[PC] Maintenance is now complete!

Status Update and Community Call-to-Action Regarding Recent Increase in Lag-Related Incidents

14567810»

Comments

• CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, had a weird thought: decaying infrastructure that no one wants to foot the bill for.

It could be that almost all the lines in this country are rented out from de facto monopolies--and neither the renting companies nor the owners want the cost of updating them. So who KNOWS how old some of the equipment around Chicago is.

No, I find it extremely plausible that some of the troubles in our game are from the backbone. And since the lines are physically the same regardless of which company you go through, it wouldn't necessarily change much to change services--just who's data from what part of the world runs through the "bad" parts of the line.

Our best bet would be to convince all ISPs that it is in their best interest to listen to EME, which means overwhelming proof of where the dropped packets are happening, as THEY will have to go to those who OWN the lines and demand repairs. So keep sending those path reports.

Although it is a good point about flooding the support people. Do we still have a special email to send these things to? Art one point I could swear we did.
  • Catservant wrote: »
    Do we still have a special email to send these things to? Art one point I could swear we did.

Yup, in the thread OP -- it's [email protected]

I don't think all of the lag issues relate to the backbone and ISP networks, but it's certain that some of them do.
  • CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭✭
    Catservant wrote: »
    Do we still have a special email to send these things to? Art one point I could swear we did.

Yup, in the thread OP -- it's [email protected]

I don't think all of the lag issues relate to the backbone and ISP networks, but it's certain that some of them do.

THANKS!
  • feazesherofeazeshero ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I called up my ISP (comcast) yesterday to make sure if there was anything on my end that needed looking at or improvement. Obviously they do not handle routing (which I knew, but was worth a shot to ask). Hey, whatever they did during my 40 minute call, it must've fixed something for me. I say this because for the 1st time in months, I played with some awesome smoothness no lag for like 2 hours. They also offered a speed upgrade triple the bandwidth (at no cost) of what I had before since I been with them for a long time. Not sure if the speed increase has anything to do with it, pretty sure the ping is the same no matter what. Unless EME is in the process of talking to the ISP's, maybe something on that part is or already been doing something.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    Still having lag issues. The event seems to one cause of one set of lag and then Savvis doesn;t seem to happy right now either.
    tracert diag.enmasse.com

Tracing route to diag.enmasse.com [208.67.49.180]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
      2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      3     *       12 ms    11 ms  31.55.186.193
      4    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  31.55.186.208
      5    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  195.99.127.110
      6    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  213.137.183.100
      7    13 ms    12 ms    12 ms  ldn-brdr-01.qwest.net [195.66.225.34]
      8    82 ms    82 ms    81 ms  65.120.31.74
      9   104 ms   105 ms   103 ms  206.28.100.13
     10    81 ms     *       81 ms  cr1-pos-0-8-2-0.jfk2.savvis.net [204.70.192.121]
     11   103 ms   102 ms   103 ms  cr1-te-0-1-0-0.chd.savvis.net [206.28.100.229]
     12   103 ms   103 ms   102 ms  hr3-xe-8-0-0.elkgrovech3.savvis.net [204.70.198.73]
     13   102 ms   102 ms   102 ms  64.37.205.6
     14   102 ms   102 ms   102 ms  208.67.49.180

Hop 8 is the EU/NA Atlantic Crossing
  • TheKings wrote: »
    The recent increase in gameplay-affecting lag spikes have been truly frustrating for players and the TERA staff at EME alike. We have been working with our technology partners and the game’s developers to identify possible root causes since the issues began in May. Though we’ve not yet identified a root cause, we do have some hypotheses as to what might be causing the recent issues.

To help support our investigation and build a case that we can escalate to the appropriate parties, we continue to require supporting data from players. If you experience a gameplay-disrupting lag spike, we ask that you please submit to us the following information in an email to “[email protected]”:

Internally, our Operations team is collating the data you provide and corroborating it with their own monitoring tools to get a better sense of what’s happening in the TERA server environment at the time these lag spikes occur. While our monitoring hasn't revealed any corresponding network events surrounding recent reports of lag spikes, identifying any impact on the server environment when lag spikes occur will be essential to finding the cause and ultimately arriving at a solution.

It’s important to note that you will not receive a direct response when submitting the information above. We are not using this data to address player-specific issues on a case-by-case basis. Instead, we are looking at the aggregated data to help identify the larger root cause of the recent issues.

The Product and Community teams at En Masse recognize the severity of these issues and remain diligent in monitoring community reports of them. We have established a regular meeting internally to review community reports and raise awareness around the current volume and severity of community reports involving network stability.

I know this is not the update many of you were hoping for, but I wanted to provide the community some transparency into our current efforts and encourage you to continue providing the above information to “[email protected]”. It truly is helpful to our ongoing investigation of these issues. We appreciate your continued patience and support.

Denommenator Hello,

I have done it once and the support could not help much. (Be in mind that the support of Enmasse is just really great, our issue is with who is coordinate Enmasse and infrastructure).
    I believe you guys have millions of these records, so why more?

What is the reason to overload the support with new tickets once again with this pretty old topic that you guys could not solve since 2014 that we start this discussion?

This is has been done really 5 times or even more like this thread and nothing happen after all! (just check the old forum to find topics like this with no solution).
    What is the point to start another duplicated thread!?

You (Enmasse) are just trying to cover the sun with a fishing net. Instead running in circle with these tickets you guys should invest more in the main problem.

Please do not take as a personal attack and yes a feedback from a old player that want to see this game running good.

Contacted them as well... Their response? "Call your ISP and have them check connection to our servers"

Our internet has only gone out maybe once in the past two months during their own maintenance...
  • DreadweaverDreadweaver ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Everything fine with my internet. I have three different provides at home. I had good connection before may and I didn't have such issues for some time. Now it's like 170-> spike 700 - back.

But in global I remember this issue started when I came to Tera, soon it will be a year - nothing changed.
  • The sad thing about all of this is that if there was a way for enmasse to fix it, they would have by now. Pretty sure it's neither a hardware, nor a connection issue. It's probably a software issue and they need BH to fix it. But BH is either having a hard time finding a solution, or they just don't care that much about the NA version. From their standpoint "You wanted all those changes to the game, now deal with the consequences".

Right now everyone is dealing with it, still hoping for this to be a temporary issue. But eventually this "grace period" of not wanting to give up on the game will pass. So this might end up being what actually kills the game. In a way it is amazing that it survived that long anyways. But the key-feature of Tera is the real-time-combat. If it stops being "real-time" ... we have a problem.

• Let's be honest, the lag will never stop. The NA TERA will always be a complaining pot of unhappy people. Case Closed.
  • herrbasan wrote: »
    The sad thing about all of this is that if there was a way for enmasse to fix it, they would have by now. Pretty sure it's neither a hardware, nor a connection issue. It's probably a software issue and they need BH to fix it. But BH is either having a hard time finding a solution, or they just don't care that much about the NA version. From their standpoint "You wanted all those changes to the game, now deal with the consequences".

Well, right now, the biggest problem is related to routing. A few months ago, there were lots of lag-related problems that were server-wide and pervasive, but actually a lot of those problems were fixed. But now, in the last few weeks and in prime time in particular, there have been tons of problems with lag on the route to/from the server. Even though the symptoms are similar, the root cause it completely different. And for this sort of issue, there aren't really so many choices: either elevate reports up the chain through their provider (which is what this thread is about), switch to another backbone at the same data center (which they've tried before), or move to a completely different data center and hope that their providers won't have the same issues (which is what the test server was about).

The problem with TERA is simply that it's very lag-sensitive by design. Some of that is due to the coding of the game's skills, and some of that is just due to the underlying engine and technology. Indeed, as the post above implied, there have been complaints about lag for as long as TERA's been around because we have the most internationally-diverse playerbase of any TERA market (and U.S. Internet infrastructure isn't what it should be). TERA is, bizarrely, an MMO designed to be played on LAN-like network conditions, so this will always be an issue.
  • Well I stopped because of it.
    There are other games like Tera without lag or crash like Blade & Soul.
    They rebuilt the game for x64 and also optimized it properly.
  • edited September 2017
    6G4KRAG6XW wrote: »
    Well I stopped because of it.

Well, it sounds like you're talking about framerate lag (poor visual performance/choppy graphics), and it doesn't help that that is also an issue with TERA that enters the conversation. That is indeed another weakness with TERA's design and coding.
  • TheKingsTheKings ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Well I had played it offline once and I like it.
    At least no internet lag.

https://youtu.be/F_QbVFW74HI
  • herrbasan wrote: »
    The sad thing about all of this is that if there was a way for enmasse to fix it, they would have by now. Pretty sure it's neither a hardware, nor a connection issue. It's probably a software issue and they need BH to fix it. But BH is either having a hard time finding a solution, or they just don't care that much about the NA version. From their standpoint "You wanted all those changes to the game, now deal with the consequences".

Well, right now, the biggest problem is related to routing. A few months ago, there were lots of lag-related problems that were server-wide and pervasive, but actually a lot of those problems were fixed. But now, in the last few weeks and in prime time in particular, there have been tons of problems with lag on the route to/from the server. Even though the symptoms are similar, the root cause it completely different. And for this sort of issue, there aren't really so many choices: either elevate reports up the chain through their provider (which is what this thread is about), switch to another backbone at the same data center (which they've tried before), or move to a completely different data center and hope that their providers won't have the same issues (which is what the test server was about).

The problem with TERA is simply that it's very lag-sensitive by design. Some of that is due to the coding of the game's skills, and some of that is just due to the underlying engine and technology. Indeed, as the post above implied, there have been complaints about lag for as long as TERA's been around because we have the most internationally-diverse playerbase of any TERA market (and U.S. Internet infrastructure isn't what it should be). TERA is, bizarrely, an MMO designed to be played on LAN-like network conditions, so this will always be an issue.

Are there really no other servers besides the test server and Zayo, since we're on Savvis. Due to the unfortunate state of the game that's only raid, getting 20 people's schedules to line up is hard enough. Now factor in people who have Comcast, just makes me wanna rage quit this game.

I don't see comcast people getting screwed on other games, just this one.
  • TheKingsTheKings ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    6G4KRAG6XW wrote: »
    Well I stopped because of it.

Well, it sounds like you're talking about framerate lag (poor visual performance/choppy graphics), and it doesn't help that that is also an issue with TERA that enters the conversation. That is indeed another weakness with TERA's design and coding.

Counter, but this is can impact well in the game in somehow and maybe cooperate even more to lag more and more.
    Tera EU and KTera I do no have any single issue regarding with internet and the game is the the same.
    I only have there graphics issues but NA I have both (graphics and internet).

Just a small note, I have a fibre internet speed over 470 MB download and around 450 upload.