Guild Wars 2 Announces its 2nd Expansion

While Tera is choking and dying, seems GW2's doing just fine. Not sure how I feel about them finally bringing mounts in but some of those new maps look amazing.

Comments

• BonbonnieBonbonnie ✭✭✭
    Guilds Wars 2 > TERA
    At least it knows when to listen to its players. I left a while back after Valk release. They weren't listening to the actual problems with the game and what players wanted, so I figured it was time I put all my mmo hours into GW2, the superior game.
  • CaityGCaityG ✭✭
    I quit around the time Brawler was announced. I've come back now and again in between content updates in gw2 just to waste time.. I mean, GW2's actual content updates, not just re-released dungeons upscaled to address the power creep. It's sad how absolutely watered down Tera is now, and the treadmill of gear just keeps it from being fun. I moved to GW2 almost 2 years ago and I really haven't bothered looking back.

Looks like plenty of fun grind ahead in Path of Flames at least. :D
  • GelosGelos ✭✭
    yeah I am waiting on release got my expanision and new toon ofc. where would we be without both. =)
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    from what i understand you need at least the guild war 2 and the 2 expans to get the minimun standard

at least tera is free expans, so you dont need to buy more to have a chance to get the best stuff :)

anyway guild war 2 competition is black desert :)
  • CaityGCaityG ✭✭
    Actually I do believe you don't need HOT to get Path of Flames, and buying PoF unlocks the core game too. Two years ago when I got HOT from a friend it unlocked the base GW2 along with it.

Sure you do have to pay, but the quality of the expansion blows away the joke that was Fate of Arun. And once you pay, you're done. I hear BDO is dying off already and is a lot more of a grind than GW2 is.

No gear is in the cash shop (just skins and non-essential toys, minipets that have no function besides cosmetics, and utility consumables that are again, not mandatory) and can all be obtained in game through in game means. That being said just like EMP you can use Gems to make it easier... you can actually convert gold into the cash currency, or cash currency into gold, and the exchange rate automatically adjusts depending on how many people are doing one or the other. None of this "Selling EMP 1:50" BS you see spamming up map all the time.

...And did I mention all fashion unlocks like outfits, dyes, glider skins etc are account wide? Yeah. And you can at least reskin your gear at will.
  • CaityG wrote: »
    While Tera is choking and dying, seems GW2's doing just fine. Not sure how I feel about them finally bringing mounts in but some of those new maps look amazing.

I'm pretty excited for this xpac. HoT had a good story to tell and loved everything outside of needing maps with coordinated people to unlock parts of your personal story. But yeah have a lot of characters there on JQ never a dull moment.
  • CaityG wrote: »
    Actually I do believe you don't need HOT to get Path of Flames, and buying PoF unlocks the core game too. Two years ago when I got HOT from a friend it unlocked the base GW2 along with it.

Sure you do have to pay, but the quality of the expansion blows away the joke that was Fate of Arun. And once you pay, you're done. I hear BDO is dying off already and is a lot more of a grind than GW2 is.

No gear is in the cash shop (just skins and non-essential toys, minipets that have no function besides cosmetics, and utility consumables that are again, not mandatory) and can all be obtained in game through in game means. That being said just like EMP you can use Gems to make it easier... you can actually convert gold into the cash currency, or cash currency into gold, and the exchange rate automatically adjusts depending on how many people are doing one or the other. None of this "Selling EMP 1:50" BS you see spamming up map all the time.

...And did I mention all fashion unlocks like outfits, dyes, glider skins etc are account wide? Yeah. And you can at least reskin your gear at will.

Forgot to mention the other great part achievement thresholds give you bonus items including gems. AND the achievements are accountwide which I love, cause after you do them you can go back for fun. Games with per character stuff for achieves is always a crappy farm, especially when the laurel thresholds give you nothing but a border with color.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    CaityG wrote: »

from what i understand the poor guy who bought guild war 2 in 2012 didnt get free expans and have to buy the expans if he want to enjoy the full guild war 2

i dont critic the game content itself, but you should admit it may cost to this player 110$ to enjoy the full guild war 2, so it is expensive for me

if black desert is dying is mean guild war 2 also dying, because all the channel in black desert are full even at night in the week, only the newbie channel are empty, because after 30 days the system kick you from these channels, ingame i see a lot people in all the town
  • vkobe wrote: »

from what i understand the poor guy who bought guild war 2 in 2012 didnt get free expans and have to buy the expans if he want to enjoy the full guild war 2

i dont critic the game content itself, but you should admit it may cost to this player 110$ to enjoy the full guild war 2, so it is expensive for me

if black desert is dying is mean guild war 2 also dying, because all the channel in black desert are full even at night in the week, only the newbie channel are empty, because after 30 days the system kick you from these channels, ingame i see a lot people in all the town

I see quite a bit of the players in BDO are just muelling their skills. Most are on auto to afk crafting, horse riding, carrying, etc.

Though there are plenty doing things in the game, like camping the lesser geared players leaving towns XD
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    Werebunny wrote: »
    vkobe wrote: »

I see quite a bit of the players in BDO are just muelling their skills. Most are on auto to afk crafting, horse riding, carrying, etc.

Though there are plenty doing things in the game, like camping the lesser geared players leaving towns XD

it is not so easy to camp the lesser geared player, the system is like in mount tyranna and it punish more harder if you attack and kill these players, only some crazy players camp lesser players, the karma system doesnt forgive you in black desert
  • WerebunnyWerebunny ✭✭
    edited August 8

it is not so easy to camp the lesser geared player, the system is like in mount tyranna and it punish more harder if you attack and kill these players, only some crazy players camp lesser players, the karma system doesnt forgive you in black desert

They changed something a couple weeks ago in BDO to make karma bombing easier. Gain karma back faster. One reason I don't level any other characters unless I have people online to play with XD
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭

They changed something a couple weeks ago in BDO to make karma bombing easier. Gain karma back faster. One reason I don't level any other characters unless I have people online to play with XD

well in the forum they still complaint the karma punish hem too hard, so now you just go naked and if a dude with his tet 15 kill you he go full red and you only need to kill 2 people to have 100% bad karma on your head :)

like i said only some crazy guy camp and kill lesser player, but it is not like in mount tyranna with lumbertown, the system will made you suffer if you become a outlaw player
  • CaityGCaityG ✭✭

The expansion wasn't free for anyone, if memory serves. Everyone had to pay to play, new or old. They never said the expacs were free.

The prices are a lot lower than last year, 30 bucks or so for the basic version. That's not expensive at all considering what some morons here spend on EMP RNG boxes on a daily basis. XD

And yes, what Werebunny said. GW2 at least has account-wide achieves with cumulative points that never get removed or invalidated when dungeons are added/removed (then again, when the game doesn't have a gear treadmill you don't have to add/remove dungeons, so...). After the third time being bumped off of diamond I just gave up bothering achieve farming in Tera.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭

The expansion wasn't free for anyone, if memory serves. Everyone had to pay to play, new or old. They never said the expacs were free.

The prices are a lot lower than last year, 30 bucks or so for the basic version. That's not expensive at all considering what some morons here spend on EMP RNG boxes on a daily basis. XD

And yes, what Werebunny said. GW2 at least has account-wide achieves with cumulative points that never get removed or invalidated when dungeons are added/removed (then again, when the game doesn't have a gear treadmill you don't have to add/remove dungeons, so...). After the third time being bumped off of diamond I just gave up bothering achieve farming in Tera.

yes, but remember in tera you dont need to pay to enjoy full content

in black desert you only need to pay once time and you can enjoy all the full content

in guild war 2 in 2012 you paid 60$ and in 2015 you cant enjoy the full content if you dont pay an extra of 49$ and now you still have the same problem with the second extans :p

so maybe guild war 2 content is better, but the game itself is very expensive if you are 2012 veteran player :/
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    from what i understand you need at least the guild war 2 and the 2 expans to get the minimun standard

at least tera is free expans, so you dont need to buy more to have a chance to get the best stuff :)

anyway guild war 2 competition is black desert :)

Tera isn't free, someone else paid even if you didn't (Which by the way you can buy GW2 expansions with gold if you convert them to gems...). Either way, unless you never spend money GW is actually cheaper given just about everything bought there is account wide or can just be moved between characters, unlike Tera where you have to purchase something for each character.