[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/21 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

"Tera Online is Coming to PS4 And Xbox One"

Comments

• SinastriaSinastria ✭✭✭
    Who cares. I'm pretty sure they'll bring there a dumbed down version of the game to cater ultra casual players to gather some extra cash.

This is not going to affect us in the slighliest way.
  • Yumari wrote: »
    So... BHS has the money to sink into this... but can't find a decent coder to fix the game? Smh.

One of the articles explained that, in order to do this, the team is porting the game to a new engine. So if they're doing that, that may well be the best way to "fix the game" rather than trying to bandaid what's there. They could easily release a new PC version using that same engine as well. In fact, that would also explain why they're not going to bother spending the time on fixing this one now.

Do you have a link to that article ?
  • edited June 2016
    Espena wrote: »
    Yumari wrote: »
    So... BHS has the money to sink into this... but can't find a decent coder to fix the game? Smh.

One of the articles explained that, in order to do this, the team is porting the game to a new engine. So if they're doing that, that may well be the best way to "fix the game" rather than trying to bandaid what's there. They could easily release a new PC version using that same engine as well. In fact, that would also explain why they're not going to bother spending the time on fixing this one now.

Do you have a link to that article ?

The one I'm finding now is related to the mobile project, but I assume that if they're going to go to consoles as well, they would use the UE4 version and not the outdated/quasi-broken UE3 version the PC client is based off of.
  • I could go for this idea, only because buying a next gen console would be a lot cheaper for me than buying a gaming PC (and I'm sure a console would give me better performance than the potato I currently play on). However it's unlikely I could carry my TERA PC account over to some filthy plebian console, so I should probably just suck it up and buy a better PC.

As for the porting to console idea itself, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. It shows that BHS is still invested in the game and that they're looking to attract new customers; presumably they intend to use the new revenue to expand the game even further. It's proof that they haven't abandoned the original concept, meaning we can probably expect to continue to play TERA for years to come (and don't worry, it's unlikely that you'll have to share the same servers with "console plebs"; they'll probably be playing on their own servers).
  • VorlonVorlon ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Why would BH port Tera to playstation or xbox? What eastern gamers like and what western want is different. That is why the xbox has sold very poorly in Japan. A few years ago sega ported pso for console and it sold very badly. PC players in Korea, China, Taiwan, and to a lesser extent Japan are the majority of gamers of mmorpgs not counting the mobile and handheld platforms. Gamers play in pc cafes. Effectively, making a port to xbox and playstation would be a western port because the console population in Korea, Taiwan, and China is small. It would make more sense to make a port for playstation and leave out xbox. The xbox has a very small market share in Japan and Korea, which is Tera's two main markets. In January xbox sold 99 units in a country of over 125 million people. Microsoft should pull out the xbox from Japan and the eastern market. Not even pso2 has a console port to playstation, but they do have a mobile port. Actually, I just read a port to playstation 4 is planned this year for pso2.

Tera is an eastern mmorpg that will probably sell poorly if ported to console especially on the xbox. There is a reason why western games sell poorly in Korea/Japan and Korean/Japanese games don't sell in the west. The pso that was ported years ago is similar to Tera and it sold very poorly, which is why PSO2 was not port to the west by Sega. Tera will simply dig a deeper hole like what happen to the western port of pso. Tera is not Final Fantasy with many western followers.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the gaming community in the east is shifting to cellphones and tablets. In Japan it's said that a large amount of gamers do their gaming on the go, while riding the train or the bus because they have less time to sit in the living room to play a game, and as such, gaming companies like Square Enix are contemplating to end or severely slow down their production of console and PC games to focus on mobile platforms. That is, if articles like this are to be believed: http://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-15-end-console-gaming-japan/
    So if anything, Tera may have a much better future as an android/i-phone game, as was posted around already.
  • VorlonVorlon ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Nopi wrote: »
    A lot of the gaming community in the east is shifting to cellphones and tablets. In Japan it's said that a large amount of gamers do their gaming on the go, while riding the train or the bus because they have less time to sit in the living room to play a game, and as such, gaming companies like Square Enix are contemplating to end or severely slow down their production of console and PC games to focus on mobile platforms. That is, if articles like this are to be believed: http://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-15-end-console-gaming-japan/
    So if anything, Tera may have a much better future as an android/i-phone game, as was posted around already.

This is true. The mobile and handheld market is huge in Japan. Each year the console market share gets smaller. An android or i-phone port would be a safer bet. In korean and Japan, people either play pc in cafe or play on handle or mobile systems. If the Korean developers want to develop a game for korea and not for western players, then it makes no sense to make a console version. That is why I think BH will not make a console version. A mobile version is a good possibility, but not so much a console.
  • Vorlon wrote: »
    Nopi wrote: »

This is true. The mobile and handheld market is huge in Japan. Each year the console market share gets smaller. An android or i-phone port would be a safer bet. In korean and Japan, people either play pc in cafe or play on handle or mobile systems. If the Korean developers want to develop a game for korea and not for western players, then it makes no sense to make a console version. That is why I think BH will not make a console version. A mobile version is a good possibility, but not so much a console.

Well yeah, they've already announced that they're working on a mobile version, as I've linked to above. You're right that this is probably the primary play for Eastern markets. The consoles would probably be a partial play for the Western markets, but I agree they have to be careful to not over-estimate the demand as they did in the first place. In the end, it could also just be an exploratory project for them to build their expertise for another project down the road.
  • So, I just got enmasse email with a survey asking all about playing MMOs on a console. They only wanted people to answer the survey if you have an Xbox one or a ps4 . Looks like the console port is still a very real idea .
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have xbox scoprio and ps neo B)
  • shoetf2 wrote: »
    Everyone just gunna ignore the fact that MMO's that require multiple keybinds and flexible look controls don't work on consoles?

You couldn't be more wrong on that one, just look at ff14 and you will see it works just fine,add to that this is a action mmo that already fits a controller just fine. Also why do people ignore this fact, M&K controls has been a thing on consoles since the PS2 it's been up to developers not to be lazy enough to use them.
  • A. Im hoping that this does get ported to PS4. I have a Vita and i want to play this while taking a.... bath.

B. It would be easy to play on controller. I heal SSHM using a controller and mouse. Using the touchpad on ps4, i could see myself using ps4 predominantly.

Also, change is good.
  • Just so u guys know, I have been playing tera from day 1 on controller. I have all classes at 65 and geared. Moving tera to consoles in going to be great.
  • I want to be an Xbox1 Tera tester. My body is ready :awesome: @Spacecats
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    That necro is real.

Also, there is that off chance that the console version is only for KR.
This discussion has been closed.