[TERA PC] Summersilk season is here! Pick up Summersilk Robes in the TERA store until August 3. Plus, earn a free Summersilk Robe in our leveling event: https://bit.ly/TERA_summersilk
[TERA Console] To celebrate the launch of the Awakening update, participate in the Awakening Leveling Event! Plus, get free items upon your first post-update log-in. Details: https://bit.ly/awkn_events
[TERA Console] The Awakening update (v84) is now live on all console servers! Read the patch notes here: https://bit.ly/v84notes

Will TERA every be like the old days?

Answers

• I think they mentioned it before, they said there isn't enough manpower to create and maintain a whole server based on vanilla. Its too much to have 2 versions of the game.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    tera was harder a few years ago before the relic weapons, before foa patch. I remember having to team up with others or be a few levels higher than the bams to be able to kill them. now with the same class, same to no crystals, I can kill bams a few levels higher than me solo playing the same way as I used to. granted just recently, they did buff the bams a little, a little more hp, and knockdown if they hit you, but that's about it.

And I remember soloing BAMs during p2p time and being bored to tears.

then you must be really really bored to the point of uninstalling with the easy ones now lol

No. Now they die in a few seconds and I don't have to sit there, pressing the same buttons in the same order for what felt like an eternity. It'd be like telling you to mow the lawn using nail clippers and then giving you a lawn mower. Would you miss the nail clippers and wish you could use them again because it was just so hard and fun?
  • D4RK3Y3DLYNXD4RK3Y3DLYNX ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    What I miss about the game is grouping up to take on open world bosses. We kinda got that during the spawn event, but it's not a perma thing. The last time we had something like that was when the Fate of Arun patch hit and world bosses dropped mats to craft Ambit gear. You had bam stealers, but it was also fun trying to beat them to the punch. Even more so if you're on a PVP65 server, lol. Also, it would be nice if BHS would bring back KNX and KNXX. We need more raid dungeons.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    tera was harder a few years ago before the relic weapons, before foa patch. I remember having to team up with others or be a few levels higher than the bams to be able to kill them. now with the same class, same to no crystals, I can kill bams a few levels higher than me solo playing the same way as I used to. granted just recently, they did buff the bams a little, a little more hp, and knockdown if they hit you, but that's about it.

then you must be really really bored to the point of uninstalling with the easy ones now lol

No. Now they die in a few seconds and I don't have to sit there, pressing the same buttons in the same order for what felt like an eternity. It'd be like telling you to mow the lawn using nail clippers and then giving you a lawn mower. Would you miss the nail clippers and wish you could use them again because it was just so hard and fun?

Hue you have a strong talent for twisting stuff up in a way that sounds extremely [filtered] and convenient at the same time

I wonder if you would have fun having a gear set that one shot a boss in HM dungeons too, after all, it's just a better tool to do the same task ain't it not? What's so different about killing bosses on open world or dungeons besides difficulty level?

To help translate all this: Some people want to have the fun of an epic battle right at the start and get progressively hard but always somewhat hard, if not mechanically hard then at least make you concentrate on the boss to not die in a snap and such.
    If you just want to rush to end-game, there's always Lv 60 scrolls anyway.

And then when leveling is easy people complain that new players know nothing of combat when they come to dungeons...
    edited November 2017
    ElinLove wrote: »

Hue you have a strong talent for twisting stuff up in a way that sounds extremely [filtered] and convenient at the same time

I wonder if you would have fun having a gear set that one shot a boss in HM dungeons too, after all, it's just a better tool to do the same task ain't it not? What's so different about killing bosses on open world or dungeons besides difficulty level?

To help translate all this: Some people want to have the fun of an epic battle right at the start and get progressively hard but always somewhat hard, if not mechanically hard then at least make you concentrate on the boss to not die in a snap and such.

And then when leveling is easy people complain that new players know nothing of combat when they come to dungeons...

Well, if we are gonna go for extreme examples, I take it you'd really love for all bosses in the game to have 20 trillion HP and all normal mobs to have 50 billion HP. I'm also positive you do all the current content in +0 Guardian and never party anyone who has better gear than that because killing things faster is detrimental to fun. And, heck, let's add a stationary mob with 100 trillion HP that doesn't actually do anything to the start of every dungeon so you can enjoy concentrating on your rotation for a few hours.
  • I remember playing P2P and then F2P. P2P was beyond boring. It was fun until you get to the point you wills pend 10-20 minutes fighting a BAM and then find out on your quest you need to kill 20 more of them. When It went to F2P it was the same just more people fighting over spots to kill mobs. Then Avatar weapons came out and it spiced stuff up. At least until you get to what lvl 52 or was it 54 when it gave you the final Avatar weapon. Once you gotten to that level you will basically hit a wall in your leveling experience. And then we have Avatar weapons to our final levels.

Frankly I like this new version better, because NONE like to spam the same dungeon constantly to the point you can run it blind folded. Frankly let's look at it like the Final quest on Island of Dawn. Where you need to kill 30 BAMS without logging out or leaving without resetting and you can not party because it counts for only 1 person. Now Think if we reset it like the old times. We already have to spend depending on the class and god forgive if you are a healer type 30 mins to an hour to finish this quest. Now let's reset BAMS back to their old selves and I can gaurentee the only ones who will do it are the ones who's gears MASSIVE out class the quest item, or just want to punish themselves with that quest.
    edited November 2017
    kubitoid wrote: »
    Now they die in a few seconds and I don't have to sit there, pressing the same buttons in the same order for what felt like an eternity
    this just proves that tera's combat is boring dull unimaginative slow and repetitive

Well, I was never one of the people who thought Tera's combat was special. Whoa, you have to look at the enemy and be within certain range, how innovative. It's even less special when you are a healer because Tera basically turns into a run of the mill tab-target MMO if those were really very easy. What I enjoy about Tera are the mechanics and those were never a factor when fighting OW BAMs.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if we are gonna go for extreme examples, I take it you'd really love for all bosses in the game to have 20 trillion HP and all normal mobs to have 50 billion HP. I'm also positive you do all the current content in +0 Guardian and never party anyone who has better gear than that because killing things faster is detrimental to fun. And, heck, let's add a stationary mob with 100 trillion HP that doesn't actually do anything to the start of every dungeon so you can enjoy concentrating on your rotation for a few hours.

~bringing back your nail clippers lawn mowing example~

If you don't know how lawn mowers work, you should ask. Hint: They don't remove all the grass instantly when you turn them on.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't know how lawn mowers work, you should ask. Hint: They don't remove all the grass instantly when you turn them on.

WOOOOOOO NO SHEET SHERLOCK!!!

OK then, let's give you a set that kills the boss in... 1 minute. Good balance now? Sounds like an efficient tool! Now your job of fighting the boss is made easier!

Now please bring me another over the top example like that mowing the lawn with nail clippers to crap on top of people's opinion cause their opinions are wrong
  • BorsucBorsuc ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Well, I was never one of the people who thought Tera's combat was special. Whoa, you have to look at the enemy and be within certain range, how innovative. It's even less special when you are a healer because Tera basically turns into a run of the mill tab-target MMO if those were really very easy. What I enjoy about Tera are the mechanics and those were never a factor when fighting OW BAMs.
    The people who think TERA's combat is "special" have really only played tab-target MMOs in their entire gaming life (or something to that effect), never an action game or a shooter to even know what aiming is.
    OK then, let's give you a set that kills the boss in... 1 minute. Good balance now? Sounds like an efficient tool! Now your job of fighting the boss is made easier!

Now please bring me another over the top example like that mowing the lawn with nail clippers to crap on top of people's opinion cause their opinions are wrong
    You talk about over the top example when you're literally appealing to exaggeration right now? She didn't crap on people's opinion, she just said her opinion, which was that the old leveling system was more boring and that's why most people skipped the damn BAMs, but sure. Seems pretty hard for you to accept that, to some people, BAMs are beyond boring and annoying (and yeah ofc you compare them with bosses which have mechanics at least).

Fighting the same BAM with same attack patterns for 20 seconds versus 10 minutes is not a change of difficulty, the latter is just way more boring.

Not all "1 minute" spent is created equal. Go play Super Hexagon or something and tell me if you can even last 1 minute and then come back and see why, for someone who does, BAMs are [filtered] boring and suck.
  • Borsuc wrote: »
    The people who think TERA's combat is "special" have really only played tab-target MMOs in their entire gaming life (or something to that effect), never an action game or a shooter to even know what aiming is.
    The context is always that it's a good combat system for an MMORPG, which I still think is the case. It takes major cues from action games and incorporates that into the system, rather than just being a WoW clone in this regard. So it was "innovative" within that context, but not if you compare it to the entirety of gaming.

But besides, the comment was being facetious in the first place. The old-school BAMs were not intended to be engaging encounters for solo play, but were intended to foster team play, and that was when they shined -- because it took advantage of both the action combat system and the trinity-based party play of an MMO. When the game first launched and you could easily find BAM parties, it was a lot of fun. But as more and more of the playerbase either hit the level cap or dropped off of the game, it stopped being practical.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Borsuc wrote: »

You talk about over the top example when you're literally appealing to exaggeration right now? She didn't crap on people's opinion, she just said her opinion, which was that the old leveling system was more boring and that's why most people skipped the damn BAMs, but sure. Seems pretty hard for you to accept that, to some people, BAMs are beyond boring and annoying (and yeah ofc you compare them with bosses which have mechanics at least).

Fighting the same BAM with same attack patterns for 20 seconds versus 10 minutes is not a change of difficulty, the latter is just way more boring.

Not all "1 minute" spent is created equal. Go play Super Hexagon or something and tell me if you can even last 1 minute and then come back and see why, for someone who does, BAMs are [filtered] boring and suck.

Ya know I could dismiss whatever you and TW say, cause it seems a pattern that you pull on top and pick on whatever I say, and TW admits being a troll him/herself to begin with. But I'll not ignore and let's pretend I actually care:

TW WAS and likely still IS making others look dumb by comparing that old leveling system to something as ridiculous (the system will filter out any more proper description) to "mowing lawn with nail clippers" and all, or "So you can suck now like you did before?" type of trolling. And it's not the 1st time, that's why I throw in my 1 cent of trolling back on the topic.
    It's always your opinion and all, but please, let's just keep on topic instead of trying to make others look dumb from start up, that's the deal, and why I pushed it down the cliff there on purpose. If you could not conveniently ignore the 1st replies on this thread, and read through HOW that opinion of "old leveling was boring" is put into the comments, you would probably stop the rear-licking and see WHY did I just troll it hard back. I don't care if people didn't like it, that's how life goes you don't have everyone agreeing with you, that's fine and cool even sometimes. The lack of respect just was met with a primate-style lack of respect - A.K.A crap-throwing.

And no I don't have to accept anything here, I know for sure that it wasn't and isn't an unanimous opinion that old leveling BAMs were more fun, it's goddemn obvious. I knew that from start. In fact I should commend Counterpoint (If you wanna say I'm rear licking him, go ahead) on the proposed idea of creating some raid/party bosses for leveling along with the current quick kill ones. That would be the best of both worlds, you can level quickly or the epic way, balance out the EXP reward for your party, and you've got a semi-revamp on the leveling on the cheap. But we know BHS tho....
  • Borsuc wrote: »
    The context is always that it's a good combat system for an MMORPG, which I still think is the case. It takes major cues from action games and incorporates that into the system, rather than just being a WoW clone in this regard. So it was "innovative" within that context, but not if you compare it to the entirety of gaming.

But besides, the comment was being facetious in the first place. The old-school BAMs were not intended to be engaging encounters for solo play, but were intended to foster team play, and that was when they shined -- because it took advantage of both the action combat system and the trinity-based party play of an MMO. When the game first launched and you could easily find BAM parties, it was a lot of fun. But as more and more of the playerbase either hit the level cap or dropped off of the game, it stopped being practical.

This was basically what I was trying say about the team play aspect of the game back then. Good job.