High Latency for Comcast Players 7 EST - 11 EST

Hello, ever since the servers were moved, those of us on Comcast have been experiencing very high latency causing us to lag in game to the point of unplayability. This used to happen as well but it's gotten more frequent and more intense ever since all these maintenances have taken place. I've included a tracert that shows where my ping usually spikes. I am normally around 60 to 70 ping and now am frequently at 150 to 900 with packet loss. This has been an issue for years, please look into it!

LMUdxxn.png

Comments

• MidokuPastaMidokuPasta ✭✭✭✭
    I have comcast , I am not experiencing any lag or delays.
  • Been lagging off and on with Comcast too. Got really bad tonight, so did some trace routes to see where it was having problems. First it was just savvis being slow. Later it was just qwest. Now it's back to normal. Some guildies with Comcast on the other side of the country also have lag issues around this time.
  • feazesherofeazeshero ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I'm having issues as well and it's quite noticeable last few days. So frustrating! Ping goes from 20-30ms to like 100-150 ms for 20-25 minutes, then back to normal for a while. Then it repeats again later. This is maddening. When it's lagging I'm getting around 67 percent packet loss. When I am not lagging, then another group of people are lagging. Are like certain nodes bad or something lately? I wish eme can take this as a high priority to look into this.
  • edited November 2017
    Today there's been some really big problems with Comcast:
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/06/comcast-xfinity-slow-outage/

They say the issue was fixed, but there may be residual problems. It does seem like it depends on where you live, what ISP you're on, and thus what path you're taking to get to the server.

Edit: See below -- this is indeed a separate issue that does not seem connected to the earlier issues.
  • feazesherofeazeshero ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

They say the issue was fixed, but there may be residual problems. It does seem like it depends on where you live, what ISP you're on, and thus what path you're taking to get to the server.

Yes this was earlier today. Found out that there was an outage but was fixed around like 2-3 pm ish in my area (Michigan).
  • @counterpoint

In regards to the earlier outage today, I don't think that has anything to do with the lag we been getting prior to it for the previous days. I noticed since last week up till before the outage, the issue was still occurring. Pretty sure of it.
  • edited November 2017
    By the way, looking at forums for other MMOs, seems like there's lots of problems with everyone tonight. For example, here's a thread on the FFXIV Reddit. Something bad's going down, it seems.

Edit:
    http://downdetector.com/status/att/news/172565-problems-at-att
    http://downdetector.com/status/verizon/news/172564-problems-at-verizon

feazeshero wrote: »
    In regards to the earlier outage today, I don't think that has anything to do with the lag we been getting prior to it for the previous days. I noticed since last week up till before the outage, the issue was still occurring. Pretty sure of it.
    No, I know -- it looks like there's something else going on now as well -- probably isn't connected to the outage earlier today.
  • DokibunDokibun ✭✭✭✭
    It's not just comcast. I use windstream and its awful.
    It's server side lag from EME.
  • Dokibun wrote: »
    It's server side lag from EME.
    It's not server-side, because it's not universal; it depends on what route you're taking. Seems like it's 50/50 if you get it or not.
  • FentasticFentastic ✭✭
    edited November 2017

No this issue is unrelated with the outages from earlier. This has been happening for month after month and it was just as bad yesterday. When the outages were happening, connections to TERA were perfectly fine. This is another issue altogether.

And as for the FFXIV outages, I have friends too who have lagged around the same time who also use Comcast. This isn't just a TERA issue but at least some acknowledgement would be nice. Especially since this issue has gotten far worse after the servers were moved.
  • edited November 2017
    Fentastic wrote: »
    Especially since this issue has gotten far worse after the servers were moved.

FWIW, the servers didn't move, except to new hardware. The routing to the servers didn't change as a result of the equipment change... so basically, whatever issues there are related to routing would be here regardless. (There have been other issues related to the servers crashing, though, that are likely a result of the move.)

But yes, sorry -- I remembered the issue earlier today and thought at first that it could be a recurrence, but this is just a worse incarnation of the same routing problem that's affected some routes during U.S. primetime for a while now.

Edit: If everyone who is having the problem could post their traceroute to diag.enmasse.com from the time when it's happening, that would provide some data to support where exactly all the problems are.
  • Fentastic wrote: »

FWIW, the servers didn't move, except to new hardware. The routing to the servers didn't change as a result of the equipment change... so basically, whatever issues there are related to routing would be here regardless. (There have been other issues related to the servers crashing, though, that are likely a result of the move.)

But yes, sorry -- I remembered the issue earlier today and thought at first that it could be a recurrence, but this is just a worse incarnation of the same routing problem that's affected some routes during U.S. primetime for a while now.

Edit: If everyone who is having the problem could post their traceroute to diag.enmasse.com from the time when it's happening, that would provide some data to support where exactly all the problems are.

So what you're saying is, routing has gotten worse, maybe even back to some RMHM level of issues. You were around then and should recall the problems. EME changed services, because at least at the time they had an alternative. There's no evidence of them looking into an alternative or even addressing that this problem exists. Many of us send in tracerts and get the same copy-pasted response.
    Also about the primetime, since daylight savings time has happened, Comcast has shifted to an earlier time. Say, what used to happen at 8pm now happens at 7pm. Did everyone shift up their primetime hour?
  • edited November 2017
    JXE5356AKE wrote: »
    Fentastic wrote: »

So what you're saying is, routing has gotten worse, maybe even back to some RMHM level of issues. You were around then and should recall the problems. EME changed services, because at least at the time they had an alternative. There's no evidence of them looking into an alternative or even addressing that this problem exists. Many of us send in tracerts and get the same copy-pasted response.
    I recommended to them to try moving back to Zayo again if they still have that option to see how it goes, but there's no guarantee it won't be the same or worse than Savvis. It would be nice if they had another option altogether, but that may not exist at their datacenter. Someone has claimed that, for a brief period, they somehow had both and that this was better to them, but I was never able to gather any data where it wasn't just one or the other.

But anyway, I'm not trying to excuse them for the lack of response to the issue, whether it's with their servers or not. Just clarify what the issue seems to be and gather more data -- it's the only thing I can do. I did perform my own traceroute and checked to see if I could reproduce the issue as well, because being able to reproduce it yourself is the best way to provide more useful data... but wasn't impacting me tonight.

JXE5356AKE wrote: »
    Also about the primetime, since daylight savings time has happened, Comcast has shifted to an earlier time. Say, what used to happen at 8pm now happens at 7pm. Did everyone shift up their primetime hour?

That's an interesting question. Given that the sun sets an hour sooner, so it gets darker sooner, it may actually be that data habits change accordingly (more people at home and watching Netflix sooner?). I wonder if someone has done a study on this.
  • It's not comcast only... I'm from El Salvador and I'm disconnecting nonstop, getting 0 píng for like 5-10 secs which is kind of annoying while playing. Just letting you know.