The Maintenance on our PC Servers has completed. Servers are up and running, thank you for your patience!

What is Tera's future?

Hi Tera forum, I'm a new player and I was wondering about the future of Tera. It's coming out for consoles and since I'm a PC user, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion about the lasting appeal for Tera on PC. What do you think?

Comments

• counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very least, I think TERA PC will continue. I don't think they see console as an escape route or something away from the core game, but just as one other platform to sell the game on (just like expanding into a new market).

That said, I don't expect the game to have some giant revolutionary change or turnaround. It's still inevitably an older game by now with known optimization issues and is probably going to remain in the niche it finds itself in. Hopefully, once console is out, that will help spur them towards bigger development projects to help at least retain that niche audience, and maybe bring some people back. But we'll see.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    HGTC97NHKG wrote: »
    Hi Tera forum, I'm a new player and I was wondering about the future of Tera. It's coming out for consoles and since I'm a PC user, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion about the lasting appeal for Tera on PC. What do you think?

TERA PC's worst enemy is BHS's own bad decisions about TERA itself. Console version isn't nearly a problem to the PC version. It's just one more TERA to worry about, it's not a focus shift in my opinion. TERA consoles will face pretty much the same problems as PC version + it's own community and updating problems.
  • AmmutsebaAmmutseba ✭✭✭
    Tera's future: More cosmetics, Elin Brawler, Elin Valkyrie, more RNG. ;)

Joking aside, I think Tera PC will be around for at least a few more years. We still have the class awakening and a little more content is still planned. Tera's going to have a lot of competition on console, so I don't see the PC version being affected much.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    more cute elin B)
  • HLK76PFWXTHLK76PFWXT ✭✭✭
    edited January 13
    At the very least, I think TERA PC will continue. I don't think they see console as an escape route or something away from the core game, but just as one other platform to sell the game on (just like expanding into a new market).

That said, I don't expect the game to have some giant revolutionary change or turnaround. It's still inevitably an older game by now with known optimization issues and is probably going to remain in the niche it finds itself in. Hopefully, once console is out, that will help spur them towards bigger development projects to help at least retain that niche audience, and maybe bring some people back. But we'll see.

I think that a game does not have to be necessarily bad because it is old since i have seen plenty of old but very popular games.

Of course, there are optimization issues and other technical problems but the state of the game that we had for the past 12 months has no connection whatsoever unless you believe that for example the current TRNM event is somewhat lacking due to technical problems ( sometimes i just hope that RNG was never going to be applied to MMO games since its the devils tool that can control any drop chance and with it create false promises ).

And the future? If the past and the present were so grim then what to expect about the future? Many of us thought that the new year will be different but its the same all over again.

p.s. i am super frustrated that i run with +5SC weapon and non smart dyads because..
  • DuncanIdaho11DuncanIdaho11 ✭✭
    edited January 13

It does speak well for Tera though that it's able to expand into a new market as is. New games typically sell themselves on the promise that what players have now is just the start (so major complaints can be mollified by the promise of big updates to come.) Tera doesn't have to do that because while the pace of development isn't far from maintenance mode, the core (of great co-op gameplay accompanied by the incidentals of a big MMO) is a very strong one that doesn't explicitly need another big update to justify continued interest.

So there's some solace that one can take away here. ;)

PS. I'm relatively new player here (just reached 65 for the first time this week), so take this post as an outsider's perspective. I follow other MMO's as well, which incidentally have much more vigorous development but that's how they maintain their footholds. It's not ideal to judge Tera by their dev standards, it's in a different situation with what it needs to do to survive.
  • PrincessArielPrincessAriel ✭✭
    edited January 13
    All good points OP! I also want to add -

There definitely needs to be something in the game that teaches folks how to use their skills and basic game play. Take for example..my group of friends and I just started playing. We been playing together for years playing many MMORPG, we do the top end game raids in FFXIV etc. The reason I mention this is because:

Our White Mage main from XIV rolled Priest in Tera..and I went Mystic (Plus I always play pet classes/support in MMO). We have 5 people for our static. One of the members in my group has been playing Tera consistently much longer than us so he suggested we have a Mystic and Priest for when we farm the Hard Mode dungeons. That being said, I noticed in the early dungeons (Thametal, Liliths etc) that I was having to heal..and my Priest friend was only using the small circle to heal, running up to people and healing them..then would just spam Divine Radiance. I hopped on my 60 Priest I had from back in 2013 and saw the Focus Heal skill. So when he came on the next day..I asked him why is he not using Focus Heal? He says , well it doesn't work, he hits it and nothing happens, he didn't realize he had to target people (he plays with a controller like me) and had NO idea how his basic skill worked.

So, yeah my raid group is filled with really good players...for him to try and try with with that skill and not get it..then doing that in dungeons lol I think its time this game got something to help or force teach newbies how to play the basics...
    edited January 14
    HLK76PFWXT wrote: »
    I think that a game does not have to be necessarily bad because it is old since i have seen plenty of old but very popular games.

Of course, there are optimization issues and other technical problems but the state of the game that we had for the past 12 months has no connection whatsoever unless you believe that for example the current TRNM event is somewhat lacking due to technical problems ( sometimes i just hope that RNG was never going to be applied to MMO games since its the devils tool that can control any drop chance and with it create false promises ).
    I wasn't trying to say that optimization and technical problems were the only problems that exist, but I was just focusing on what will attract new players to the game. The sorts of issues you're talking about aren't going to be apparent to people when they start; they're really the laments of the core players who are burnt out by the formula. And even then, the vast majority of the playerbase will never try to get +9 SC gear or anything like that in the first place. The vast majority of players are casual or semi-casual (just like with every MMO these days).

And the future? If the past and the present were so grim then what to expect about the future? Many of us thought that the new year will be different but its the same all over again.
    Although I totally agree that the issues like the ones you're talking about need to be addressed and improved (see my suggestion list in the other constructive feedback thread for what my priorities would be)... the game is continuing to go on. I don't honestly believe that it's at any risk of closing any time soon, despite all the anger/frustration/disappointment on the forum (which has been a constant theme on this forum ever since the game launched). The game is slowly evolving and is continuing to be developed, and it still does its set of core things well. It has its niche. Unless some other game comes around and pushes all the same buttons and does it better, I think the game has legs within its niche.

Of course, I think we still need to push hard for improvements, but if we were truly resigned to the fact that there was no hope, there'd be no point in suggesting anything.
  • HLK76PFWXTHLK76PFWXT ✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    And even then, the vast majority of the playerbase will never try to get +9 SC gear or anything like that in the first place. The vast majority of players are casual or semi-casual (just like with every MMO these days).

IF you log in on Tera EU/Killian and move around at outskirts or check the LFG and inspect players then you will impressed to see how many players actually have above +5SC.. or how many reached SC or went beyond on the Manahan server.. but then again PvP and PvE motivate players to want to get involved.

Anyway..

Maybe i am not looking at the big piece for Tera PC/NA and i do not understand the fact that maybe the game is considered as being fine as it is or even pretty healthy based on certain expectations? Even though there is not PvP whatsoever and the PvE players are disappearing slowly making the even the LFG to look like a ghost town? Maybe this is fine because the aim is to have a casual or semi casual player base? And if that is the case then should i take the example and become a casual as well that playrs 10-15hrs per week and give up on trying to get even better gear/mounts/etc or even elite since its meaningless in that situation? And if we all become casuals or semi casuals playing literally for free barely supporting the publishers in any sort of way then would that not be a problem?

So how should i play on NA at this point? Or what am i doing wrong?

p.s. i have managed to get +5sc weapon and +3sc armor at this point but maybe i was wrong all this time investing so many resources
  • Maybe i was in the wrong all this time and maybe the game as is doing fine considering certain expectations even though there is no PvP whatsoever and the PvE is slowing dying as well with the LFG having less and less players active.

And my question was: should i stop trying to get better gear past SC and aim for harder dungeons or possible some PvP but instead become a casual player letting go of elite as well since its meaningless for 10hrs a week?

How should i play this game to have fun?
    edited January 14

Honestly? I would: stop playing for a while. Try other games (including non-MMOs). After a while, see if you miss TERA. Come back and just do whatever find fun without caring about things you don't find fun. If you don't come back, then you didn't find it fun and hopefully you find more happiness doing other things. Life's too short to be miserable.

For me personally, there are some things about TERA that I still find fun despite all the problems, and it will keep drawing me back.
  • XersesXerses ✭✭✭
    The biggest thing that keeps me around on NA Tera are the few friends, however dwindling, that I have left who play on NA. Pvp is a thing of the past. Pve content is ok, kind of. The fun dungeon now is RK9, but for someone new it could take weeks of spamming rg and sf for dailies and gold to upgrade your gear to aquire the ilvl required to do the RK9 vangaurd.

I won't sugar coat it, like some of the others that responded who are compensated to defend this game. If you don't have a guild to run with or at least a single buddy, you're going to struggle. If you do come back and need some friends or a guild, and you're on CH, send me a private message and I'll show you the way
  • ThukingThuking ✭✭✭
    Equalized team skyring, Equalized option for dungeons.

This way everyone can play the game without p2w or farming forever.
  • I just started and it's been fun. I don't know where everyone's at though. It's a really cool game and since the console version is coming out soon, I hope the PC version will still be entertaining and enjoyable.
  • HLK76PFWXT wrote: »

Honestly? I would: stop playing for a while. Try other games (including non-MMOs). After a while, see if you miss TERA. Come back and just do whatever find fun without caring about things you don't find fun. If you don't come back, then you didn't find it fun and hopefully you find more happiness doing other things. Life's too short to be miserable.

For me personally, there are some things about TERA that I still find fun despite all the problems, and it will keep drawing me back.

This is the kind of answer that comes not only from a honest and friendly person but also someone that is a friend so i have to thank you.

Still, i am the kind of stubborn person that does not know when to quit so i will stick with Tera NA and especially since there are more things to come in the future but indeed it is better to chillout and add something in between Tera to not only add some diversity but also have more fun in a different way.

Anyway, i am also hoping to see better news from EME regarding the vanguard updates because as far as i know we will get normal rewards from February which is fine but i also hope that we will get the vanguard shop updated and most likely get 100% keen mote at IOD ( this one is actually more for the newcomes because players like me already shred the bams at this point though even in my case 100% keen makes it funnier ).