Ways to improve TERA

Comments

• ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spacecats So i decided to write the list i talked about. @Yamazuki put it very clear why it is important to have a rich character customization, if my opinion above did not convinced you.

Keep in mind that this is what i personally think that should be implemented in what regards to character customization as a whole, and not just the initial customization screen. Lets start by the actual initial Character Customization Screen:

- Keep face customization like it is.
    - Add Body customization tailored for TERA. Remove the in game sliders and integrate them into the actual customization system, while adding also Body type, hand size, Arms, legs, and many more.
    - More variety of face decorations, tattoos, jewelry, eye color, eye type, lip color.
    - More variety of hairstyles.
    - Aman and Castanic: More variety of Horns.
    - Elins: Matching hair color with fur color of ears and tail.
    - Elins: Mix and match hairstyle, ears and tail.
    - Popori: More variety on fur types, fluffier or not so fluffy
    - More variety on hair colors. Option to choose 2 different hair colors. Highlights.
    - More skin tones for every race. Darker skin tones for elin and elfs.
    - Option to choose starting clothing.
    - Option to choose different idle animations.
    - Baraka: Option to choose different "Tree" marks for body.

The list can be bigger, but this are the ones of the top of my head right now. Now lets move on what can be done in game once our character is made:

- Apparel customization: Re introduce and integrate the old Remodeling System into the Fashion Coupons: All armors bought through the Fashion Coupons can be "Dismantled", to mix and match with other dismantled armors, and fuse back together as a new armor with the looks you desire. Everything would cost Fashion Coupons. Ex: Armor A(500 coupons)+Armor B(300 Coupons)+Armor C(100 coupons)+ Dismantling tool(200 coupons)+Fusing Template(1000 Coupons) = Your own unique armor and style.
    - Armor Customization: Make more parts of armors and costumes, dyable. Sometimes there is that gold lining that we dont like in or red armor, and we just wish to change it to other color.
    - Weapon Customization: Make dyable weapons and as above, ability to mix and match different parts of weapons into your own unique template. Ex: Mix and match a Lance with a different shield, color both to your liking. Cost Fashion Coupons.
    - Toggle for certain parts of the body. Ex: Toggle for femani to swich from lady like feet, to original stompers. Toggle for castanic, elin, amani, to make their racial treats (horns and animal ears) poke through, be visible when wearing hats instead of vanishing into thin air. Toggle for hair to stay the same or be changed by specific hats.
    - Social Emotes: Special emotes that allow you to interact with other players.
    - Speaking of interaction, Option to interact with enviroment: Be able to sit on actual seats, lie down, relax in Velika Blue Wagon next to a mug of beer and actually drink it. (yes, Social aspects are also considered part of the character customization)
    - Toggle for switching in between Fashion Sets: Make a set with your favorite armor and cahs shop accessories, and be able to change on the go with the press of a button to your cash shop set, instead of having to remove every costume and accessory everytime you wish to use new ones. Set slots could be sold for EMP.
    - Barber Shop (Long requested since like 3 years ago): Say you have an appearance changer, but dont wanna log out to the character customization screen to use it. Barber shop would fix that, allowing you to preview changes you want to make to your character appearance, and if you have already the voucher, being able to apply the changes IN GAME instead of passing through a loading screen.
    - Name Customization: Ability to be able to change color of your name or each character in your name, or even change the font, and more stuff.

So far, this i all everything from the top of my head, and what i think would be pretty decent QoL changes for our current character customization.
    I only hope this can be relayed to BHS and in the near future, see at least 1 of the things above, made into a thing.
  • KiraboshiKiraboshi ✭✭✭
    BHS doesn't care what we think.
  • DarJirDarJir ✭✭
    Native support for 3rd party improvement. Super fans install them on 3rd party and risk ban. Window shoppers normal fans see it's not native and just play other games that have it native. BnS, which makes more money than TERA. WoW, which makes more money than TERA. Even BDO gets better steam numbers, and that game is trash for pve. And none of those games are actually significantly better than TERA. Shame.

Less rng bs in cash shop. Chill with the gambling boxes. I'm not going to buy them, and putting stuff I want in them is just a source of annoyance. And my stance on it certainly isn't unique.

Steam sale to get a spike in interest. Really easy way to get more views on the format, and it's rarely taken advantage of. Should definately do this because its probably the lowest effort and highest return eme can do to spike interest. Waiting for a class addition is waiting too long. Throw together a new pack and price it for 10$, then rake in the cash and interest.
  • Spacecats wrote: »
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    In all honesty, an updated character creation window would bring TONS of players, new and returning. Just add body sliders and much more customization options, like ability to mix and match ears, tails, and hairstyle for elins. Same for castanic, and more horn types for amani male, more hairstyles and makeup options for femani, the list goes on.

I'm curious why you think body sliders and more customization options would bring in tons of new players. Can you elaborate? Presumably a new player would have no idea what the preexisting customization options were, so they would all be new to them anyway.

I can't speak for the person who originally said it but, there are likely players who have a love of customization that skipped over the game. People only just hearing of Tera would also be drawn to extended customization. Existing players would be more likely to play continuously if they could modify their characters more (and since everyone always jokes...okay they're not joking but I view it that way, that eme/bhs is all about money, think of the character change vouchers that would sell to existing players wanting to change what they look like - legitly, from a business standpoint, that's something that should be looked at, if I'm not mistaken.). As a general rule, just about everyone loves being able to customize a character more rather than less. With games like BDO offering their alleged super customization, it's definitely a thing loved in Korea as well so something I would think BHS would possibly look into.

If something like this was ever done, offering one to two free recustomizations per account would probably thrill the community as well. Being that it's a free to play game, I don't think offering across the board recustomizations is really feasible. I do think that people would be willing to pay for the change even more so if they could pick one or two characters to go ahead and change for free, though.

I ono, just my two cents on that part of the topic.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Spacecats wrote: »
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    In all honesty, an updated character creation window would bring TONS of players, new and returning. Just add body sliders and much more customization options, like ability to mix and match ears, tails, and hairstyle for elins. Same for castanic, and more horn types for amani male, more hairstyles and makeup options for femani, the list goes on.

I'm curious why you think body sliders and more customization options would bring in tons of new players. Can you elaborate? Presumably a new player would have no idea what the preexisting customization options were, so they would all be new to them anyway.

we are not longer in 2011, 2020 video game should include at least black desert customization character with tera costumes/armor and without the 24 h to wait to delete a character, tera was good in 2011, but now it is a little bit old
  • SeikilosSeikilos ✭✭✭
    > @treocsx15 said:
    > I see people mentioning optimization. But you have to realize the game's engine is around 10 years old now. It's as optimized as it's going to get. IMO if BHS were smart, they would just kill off TERA and give us TERA 2. A new game with a more modern engine. That way you can have optimization for more modern hardware as well as a plethora of the suggestions listed above implemented.

That's something that could happen but I also dread thi day.
    It would be the day that I would have to leave all my hard-earned gold and toons behind. That would be a bad day for me cause I'm emotionally attached to both :-P . If there was a way ro transfer my stuff to the new game that would be ok, for me, but I also know that it would destroy the economy of the new game. So yeah.
  • ArdireArdire ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the biggest nail in the coffin for this game for me personally was the introduction of +15
  • > @Viauxi said:
    > Bring back the Nexus.
    >
    > Bring back 10-20 man raid content.
    >
    > Make a male variant of every new class that has released. There is literally no excuse for this laziness, I don't care what anyone says.
    >
    > Make a male variant of every costume that has released. Ever.
    >
    > Stop ignoring people who want to play as a dude in general. Why do this? Seriously it blows my mind.
    >
    > Make tanks tank again instead of being a glorified DPS from the front.
    >
    > Buff BAMS again so they are...you know....scary like they used to be?
    >
    > Remove 90% of the shameless rng lootbox garbage from the cash shop.
    >
    > Make VM gear great again. It means literally nothing nowadays it's so easy to get.
    >
    > Seriously, AV is dead AF, do something about it.
    >
    > Add class change service to the cash shop...
    >
    > Remove that stupid [filtered] tier spender ("""loyalty""") system you picked up from Nexon and Aeria Games.
    >
    > Bring back the old dailies and modernize them. They can exist along with the vanguard system. This will provide a significant boost in available solo content for people who just want to run around the world and do things.
    >
    > Remove almost all non-lore/fantasy based mounts and costumes (police uniforms and cars and other BS) and replace them with lore/tera themed costumes. Some things can be an exception like school uniforms or swimsuits (because every mmo has to has these nowadays...) It is impossible to get immersed in the world and lore of TERA with all this [filtered] running around. If I were to play TERA as it is today for the first time I would be immediately turned off by it. This game has no identity with all these idiotic outfits people are wearing.
    >
    > Remove avatar weapons and make lower level content relevant again. Many won't like this one, but I don't care if you don't like leveling or if this is your 15th alt, boohoo. This is an MMO. If you want to level up in 12 hours then buy the instant-60 item from the cash shop. Games like GW2, FF14 and ESO are still relevant for a reason and I can tell you one thing, it isn't because they made is 27x easier to level up so you can skip 96% of the game. I bet 75% of the current playerbase have never even seen the majority of zones in this game. I'm not saying it has to go back to being as grindy as it use to, but it is just TOO EASY nowadays and Av weapons are mostly the reason this is the case.
    >
    > Make a new expansion with fresh zones instead of making the 468th new class. New classes will never bring new players. New CONTENT will bring new players and keep current players invested for much LONGER. This is what Korean developers don't understand. They make 100 new classes and wonder why they don't gain any new players or media attention. This is why. this is why westernized MMOs like GW2 ESO WOW and even FFXIV focus on releasing new expansions instead of a new generic class or dungeon every 4 months.
    >
    > Stop with the power creep. Seriously. Once again if you didn't make 96% of your base game irrelevant, there would be no need for power to creep as fast as it does. Remember when 1.5m crits were ridiculously large damage? Umm yeah...........
    >
    > Cut the value of cash items on the market place in half, or better yet, 3/4th. The prices are so high its insane. I remember when a appearance voucher was only 10k, now they are 40k. It's a huge Pay2win element, straight up. Point blank. It turns players away from the game.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There, now you have restored the integrity of TERA as a proper mmorpg.
    > Too bad this is all fantasy. I should just retire......

I hate to quote long texts but I couldn't pass.
    ALL in one post! You have my voice. I would add the stability of servers here and strong NO to Zayo.
  • GrimoirGrimoir ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Sure, VSHM is challenging but I find it difficult at times to even find a group for the dungeon. It's more about who you know and your connections now as opposed to how active LFG used to be.
    This so much.... not everyone runs in large guilds or really wants to. I'm in a 4 man guild with my best friends in game, don't really want to leave. But you can obviously see how that puts a damper on having a static party for end game. When we make an LFG to find our last man, it takes ages to get someone decent to apply to the party...
    Aaaaaand I'm pretty sure you have to be overly masochistic to want to queue VS, just saying....

Well....its because all the LFG's only want players which are super mega hyper skilled and geared. Thats why they have problems finding people and why connections take hand. I for example even got rejected cause i wasnt skilled in DFHM on my archer while i logged 50+ runs on my priest and warrior.

As to What would bring players back I would say the following:

- Character customization options – Players like to make unique characters appealing more to their ideals / their own look, right now everything is really basic, everyones almost the same, there is no stand-out. Character Creation Hobby is a thing nowadays. That’s also one of the most things BDO / BnS was complemented for.
    - New Content – By this I mean actual new content not recycled / re-heated potatoes. How many times can you fight the same boss with just the difference if you move right or left? That gets boring.
    - I read that on tera EU they want to bring back Sky Cruiser Hell mode, now….this is something we should have for the end game dungeons. Something for those try hard players who are fully geared already that they can do with ofc rewarding rewards.
    - Fine-tune the loyalty system a bit, I think it’s a great idea already.
    - Add better mounts / pets obtainable in-game. Or even maybe this is a longshot but for example in the game Bless Online you can use special scrolls to “capture” monsters in the open world and they become your minions / pets something like this to collect across all tera lands would be pretty fun.
    - Bring back the [filtered] MCHM / ACHM like dozens of players already asked for….tune the mechanics a bit, make it hard but that’s already a big step.
    - Create like a calendar rortation of old dungeons coming back as a Flashback per month for example.
    - Visionmaker Gear – I do not know about others, but I personally loved how we used to have the options to re-tool the previous VM set to the new one. Like Visionmaker -> Retool to Nightforge -> retool to Archetype etc…less materials needed than making from scratch, and can be a bit harder to obtain but felt like a better streamline instead of scrapping everything every gear patch
    - Improve the optimization for better performance
    - Rework the Dye system a bit…like there are so many costumes which would look great if dyed white for example but you cant do that the bets it comes out is light gray.
    - Equalized Battlegrounds – VS is already equalized in terms of gear. Why not force the optimization for crystals aswel?
    - Gender / Race locked classes – this is the most annoying EVER. Like again a ninja class exclusive for Elin only…not everyone likes elins.
    - Male Fashion – The fashion for males is ridiculously poor. Females have 3x the amount of costumes.
    - Lags – A lot of players suffer from this, fix it
    - Streams on Twitch – The streams are nice but…idk you guys come nowhere close how awesome they were back when Tonka did them.
    - This might annoy some players but: Try and streamline the update cycles, more specifically: I would find it amazing when the updates for all KR/ JP / CN / EU / NA tera versions would be released at the same time so there wouldn’t be any guides for dungeons and people would have to learn them all by trial and error.
    - There are many RP’ers in Tera maybe bring something for them aswel? The wedding costumes are a nice one but they most likely want something more.
    - Quality of life improvements – Remote wardrobe, maybe change it to something like BnS has where the wardrobe is like a shadow board where it displays all possible to get costumes and you can collect them ?
    - Fashion points – Any new costume a character acquires give it fashion points that could be exchanged for some special costume accessories / customizations, like a costume glow or a special dye
    - Add the missing weapon skins to the fashion coupon store.
    - The old reputation system, maybe add current materials like some feedstock bundles or alkahest bundles to them.
    - Nexus – The old nexus, as laggy as it was was more fun than what we have now.
  • Zoknahal wrote: »
    @Spacecats So i decided to write the list i talked about. @Yamazuki put it very clear why it is important to have a rich character customization, if my opinion above did not convinced you.

Keep in mind that this is what i personally think that should be implemented in what regards to character customization as a whole, and not just the initial customization screen. Lets start by the actual initial Character Customization Screen:

- Keep face customization like it is.
    - Add Body customization tailored for TERA. Remove the in game sliders and integrate them into the actual customization system, while adding also Body type, hand size, Arms, legs, and many more.
    - More variety of face decorations, tattoos, jewelry, eye color, eye type, lip color.
    - More variety of hairstyles.
    - Aman and Castanic: More variety of Horns.
    - Elins: Matching hair color with fur color of ears and tail.
    - Elins: Mix and match hairstyle, ears and tail.
    - Popori: More variety on fur types, fluffier or not so fluffy
    - More variety on hair colors. Option to choose 2 different hair colors. Highlights.
    - More skin tones for every race. Darker skin tones for elin and elfs.
    - Option to choose starting clothing.
    - Option to choose different idle animations.
    - Baraka: Option to choose different "Tree" marks for body.

I agree with you on all of the above! I have been wanting this to happen for awhile and I hope it happens one day.
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    There should be a reason to play the game. This reason as of now is really minute as it was a few years ago. There is really not enough content that justifies a large number of players to keep playing the game (because there are many more games out there with a worse combat system but more reasons to play than TERA. When I mean reasons, I don't mean ways to gear up, but more things to do.

1. An actual leaderboard system.

The reason why many people want Crusades back is because a ranked system is very important in skill demanding games. High score runs, highest ranked players are supposed to be for the elitists for a reason. Not because they can be abused. The biggest problem with PvP crusades especially is the prevalence of obvious win traders in Champion's Skyring, which is very toxic to PvP culture in general.

The biggest problem with the current rating system (which is why it is so hard to balance games) is that they try so hard to fit high rated players with low rated ones just to balance the average, that they put scenarios such as having 1 5-man 1400 premade with 10 or so 900 rating players against a 900-100 average team. There is no weighted advantage of premades whatsoever as well as limits to who can premade. This is main reason for imbalance. Sure you can argue that if one side has lancers and the other side doesn't have a single tank it is going to be a problem as well, but here is the thing, there is always a combination that will give one team an advantage. This is why the win loss ratings gains/losses are so skewed. Post 1200 rating your rating climbs so slowly and a single loss will set you back at least 3 wins. This kind of skewed rating is unacceptable in all elo systems.

I will not only talk about PvP in this scenario, PvE leaderboards also have an issue. Crusades should never have a solo accumulated score ranking, but rather a guild combined accumulated score ranking. This means that only guild runs count towards the guild accumulated score if any. Score runs should include resets/wipes, and time taken moving in between bosses. (They aren't factored in right now) This meant that factors such as resource bars, enrage buffs and whatnot should be considered in the entire run.

2. An actual crafting system

I hate to break it to you guys. Even prior to it being absolutely thrown into the trashcan, the system isn't as good as it was supposed to be. Crafting should never have to rely on a "crit" RNG feature to keep people in, especially Etchings, which are the worst offenders. It doesn't make real sense even in a fantasy setting and you aren't really trying to craft the item, but rather the crit version of the item.

If the system ever returns I'd rather the devs increase the amount of materials needed to make a guarenteed "crit" version.

3. An actual reason to continue PvEing/PvPing

Right now, the biggest problem is that players are so focused in making money that the game doesn't feel like what it is supposed to be but a gold farming simulator. This is the problem with many games of the current time, and that is a very bad thing. Players should never be doing battlegrounds for the sake of getting Bonanza Boxes, or doing PvE dungeons just to get mats to enchant a PvP gear, but rather getting these items as a bonus for having fun, proving your skill to complete this content.

There is nothing wrong to having rewards for completing content daily. It should be an incentive to keep playing, but it shouldn't be at the extent that the only reason to play the game is to get more money. Which leads me to the next point.

4. Actual content

This is where I will be blunt. If you apply Tera's current dungeon cycle system to ANY other game, the said game would die nearly instantly. The way this is implemented now is just way too boring for the average player. You level way too fast for the game's good, and the content as of now is horribly low, meaning without the artificial time increment for getting gear, you actually can finish most if not all the content of the game in 3 weeks, and that is not good.

It means a few things:

1) Current actually difficult content is just way too easy for those who have already been there

I mean seriously, unless you are severely hit by the massive ping spikes like me (which now has a crazy average of 350ms instead of 250ms just a few months ago), as long as you are already accustomed to the difficulty of 4-5 stars, everything is doable. Some servers are complaining that Harrowhold is hard, when it honestly isn't if you actually geared up and practiced dungeons and don't lag. Don't mistake artificial difficulty for the actual difficulty of the game!

2) Leveling is too simplified

I won't say it is easy because with the buffed dungeons, newbies should find them a challenge. But the process is just still way too simplified.

3) The majority of the players either stop at the midtier, or don't bother with VM.

I won't say that there are very few VM players now (way more than last time at least). Gear cycle is so watered down that even though new things are added like circlets there is no depth to the gearing at all.

TERA was never designed for the casual, by making it work for the casual you kill many innate features that never worked with casuals but are very important for any gaming enthusiasts to immerse in. Casual doesn't mean playing for short amounts of time. Casual means not putting extra effort to learn the game at its original difficulty. The original difficulty is not supposed to be that low, even if it shouldn't be at the abysmal difficulties of the pre f2p era that it becomes a survival game. At least, make the content more interesting, with less boring OW and instanced content suited more for more people.
  • kubitoidkubitoid ✭✭✭✭✭
    vkobe wrote: »
    in theory tera console will bring people for 1 or 2 years
    someone on reddit said mmos go to consoles to die in peace
  • kubitoidkubitoid ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    TL;DR: Minigames, new expansions, useful crafting, useful side crafts
    man. its too much to ask from them. they dont even care to bestow new classes on every race/gender and you suggest new expansions! someone's final fantasy.................. [dots]

ps - also let me please upvote mr. Zoknahal. he is likeable dude and such a honorable knight. but sad, like Padme
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    kubitoid wrote: »
    vkobe wrote: »
    in theory tera console will bring people for 1 or 2 years
    someone on reddit said mmos go to consoles to die in peace

because after console nothing can save mmorpg from dead ;)

or maybe vr and mobile can save tera :3
  • Can we please get rid of gender locked races? I want a cute little elin boy to play with. o:)