Why you shouldn't use Discord!

edited July 13 in Off-Topic
People been asking why I hate it. Well, it's hard to explain every detail about it in global chat. I'm just stating to why I HATE IT so much. Plus what's this app called squirrel.app that it comes with? Simply JUNK! Because I don't want this JUNK on my computer!

Information You Provide: We collect information from you when you voluntarily provide such information, such as when you register for access to the Services or use certain Services. Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature.

Don't believe me?

ve7j20.png

Collecting any voice is too far!

It's the same guy that owns Discord.

https://techcrunch.com/2015/08/27/discord-citron/
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1236-gamers-sue-openfeint-in-class-action-lawsuit/

Compared to Teamspeak. This is it. More secure on your privacy.

https://teamspeak.com/privacy.html
  1. IP address of the users
  2. Used operation system and type (32 or 64 bit)
  3. Data about user behavior (particularly clicks, used menus)
  4. Crash report (program line, incident, basic data of computer hardware used)

I'm not advertising Teamspeak 3 nor do I work for them, I've been on Teamspeak 3 since Perfect World International times with my adopted family/friends of gamers, so to speak of. It's safe and secure to use Teamspeak 3. So if you want to use Discord go ahead and do so. I'm just warning you that your privacy has been compromised! So I simply will never use DISCORD, EVER!

Discord=Just simply disconnect the cord from it. Just don't use it! Get it? Discord.

Comments

• gibgib ✭✭✭
    transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only)

tran·sient
    ˈtranSHənt,ˈtranzēənt/Submit
    adjective
    lasting only for a short time; impermanent.

squirrel.app is an installer used in the installation process. taken directly from their twitter:

it's not like they're wire tapping your computer and listening to everything you say to blackmail you or use it against you, rofl. do you know how many people use discord? can you imagine tracking millions of peoples' voice communications daily? it's not plausible.

almost all services that require you to sign up and login will store your usernames passwords and emails.

take off your tin foil hat please
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest your privacy is gone the moment you are on the internet. Just be really smart about what you do to reduce that impact lol. It is the same for any VoIP application whose server isn't on your end. Teamspeak's sole practicality is not there because you have to either pay for a server depending on the size of your community or risk your particulars taken (the exact alleged problem with Discord you mentioned) to begin with on public servers. Discord has way more functionality for slightly less footprint and it is in essence free no matter how many people you have in your server.
  • gib wrote: »
    transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only)

tran·sient
    ˈtranSHənt,ˈtranzēənt/Submit
    adjective
    lasting only for a short time; impermanent.

squirrel.app is an installer used in the installation process. taken directly from their twitter:

it's not like they're wire tapping your computer and listening to everything you say to blackmail you or use it against you, rofl. do you know how many people use discord? can you imagine tracking millions of peoples' voice communications daily? it's not plausible.

almost all services that require you to sign up and login will store your usernames passwords and emails.

take off your tin foil hat please

It literally says it in the private policy and you don't even read the proof.

The guy has gotten sued once! It's free, because they sell your data. Like who is ever going to buy the merchandise? NO ONE! Unless you're a nerd. Plus the guy is a really not bright.
  • why you shouldn't use discord google it in search...first video. I can't post it on here because it's against the rules to have profane langauge.
  • Just because it's free is your excuse. Username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature. Everything!

I heard if the server is down, everyone is down. So technically it's their own servers on Discord. Unless you have your own server, then perhaps they can't steal data from you.

Teamspeak, they give you server. Mine is Texas and I live Texas even though my admin doesn't live there. Just a given server from teamspeak or you use your own. Teamspeak just sends crash reports. That's it.
  • RA4wOwv.png

They act so innocent. Bunch of lies.

In case you don't know, in Discord's ToS, there's a section named "Your Data" that's solely dedicated to what you post on this service. In this very section, one can find the following:

"By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy."

This can be found on the following page: [url=" https://discordapp.com/tos"] https://discordapp.com/tos[/url][

This means that whatever you write or upload to Discord can automatically be used by the Discord team for whatever purpose they want. Not only that, but they have no legal obligation to tell you what they do with your content.

This is a big issue, one that shouldn't be swept under the rug. The removal of this specific phrase from the ToS would be ideal; it's a very clear deal-breaker for those who care about privacy issues. On top of that, the competition has no such clauses: I haven't found an equivalent statement in Slack's ToS, for example.

I'd like to hear an honest answer from Discord's team, preferably one that doesn't go along the lines of "don't worry, the ToS is (not being used | not up-to-date | not being enforced)".

So yes they will. They do this, so they can't get sued, it's like a contact without out reading the fine print. Excuse me, but Discord is simply TRASH!
  • O.o sorry about that link.
  • So you should be thanking me. Otherwise do whatever if you want.
  • OH GOSH, so it's true they act innocent, but they really are using your data. ALL OF IT!

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/441sy8/discords_problematic_your_data_licensing_clause/

It reads.....

[–]vishnevskiy- Stanislav#7943 • • 37 points• 1 year ago

Hey there.

CTO of Discord here.

This part of the ToS is to allow us to send data through Discord on your behalf. This statement does exist in Slack but its definitely phrased differently.

" In order for us to provide the Service to you, we require that you grant us certain rights with respect to Your Data. For example, we need to be able to transmit, store and copy Your Data in order to display it to you and your teammates, to index it so you are able to search it, to make backups to prevent data loss, and so on. Your acceptance of this TOS gives us the permission to do so and grants us any such rights necessary to provide the service to you, only for the purpose of providing the service (and for no other purpose). This permission includes allowing us to use third-party service providers (such as Amazon Web Services) in the operation and administration of the Service and the rights granted to us are extended to these third parties to the degree necessary in order for the Service to be provided."

I have asked our CEO to look into making it sound more friendly. We have no intention of using your data for anything and hopefully we can clear that up in our ToS with friendlier language. It is currently this way "because lawyers". :)

https://www.symantec.com/connect/app#!/blogs/attackers-use-discord-voip-chat-servers-host-nanocore-njrat-spyrat

I got loads of proof, are you sure you want to use Discord? I'm just protecting people from using it.
  • Simply backup should be the program and not them using your data. Make sense?
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    OH GOSH, so it's true they act innocent, but they really are using your data. ALL OF IT!

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/441sy8/discords_problematic_your_data_licensing_clause/

It reads.....

[–]vishnevskiy- Stanislav#7943 • • 37 points• 1 year ago

Hey there.

CTO of Discord here.

This part of the ToS is to allow us to send data through Discord on your behalf. This statement does exist in Slack but its definitely phrased differently.

" In order for us to provide the Service to you, we require that you grant us certain rights with respect to Your Data. For example, we need to be able to transmit, store and copy Your Data in order to display it to you and your teammates, to index it so you are able to search it, to make backups to prevent data loss, and so on. Your acceptance of this TOS gives us the permission to do so and grants us any such rights necessary to provide the service to you, only for the purpose of providing the service (and for no other purpose). This permission includes allowing us to use third-party service providers (such as Amazon Web Services) in the operation and administration of the Service and the rights granted to us are extended to these third parties to the degree necessary in order for the Service to be provided."

I have asked our CEO to look into making it sound more friendly. We have no intention of using your data for anything and hopefully we can clear that up in our ToS with friendlier language. It is currently this way "because lawyers". :)

https://www.symantec.com/connect/app#!/blogs/attackers-use-discord-voip-chat-servers-host-nanocore-njrat-spyrat

I got loads of proof, are you sure you want to use Discord? I'm just protecting people from using it.

Idk about you but your link has no relation to the ToS lol. I don't really know whether you want to prove that discord is unsafe for privacy or that you can get hacked for using it.

There are lots of answers to the ToS in question. If they sell your data, they are actually liable to penalties. From what I know, the program has no keyloggers nor any mechanism capable of holding valuable information unless of course you make that really bad mistake of showing your account details online.
    By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Content with the Service, you grant to us a perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display Your Content in connection with operating and providing the Service.

I believe the above statement is what you feel is a cause of concern. But said content is not inclusive of fundamentally sensitive information such as your name, email and password. If you are releasing said information via this channel, then I guess the problem is yours :/

However, black hat hackers have always been able to work around that. The link you have shown is basically hackers using Discord as a medium. You can do the exact same thing with Teamspeak as well, so I really don't know what's the actual fuss. The actual truth is, a discord server with proper management of permissions has a similar level of security as a Teamspeak server. That is the sole advantage of capitalising on a bigger server rather than one which you own. Also, "free" servers which you thought you are in aren't really free from the publishers themselves, but from third party websites. The owner of the TS server would have paid for the server in some sort (either as a self-hosted server or using a paid/free third party server provider which again is as unsafe as discord by that very logic)

I can see why you don't want a repeat incident from Discord's developers who has had a record for selling data before. But your links are really outdated (The ToS has already been editted 2 months ago to accommodate even more to privacy, read the new ToS if you don't believe me) and your arguments honestly didn't make any sense. And third party applications have already been warned on the very ToS.
  • Let me get this straight! Do you even notice how they speak?

Look at the line.....https://reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/441sy8/discords_problematic_your_data_licensing_clause/

"I have asked our CEO to look into making it sound more friendly. We have no intention of using your data for anything and hopefully we can clear that up in our ToS with friendlier language. It is currently this way "because lawyers".<-They act really suspicious

How non-bright can they be? Really non-bright. Because lawyers LOL suspicious.

If they know that, they are the non-bright people stealing your information! They do this to prevent on being sued, so they act so innocent. Plus how do they make money? Think about it! Selling your data! I don't think they can manage to hold their company by just selling sticker packs, sound packs, and skins. Also who would want to buy this useless of clothing? https://merch.discordapp.com/

I'm surprised you missed that OpenFeint got sued. It claims the gaming company, OpenFeint, collected the identifiers, tied them to things like location, and Facebook profiles without giving users adequate notice about its practices. Which was made by Jason Citron himself! So really, this is the main reason to why I never use it! If you want to keep using it, go ahead and give your data. Just be careful of what you post, because they will use it! All your data by post!

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1236-gamers-sue-openfeint-in-class-action-lawsuit/

They got sued, so why would you use Discord? The logic in my head tells me DISCORD IS TRASH and it's a bunch of freeloaders! This why I'm sharing you this information! Use at your own risk, but whatever you post be careful. Just remember, username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature.

It's free, so how do they make money? Selling your data! Think about it.

Look at all the video links in this forum. I can't post the videos here due to profanity language. So viewer discretion is advised.

darkstar-alliance.com/mobile/forum/viewthread/m/27249981/id/29377022-if-you-use-discord-read-this

Just simply don't use DISCORD!

• https://blog.discordapp.com/how-discord-stores-billions-of-messages-7fa6ec7ee4c7

You mention you store messages..so you're actually reading everything! Bunch of non-brights.

How non-bright are you Discord? VERY!

vinesauce.com/vinetalk/viewtopic.php?t=7400

Someone mentioned....Don't believe me? I signed up to test this. As far as I know; according to law, companies have to make sure you read the TOS & PP (i.e. the little tick box that everyone ticks without actually reading it). When I signed up, I never got this notice. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is illegal, and therefore Discord is committing a crime.

They don't want you to read the policy and TOS. That's suspicious.

Come back to me when you check your email everyday. Do you get junk mail? Now you know it's working. If not you're lucky, but for legit reasons they do sell your data or might use your data.

I'm just stating facts. So I'm ending it right here. I'm very resourceful to finding legit reasons to why you shouldn't use Discord.
  • MistyTeraMistyTera ✭✭
    edited July 15
    First things first, a ToS/ privacy policy is NOT a legally binding document. It's more a set of rules that both the user and the company agree to and it may or may not hold up in court. These things sometimes give the company more rights than they actually use, just in case they choose to at a later time (collecting data, sharing it with partners, etc.). So that in mind, they can't go to jail. It's like signing up for a contact.

So technically they are non-bright freeloaders by acting so innocent.
  • gibgib ✭✭✭

It's free, so how do they make money? Selling your data! Think about it.

by your logic, all free games / applications make money by selling your data? do you even read what you say?
    First things first, a ToS/ privacy policy is NOT a legally binding document. It's more a set of rules that both the user and the company agree to and it may or may not hold up in court. These things sometimes give the company more rights than they actually use, just in case they choose to at a later time (collecting data, sharing it with partners, etc.). So that in mind, they can't go to jail. It's like signing up for a contact.

So technically they are non-bright freeloaders by acting so innocent.

a quick google search tells you that terms of service are legally binding and do hold up in court