[TERA PC] Summersilk season is here! Pick up Summersilk Robes in the TERA store until August 3. Plus, earn a free Summersilk Robe in our leveling event: https://bit.ly/TERA_summersilk
[TERA Console] To celebrate the launch of the Awakening update, participate in the Awakening Leveling Event! Details: https://bit.ly/awkn_events
[TERA Console] The Awakening update (v84) is now live on all console servers! Read the patch notes here: https://bit.ly/v84notes

TERA technical test fourm

Comments

• So, I didn't get a code (PS4 EU), but noticed a few bugs watching streams on twitch. Is there any way I can report them?
  • i recived a code and have been playing for over 4 hrs but can not post in the technical test forum.
  • the same problem here, we got a mail to post reports on the pivat forum but the link is the way to the offical forum. I cant find the privat forum ;-(
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    You console testers are about lv 11~20 right now I assume, have you guys encountered areas very populated with players? If so, how was the game FPS wise?
  • Hey sorry I know I'm really late but I'm bummed out been sick last 2-3 days with cat scratch fever missed out on Tera codes for xbox everyone I know had one I never got my email for code but if someone can hmu with one when I get my email I'll give them a usable code back to gift to someone else.
  • ElinLove wrote: »
    You console testers are about lv 11~20 right now I assume, have you guys encountered areas very populated with players? If so, how was the game FPS wise?

The only laggy/bad fps area for me was while on a Pegasus traveling. and in the capital. other then that nothing.
  • edited December 2017
    EiEiO11490 wrote: »
    ElinLove wrote: »

The only laggy/bad fps area for me was while on a Pegasus traveling. and in the capital. other then that nothing.

And for me the lag was a bit different than PC. There's like a "stall" whenever the game first loads a model for the first time, but then it goes back to full framerate. So even in populated Velika, the framerate was smooth except it'd have these occasional hitches (a lot when you first arrived, but less as you went). So in some ways it's been optimized... but there's still some other issue. That said, it only really impacts a lot when you load areas with lots of stuff (like pegasus travel or velika, as you said).
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

And for me the lag was a bit different than PC. There's like a "stall" whenever the game first loads a model for the first time, but then it goes back to full framerate. So even in populated Velika, the framerate was smooth except it'd have these occasional hitches (a lot when you first arrived, but less as you went). So in some ways it's been optimized... but there's still some other issue. That said, it only really impacts a lot when you load areas with lots of stuff (like pegasus travel or velika, as you said).

Interesting. It seems like they DID give it some effort. I still can't understand/forgive controller thing but well, I'll just keep on PC anyway.

Makes me wonder when/if these optimizations are coming to PC, since the processor architecture of both PS4 and Xbox One are x64.

Interesting. It seems like they DID give it some effort. I still can't understand/forgive controller thing but well, I'll just keep on PC anyway.

Makes me wonder when/if these optimizations are coming to PC, since the processor architecture of both PS4 and Xbox One are x64.
    sorry, i'm new here but could you explain to me what you mean by ' the controller thing'? thanks.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry, i'm new here but could you explain to me what you mean by ' the controller thing'? thanks.

As far as the demo video on the PS4 is concerned, on console version, the skill cast and selections happen with pretty much all keys on controller except start, select and R1 or L1, one of these two, dunno which one but on only one of them.
    It goes like this: You have your skill bar, say pressing X jumps, square does auto-attack/basic hit, triangle goes Vortex Slash and so on. Then, you have more skills on your class than buttons on the controller right? The solution on console port was: press once the R1/L1 (whatever it was) and it swaps to another skill palette. Now with pressing Square you don't auto-attack but say, use Poison Blade (I'm just throwing random names), triangle goes Scythe and so on. But it's only 2 skill bars that you alternate between, and once you press the button, it stays selected, sticky, until you press again and it swaps over.

On PC version, we've had controller support natively since start, and it goes like this: You have R1/RB AND L1/LB to chose the skill set for the keys. It can be seen which one is enabled on a little controller icon on the screen that has your skill icons layered on the buttons. Without any of these buttons pressed you get command set 1, where you can use some interface commands too like Interact, inventory, profile and camera zoom, HOLD R1/RB and you get set 2, hold L1/LB for skill set 3, and hold both for skill set 4.
    With this setup, you could use the entire skill bar, and literally you only lose one more button on the selection thing. Basically I don't understand how they'll ever manage on consoles the skill quantity we do on PCs on controller. But that's just the tip of the iceberg for me:

Now let's compare how each of them perform on the game:
    On console, if you know very well what palette is selected, and you know that it DID select the new palette, then you will not be missing skills or doing wrong ones and such. I would also bet that you would need some fixed ones like for I-frames, you want to dodge whenever you need right? Now, if you don't know what palette is on, you gotta check it on screen. That's quick as it's always showing and glowing top or bottom, no issues. But if you're mid fight and you think you pressed it and it didn't... well... skills will be missed. I kinda can't see any advantage to this system, unless for classes that have an insanely small skill set (can't imagine a skill set THAT small tho) that you can have one set for PVP and another for PVE.

On PC: You never have to guess which one is on. Your finger is telling you what is on. You have it pressed? On. You don't? Off. Which finger is pressing? Both? None? All 4 patterns/palettes are always intuitively known which of them is enabled that moment. Swap for another? Press/release buttons. I can cast skills easily from all 4 palettes in a sequence without getting mixed up on what is enabled and when. Simply because I know what I am holding. I only require one button for an I-frame because when I'm on for example the palette/set of RB+LB pressed at same time, and I-frame is on the one without anything pressed, all I do is release them both and press the I-frame button. It all happens so fluidly and without thinking that I find it completely stupid when some players bash on controller users. Literally they've never even seen how it works.

And I do hope they change this for console or AT LEAST (actually, preferentially) add the choice to use the PC version style.

As far as the demo video on the PS4 is concerned, on console version, the skill cast and selections happen with pretty much all keys on controller except start, select and R1 or L1, one of these two, dunno which one but on only one of them.
    It goes like this: You have your skill bar, say pressing X jumps, square does auto-attack/basic hit, triangle goes Vortex Slash and so on. Then, you have more skills on your class than buttons on the controller right? The solution on console port was: press once the R1/L1 (whatever it was) and it swaps to another skill palette. Now with pressing Square you don't auto-attack but say, use Poison Blade (I'm just throwing random names), triangle goes Scythe and so on. But it's only 2 skill bars that you alternate between, and once you press the button, it stays selected, sticky, until you press again and it swaps over.

On PC version, we've had controller support natively since start, and it goes like this: You have R1/RB AND L1/LB to chose the skill set for the keys. It can be seen which one is enabled on a little controller icon on the screen that has your skill icons layered on the buttons. Without any of these buttons pressed you get command set 1, where you can use some interface commands too like Interact, inventory, profile and camera zoom, HOLD R1/RB and you get set 2, hold L1/LB for skill set 3, and hold both for skill set 4.
    With this setup, you could use the entire skill bar, and literally you only lose one more button on the selection thing. Basically I don't understand how they'll ever manage on consoles the skill quantity we do on PCs on controller. But that's just the tip of the iceberg for me:

On console, if you know very well what palette is selected, and you know that it DID select the new palette, then you will not be missing skills or doing wrong ones and such. I would also bet that you would need some fixed ones like for I-frames, you want to dodge whenever you need right? Now, if you don't know what palette is on, you gotta check it on screen. That's quick as it's always showing and glowing top or bottom, no issues. But if you're mid fight and you think you pressed it and it didn't... well... skills will be missed. I kinda can't see any advantage to this system, unless for classes that have an insanely small skill set (can't imagine a skill set THAT small tho) that you can have one set for PVP and another for PVE.

On PC: You never have to guess which one is on. Your finger is telling you what is on. You have it pressed? On. You don't? Off. Which finger is pressing? Both? None? All 4 patterns/palettes are always intuitively known which of them is enabled that moment. Swap for another? Press/release buttons. I can cast skills easily from all 4 palettes in a sequence without getting mixed up on what is enabled and when. Simply because I know what I am holding. I only require one button for an I-frame because when I'm on for example the palette/set of RB+LB pressed at same time, and I-frame is on the one without anything pressed, all I do is release them both and press the I-frame button. It all happens so fluidly and without thinking that I find it completely stupid when some players bash on controller users. Literally they've never even seen how it works.

And I do hope they change this for console or AT LEAST (actually, preferentially) add the choice to use the PC version style.
    thanks for the detailed info. i totally followed your post.
    This is actually pretty much how DCUO solved the problem of using a controller on console.
    Of course it was actually developed for console and it also had the major advantage of having a much much more limited set of skills.
    Basically you only had 2 swaps, but just like you were saying with TERA pc you always knew which swap you were on becasue you werent toggling but actually holding a trigger then pressing...
    Ugh, i was afraid of this and especially with things like Iframes like you mentioned that you need instant access to at any given moment this can be a major issue.
    In fact the same issue happens in ESO on console and in PvP many players end up having to double slot certain skills like shields or heals on 2 bars because they wont have time to bar swap as they call it in that game.
    I wonder if you can even double slot for TERA console...
    Even if you can , again you are limiting the # of overall slots you have.

I said it with ESO when it came out and a # of the mistakes they made with their controller layout for console. In fact we ended up having to rebind some serious oversights to be functional in pvp, but Devs really need to look back at the few examples controller schemes that have been fluid on console. DCUO was perfection, though alot of that was b/c of the limited # of skills you had.
    Though in TERA's case it seems like they already had a working system for controller on PC like you mentioned... weird.

For what it's worth, in the technical test it's not actually a toggle/swap, but the other bar activates while you're holding the button and then resets back to the first bar when you let go. You can also add an optional third bar that uses the other left trigger button, but it works the same way. So basically the left trigger buttons are the equivalent to "Shift" or "Ctrl" on the keyboard. You don't have to worry about remembering which bar you're currently set on.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

For what it's worth, in the technical test it's not actually a toggle/swap, but the other bar activates while you're holding the button and then resets back to the first bar when you let go. You can also add an optional third bar that uses the other left trigger button, but it works the same way. So basically the left trigger buttons are the equivalent to "Shift" or "Ctrl" on the keyboard. You don't have to worry about remembering which bar you're currently set on.

Phew, thanks for clarifying and getting rid of the big elephant in the room.
    Hope it also works for the dual press for a total of 4 skill set bars. This solves entirely the whole PC vs console controller scheme. The demos didn't show this, as the entire time it was being played, the player literally kept using only one bar at a time so it kept me wondering/bashing it.
  • edited December 2017
    Hope it also works for the dual press for a total of 4 skill set bars.

I don't think they have a double-press, but they do have a radial menu system on one of the buttons that's like a "spin-out menu" for potions and other items. So in that sense it's sort of like having a fourth bar, except it's just not a bar but a circle quick-menu. (Kind of like the quick chat thing we have on PC.)
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the detailed info. i totally followed your post.
    This is actually pretty much how DCUO solved the problem of using a controller on console.
    Of course it was actually developed for console and it also had the major advantage of having a much much more limited set of skills.
    Basically you only had 2 swaps, but just like you were saying with TERA pc you always knew which swap you were on becasue you werent toggling but actually holding a trigger then pressing...
    Ugh, i was afraid of this and especially with things like Iframes like you mentioned that you need instant access to at any given moment this can be a major issue.
    In fact the same issue happens in ESO on console and in PvP many players end up having to double slot certain skills like shields or heals on 2 bars because they wont have time to bar swap as they call it in that game.
    I wonder if you can even double slot for TERA console...
    Even if you can , again you are limiting the # of overall slots you have.

I said it with ESO when it came out and a # of the mistakes they made with their controller layout for console. In fact we ended up having to rebind some serious oversights to be functional in pvp, but Devs really need to look back at the few examples controller schemes that have been fluid on console. DCUO was perfection, though alot of that was b/c of the limited # of skills you had.
    Though in TERA's case it seems like they already had a working system for controller on PC like you mentioned... weird.

Thanks for taking your time on my explanation, when it was over... I did feel it was too long. But was all that was required to explain it properly so didn't cut it.

Whoever, I think it's best if you check out Counterpoint's latest reply on the matter, he cleared up the misunderstanding I had on the controller case for console. It looked as I said on the video probably because of the way the player used it, but it seems like it can get more trays there and it's not the sticky type:

This still begs the question if you can have a 4th bar, OR if the directional pad is always in use in all bars, or if Interact key works only in some situations and gets freed up in others (could end up messy with motes around). I do know that with 4 sets you can use the full PC bar, and that some classes (namely Priest and Mystic) have more skills than you can fit on the normal bar, but they're usually just summon ones and you can chain the buffs into one only.