[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Ways to improve TERA

Comments

• Add 30 minute blue nocs into the game.
  • MaiiyuMaiiyu ✭✭
    Other than Optimization which is probably the top answer for this thread, I would say better new player introduction into the game. It is just so confusing for new players to follow the game specially once they hit 65, even I was a returning player and decided to level a sorc to 65 and got semi-lost. :(
  • I am fairly new to Tera, about month and half since I started. I find myself playing about 30 minutes a day now, mostly on lowbies, compared to hours when I started. What is currently driving me away is farming/grinding. I thought Tera was supposed to be open world MMO. I was expecting many high level zones where you can grind for stuff, some should be BAMs for groups and stuff. It is funny how at the beginning in the lower levels you get ton of drops, both solo and in dungeons, but as you get to a higher level, there is none. It is all tied to rewards from dailies and drops from dungeons. So to me it gets boring real fast. Login and repeat all the dailies. Once you are done, there is no more incentive to play, since mobs do not drop anything.

What I would like to see in Tera is content where you can group with your friends to do. It should not be too easy, but not too hard too. Just a little bit of grind to chill with friends, or guildies. It should be somewhat rewarding too. Dungeons do not count, as most of the time in the dungeon is fighting bosses and that is not a good time to chill. Too fast paced.
  • I would like more guild control features, it'd be helpful if I could appoint other members the ability to remove players from the guild in cases where i can't log in and prevent the guild from stagnating.

I'd also like it if they removed all the invisible walls that added recently because it killed a ton of exploration and by not alowing me to fly over certain mountains int he center of a map you're removing the whole point of fast flying mounts if i still have to take the same amount of time to fly around the damn thing as if I were just walking.

Optimization is lovely too

more story and lore please. make it make sense again. Give us something to do other than idle while waiting for ques and kill X amount of boring mobs.

This game used to have a lot of fun things to do like the old outfits and dye system that got replaced. give me some basic stuff to do, some mini games or something.

Maybe add some kind of collectable card game in to the game we could collect to play with each other during down time? kind of liek triple triad or tetra magic in final fantasy 8 and 9?

How about more fun stuff obtainable in game like mounts and costumes you only get after large quests?

There's a vast world in tera that is literally doing nothing. Most maps are completely empty.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spacecats wrote: »
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    In all honesty, an updated character creation window would bring TONS of players, new and returning. Just add body sliders and much more customization options, like ability to mix and match ears, tails, and hairstyle for elins. Same for castanic, and more horn types for amani male, more hairstyles and makeup options for femani, the list goes on.

I'm curious why you think body sliders and more customization options would bring in tons of new players. Can you elaborate? Presumably a new player would have no idea what the preexisting customization options were, so they would all be new to them anyway.

Sure thing, good that you ask.

When TERA was out of the bag, everyone was very excited. We could only see gameplay videos and whatever the old BHS team would tease. We knew TERA was a gorgeous game just from the clips. When TERA released in NA, its character customization system was rich, for that time, which was 5 years ago. Being able to customize almost every aspect of the face to make a unique look was, and still is, a huge selling point for many players.

Why you ask? Customization allows the player to be more in dept with its character. You can create something unique, something that screams "This is ME" , something that will make other players instantly recognize you. That is the beauty of a rich and deep character customization.

With so many new titles coming out, customization is taken a lot more interest. It has to be attractive and intuitive, after all, it is the first thing you see before jumping into the action, so you just gotta have the best looks possible naturally.

New players would be amazed at how the character customization of the game they chose is, and returning players would also be even more amazed for seeing the game they left, evolving into something new and beautiful. Even more if all of this, or 95% of this options are free (do not make the same mistake that Vindictus made). The other 5% can probably be some vanity stuff available through the shop. Who knows, maybe you just finished making a character that looks exactly just like you, but you just need that vanity item in the shop to complete the looks, so it is a win win for you, the player, and for the publishers/developers.

But rich character customization is not just about adding all the possible sliders there is. Take for example Black Desert Online. Currently it has the deepest and richest character customization ever created. You can go into every possible detail. However, this can be a pro and a con at the same time. It is a pro because players can literally spend hours creating something they like and feel comfortable with with the vast amount of options the character creator gives you, but is also a con, because too many options can be overwhelming and confusing.

Now back to TERA, a good example of why an upgraded character customization would be a huge QoL change that would bring some players back and attract new ones. Please forgive me for this but in order to explain it as detailed as i can, i must discuss 3rd party stuff, more specifically, mods. It is against the rules yes, but you will see why I have to discuss it.

We will use Elins and Popori as our primary example. Long ago a question surged in the playerbase: Why elins hair was of different color than the fur on her hears and tail? Shouldn't they be the same? It sounds logical right? A person took the matter on his hands, and made the very first mod that allowed elins to have the fur color on her ears and tail, match the hair color. Lets be honest, they look way better once you match the colors of the fur and the hair. To this day, people wonder why such an easy to make mod, as the author stated, wasn't an actual official thing that BHS could make for the game. (3rd party modifications discussion end)

Next you have poporis. They can change their tail regardless of what animal type (head) they choose. You can be a dog with the tail of a bunny. If poporis can do this, why elins cannot? even tho there are some NPC elins, the Teleport Master to be specific, that have a fox tail with bunny ears?

These are just some details that if implemented in an updated character creation system, would make things just much comfortable for players. As i stated, the list goes on, i could make a huge list here, but it would probably need a separate post, on what QoL changes should be added to the character creation screen to make it appealing top new players before they jump into action, and to make it fun to use for older and returning players.

Giving players a nice facing before the actual content is always a good strategy to hype them up, to allow them to use their imagination to create something unique to them, and roleplayers would be extremely happy i bet, as they would have a lot more variety to customize their characters with.

This is all i can elaborate for now @Spacecats, but i could make that list i mentioned above if you would like.
  • I see people mentioning optimization. But you have to realize the game's engine is around 10 years old now. It's as optimized as it's going to get. IMO if BHS were smart, they would just kill off TERA and give us TERA 2. A new game with a more modern engine. That way you can have optimization for more modern hardware as well as a plethora of the suggestions listed above implemented.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    it is why we say in black desert we take 5 hours to create our character and only one hour to play B)

and also why armor in black desert suck, at least in tera the default armor change when we level up
    Take for example Black Desert Online. Currently it has the deepest and richest character customization ever created. You can go into every possible detail. However, this can be a pro and a con at the same time. It is a pro because players can literally spend hours creating something they like and feel comfortable with with the vast amount of options the character creator gives you, but is also a con, because too many options can be overwhelming and confusing.

it is only half true, i cant change b00b for the tamer, i am unable to made same face for my dark knight with my sorceress face

but yes character creator in black desert is more advanced than in the sims or bioware rpg
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    treocsx15 wrote: »
    I see people mentioning optimization. But you have to realize the game's engine is around 10 years old now. It's as optimized as it's going to get. IMO if BHS were smart, they would just kill off TERA and give us TERA 2. A new game with a more modern engine. That way you can have optimization for more modern hardware as well as a plethora of the suggestions listed above implemented.

Let current Tera without optimizations and new content and give us Tera: The Age of Titans with new graphics engine., new Arc with the nemesis of Arun and Shara and new lvl cap, revamped crafting system and more mini-content to pass the day afk for those who only plays for the looks of the game.

We don't need so many BGs, only make 2 well rounded BGs with a better matching system, enought solo content for those lonely souls that are lost somewhere and dungeons like the lvl 20-64 we had before dungeons in Tera became a straight path on the map.

I remember how I liked when you could choose 2 diferent paths to reach the final boss in the dungeon and even some dungeons with tps that gave you a third way to reach the end of it.

Oh! and don't forget to make even cuter Elin and Sexiest Castanics on that, you can farsake all the males from there if you want :3
  • ViauxiViauxi ✭✭✭
    Bring back the Nexus.

Bring back 10-20 man raid content.

Make a male variant of every new class that has released. There is literally no excuse for this laziness, I don't care what anyone says.

Make a male variant of every costume that has released. Ever.

Stop ignoring people who want to play as a dude in general. Why do this? Seriously it blows my mind.

Make tanks tank again instead of being a glorified DPS from the front.

Buff BAMS again so they are...you know....scary like they used to be?

Remove 90% of the shameless rng lootbox garbage from the cash shop.

Make VM gear great again. It means literally nothing nowadays it's so easy to get.

Seriously, AV is dead AF, do something about it.

Add class change service to the cash shop...

Remove that stupid [filtered] tier spender ("""loyalty""") system you picked up from Nexon and Aeria Games.

Bring back the old dailies and modernize them. They can exist along with the vanguard system. This will provide a significant boost in available solo content for people who just want to run around the world and do things.

Remove almost all non-lore/fantasy based mounts and costumes (police uniforms and cars and other BS) and replace them with lore/tera themed costumes. Some things can be an exception like school uniforms or swimsuits (because every mmo has to has these nowadays...) It is impossible to get immersed in the world and lore of TERA with all this [filtered] running around. If I were to play TERA as it is today for the first time I would be immediately turned off by it. This game has no identity with all these idiotic outfits people are wearing.

Remove avatar weapons and make lower level content relevant again. Many won't like this one, but I don't care if you don't like leveling or if this is your 15th alt, boohoo. This is an MMO. If you want to level up in 12 hours then buy the instant-60 item from the cash shop. Games like GW2, FF14 and ESO are still relevant for a reason and I can tell you one thing, it isn't because they made is 27x easier to level up so you can skip 96% of the game. I bet 75% of the current playerbase have never even seen the majority of zones in this game. I'm not saying it has to go back to being as grindy as it use to, but it is just TOO EASY nowadays and Av weapons are mostly the reason this is the case.

Make a new expansion with fresh zones instead of making the 468th new class. New classes will never bring new players. New CONTENT will bring new players and keep current players invested for much LONGER. This is what Korean developers don't understand. They make 100 new classes and wonder why they don't gain any new players or media attention. This is why. this is why westernized MMOs like GW2 ESO WOW and even FFXIV focus on releasing new expansions instead of a new generic class or dungeon every 4 months.

Stop with the power creep. Seriously. Once again if you didn't make 96% of your base game irrelevant, there would be no need for power to creep as fast as it does. Remember when 1.5m crits were ridiculously large damage? Umm yeah...........

Cut the value of cash items on the market place in half, or better yet, 3/4th. The prices are so high its insane. I remember when a appearance voucher was only 10k, now they are 40k. It's a huge Pay2win element, straight up. Point blank. It turns players away from the game.

There, now you have restored the integrity of TERA as a proper mmorpg.
    Too bad this is all fantasy. I should just retire......
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viauxi wrote: »

Remove almost all non-lore/fantasy based mounts and costumes (police uniforms and cars and other BS) and replace them with lore/tera themed costumes. Some things can be an exception like school uniforms or swimsuits (because every mmo has to has these nowadays...) It is impossible to get immersed in the world and lore of TERA with all this [filtered] running around. If I were to play TERA as it is today for the first time I would be immediately turned off by it. This game has no identity with all these idiotic outfits people are wearing.

they cant, people already spent thousands $ to buy it, if they remove all this stuff thousands customers will be very mad against bhs to lost a lot $$$$, so bhs will take the risk of big class suit from those customers and a very bad reputation among the gamers communities
  • ItzMiraiItzMirai Portugal ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    One thing we can basically say from the start is that Tera has definitely become ridiculously easy to casual players, specially when it comes to leveling and gearing up.

With all the vanguard quests you get right from the moment you leave Stepstone Island you get as much XP as if you did all the normal quests in the area, meaning you leave the zone much faster. As @Viauxi said before, I doubt most of the current playerbase even knows half of the world map and that's a great loss for a game as beautiful and diverse (in zone types/designs) as Tera. I remember when I created my 1st character (almos 3 years ago) doing every single quest there was, not because I exactly needed but because it was fun and although some were, indeed, boring and with no relevance, they brought a certain continuation and made you explore the areas you were in. Now quests were removed, the story lost some of it's logical continuation (let's be honest here, some cutscenes don't make sense anymore when we take in account the story in the new starting area) and main quests give way too much XP and rewards to make you skip entire areas of the map completly. The only reason I'm going around in my new characters is because I like achievement hunting, otherwise nothing makes me want to go out and explore outside of these box/hunting events.

And when I talk about rewards here I mean mostly the tokens. All these tokens you get as you're leveling are ridiculous. I understand you may want to get your gear faster but that is exactly what is wrong with the game at the moment, all you want to do is get gear to make harder stuff and reach 65 faster. Tera is too much focused on endgame, which is wrong and takes away the base the game completly and the spirit of an MMO.

The desperate need of tokens also comes from the fact that there's less and less people running low level dungeons, which is caused by how easy it is to get gear and level so you don't have to run them. It's a cycle and IMO not a good one. It may be much easier for someone leveling alts (I do appreciate it atm but I always feel like something is missing) but for a new player all this casual friendly stuff takes away a lot of experiences you had in the game some time ago, all the fun in exploring and such.

Then you have the basically useless gathering and crafting system. Those things were some of the only that kept you busy even in max level while you're waiting for Qs or simply have nothing to do. Now these are mostly useless because, then again, the things you did craft are either irrelevant or easily obtained through some other methods.

Another thing that was mentioned before and I completly agree on is BRING BACK relevance to daily quests/Reputation with the different parties around the world. I'm doing those quests and tbh I only do them for the achievements, which is sad. These features were added with a purpose back in the day and as time went by they were left completly forgotten. No updates to them, to their rewards, no nothing. Doing these or not is irrelevant to the game and that's wrong. If you have a feature, especially one that can be appreciated by people who like to play solo, why not try to bring something exciting to those. As they are now they may as well not be there.

One thing you need to consider when thinking on how to keep people in the game is that not all the new things have to be complex systems and quests/dungeons. Sometimes simple things can be way more fun and entertaining that stuff you need to sweat for. I may be contradicting myself when saying this when I just mentioned Tera is way to casual friendly but we do need some relaxing stuff to do once in a while. Bring in some mini games, some collecting stuff, idk. Endgame is boring for people that don't want to grind 24/7.

On another note, I really have mixed feeling when it comes to the new Island of Dawn (mostly probably because I loved the old area so much and spent so much time in there). I mean, it's great that we got a "new" solo area but for that to be only consisted of BAMs and the quests there related to that is... the use is questionable, really. Solo content is great but I really don't think this was the best way to implement something like that, specially in an area so, let's say, dear to older players (I may be completly biased on this one but bear with me).

Also, before I forget, I believe this was mentioned before, please make the mobs drop something significant. Actually, just make them drop SOMETHING. Having quests to simply kill 'x' BAMs is pretty sad by itself but killing them to get nothing in return except for when you complete a quest is obsolete. Figure out something that can be used as drops for when you kill mobs at high level. At low level you get all these drops (yes, I know it's mostly alkahest and feedstock but it's something!). Create something that you can ONLY obtain IN GAME (NOT PURCHASABLE WITH EMP please) while killing mobs. Put mobs that have a very rare change to drop a mount, a pet or something when you kill them, some kind of REWARD for actually killing those besides using Vanguard Requests as an excuse not to have any loot.

Oh, and please, PLEASE! STOP adding stuff to Tera that takes away from the immersiong of the game. Race cars, nonsense constumes? What's done already is done and they can be pretty cool and all that but really, if you wanted a modern style MMO, this one's not it, go add those kind of things somewhere else.

For sure though, I love Tera and although I've been coming and going from the game I have no intention of stopping anytime soon, so I would really like to see it develop in a way that can be enjoyable to both new and older players.

TL;DR
    Tera is, sadly, all about endgame atm, making people rush to get to 65 and forgetting the fact that it is, in fact, an MMO with an amazing word to explore that is being completly useless because of how easy it is to get everything in the game and reach 65 and just farm your way to get best gear until next patch.
    As cheesy as it may sound, tera is an excellent world with so many opportunities to create great stuff intead of the same old new class+new(old) dungeon blah blah blah.
  • Stuff eme can do:
    -Stable Servers
    -Events that dont break economy (i mean, come on, theres more than feestock and alka to give as rewards)
    -PvP tournaments ( cant make a private server to host the tournament? Just use IMS and see what happens).
    - Make doing endgame worth (currently VSHM literally makes u loose money. VSNM is more profitable than VSHM)
    - Stable servers again (I know at least 5 ppl who stopped playing bc of lag spikes)
    - Stop doing events that kill the patch cycle. (if u do d drop or events like the vhnm one, ppl gear faster and get bored faster).

Stuff BHS can do:
    -Content. Lol, 2 instances every 6 or 7 months isnt ok, even less ok when 1 or the 2 instances is an "mid tier dg"
    -DS4. I dont know any endgame pve player that doesnt want DSU back.
    -Bring back FWC un equalized
    - Bring back cruzades, but with improved features. Pve ladders should be highscore only. Spamming CW X16 every day doesnt make u good.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    In all honesty, an updated character creation window would bring TONS of players, new and returning. Just add body sliders and much more customization options, like ability to mix and match ears, tails, and hairstyle for elins. Same for castanic, and more horn types for amani male, more hairstyles and makeup options for femani, the list goes on.

I'm curious why you think body sliders and more customization options would bring in tons of new players. Can you elaborate? Presumably a new player would have no idea what the preexisting customization options were, so they would all be new to them anyway.

Black Desert Online attracted some players strictly over their character creation and even allowed you to download it before the game was released and use it independently for creative purposes; they even had events around the character creation pre-release. The ability to have detailed control over appearance is something developers do not appreciate much when it comes to MMORPGs, which part of that is due to more customization=more work for the devs. Partly why Tera doesn't allow variety is because it would cause a lot of work, even simply increasing the height or thighs causes issues for some costumes already. Developers can actually get away with gender lock as long as there is enough between both genders and you can deeply customize the options. Characters in MMORPGs is like an extension of someone's personality, which is why they end up disappointed when the character creation is lacking. Race, appearance and gender changers do sell for a reason, because people value how their character looks.

If BHS ever were going to update a portion of the game, excluding the obvious optimization, the first thing I would ask is for the character creation and cosmetic systems be overhauled/updated to meet more modern standards.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yamazuki wrote: »

Black Desert Online attracted some players strictly over their character creation and even allowed you to download it before the game was released and use it independently for creative purposes; they even had events around the character creation pre-release. The ability to have detailed control over appearance is something developers do not appreciate much when it comes to MMORPGs, which part of that is due to more customization=more work for the devs. Partly why Tera doesn't allow variety is because it would cause a lot of work, even simply increasing the height or thighs causes issues for some costumes already. Developers can actually get away with gender lock as long as there is enough between both genders and you can deeply customize the options. Characters in MMORPGs is like an extension of someone's personality, which is why they end up disappointed when the character creation is lacking. Race, appearance and gender changers do sell for a reason, because people value how their character looks.

If BHS ever were going to update a portion of the game, excluding the obvious optimization, the first thing I would ask is for the character creation and cosmetic systems be overhauled/updated to meet more modern standards.

but in tera you dont need to wait 24 hours to delete your character if you are unhappy with ;)