[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

IS the elite status (Subscription) p2w?

A lot of the effects really seem pay to win, especially the EVERFUL NOSTRUM which gives crit power and reduced cooldowns.

Comments

• DreickDreick ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    No, you can buy everything in the merchants or trade broker. But it is very useful due to the village atlas or travel journal, especially in events.

You can also buy elite status voucher from Trade Broker , that costs around 60k-80k gold [MT].
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    and you can get heaps of everfull nostrum just doing dailys and its sellable to help you buy elite with gold
  • What kind of topic is this....
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    the standard "this game is P2W" topic
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is P2W but its in a way that you feel like you are trowing you money in the trash can.
  • ElinUsagi wrote: »
    Is P2W but its in a way that you feel like you are trowing you money in the trash can.

the only p2w thing in tera are the costumes.
  • tisnotme wrote: »
    the standard "this game is P2W" topic

Actually, it's the kind of topic that's asking if the game is p2w before I invest time into it because I'm unaware of how the systems in game compliment the 15 dollar a month sub. If the that gives in combat advantages are purchasable from vendors via in-game currency then I don't consider this p2w. Which is why I was asking. Thanks for all your responses!
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tera is not p2w, BDO, C9, BnS are. The only good thing about Tera that it is not p2w and also you can obtain everything by playing. Well, Nexon is trying to ruin this part too. so, yeah, that's that.
  • edited September 2017
    Tera is a game that isn't pay to win but it can be. You can earn everything ingame with hard work effort and it will take you months to gear up or even weeks depending on your skill level and willingness to grind out "hard" dungeons.

You can earn everything in this game without paying but the incentives to pay are alot more appealing then the time and hours it would take for you to grind to get those mats and resources to craft your top gear or even enchant your mid tier gear set.

Loot boxes from the cash shop are a faster easier quicker way to get Masterwork alkahest,premium alkahest ,extensive alkahest, Blessed engimatic scrolls, semis and the shot at a weapon skin or costume worth alot of gold. Dragons that give crit passives for pve and soon the new mount which will allow you to have an extra ressurection in a raid or dungeon per 24 hours.

If you buy elite for 15$ a month you can enter and farm dungeons alot more then you can as a free player.

not pay a tax to market your items on broker and get a box that gives you more gold items as well as having everful nostrums and power potions that you do not have to spend that extra 5 gold on to buy and stock into your inventory only to consume them quickly.

So the question still remains is Tera p2w? The definition I have of a pay to win game is there's no other way of obtaining an item other than if it's from the cash shop. I don't see Tera putting vm9 gear in the cash shop for a low discount rate of 50$ . But i do see the clear advantages of spending money to progress at a faster rate than other Tera players.

However,almost everything can be earned by farming your [filtered] off in the game. So to answer you. no Tera is not pay to win it's pay to convince and get to places faster. Gear makes things alot easier but if you do not have the skills to play your class well in terms of pve and even PvP.

You will suck worse than the guy whose in a much lower gear set. but knows how to play the game and their class.

That being said.. if you're geared and have a slight idea on what you're doing and have gear you have a better advantage than most people. but again I digress skill over gear goes alot farther then gear over skill.
  • No lol! What's p2w are those in-game stuff which are so easily obtainable and those with moolah can just sell EMP etc and buyout the market and reset and blablabla
  • I don't think elite is p2w.

What I can warn you about is the mounts, underarmor and dyeable costumes are locked behind loot boxes and the percentage odds are bismial (u can look up the odds on ktera website) so you'll find yourself having to shell out 100k to 450 k for mounts with stats and mid/ high crit undies from the broker.
    As a new player these can make a big difference to your dps and surviveability, as you get better it might not, I'm not sure bc I am not there yet, lol.

Another annoyance for new ppl is you have to research things a bit as you'll find yourself farming for out dated items in the vanguard shop or the token shops and equip it to find them worthless or that you can only have one, even though there's a set bonas.
    Andd; getting a reward, like scrolls, only to find them useless for new players....anyway that's what I have personally come across.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    LilMsQTay wrote: »
    I don't think elite is p2w.

What I can warn you about is the mounts, underarmor and dyeable costumes are locked behind loot boxes and the percentage odds are bismial (u can look up the odds on ktera website) so you'll find yourself having to shell out 100k to 450 k for mounts with stats and mid/ high crit undies from the broker.
    As a new player these can make a big difference to your dps and surviveability, as you get better it might not, I'm not sure bc I am not there yet, lol.

You can get free panties from Goldfinger tokens(available in the daily calendar rewards once a month, drops from Ghilleglade and probably a couple more dungeons, occasional events). As a new player you don't need top tier panties and you most definitely don't need a fancy mount. Blue panties are just fine to start off with and you can farm your way to the better/best ones. Eventually, you'll get a 1.5 crit dragon. The 2.0 dragons and the future phoenix are luxury BiS items that you get when you have more gold than you know what to do with.
    Another annoyance for new ppl is you have to research things a bit as you'll find yourself farming for out dated items in the vanguard shop or the token shops and equip it to find them worthless

Do you farm for things just because the icon looks cool?
    or that you can only have one, even though there's a set bonas.

"Unique" means there can only be one.
    Andd; getting a reward, like scrolls, only to find them useless for new players....anyway that's what I have personally come across.

Are you talking about that 1 reward from that 1 event a month ago? C'mon now....that's a straw and you know it.
  • LilMsQTayLilMsQTay ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @TWMagimay.

Yes I farmed the tokens by way of calendar and Ghilleglade. Got enough to open three and got a green plus endurance, green power and a green mana regen. When I saved enough gold, I bought a pair of blue crits and noticed a very nice differance it made for me farming bams.
    The dragons are out of my reach for now, way too spendy but I was able to get a ground wolf mount and use the .5 health regen to heal up after taking a beating from iron giants, naga and the such and get ready for the next one. Much better then sucking down health pots at 5 gold a pop.

The look of the icon makes no difference, what does is the lack of information associated with the item.
    Not sure why you found it necessary with that comment to try and invalidate my cooment and corncern, but oki, wharever.

Unique and set bonas would infer it's a unique set, that goes together. Other games would pop up with a warning but I'm aware now and will research this before I spend my hard erned tokens.
    Not to mention one can't sell it on Broker, trade to others or transfer it to another character on the same account. And no idc what the fantastic reasons are, so spare me that.

I'm taking about the buddy rewards I got.. or rather the ones listed but I never got and yes a worthless scroll as well as tokens that were gone from the game and yes, the level up reward scroll as well.
    So as you can see the "straws" are adding up....but don't worry this camels back isn't broken yet =p"

These are things I have warned all my friends about before they play so they are at least prepared and take it with a grain of salt and move on.
  • the whole "but u can buy it in game so it's not p2w" thing is a really dumb argument

innerwear when it first came out was a p2w feature. it might not be anymore but that's how it started as. the current p2w would be dragons and the upcoming phoenixes. elite isn't p2w because you can use the benefits of elite to earn back what you spent on it easily. that said, just because you can buy everything in the game doesn't mean the game doesn't have any p2w aspects to it.
  • aeyrebabyaeyrebaby ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    feminzii wrote: »
    the whole "but u can buy it in game so it's not p2w" thing is a really dumb argument

innerwear when it first came out was a p2w feature. it might not be anymore but that's how it started as. the current p2w would be dragons and the upcoming phoenixes. elite isn't p2w because you can use the benefits of elite to earn back what you spent on it easily. that said, just because you can buy everything in the game doesn't mean the game doesn't have any p2w aspects to it.

Agreed.

In my opinion, you can label a feature as P2W when the amount of hours it takes the average player to grind the gold for it in game greatly exceeds the amount of hours it would take them to buy it outright from the cash shop (or exchange enough EMP to gold to get it) with the money they earn from a 15-20 dollar an hour job. It's about more than just being able to buy everything with in-game gold given enough hard work. Dragons definitely fit that criteria.