Forum Category Changes, Dec 2017

2»

Comments

• drkmoscdrkmosc ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Maybe calling something "General" and then wondering why its use is so general wasen't the brightest idea to begin with. :smile:

Edit: Well actually, i agree on the old forums layout being bad for its purpose but the new one isn't exactly new, it's the same one but with stuff merged so you guys have essentially acomplished higher usages in some forums that's...not relevant...

You see, forums have to server mainly the purpose of visiblity and knowing where to find what you're looking, if you mix all creative forums you're clearly not understanding what forums and categories are for in the first place, in the second hand, that lead to someone sneaking into an interesting title but it's not worth having disorganization.

So forumshave to fulfill a proper function in keeping things organized, that's the main thing they do.

And if general has the most entries while based on your judgement not being the most relevant for the category the issue clearly lays on that specific category not the others. Although, the others forums are expected to have less entries, it's just how it is, so you can keep that and try bring more order in the whole forum in another way. I'm sure you guys have noticed the same dilemma in discord and it doesn't pose a terrible issue...

And i repeat, convulting the less used forums doesn't generate a lot, you're disorganizing stuff in favour of people having to see in first place things they're not interested on.

You know what lets you see everything recent and relevant? Dashboards, yeah, those are a thing, that's what you're doing but in a forum.

That's just my two cents, it doesn't seem like you guys have a good idea or general understanding of "why". Although i gotta add that it does not matter for most of the community since they're fine with just using general overall which is completely fine.
  • drkmosc wrote: »
    Maybe calling something "General" and then wondering why its use is so general wasen't the brightest idea to begin with. :smile:

Amazingly, it's something we inherited from the original TERA forum over 6 years ago, and the bias/preference to basically dump everything in general has been there the whole time. On the old forums, the search was so amazingly poor that this segmentation was pretty much the only way to find anything. The new forums are at least better as far as search goes, but it's not great as a knowledge base/repository of specific info (like lore, class guides, etc.). The move to consolidate the forums further biases it towards more transient topics rather than for more permanent knowledge/info.
  • drkmoscdrkmosc ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    drkmosc wrote: »

Amazingly, it's something we inherited from the original TERA forum over 6 years ago, and the bias/preference to basically dump everything in general has been there the whole time. On the old forums, the search was so amazingly poor that this segmentation was pretty much the only way to find anything. The new forums are at least better as far as search goes, but it's not great as a knowledge base/repository of specific info (like lore, class guides, etc.). The move to consolidate the forums further biases it towards more transient topics rather than for more permanent knowledge/info.

More or less as i have stated on my edit, i don't think the forum poses an issue but i mean, it's just to be expected. In reality due to the way the game goes that forum shouldn't be an issue, activity isn't worth a dozen of forums and categories(and frankly i'd rather get info of somewhere else, sorry) when your forum is used mainly for discussions.

I'd kindly recommend categories in the forum community creations because just having everything convulted for certain forums would ultimately suck, it wouldn't be bad either if a forum as RP has more specialized sub categories if there's a need to keep things in place. But again, it doesn't matter a lot, rp communities don't exactly move through the forum enough to be a big hit, or so does so for other lesser forums.