"Tera Online is Coming to PS4 And Xbox One"

http://deliddedtech.com/2016/05/17/tera-online-is-coming-to-ps4-and-xbox-one/

I almost cried when i read that ;_; you guys probably don't understand what that means for me, anyway, i hope this is true.

Comments

• JuudeJuude ✭✭✭
    Sadly, that is true.

Enjoy TERA while you still can, because once that releases, TERA PC will die off slowly.
  • PlagueFWCPlagueFWC ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    So does this mean BHS finally made a version of the game that doesn't drop to 3fps?

Also lol at the article saying that class balance in this game is even
  • JuudeJuude ✭✭✭
    PlagueFWC wrote: »
    So does this mean BHS finally made a version of the game that doesn't drop to 3fps?

Also lol at the article saying that class balance in this game is even

The guys that wrote the article obviously never played this game and BHS told them the class balance is even.
  • FleettFleett ✭✭✭✭
    Well, let's just HOPE and PRAY that if it does come, an optimization for PC comes along with it.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Assuming this whole thing is true:...

I have my doubts about how a game like this will play on a console. As we know, consoles are still much weaker than your average gamer PC, and games need to be specifically optimized or even made from scratch for the consoles. That's the reason I believe you see more ports from console to PC than the other way around. We all know both PS4 and X-One use similar architecture and pretty much the same GPU, so if you make a game for one, it will be easy to make for the other. But still. Tera is a very heavy game, even optimized. I wouldn't be surprised if the game ran still poorl on a current console in mid settings, with such bare stuff as even 512x512 textures(though that's mostly a RAM thing).

I certainly wouldn't see how a console could run a nexus-like event, like yesterday's

On the other side, people can speculate that if a console version is made, they should release a version for PC with the same optimizations. As for population, I can't say how many people here would drop the PC version for a console version. I assume people with low end computers may make the jump, as I'm also sure they will offer a one way opportunity to migrate an account from PC to a console (this was made on Warframe for both consoles, for example). But people with higher end PCs will want to stay, due to the still superior PC architecture, the ability to change settings at will, and to some, mods.
  • JuudeJuude ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Nopi wrote: »

I have my doubts about how a game like this will play on a console. As we know, consoles are still much weaker than your average gamer PC, and games need to be specifically optimized or even made from scratch for the consoles. That's the reason I believe you see more ports from console to PC than the other way around. We all know both PS4 and X-One use similar architecture and pretty much the same GPU, so if you make a game for one, it will be easy to make for the other. But still. Tera is a very heavy game, even optimized. I wouldn't be surprised if the game ran still poorl on a current console in mid settings, with such bare stuff as even 512x512 textures(though that's mostly a RAM thing).

I certainly wouldn't see how a console could run a nexus-like event, like yesterday's

On the other side, people can speculate that if a console version is made, they should release a version for PC with the same optimizations. As for population, I can't say how many people here would drop the PC version for a console version. I assume people with low end computers may make the jump, as I'm also sure they will offer a one way opportunity to migrate an account from PC to a console (this was made on Warframe for both consoles, for example). But people with higher end PCs will want to stay, due to the still superior PC architecture, the ability to change settings at will, and to some, mods.

Those of us that play TERA to tend to have vastly superior setups when you compare it to a console, however, would you rather play a game on PC that drops to as little as 20 frames when 7 people fight a boss while you're running pretty much top of the line hardware, or play one on a console that drops to about 30-40 while 7 people are fighting the same boss?

Most people that own a console would choose the latter, simply because it's troublesome to have to play with 20 frames or less. If they were to release a client update that is 64-bit for PC version so we can use all our hardware instead of only half of it, that would be great. It annoys me so much that i can run TERA, open my task manager, nothing even goes above 40% no matter how much i try to make it. I know i can run it much better than it currently runs, but the client doesn't allow me and others.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juude wrote: »
    Nopi wrote: »

Those of us that play TERA to tend to have vastly superior setups when you compare it to a console, however, would you rather play a game on PC that drops to as little as 20 frames when 7 people fight a boss while you're running pretty much top of the line hardware, or play one on a console that drops to about 30-40 while 7 people are fighting the same boss?

Most people that own a console would choose the latter, simply because it's troublesome to have to play with 20 frames or less. If they were to release a client update that is 64-bit for PC version so we can use all our hardware instead of only half of it, that would be great. It annoys me so much that i can run TERA, open my task manager, nothing even goes above 40% no matter how much i try to make it. I know i can run it much better than it currently runs, but the client doesn't allow me and others.

I'd assume if they ever made a version of Tera that doesn't drop frame rate as much for a console, the PC community will also ask for a fix for the PC client. Thing is, Tera benefits more from less, non hyper threaded cores with a higher speed. People usually say dual core mostly.
  • FeiiFeii ✭✭
    Seeing that I don't own a Ps4 or Xbox1, I'm not crazy about this.
    Besides, I've always preferred to play this game with my PC mouse and keyboard rather than connecting a controller. I've always found the controller to be a bit more annoying to use, especially when I need to switch between many skills/cancel them while moving the camera etc.

Maybe that's just me :/
  • Nopi wrote: »

Considering that FFXIV runs just fine on a PS4 and lower spec PCs and is a more graphically intensive game than TERA is, I think TERA will be just fine. However FFXIV uses a better engine and has the best optimization I've seen in an MMO in 15+ years. TERA runs like a [filtered] on my PC and I don't have a piece of [filtered], whereas WoW, FFXIV, and BnS always stay above 60-80fps on ultra (1440p). /shrug

Maybe they'll finally fix the horrible lag the UI causes? That would be a great thing!

• Ok, let the King speak from experience:

This event is going to cause a sudden increase in the number of bots. How do I know? Allow me to share from experience:

ESO, which I had to suddenly retire from due to a lack of disk space, I noticed an increase in botting starting a couple weeks before ESO released on console. Most of these bots were getting ready for console by loading up pre-programmed console memory cards onto the computer, checking everything to ensure it works, then once console releases, taking that memory card, loading it into console, and done.

Unfortunately, ZeniMax, the creators of ESO, were on the case quickly, and around 75% of the would-be bots were caught by ZeniMax and permanently banned before console launch. The remainder were quickly rounded up within the first week.

So, if TERA wants to release to console. fine, but they better have their anti-bot technology at the ready.

King
  • I don't see how its going to work.

How do you play a warrior with 219031203132904820 skills on console?
  • AistAist ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    FFXI / FFXIV work on console because positioning isnt as important or difficult and combat is much slower pace/tab targetting/and long GCDs. There is no way this would work on console without removing half the skills from a lot of classes and making positioning much easier/less important. Imagine trying to turn the camera around and move out of a fast attack using the controller. Or trying to Kite with a controller.

I know some people play with a controller, I have no idea how though without being terrible. Along with the host of other problems like graphics/fps and the terrible patching procedure with consoles.
  • GundouGundou ✭✭
    SgtKitteh wrote: »
    I don't see how its going to work.

How do you play a warrior with 219031203132904820 skills on console?

You can burn me all you want, it's fine, but I actually play TERA with an Xpadder Dualshock 2 controller setup. I utilized a method similar to Mechwarior.

28957965.jpg

Then its mostly a combination of the clutch keys on the L/R

Button

Ctrl + Button

Shift + Button

Alt + Button

Ctrl + Shift + Button

Ctrl + Alt + Button

Shift + Alt + Button

PS buttons for Attacks and Skills, Dpad Buttons for items. Left stick is movement, Right stick is camera (mouse movement). L3 is Jump, R3 is chained skill. R1 is Interact. Works with Warrior class. Healing is out of the question though.

Chat is back to the keyboard though. They'll probably cut that out of the console version in favor of microphone... which is bleh.
  • AistAist ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I dont think the problem with a controller is just the amount of skills, but camera positioning and movement are terrible with it. I tried playing this with a controller and I dont know how anyone would prefer it to KB+Mouse. Maybe it works for a healer or ranged class that doesnt care/know about back attacks?
  • Still skeptical, also because most MMORPGs(like FF14) has auto target i.e. you don't have to manually aim each skill.

An exception being ESO, but that only has 4 skills active at once on any class.

Once again, still skeptical.
This discussion has been closed.