Status Update and Community Call-to-Action Regarding Recent Increase in Lag-Related Incidents

Comments

• edited July 2017
    SocateKun wrote: »
    If you didn't know static IP have geolocation
    Below the accurate location of the server you said is Chicago, pulled from 5 different geolocation,unless EME gives exact address like Wargameing EU does with the server IP you still run in circle for nothing cause US peering is done like dialup

IP address geolocation is based largely on provisioning, not where the address is actually deployed/used (particularly given that addresses can be redeployed), so it cannot be used to accurately determine a server's location. As I mentioned, that address is pointing to a node at the mentioned facility in Chicago, close to where the TERA game servers are located. EME has stated themselves, on multiple locations, that the servers are located in Chicago. The geolocation record you found will regrettably not provide any useful information about the location of the server; instead, you can correctly infer the location from the DNS names of the routing nodes along the path to it.

In your case, your path is going from Romania, to Germany (Frankfurt), to New York City, to Chicago. And, actually, that route looks pretty straightforward and reasonable, all things considered.
  • @counterpoint my data is 92% accurate since its a static IP, just because EME "said" the game serveres are in Chicago doesn't mean squat, the data that they provide comes short. Like everything they do is kinda short.
    In my case the path is Bucharest Germany 2 times New York 3 times Denver then Chesterfield 5 bloody times that's NOT GOOD, unless there are more IP addresses for the login server.
    All static IP retain data until the IP is reassign to a different location but here is not the case since the same location is the same I so in the past months.The data I "collected" refreshes @ 10-15 days I passed 6 times @ 10-17 days over it and is the same location till yesterday.
    cr1-tengig-0-0-2-0.chicago.savvis.net this one is new and was not there yesterday or in the past months and I can't "probe" it for location since its fresh:( it replaced hr3-xe-8-0-0.elkgrovech3.savvis.net
  • edited July 2017
    SocateKun wrote: »
    @counterpoint my data is 92% accurate since its a static IP, just because EME "said" the game serveres are in Chicago doesn't mean squat, the data that they provide comes short. Like everything they do is kinda short.
    In my case the path is Bucharest Germany 2 times New York 3 times Denver then Chesterfield 5 bloody times that's NOT GOOD, unless there are more IP addresses for the login server.

Sorry, but I'm afraid your probes aren't providing the information you think they are. As I explained, you cannot use geolocation for this purpose, and you are not being routed through Colorado or Missouri. Regardless, I hope your lag issues work out.
  • Sorry to sorry to disappoint but my geolocating works fine, since I tested this way before I play Tera on WoT login servers since the IP are made public.
    And yes I'm routed like that all thx to glorious US peering that is still using the old dialup routes.
    Why don't you post your routing?
  • berrymilkberrymilk ✭✭✭
    any fixs to this yet im tired of laggin 24/7 :< and unable to play for the past two days
  • edited July 2017
    berrymilk wrote: »
    any fixs to this yet im tired of laggin 24/7 :< and unable to play for the past two days

In the last two days, I've heard mixed reports from people. Some people in the U.K. mentioned that their ping times got cut nearly in half, but other people (like you) mentioned they're having a lot more lag. So I think something major changed in the network infrastructure somewhere; either that or they swapped backbones again. (Currently they're on Savvis.)
  • PomponPompon ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I m very curious as to why people think this is network related, to me all the lag seems to happend in a few selected patterns, example:

- Pulling a lot of mobs and attacking them (like in BR from first boss to second or DreadNaught) - (A)
    - When someone joins the party (i would say during a fight mainly but not exactly sure there) - (B)
    - During boss fights in groups (can happend at any boss realy) -

That's the situations that seem to produce a lot of lag for me, i think my ping is stable most of the time and i play from EU. Outside of those situations everything seems to be rather OK.
    When doing solo boss i don't remember ever getting such lag spikes (litteraly freezes not even lag at this point). - (C)

To be fair all of what i have experienced seems to lead more towards an issue with UI, let me explain a bit:

- attacking a lot of mobs pops up all those sexy crit and damage numbers above their head, which is increased by number of player - correlating to (A) and (C)<-- when i m alone i will pop up less never thus avoiding lag.
    - when someone joins the party UI updates to add the new member - correlating to (B)

So here you go, that's what it seems the issue is about from my point of view and not realy network related. I hoppe that can help a bit.

(Playing on MT)

PS (i will try to run a few BR DreadNaught without UI to test this theory out)
  • PomponPompon ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    CornishRex wrote: »
    I think what you're describing is more like normal fps lag? Although ping lag and fps lag are correlated in this game, the less fps you have the higher the delay, or so I've been told.

Indeed fps lag, at times you can't even see what is happening coz it s totaly freezing your screen for seconds, i have a good computer and when i m solo in the open world or solo dungeon i have 0 issue. As an exemple, if i go celestial arena and just stand in the middle and make all mobs flying (on my brawler) and dps them i won t lag at all, but it s systematic lag in BR or DreadNaught on the big pack of mobs. But as said previously this is not just on pack of mobs, this happend as well on bosses. I can recreate the issue all the time if i wanted to.
  • edited July 2017
    Pompon wrote: »
    CornishRex wrote: »
    I think what you're describing is more like normal fps lag? Although ping lag and fps lag are correlated in this game, the less fps you have the higher the delay, or so I've been told.

Indeed fps lag, at times you can't even see what is happening coz it s totaly freezing your screen for seconds.

Yeah, this thread is only about network-related lag, not framerate lag. Framerate lag is also an issue, but has really nothing to do with the issue in this thread. This thread is dealing with the sort of lag where, although your framerate is just fine, all of a sudden the boss stops moving for a few seconds and then suddenly there's a giant "catch-up" where a whole bunch of attacks hit all at once, which can cause a party/raid to wipe. This sort of lag is because the client stopped receiving data from the server momentarily.

The sort of issue you're talking about seems like bad optimization in certain instanced content, which -- like I said -- is also a problem, just not this particular problem.
  • XristosxXristosx ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Seems like this was quietly unpinned from the first page even though this is still a issue. Same thing that always happens, you let people forget probably because half the people who were affected by this issue probably left and reduced the stress on the servers so it can seem like it was "fixed". Just making a post here so i can remember to reference this post the next time this issue comes up again in a month or two's time, so eventually maybe people might learn, Carry on.
    AwY6n1d.png
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pixelator wrote: »

Maybe they are closing other crap games? lol :eh:

PS: I haven't lagged once the whole July tho O.o
  • Firefly0037Firefly0037 ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    LesbianVi wrote: »

lucky. I've d/c'd five times today and 12 times a couple days ago. did a tracert, and the lag spike hits right when trying to connect to the saavis server. weakest connection I've ever seen.
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    LesbianVi wrote: »

lucky. I've d/c'd five times today and 12 times a couple days ago. did a tracert, and the lag spike hits right when trying to connect to the saavis server. weakest connection I've ever seen.

Yeah, we discussed this a lot, it is not really EME's problem, not trying to turn this around, but other games on NA faces same issue, it is that US is not good at providing internet even if they act like they do.

Look at SK, Japan, heck even Taiwan, and some European countries. Providers in NA sock :(
  • Only last 4 or 5 nodes present ping spikes,I'm not sure why they spike like that but since Tera is playable like a wet boot I'm playing something more productive, since events lack in substance compared to what I play.
    These nodes lag the most and they are located in the same area