[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/21 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

"Tera Online is Coming to PS4 And Xbox One"

Comments

• Aist wrote: »
    I dont think the problem with a controller is just the amount of skills, but camera positioning and movement are terrible with it. I tried playing this with a controller and I dont know how anyone would prefer it to KB+Mouse. Maybe it works for a healer or ranged class that doesnt care/know about back attacks?

they pimp out their ctrl
  • I highly doubt this will run any worse on console than on PC, and as far as controls, a lot of people seem to be forgetting that both XB and PS support keyboard and mouse. As for servers, they will probably have a console specific server (Wonderholme perhaps) that PC users can also create new characters on to join in for cross platform gaming if they plan to support it.
  • I honestly don't see the problem with the game coming out for console as it can only help the player count. Don't even talk about controls as players have already used them on PC (me included) and played something similar to FFXIV with its interchangeable hotbars with the R2 and L2 triggers, and the number of buttons including the directional ones, there is no issue with that. If your not used to it, to bad, its not for you anyway. Its for those who play the console to begin with. If its cross server then you honestly have no reason to think it would ruin PC, relax.
  • ahill3780 wrote: »
    I highly doubt this will run any worse on console than on PC, and as far as controls, a lot of people seem to be forgetting that both XB and PS support keyboard and mouse. As for servers, they will probably have a console specific server (Wonderholme perhaps) that PC users can also create new characters on to join in for cross platform gaming if they plan to support it.

No they don't. Yes a keyboard works for typing, but it doesn't have ingame uses besides text type stuff.
    XboxKB_zpsheq2rd5d.png

• edited March 2017
    ahill3780 wrote: »
    I highly doubt this will run any worse on console than on PC, and as far as controls, a lot of people seem to be forgetting that both XB and PS support keyboard and mouse. As for servers, they will probably have a console specific server (Wonderholme perhaps) that PC users can also create new characters on to join in for cross platform gaming if they plan to support it.

No they don't. Yes a keyboard works for typing, but it doesn't have ingame uses besides text type stuff.
    The developers can make it work in their games if they want to, even if they have to program some of their own stuff to handle it. It's not as if there's anything special about the "typing use" or the "command entry use" other than context. What they're implying in the screenshot is that the Xbox Team wants to add something to the core APIs that will allow developers to support it natively if they wish, and then they would use that to implement it in this game. But it's not as if a game developer couldn't program something to make it work in their game... it just means that, once it gets added natively to the system as part of the core API, the game developers would rework it.

I'm sure that, if the TERA port developers considered full keyboard + mouse support to be an essential feature, they could do it. But, at the same time, whether they do it or not could depend on whether or not PC and console players are on the same servers. If not, they may choose not to do it so that everyone is using controllers, for the same reason many other games like Overwatch do that.

• @Counterpoint

you are thinking like someone who isn't a big evil game company.

Sony/Microsoft make a lot of money from peripherals and they don't want you using a $20 keyboard and mouse instead of a $90 joypad.
    Furthermore, there is an element of product image as well, XB1 and PS4 are game consoles not PC's. (I do not work in marketing) but I can imagine that it might be harmful to the product image if it seen in a certain way contrary to its intent. If a game supported gaming with a KB then a 3rd party product developer might start selling knock off joypads that identify themselves as KB and get around the need for an authentication chip.

I do not own FF14 and cannot test it, but can you actually game with the mouse and KB? (not just type)

If you can then I am guessing that Squaresoft got special permission to allow a KB&M and may have had to pay for it as well.
  • edited March 2017
    I do not own FF14 and cannot test it, but can you actually game with the mouse and KB? (not just type)
    Yes, fully -- at complete feature parity with PC.

Even if they allow it for select games, it's not going to stop all the other mountains of games that need controllers. And besides, for most people, consoles are for couch experiences with their big screen TVs, so the amount of people who are going to set it up on a desk or something to use keyboard and mouse are small. Even if they offer that support for TERA, most people won't do it unless they get really serious about doing end-game content. I don't think they'll be all that worried for these sorts of edge cases, honestly.
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    One of the reason why I think having the game for consoles now is good, is mainly because of the player base able to use it more easily.

I say this because of the build of ps4 and xbox. They are all the same. Where as on pc not everyone of us have the exact same build which in fact gives us all different experiences with the game; some super awesome and some toxic in feel. Though I think they will still use the internect connection for the game. I feel that MAYBE, (without foreknowledge experience) that the ping issue for many players might be resolved? Especially for those of us using the EnMasse servers. It may be the same case as well for those that use the BHS Servers.

I don't really know because this is like my first mmo action game.
  • ahill3780 wrote: »

XboxKB_zpsheq2rd5d.png

Yes I have seen many tweets from phill Spencer talking about bringing mouse and keyboard to xbox one. he is even open for xbox one and ps4 cross play but Sony doesn't seem to want to do it, and with project scorpio on the way I can't wait to play this on xbox one
  • SanuienSanuien
    edited March 2017
    Interesting indeed, can't wait to try it on PS4.. I wonder if we'll be able to migrate our existing characters onto PS4/XB1 after Open Beta releases.. Not that I don't mind starting over but a choice would be nice (Tho I have not read any details about anything, so can someone clarify if theres such option or if the systems will be cross play?)
  • I for one am both excited an worried for this. The main reason being I don't really use my PC anymore (sides for bdo an revalation online) an I'm mostly on my PS4. So this makes me glad as now I can play whatever without having to switch from one system to the other. But this worries me as to how much slower it may end up being. Oh well guess time will tell. See yea in the beta

• FINALLY. I can play this on my PS4 :D
  • You're all giddy for this but bluehole has removed something that once gave Tera a unique edge. It's PvP.

You could go on about Power Hours or The Highly exploitable Civil Unrest. A console release might mean optimisations are in the works but honestly as it is in western markets. PvP is Key. Name the games you've played online that have team based battles on Consoles? Just off the top of my head.

Unreal Tournament
    Doom
    Halo
    CoD
    Quake
    CS: Global Offensive
    Even left 4 dead is still going.

If by some miracle PvP bounces back pre or post console release I can tell you the servers might just light up again. Hell people might even throw money at you again Enmasse.

• KoikoiKoikoi ✭✭✭
    @YJGDCY4KHF
    Possible this could revive bgs I would hope so but in the end what keeps players actually playing?

There is little to no content the gear grind is what people play the game for and as is with ALL bgs being EQ - if you're a pvper there's no point to play the current content.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koikoi wrote: »
    @YJGDCY4KHF
    Possible this could revive bgs I would hope so but in the end what keeps players actually playing?

There is little to no content the gear grind is what people play the game for and as is with ALL bgs being EQ - if you're a pvper there's no point to play the current content.

Maybe for you there is no point.

BGs being EQ makes them even more competitive and fair for most ppl, matching compositions can suck sometimes but as they are right now makes the ppl realize that only skill factor is going to be present on them.

If you think that there is no point to do content as pvper in Tera then there is no point for you to do pvp on any game since pvp on all games is about the same.

The only thing that Tera lacks against the most popular pvp games is profesional tournaments and that's something that depends more of external factors than in-game options.
    YJGDCY4KHF wrote: »
    You're all giddy for this but bluehole has removed something that once gave Tera a unique edge. It's PvP.

You could go on about Power Hours or The Highly exploitable Civil Unrest. A console release might mean optimisations are in the works but honestly as it is in western markets. PvP is Key. Name the games you've played online that have team based battles on Consoles? Just off the top of my head.

Unreal Tournament
    Doom
    Halo
    CoD
    Quake
    CS: Global Offensive
    Even left 4 dead is still going.

If by some miracle PvP bounces back pre or post console release I can tell you the servers might just light up again. [filtered] people might even throw money at you again Enmasse.

Do you have only shooters as example for PvP?

Not going to give us MMORGP or MOBAS examples for that? Like Wizards or Lord of the Rings.

You think Pvp is the key on western markets and i dont deny that but RPGs are not that popular on western market as shooters are also then should Tera only focus on Archers and Sorcerers and make the game a First Person also? That way western would be more atracted, oh and make them be able to shoot head and kill with rapid fire, that should made the game more apealing for wester market... maybe they just better make a new game that has nothing like Tera if that was the case.
This discussion has been closed.