Status Update and Community Call-to-Action Regarding Recent Increase in Lag-Related Incidents

Comments

• kubitoid wrote: »
    suggestion to move to another datacenter was made long ago. dont wanna dig old threads

Well, the Wonderholme test server was actually a test of that very thing. But the problem with all these things is that you're trading one set of problems for another. And like I said before, this game is much more lag-sensitive than most other MMOs because of the combat system. (The whole engine was really designed for FPS games where people hosted local servers...)
  • Completely and utterly unplayable In Australia, W.A, Perth today COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    kubitoid wrote: »
    kubitoid wrote: »
    suggestion to move to another datacenter was made long ago. dont wanna dig old threads

Well, the Wonderholme test server was actually a test of that very thing. But the problem with all these things is that you're trading one set of problems for another. And like I said before, this game is much more lag-sensitive than most other MMOs because of the combat system. (The whole engine was really designed for FPS games where people hosted local servers...)
    maybe its time to make tera p2p game instead of dedicated servers. im not pro just repeat like parrot wat others say ))

P2P will reduce the amount of players maybe by half or even less, however those who will be willingly to pay to play will be those who spent money on costumes.

I asure you that the firts players to jump out of the ship if Tera become p2p again are those who won't spent more than $15 per month in this game.

But do not be afraid, even in your other loved games as BDO they have the same problems https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/constant-issue-in-bdo-that-needs-to-be-rectified-now.19560/ but here in Tera we don't acknowledge that and when lag strikes this game several people say that the problem is only Tera itself xD.

Not only Tera and BDO but other games as Neverwinter On-line, League of Lendeds, Tree of Saviour, just to mention some of them, have issues regarding lag spikes, disconnections and problems that users keeps calling as Game Servers related.

Good luck thinking all lag will disapear from this game if EME invest millions of dollars when the US country has one of the worst network backbones between the 20 more important economies in the world.

Sad but true, start to demand to your country for a better internet network backbone and you will see how many of these games will reduce their "players lag issues" like if some magic was casted.
  • XristosxXristosx ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I think they meant Peer to Peer, but that wouldn't really help much as some peoples internet is pretty unstable and unable to host multiple players.
    HH 20 should be coming in the next 2-4 weeks and i'm not looking forward to how these servers are going to handle that again even if its 10 less people per instance.
  • BaldurdashBaldurdash ✭✭✭
    No thanks to p2p. Someone's internet starts acting up, everyone is going to feel it.
  • DreadweaverDreadweaver ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    > @counterpoint said:
    For people affected by this sort of problem, sometimes using a VPN will help.
    >
    >

This. I literally can buy loads of vpn. How I'm supposed to know which I need? I truly want to try but the amount of vpn is unlimited.
    Any information or suggestion please?
    > @counterpoint said:
    For people affected by this sort of problem, sometimes using a VPN will help.
    >
    >

This. I literally can buy loads of vpn. How I'm supposed to know which I need? I truly want to try but the amount of vpn is unlimited.
    Any information or suggestion please?

Sometimes even a VPN won't help that much, these network related problems that many people had or have these days are becoming something common on other games also, so i think this is not something that will get resolved just becuase EME started to work on it.

I mean, yeah, sure the things they come to get could help but if this has to be with some bad routing becuase traffic or another isse outside EME servers and Saviss or Zayo the nothing much to be done here.

BDO have this kind of issues since August 2016 and lag, latency, desconections, etc, network related problems are present every single month in that game, also in LoL, Neverwinter and other games... thought I can only be certain on BDO as I play it on weekends with a friend.

I hope people can get better network experience but sadly it seems this will be a norm in most games in this year :(
  • Why everything so bad... :expressionless:
    Still. If someone usesVPN successfully tell me pls which server and where so I could use too :blush:
  • KillerPenguinsKillerPenguins ✭✭✭✭
    Mudfish works fairly well with tera, for me at least. and pick the one in chicago, or the one closest to you. it depends on your connection which one will be better.
  • JBGaming wrote: »
    I believe that the issue has to do with what's in between the game server and the client. Meaning the networks used connecting player to the game. For example would someone from Houston using an AT&T connection have more or less problems than someone using say: Google Fiber from Austin Texas. What is the word for this on my part? Conjecture? I don't know.

Well, there are a lot of issues that compound.

The part you're talking about is routing, and this is indeed a problem. As some posts above mentioned, the switch from Zayo to Savvis does have a direct impact on some people's latency. What we found in the past is that Savvis was generally better for most (but not all) American players, but worse for many (again, not all) customers coming from certain other parts of the world (Australia was one of the worst affected, for example). For people affected by this sort of problem, sometimes using a VPN will help.

But it's important to say that this isn't the entirety of the problem. Some people have perfectly fine routing to the server, but also experience party-wide lag in dungeons. When it affects everyone equally at the same time, it's not connection or routing related, but is something closer to the server. It could be one of the servers/services themselves. It could be routing equipment at the colocation facility, or inbound to it. Or it may be some unique way our NA client interacts with the game servers.

The problem with this whole situation is that it's complicated. If it were something as simple/obvious as just adding more RAM/CPU to the servers, that would be obvious (you'd see the high resource usage on the server) and extremely easy to fix. When you have multi-faceted problems like this, it's not easy. TERA is extremely lag-sensitive (much more so than most other MMORPGs on the market), and with as global a playerbase as TERA NA has all connecting to the same servers in Chicago, there will never be a day when EME can say they "fixed the lag problem." But they need to try to minimize as many causes as possible. The instance-wide stuff impacting dungeons/raids is the most egregious, and that's the primary issue they're trying to target with this "call to action."

u are talking too much. go live somewhere within lag area and you will understand.
  • NikuroTegaNikuroTega ✭✭✭✭
    JBGaming wrote: »
    I believe that the issue has to do with what's in between the game server and the client. Meaning the networks used connecting player to the game. For example would someone from Houston using an AT&T connection have more or less problems than someone using say: Google Fiber from Austin Texas. What is the word for this on my part? Conjecture? I don't know.

The part you're talking about is routing, and this is indeed a problem. As some posts above mentioned, the switch from Zayo to Savvis does have a direct impact on some people's latency. What we found in the past is that Savvis was generally better for most (but not all) American players, but worse for many (again, not all) customers coming from certain other parts of the world (Australia was one of the worst affected, for example). For people affected by this sort of problem, sometimes using a VPN will help.

But it's important to say that this isn't the entirety of the problem. Some people have perfectly fine routing to the server, but also experience party-wide lag in dungeons. When it affects everyone equally at the same time, it's not connection or routing related, but is something closer to the server. It could be one of the servers/services themselves. It could be routing equipment at the colocation facility, or inbound to it. Or it may be some unique way our NA client interacts with the game servers.

The problem with this whole situation is that it's complicated. If it were something as simple/obvious as just adding more RAM/CPU to the servers, that would be obvious (you'd see the high resource usage on the server) and extremely easy to fix. When you have multi-faceted problems like this, it's not easy. TERA is extremely lag-sensitive (much more so than most other MMORPGs on the market), and with as global a playerbase as TERA NA has all connecting to the same servers in Chicago, there will never be a day when EME can say they "fixed the lag problem." But they need to try to minimize as many causes as possible. The instance-wide stuff impacting dungeons/raids is the most egregious, and that's the primary issue they're trying to target with this "call to action."

u are talking too much. go live somewhere within lag area and you will understand.

You're being ignorant. Maybe you should go live closer to the data centers and you will understand.
    NikuroTega wrote: »

You're being ignorant. Maybe you should go live closer to the data centers and you will understand.

Or he can go to Australia, that could works also to make him understand.
  • NikuroTega wrote: »

nice cage