Slightly different from usual newbie class question

Hi, i recently started playing tera and tried out archer, sorc, brawler, valk, and warrior.
How is archer vs sorc in pve ? i do know that archer is more newbie friendly and easier to dish out dmg as well as having low ping to maximize focus (which i have) and that sorc takes more of a practice of rotations and harder to land crit with it than archer, but how do they compare in end game dungeons? for example, which one of the two has an easier time going to the boss's back or solo'ing IoD bams?
And also, which is the flashiest class (of all classes) in terms of skills and satisfying hits/dmg?
And two last things, is reaper good ? and which class has the fastest cd on skills ? (fast rotations)
thank you for your replies in advance !

Comments

• ArdireArdire ✭✭✭✭
    archer is easier around the board. easiest PVE class overall and the damage is nuts. obviously sorc has flashier skills effects and all but archer is just.......... man leagues easier.

reaper is good in pvp. in pve they're pretty meh right now. and archer would have the fastest cd on skills but they don't really have a "rotation" moreso focusing on priority skills. warrior as well is worth mentioning for fastest rotation, they move faster than a hedgehog on crack.
  • Ardire wrote: »
    archer is easier around the board. easiest PVE class overall and the damage is nuts. obviously sorc has flashier skills effects and all but archer is just.......... man leagues easier.

reaper is good in pvp. in pve they're pretty meh right now. and archer would have the fastest cd on skills but they don't really have a "rotation" moreso focusing on priority skills. warrior as well is worth mentioning for fastest rotation, they move faster than a hedgehog on crack.

is there a huge gap in damage between archer and sorc?
  • LYC14LYC14 ✭✭
    edited July 16
    You can take a look at: https://www.essentialmana.com/class-overview/ for answers to your abovementioned questions.

And yes, there is a noticeable, but not insurmountable gap, between DPS of archer and that of sorcerer. Both classes can perform well in end-game dungeons but archers can farm IOD much faster and easier than sorcerer due to the staggering effect on Final Salvo.
  • sshadessshades
    edited July 16
    Your questions, in order, with slightly more detail.

1. In general, most people would say archer has an advantage in the current patch.
    2. One of the ways that I look at this to remove as much bias as possible is to look at ranking sites organized by class on end game bosses. The results are that in general the top ranked sorcs tend to do slightly more dps than the top ranked archers. However, if you look down at say rank 50 or rank 100, you'll see that those archers tend to do better dps than the corresponding sorc. Conclusion, archer damage is more consistent and easier to maximize. However, sorc damage has a higher potential at the top end if you play everything perfectly.
    3. Both actually have kind of similar gameplay compared to most other classes. In particular, your damage doesn't become absolutely nothing if you accidentally do a couple skills from the side instead of the back. One of the bigger differences is that the range sweet spot is a few meters further away for archer than sorc (based on the range of important skills). Archer is noticeably easier to survive with though, and that should make IoD mobs easier in my opinion.
    4. My guess is probably reaper because it's the only one where the game makes use of camera angles on a lot of skills to make you "feel" your combos. In other action games that do a better job of this, it makes the game play engine feel much more fluid and dynamic. This is a very subjective question though.
    5. The best reaper in the rankings is SO MUCH better than everyone else that it's hard to say. It makes the class look like it has a ton of potential, but if you ignore the top player as just an outlier everyone else makes the class look kind of mediocre. That's not to say it's one of the bad classes, it's definitely not. But with the exception of that one player, it's roughly the same as the other dps classes except for valk (overpowered) and the three under-powered classes.
    6. Not sure if this is the answer that you're looking for, but Berserker has one of their best skills on a 3 second cooldown.
  • TXK4KWL6DD wrote: »
    Hi, i recently started playing tera and tried out archer, sorc, brawler, valk, and warrior.
    How is archer vs sorc in pve ? i do know that archer is more newbie friendly and easier to dish out dmg as well as having low ping to maximize focus (which i have) and that sorc takes more of a practice of rotations and harder to land crit with it than archer, but how do they compare in end game dungeons? for example, which one of the two has an easier time going to the boss's back or solo'ing IoD bams?
    And also, which is the flashiest class (of all classes) in terms of skills and satisfying hits/dmg?
    And two last things, is reaper good ? and which class has the fastest cd on skills ? (fast rotations)

sourcer is no for newbies, because is no casual class like brawler and valkirie, so is no newbie friendly................
  • sshades wrote: »
    snip.
    your reply was absolutely perfect. thank you
  • PalominaPalomina ✭✭✭
    TXK4KWL6DD wrote: »

sourcer is no for newbies, because is no casual class like brawler and valkirie, so is no newbie friendly................

Stop talking BS already. Valk is nowhere near a casual class. If you don't play it then don't spit BS about it because you are misguiding newbies.
  • PalominaPalomina ✭✭✭

Both archer and sorc are on par when it comes to DPS. They have pretty similar damage output but like others have said before, archer is easier to play. In fact it wouldn't be wrong to say that archer is by far the easiest dps class to play right now.

As an archer you do not have to worry about keeping up or losing any big buffs, there are no strict rotations that you have to follow and you are ranged. Sorc is pretty much opposite of this. Both of them perform fine in the endgame dungeons. Archer has an easier time dishing out dps while sorc has warp barrier and stone skin that can protect them from certain attacks that cannot be normally iframed. Archer is definitely better for soloing IOD but lmao you shouldn't base your main around farming IOD. With +15 vm9 weap any class except maybe healers can solo IOD pretty easily. Archer can run to boss's back while charging radiant arrow or pen arrow while sorc can do so while charging arcane pulse or just use teleport jaunt. I'd personally recommend playing archer over sorc though just because how 'chilled' that class feels lmao

I think this will be different for everyone because it is a personal opinion. For example , zerk use fewer skills in pve but they hit for big numbers while warrior has many skills in their rotation but they don't hit for big numbers like zerk skills do. I would recommend watching videos of skill animations of various classes and decide for yourself. For me, I think slayers look flashy and cool swinging their greatsword :grin:

And two last things, is reaper good ?

Yes reaper is definitely very good both in pve and pvp.
    and which class has the fastest cd on skills ? (fast rotations) thank you for your replies in advance !

Warrior hands down has the fastest and most dynamic rotation. In fact, executing warrior rotations with their maximum efficiency can be a overwhelming task for people not skilled with that class. Warriors also have lots of safety options. If I were to choose my main class once again I would definitely say go for warrior or archer. Hope this helped! :smile:
  • Palomina wrote: »
    snip

your reply was fantastic but one quick question, does valkyrie really outdamage sorc / archers by a lot?
  • Palomina wrote: »

Stop talking BS already. Valk is nowhere near a casual class. If you don't play it then don't spit BS about it because you are misguiding newbies.

no, valkirye is no casual class....................................................:thonking:
  • TXK4KWL6DD wrote: »
    Palomina wrote: »
    snip

your reply was fantastic but one quick question, does valkyrie really outdamage sorc / archers by a lot?

Per rankings at end game bosses, valk beats most of the other DPS classes by ~40% right now (I didn't do a bunch of math to get this, it's just a ballpark estimate from scanning rankings for different classes). The best valks do >30% more DPS than the best sorcs. The difference is even greater for archers.

This is also why you see disagreements about how hard it is to play valk. There are a lot of different things to keep track of, so maximizing your DPS is difficult. However, even if you only do about two thirds of your potential DPS, you'll still be better than many of the other class's maximum potential DPS. Even if you're pretty lazy when you play a valk (or have high ping), you can still be competitive against other classes with similar gear.

Don't bank on valk staying this way though. New classes always start out a bit OP when they're released. The valk should eventually see some nerfs the same way that gunner and brawler did.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    snip

Valk out puts higher dps towards higher efficiency but Valk also has a big gap between low and high. They have more to keep track of and higher penalty for dying which results in them not doing a whole lot when played poorly, but when played efficiently they go up quite a lot. A class like Archer doesn't have much to worry about other than avoiding things like spamming auto attacks.

This means if you want to min-max and learn a class then Valk is better, if you want something easier and reliable then Archer is better.
  • PalominaPalomina ✭✭✭
    snip

Like others have told you before me, valk is really a hit or miss type of class. If you play perfectly (and the rest of your party too) - yes you will outdamage other classes by 30-40%. The only problem here is that this is not going to happen in 95% of the time. You see it not only requires you to be a top player but others in your party must play perfectly too. Lets say a tank loses aggro and you suddenly front/side crit (or not crit at all) your shining crescent instead of a back crit then you are going to suffer a lot more dps loss than a archer would have , reason being that shining crescent contributes over 50% of your total dps and it has a high cd outside ragnarok. Also, if you do not have enough points for ragnarok at the beginning of boss fight and for the first enrage cycle then your dps will again come down by a lot. This usually tends to happen if your party wipes on boss on their 1st try and afterwards you have no ragnarok.

As a valk, you have to keep track of many things just like the guys above me said. For example, you must know at which hp% boss is going to enrage next because you want to fill up your ragnarok meter before that and you must accordingly get the bloodflower resets. Valk is a burst dps class ; not a consistent dps like an archer. This is why even 1 death at the crucial moment can cause you to lose massive amounts of dps.

As a valk main I will tell you this - valk has very avg survivability and mobility. The only thing they got is the OP dps but that is only if you are really efficient with them and put in time and effort learning the class. Keep in mind that valk is a very dynamic and complex class. Your combos and the way you get bloodflower resets will change depending on boss mechanics and boss rng. In future if valk gets nerfed hard it will be a literally trash class, even worse than gunner or ninja because at least those classes got many safety option but valk is a very risk-reward based class. If they remove the reward (which is high dps) there is no other incentive to play the class unless you really enjoy it. Compared to playing valk, which can feel like a hassle sometimes, archer is pretty 'chilled' class. You do not have to worry about a set rotation or big buffs. Archers put out consistent dps so even 1 or 2 deaths won't affect your dps that much.

TL;DR - if you want to play a dynamic/complex class that can put out op dps when you min-max it then play valk, although at your own peril since it might get nerfed in future leaving you with a class which has avg surviability/mobility and dps. If you want a class that is easier , safer and chilled to play and outputs lower but much more consistent dps then go archer.
  • PalominaPalomina ✭✭✭

no, valkirye is no casual class....................................................:thonking:

You can keep 'thonking' for the rest of your life and probably won't be able to figure it out. Just answer my simple question , have you even bothered to play valk ever? and please not on basic but at least intermediate level because on basic gameplay level even warrior or sorc can seem like a casual class.
  • PalominaPalomina ✭✭✭
    sshades wrote: »
    However, even if you only do about two thirds of your potential DPS, you'll still be better than many of the other class's maximum potential DPS. Even if you're pretty lazy when you play a valk (or have high ping), you can still be competitive against other classes with similar gear.

Nah that is simply not true. If you do that then you will more often than not get outdps'ed by archers/sorcs/warriors. Also valk is not a class for lazy ppl , plz don't even think of playing valk if you are lazy you will sorely regret it. Keep in mind that valk is top dps class so, people will judge you accordingly. Nobody will call you good if you outdps a warrior/archer/sorc by 100k. Many a times your credit for doing good dps is taken away because duh valk is top dps class.