the forum rules and WILL result in moderation. Please don't post them. This has been added to the Forum Rules & Guidelines.

Why the change:

Name selling is, in general, a shady business that we don't encourage. Making a character with the sole intention of holding on to the name for later sale is frowned upon. It's very difficult to regulate. It constitutes player agreements that aren't enforced by the mechanics of TERA like a typical item trade. They're prone to scam, which not only means a terrible experience for honest players, but leads to time-sinks for Customer Support team, often resulting in situations where their hands are tied and said honest players are completely out of luck.

Comments

• VyolVyol ✭✭✭
    Will there be a name clean up again ?
    Or another question, if we see the name being sold, is there a possibility to unlock that name or smth like that ?
  • Or another question, if we see the name being sold, is there a possibility to unlock that name or smth like that ?

They wouldn't know if the name wanting to be sold is actually active or not.
  • Is this just for the forums or tera in general? I still see people in game spamming global/area/alliance chat trying to sell or buy names.
  • SpacecatsSpacecats ✭✭✭✭✭
    StarSprite wrote: »
    Is this just for the forums or tera in general? I still see people in game spamming global/area/alliance chat trying to sell or buy names.

Just for the forums. I'd like to keep the Trading Post active for items and things like that.
  • SpacecatsSpacecats ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or another question, if we see the name being sold, is there a possibility to unlock that name or smth like that ?

That's correct, we wouldn't know. And in any case, just because someone is selling a name in-game, it doesn't mean they aren't using it.
  • sebasssebass ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Spacecats wrote: »
    Because this is a policy that hasn't been expressly stated or enforced in the past,

Considering the old GMs are the ones that made the original name trade posts, kind of a weird way to word it as if its always been against the rules.
  • MuiMui ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I hope this rule gets enforced in-game as well. And it's not because it's a "shady business. If you choose to engage in this sort of unregulated exchange, you are (presumably) prepared to accept the consequences of a deal gone wrong. I take issue with the fact that it degrades the TERA experience for the rest of us, especially those who role-play.

Name trading/selling encourages the indiscriminate hoarding of names for the sake of profit, even if they don't personally find value in it themselves. If it might seem like it's worth something to someone else, they'll take it. And so they hurry and take as many names as possible in hopes of making a bit of gold on the side. But half the time, the names don't even get sold or traded. They just sit in the player's accounts as a LVL 1 character, completely unused, leaving the rest of us at the Character Creation screen with nothing decent to pick.

So yeah, kudos to En Masse for taking this step in the right direction.
  • VyolVyol ✭✭✭

Yeah but if you send them a screenshot with "wts name" ya know
    Then they see if it's open for trade or not ~
  • PantsuPantsu ✭✭
    This won't stop name sellers, but it will keep the forums looking neater. (=
  • BreetizmBreetizm ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this is the right place to ask. But has there been any plans on doing a forum name wipe?
  • EmojiEmoji ✭✭
    Spacecats wrote: »
    StarSprite wrote: »
    Is this just for the forums or tera in general? I still see people in game spamming global/area/alliance chat trying to sell or buy names.

Just for the forums. I'd like to keep the Trading Post active for items and things like that.

srry dear spacecats but just because you dont like it means we have to stick to it. if you wont deal with ppl creating 10 accounts to take every cool name for lvl 1 characters(that wont be ever played) id say you start thinking of plan B.
  • Will there be a name clean up again ?

Tera should have one considering the fact that most people held the names for forumn-selling.
    Now that its not allowed, the names should be released.
    There are players who dont even play this game anymore but their account have saved names for selling, preventing others from using it.
  • edited May 2016
    WitchyGirl 3:00AM
    Mahou_Shounen;781" said:
    Will there be a name clean up again ?
    Tera should have one considering the fact that most people held the names for forumn-selling.
    Now that its not allowed, the names should be released.
    There are players who don't even play this game anymore but their account have saved names for selling, preventing others from using it.

The problem with simply releasing names so soon is that if they do it as they did last year, "Characters not active for a year will have their names released if not logged on in the next month." is so many names were taken, that very few names would get released, and those that people never logged onto but saved for selling/future use are most likely still active players who can just log over. It wont be as big of a name release as people would be hoping for.

As a side note, It's not that it's "Not allowed" as in "In-general it's not allowed, it's just "not allowed on the forums", we can still sell names in-game if we so chose, it's best just to be careful of who you are buying from. If the person looks shady, or is acting shady about how too pay him, walk away.

All-in-all, If EnMasse decides to do a straight out ban of name selling, I'll just use the good names I have on alts and release the others.
  • VyolVyol ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I dislike name selling. I'm really hopeing for the Name Echo, and I know the person who sells it, but I'm not gonna pay 50k just for a Name and I think it's a [filtered]*y thing to do, holding back names just to make money out of it.

But yeah you're right. But I think everyone that has a lvl 1 character with a name shouldnt keep that name for over a month tbh, because it's lvl 1 and the character isn't deleted, the name is just gone .. ya know
  • Mahou_Shounen 8:12AM edited 8:13AM
    I dislike name selling. I'm really hopeing for the Name Echo, and I know the person who sells it, but I'm not gonna pay 50k just for a Name and I think it's a [filtered]*y thing to do, holding back names just to make money out of it.

But yeah you're right. But I think everyone that has a lvl 1 character with a name shouldn't keep that name for over a month tbh, because it's lvl 1 and the character isn't deleted, the name is just gone .. ya know

I have a level 1 character, actually 3, with names, and someday when I get less lazy I will level them, I just don't have a need for a priest and 2 brawlers right now.

Also everyone has an opinion on selling names, I have names I want that I didn't get that someone wants me to pay 1,000,000 gold for and I'm currently saving up to pay out with. 50k for a name that is decent that becomes yours for the rest of your tera days is decent, most costumes that are new or semi-new average 75-150k for the loot-box versions after all. But like I said, everyone has their own opinions.