[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

VS Mentor Event

Comments

• Fantastic event eme, noobs who will start mobs and then tell you you cant leave now you have to suffer for rewards with aids crystals and rolls when trying to disband. Perfect job trying to get end game players to help. Make it so you cant take a friend, cant choose who to carry, cant get reward if the new person decides to leave. 10/10 mEME
  • czczczczczcz ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hmm.

1. 5 rookies (not unskilled, lol) with nobody to teach them
    2. 5 skilled players with no rookies to teach and to get rewards for
    3. must solo queue and risk either of these outcomes depending on what your character's clear count is
    4. event is reserved for instances with difficulty levels such that inadequacy in any of the three roles may result in a run that cannot be finished - e.g. not enough skilled players to teach rookies, or just plain IM incompetence
    5. forced segregation of player communities within each server due to solo queue requirement
    6. can't double heal anything for extra safety because IM
    7. no extra entries to account for potential pitfalls

Since there's nothing to be done from the event side of the issue, you guys could probably do something about the entry count. Make it so that IM doesn't use up your daily allowance or something like that. Reset scrolls could probably be abused, though, unless it's limited to 1 reset scroll a day given out after the run is engaged and the entry is consumed. Unfortunately existing reset scrolls don't match up to the set you've opened the event up to.

Actually, maybe giving skilled players a free reset a day might not be a bad idea. IM and it works out = great, IM and it doesn't work out = no loss.
  • 66ECX7NAN766ECX7NAN7 ✭✭✭✭
    Please tell BHS that the way this tool came out of the box is crap
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    czczcz wrote: »
    Hmm.

1. 5 rookies (not unskilled, lol) with nobody to teach them
    2. 5 skilled players with no rookies to teach and to get rewards for

Wondering how many "skilled" players are actually queveing and how many "unskilled" players are doing the same.

If more "unskilled" players in queve are so few to get one in a party then that's the way things have gone for kicking them from parties every time skilled players wanted to sync queve with others or simply becuase never cared to "carry" an unskilled player that would hurt their run.

This event is for comunity to try and get along but just look at the posts here, almost no one wants to deal with people outside their social circle.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    This event is for comunity to try and get along but just look at the posts here, almost no one wants to deal with people outside their social circle.

The way I see it, It's less to do with being afraid of leaving my social circle and more to do with having limited amounts of free time and refusing to spend several hours trapped with people who refuse to learn, as is the standard of IMS. I queue with my friend all the time, and we end up with 3 randoms. I enjoy it. It's nice seeing other people behaving strangely (as IMS players tend to do) and I get to have fun with my friend at the same time, since the two of us can generally carry even the worst groups through some rough content. This isn't fun alone though. It's like, if you get lost driving somewhere but your buddy is with you, it's not so bad. But if you get lost alone, then there's no one to laugh about it with and it just sucks.
  • cyzrongcyzrong ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    It seems that my post disappeared or something. o_O

@Halrath
    Please make the announcement clearer on the fact that the event requires the player to solo-queue instance matching.
    It would be better than having it clarified by word of mouth. :)

"1) They enter any of the above dungeons via instance matching (Solo) and
    2) An unskilled player joins their group and
    3) That player completes the dungeon run."

(1) Remove instance matching as a requirement entirely. Just having an unskilled player in the party should be sufficient.
    While this would allow players to circumvent the rationale of the event with alts, doing the above would at least allow the population of players who want to genuinely participate in the event to damage control how trap the run could potentially be.
    There is little to no learning when all you're doing is wiping over and over.

(2) Tiered rewards. More unskilled players in the party clearing = Better rewards.
    It would deter players from kicking the "excess" unskilled players.

• ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    voidy wrote: »
    This isn't fun alone though. It's like, if you get lost driving somewhere but your buddy is with you, it's not so bad. But if you get lost alone, then there's no one to laugh about it with and it just sucks.

Yeah, I agree with you there.
  • I'm doing this way as healer, let the noob die and only ress at the end of the boss. If he complains just ignore.
  • LOL soloqueue vshm HAHAHAHA good luck

my pocketheal actually tried and spent 10min on the last 5% of HM Dakuryon before wiping at 0%. as for me, no thanks I don't feel like tanking for some... differently abled random I'll never meet again, and it would be even funnier if I ended up queuing into some [filtered] I've blacklisted before lol.

I dont know how the other dungeons work out because I don't fancy running faceroll garbage but in the context of vshm and/or other 5-star content, if you're gonna use an event to encourage skilled players to teach newbies, the skilled player(s) should be able to have at least one friend of his choice with him because carrying 4 rookies in vshm is very simply not happening. The other thing is I'd like to be able to choose which rookie to train - if we're gonna train people obviously we want something out of it in the long term (that is, larger pool of skilled players to run with), and with the IM-only requirement that's a bit impossible. Allowing people to lfg for a similar event also allows for more flexibility with party comps, so we can run doubleheal to train a healer (so an exp'd healer can show newbie healer how to position, when to not get into animlocks, etc.) or even doubletank (easier to show other tanks the more subtle nuances of positioning bosses rather than to tell them).
  • kknaexkknaex ✭✭
    so to prevent ppl spam this loot they have to make premade team unable to have the loot? like there r skilled ppl's alts and party up with guilie
  • kknaexkknaex ✭✭
    I managed to finshed a vshm run, i wonder the if the noc rewards made up for the cost
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

And how many of those people are you actually going to be able to interact with after the run? Remember, IM is for every server. Chances are you'll never see each other again. You'd have a point if it was LFG.
  • berrymilkberrymilk ✭✭✭
    I entered solo que I'm unskilled on berserker but didn't recieve rewards is it only for skill people right?
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    berrymilk wrote: »
    I entered solo que I'm unskilled on berserker but didn't recieve rewards is it only for skill people right?

Right, the reward is only for the skilled people in the group who solo queued in.
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    Well people have said how his event doesn't make any sense, but I will put my take on it.

The idea is good, the execution however is horrible.

Rewards are good, but most people find it not worth the effort. There are many reasons for this.

1) Most IMS players actually don't know what they are doing even in three star dungeons. Heck even LFG has enough weaker players to offset this. VS is a four star dungeon, and a new one at that which meant that the difficulty is generally slightly harder than returning dungeons. The difficulty in general is that you must at least be able to do three star dungeons and outperform even in an otherwise useless party to even have a chance to clear the dungeon. Indicators to know you are ready for four stars include the potential use of third party applications which are banned. You can't just say "Oh I cleared Velik's Hold I am ready for Velik's Sanctuary", there must still be that minimum aptitude for the class, knowing your rotations and what not even if you are new to the dungeon.

2) Most players are unwilling to sacrifice hours of their time to teach people who potentially will still be useless. If it is a friend, maybe you do it out of your friendship and ties. But no one will teach a complete stranger especially if they don't know what to do.

3) 5 runs do not equate to actually being skilled in the dungeon, and neither do 10. KTera did a horrible job in the skilled tag.

4) The event doesn't really serve its purpose in the end. Rookies will remain rookies due to the same toxicity people will have from the start of the run.

The list continues but these 4 are the main ones.

A better way to execute this event would be a guide-based event where players create guides about everything. Start from classes, followed by dungeons before introducing the invite a rookie system where maybe you can do what the event is doing right now. The idea is to give rookies more exposure and insight from experienced players about how their class can be played and how the dungeons can be played. I won't guarentee that everyone will be skilled after these series of events, but there will be an increase in general skill level even in the IMS sector.