Returning player Q: Mystics no longer DPS viable?

I played from launch to just after the game went F2P. I mained a Sorc and Mystic but having come back this past week I keep reading that Mystics are forced to queue up as healers in dungeons; We used to be off-heals when I played last, helping the Priest when/if needed by dropping those motes around the place, but we could still deal some of that DPS goodness.

Is the Mystic no longer viable as a DPS class? I'm really wanting to play a caster typed class that dishes out damage and the Sorc I find slightly boring.

Thanks, guys!

Note: Caster is not the same as Ranged.

Comments

• PalominaPalomina ✭✭✭
    edited June 16
    No , mystics aren't viable as a dps class anymore.
  • KeeveKeeve ✭✭
    Mystics were always able to solo heal and were never allowed to queue as DPS. They were viable as DPS for a short period of time when healer damage against monsters was increased. This was subsequently decreased to a level unfit for competitive DPS in dungeons.
  • TewiiTewii ✭✭✭
    Hi there, I'm pretty well versed in mystic dps so; we got a pretty hefty buff during the SSHM patch which skyrocketed our dps to over a million. I could hold toe to toe with most classes, and tanks ended up doing less dps if you were geared and competent enough. This was, however, in double healer parties with the mystic fulfilling a traditional, full-time DPS role rather than off-healing.

RMHM patch rolls around and we recieve two nerfs - our in-dungeon boss damage modifier became 1.5, rather than 2.5x damage. This patch also removed crit power scroll usage on healers and introduced uniform nostrums that package everything into 1 consumable. This sucked for mystic DPS since we can no longer increase our crit power meaningfully outside of crystals.

It was essentially a 50% cut in our dps, if not more. Is Mystic DPS viable? Not particularly. But if you're in a double healer party, and your DPS/Tank are trying to parse for dps, and your Priest is comfortable solohealing, then yeah it's better to dps than not to so long as you can stay alive and contribute your auras. You won't really do much more than 3-400k in realistic scenarios, but that can end up being 5-10% of party dps.

For most situations though it can be more of a detriment than anything else. It's fun for sure though.
  • Thanks for the info, guys.

Tewii: A constructive and well thought out reply. I greatly appreciate it!
  • ArdireArdire ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm not sure what you were ever smoking cause the only time mystic was ever viable dps was during the SSHM patch like Tewii said, which was a bizarre time, a fun yet bizarre time..... i mean if you consider spamming metamorphic smite into blast over and over and over fun....

but never during launch to F2P era. mystics always had to queue as healers because that's what they are-- a healer class. not off-healer, or hybrid or what have you. if you ask me those notions have just hurt mystics in the long run, painting them the black sheep next to priests, thankfully those days are (mostly) behind us now.
    that being said, mystic is still a fun support to play.
  • BaldurdashBaldurdash ✭✭✭
    Ardire wrote: »
    i mean if you consider spamming metamorphic smite into blast over and over and over fun...

Honestly it's better than standing around with auras throwing volley, heal, and contagion every once in awhile. Not to mention the benefit of being able to group with your other healer friends.
  • TewiiTewii ✭✭✭
    Triple healer DSU with me dpsing on mystic was pretty lit tbh.
  • BaldurdashBaldurdash ✭✭✭
    Tewii wrote: »

I think I'm in love, will you marry me?
  • GrimoirGrimoir ✭✭✭
    Tewii wrote: »

I did a all healer REHM back in the days that was fun xD