[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Status Update and Community Call-to-Action Regarding Recent Increase in Lag-Related Incidents

Comments

• oh well, for some reason I found myself INSIDE Velika City's walls. Then everything stopped, and now I know why...
    Hope you guys discover what's causing this awful lag, best of luck!
  • XristosxXristosx ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Reposting this here since you closed my thread even though it was talking about lag the entire 8 months we've had it as opposed to the lag we've had directed at "May" only

Okay so this seems to be a very regular occurrence so im gonna chime in again even. You guys just switched to savvis about 1 hour and 30 minutes ago and now ping has increased and its horrible.
    I said in the past that it doesn't help besides a few people (yes even people in america it makes it worse for them) and EME keeps switching them in hopes of fixing the lag, Your recent post stating sorry theres been lag issues since may is very wrong and misleading to anyone whose a newer player from the past few months,
    Heres a reference for people who dont know
    November October 2016
    http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/network-outages-compensation
    January 2017
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/10943/megathread-lag-issues-and-what-to-do/p1
    March 2017
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/12239/mt-tons-of-lag-in-harrowold#latest
    April 2017
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/13485/regarding-the-lag/p1
    Here in "may" 2017
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/16021/status-update-and-community-call-to-action-regarding-recent-increase-in-lag-related-incidents#latest
    If anyone searches any more they'll find heaps more threads unless they were removed.
    We've been having lag since 8 months ago back in november last year when you switched to savvis originally to try and fix a [filtered] login server issue, so you gave us a crappy server with savvis almost the entire HH patch while in savvis people repeatedly complained that it was spiking horribly and made repeated jokes about lag being a mechanic of HH, So with HH coming back very soon you want to mess with people again by savvis turned on when HH20 returns which will be more difficult and you know how frustrated people will be when they lag because of the server and constantly wipe their runs through no fault of their own?
    I said it last time and ill say it again switching back and forth between the two savvis and zayo does not fix the root of the problem. This will only bring more problems i said last time i'm sick of it and with how this patch is turning out with slow [filtered] bosses with extremely buffed endurance i'm getting bored real fast and this isn't helping.

Oh and i encourage more people to speak up with this and make more threads so they know this is a problem
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭
    So, are you guys just going to keep deleting your "what we aren't doing about the lag" threads every month or two and creating a new one, like you're actually making progress?

It's been...what, 9 months now of off-and-on (mostly on) lag, and you're still going to pretend that it's just a recent thing like you've done with every other thread?
  • CH unplayable today. 170-600 all evening.
  • KillerPenguinsKillerPenguins ✭✭✭✭
    Ping has tripled since yesterday... switching between savvis and zayo every other month is not an acceptable option here, sort out the underlying issue or change data centers if they just can't get their [filtered] together.
  • XristosxXristosx ✭✭✭
    Yup as people said ping has increased significantly
    yTKzSy4.jpg
    So yeah, not really giving me any incentive to play. Didn't play during the afk event because of the insane lag and now i just have insane lag in general.
    So savvis is [filtered].
  • I do not believe these issues are related to network, at least not the Internet, maybe internal to EmE. I am in the area where the servers are, so my ping is usually between 10-20ms, yet I do experience the lag spikes. Also when you add the constant server crashes, that does not point to Internet issues. Players collecting network diagnostic files will not help. Whatever "tools" they are using to monitor the software and hardware are not useful apparently, so they either need to get better tools, or people who can better use them.
    Is there any ETA on switching back to zayo? Tera is more or less unplayable for me on savvis, and I'm only four hours from the server..
  • > @KillerPenguins said:
    > Is there any ETA on switching back to zayo? Tera is more or less unplayable for me on savvis, and I'm only four hours from the server..

Oh it was changed... Now I understand why we have it so bad last days!
  • XristosxXristosx ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Is there any ETA on switching back to zayo? Tera is more or less unplayable for me on savvis, and I'm only four hours from the server..
    Generally there isn't, last time they did this, it'll probably be another 6 months of "lag mechanic" HH before they revert back after HH gets removed.
    Another work around is just use the money you would normally pay for Elite subscription with and instead buy a wtfast(or any other routing providers) subscription. since that might fix some of the routing issues i hear that EME would definitely support, since the money doesn't actually go to NA Tera's servers as its been painfully obvious the last 8 months when the "Servers were infact upgraded"
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/comment/102078/#Comment_102078
    7s9YXJK.jpg
    So once again please tell us how these problems have been happening since "May" or is being quiet and hoping it blows over again the PR solution.
    Sadly wtfast isn't an option for me, it's more stable but much higher ping :( I've been trying various other VPN options but it seems like i'll just have to stop playing tera at this rate. On a particularly tragic side note, my latency to the EU servers 4,500 miles away is roughly the same as my latency to the NA servers 250 miles away right now.
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    I believe that the issue has to do with what's in between the game server and the client. Meaning the networks used connecting player to the game. For example would someone from Houston using an AT&T connection have more or less problems than someone using say: Google Fiber from Austin Texas. What is the word for this on my part? Conjecture? I don't know.
  • edited June 2017
    JBGaming wrote: »
    I believe that the issue has to do with what's in between the game server and the client. Meaning the networks used connecting player to the game. For example would someone from Houston using an AT&T connection have more or less problems than someone using say: Google Fiber from Austin Texas. What is the word for this on my part? Conjecture? I don't know.

Well, there are a lot of issues that compound.

The part you're talking about is routing, and this is indeed a problem. As some posts above mentioned, the switch from Zayo to Savvis does have a direct impact on some people's latency. What we found in the past is that Savvis was generally better for most (but not all) American players, but worse for many (again, not all) customers coming from certain other parts of the world (Australia was one of the worst affected, for example). For people affected by this sort of problem, sometimes using a VPN will help.

But it's important to say that this isn't the entirety of the problem. Some people have perfectly fine routing to the server, but also experience party-wide lag in dungeons. When it affects everyone equally at the same time, it's not connection or routing related, but is something closer to the server. It could be one of the servers/services themselves. It could be routing equipment at the colocation facility, or inbound to it. Or it may be some unique way our NA client interacts with the game servers.

The problem with this whole situation is that it's complicated. If it were something as simple/obvious as just adding more RAM/CPU to the servers, that would be obvious (you'd see the high resource usage on the server) and extremely easy to fix. When you have multi-faceted problems like this, it's not easy. TERA is extremely lag-sensitive (much more so than most other MMORPGs on the market), and with as global a playerbase as TERA NA has all connecting to the same servers in Chicago, there will never be a day when EME can say they "fixed the lag problem." But they need to try to minimize as many causes as possible. The instance-wide stuff impacting dungeons/raids is the most egregious, and that's the primary issue they're trying to target with this "call to action."
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    @counterpoint when we changed to Saavis before, when Zayo was really bad, we had a bit higher MS ping but we had way less spikes and outage, now we have higher ping than that, I feel like still less spikes than Zayo, so I assume we might have something going on in the game since couple patches ago. Cause we had less server lags with Saavis before :eh:

Murica is turned to a 3rd world country during the past 8 years DUH :angry: