[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance on 9/23 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Proposed Fixes for Class Skills

Could I make suggestions on how changes could be made to the game so that some people do not feel that they have to use certain third party programs?

Actually, I will make my suggestion anyways, a suggestion I made back in May when things blew up over these.
clfarron4 wrote: »
@Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.

Why? Well.
Spacecats wrote: »
@Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

So, how could things possibly be changes so that with these multi-hit skills do the same amount of hits in a similar time irrespective of ping? Well, there are a two ways that I can see:

1) The 3rd party programs to emulate low ping. Yes, we know which ones. And it would seem that this is not a preferred approach by EME

2) Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.

It can be pretty unfortunate for players with higher ping to use those skills, I agree. There are often "high latency builds" for glyphs and rotations that simply ignore those abilities in the case that your ping is so high that it affects them. That's not an excuse for why the skills shouldn't be changed mechanically, but there are workarounds. There are players out there that still do decent DPS (enough to clear hard mode dungeons) with those other builds.

Let's see:

Rapid Fire (Archer): If i'm not mistaken, since the Archer Revamp, this skill is both a core DPS skill because it got buffs and contributes to a secondary buff mechanic. For higher ping players, using it means they get to use the secondary mechanic at the cost of doubling the time it takes to cast the skill; not using it means a severely reduced usage of the secondary mechanic and no equivalent fillers to make up for the DPS loss that a low ping player would have. I would say that's a significant disadvantage to them, even if they can clear without it. EDIT: Luniack's post below explains this visually very well with a video reference AND is applicable to players within the United States and Canada.

Burning Heart (Ninja) and Burst Fire (Gunner): If I'm not mistaken, these are intermediary DPS skills that you use with the secondary meters whilst the big skills (so, Fire Avalanche and Balders) are on cool down. And I believe that they can hit for quite a bit. Leaving them in slows down your rotation because you are casting them slower (therefore lowering your overall DPS) and I don't think that eliminating them from a rotation is a good idea because it'd be quite a notable DPS loss.

Shield Barrage (Lancer) and Rising Fury (Warrior): Whilst these skills are only two activation long chains, they are core skills that you use often to activate other important skills (Spring Attack for Lancer, Blade Draw for Warrior). For Lancer, high ping does noticeably slow down Shield Barrage, which adds up over the course of a fight and removing this skill from the rotation is essentially the same as kissing the class goodbye (yeah, it literally doesn't work without this skill). For Warriors, again it's slower, though it's a minor convenience if you remove Rising Fury.

There are other skills which I could probably add into this as well, but I mostly play Warrior and Lancer.