[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance on 9/23 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Civil Unrest

Can the time be changed to an hour later or two?

Comments

• Chido wrote: »

Theoretically, but we want to keep it at the time that is most convenient for the largest possible playerbase. Why do you think having it an hour or two later would be beneficial (it's already a bit late for East Coast time).
  • Currently it is one hour earlier than it was before the daylights saving change from EDT to EST.

CU:V Used to begin at 9pm EDT, it now begins at 8pm EST.
  • PetasoPetaso ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    if it was ment to be 6pm for pdt so that it can benefit the larger group, it then would need to be changed up an hour because its 5 pst for when it starts now. Because daylight savings is over. u.u
  • ChidoChido ✭✭✭
    Spacecats wrote: »
    Chido wrote: »

Theoretically, but we want to keep it at the time that is most convenient for the largest possible playerbase. Why do you think having it an hour or two later would be beneficial (it's already a bit late for East Coast time).

8pm is actually early for most of us in the east coast. I think that we are all used to playing til 1-2am in the morning since that's when the online world comes alive. I used to participate in nexus back in the days because it was at 10pm for us in the east coast. And that was actually when I would first get online.
    With the current time we have for CU even people in the West coast can miss it if the have a regular job schedule (8-5pm or 9-6 pm) etc.
  • Chido wrote: »

8pm is actually early for most of us in the east coast. I think that we are all used to playing til 1-2am in the morning since that's when the online world comes alive. I used to participate in nexus back in the days because it was at 10pm for us in the east coast. And that was actually when I would first get online.
    With the current time we have for CU even people in the West coast can miss it if the have a regular job schedule (8-5pm or 9-6 pm) etc.

people have lives and jobs.
  • ChidoChido ✭✭✭
    HanzoMain wrote: »

people have lives and jobs.

on sunday?
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    MarkDRx wrote: »
    Currently it is one hour earlier than it was before the daylights saving change from EDT to EST.

It's technically the same time because 8pm EST IS 9pm PDT, you know, cos Daylight Savings.

TL;DR: At a technical level, they'd like to leave the timings as they are because they know they work, where if you change Unrest times, you'd also have to change a load of reset times to match across the different time conversion methods that are used in game.

====

The problem they have had in the past with previous in-game events such as Unrest and Rally BAMs not firing at the correct time is because the original TERA game is coded to run in Korean Standard Time (which doesn't have a corresponding Dayloght Savings).

To compound things, EME were using a method of timezone conversion to get the events to fire in American timezones accordingly, but after the Civil Unrest times were fixed, BHS appear to have added some things into the build which convert timezones for specific events. As a result, you have events which are firing using at least two different time conversion methods AND some events that run off UTC as well.
  • I wish it was on Sunday like alliance conflict used to be.
  • clfarron4 wrote: »
    MarkDRx wrote: »
    Currently it is one hour earlier than it was before the daylights saving change from EDT to EST.

It's technically the same time because 8pm EST IS 9pm PDT, you know, cos Daylight Savings.

TL;DR: At a technical level, they'd like to leave the timings as they are because they know they work, where if you change Unrest times, you'd also have to change a load of reset times to match across the different time conversion methods that are used in game.

====

The problem they have had in the past with previous in-game events such as Unrest and Rally BAMs not firing at the correct time is because the original TERA game is coded to run in Korean Standard Time (which doesn't have a corresponding Dayloght Savings).

To compound things, EME were using a method of timezone conversion to get the events to fire in American timezones accordingly, but after the Civil Unrest times were fixed, BHS appear to have added some things into the build which convert timezones for specific events. As a result, you have events which are firing using at least two different time conversion methods AND some events that run off UTC as well.

It's not the same time, allow me to prove it very easily. Suppose you work a job from 9am - 5pm EDT. When Daylight savings time ends your job does not magically become a 8am - 4pm job it stays at the exact same hours. You simply now work 9am - 5pm EST. Now suppose someone gets home from work at 10pm EST. Even if Civil Unrest lasts the full duration of 2 hours, which it never does, It would be over. Whereas if Civil Unrest began at the appropriate time of 9pm EST the fellow getting home at 10pm EST would still have one full hour to participate. This is why it's important to have the event start at 9pm EST.
  • ChidoChido ✭✭✭
    yes im that fellow, i usually manage to get home around 9:30 est
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    ~offtopic thinfoil hat talk~
    clfarron4 wrote: »
    [...]

...why does it feel to me that this is yet another lag source on the server code??